Start by marking “Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All” as Want to Read:
Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All

Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All

You remember Unicorn. You know, Goat's friend? The one who can fly, make it rain cupcakes, and turn things into gold? On the first day of school, Unicorn expects to make his usual big splash. But no one pays him much attention--the other kids are much more interested in the latest trend in toys: rubber bands that look like other things. Unicorn comes up with a plan to get ...more
Published July 9th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

Mischenko
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Beautiful illustrations, but the story is all over the place and confusing. I normally don't rate children's books this low, but this is one neither my daughter or I enjoyed. Give it a try and see what you think.
Ireadkidsbooks
Nov 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was a hot mess.

The only thing I liked about this follow-up was the end papers (they'd be adorable as wrapping paper). And the spread where Unicorn has big bags under his eyes, because that's how I feel most days.

The first book was so good, but this was visually cluttered and frenetic. Skip it.
Ashton
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Blast to the Past with SILLY BANDS!
Erin Gunderson
Bob Shea books are usually a solid for me, but this one was a real disappointment, especially compared to Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great whihc is one of my all time favorites. There are too few unicorn books that have a good story, aren't too wordy, and make good read-alouds for preschoolers. For me, I thought the story in Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All was lacking some of charm of the first book. Perhaps part of that is because goat is my favorite character and there wasn't much of h ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Unicorn: Is Maybe Not So Great After All by Bob Shea. PICTURE BOOK. Disney, JULY 2019. $18. 9781368009447

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

When the kids at school get distracted by a new toy, Unicorn decides to be extra-sparkly-magical to get their attention back. Unfortunately it backfires.

Unicorn is super silly and also irritating in this long-awaited follow-up. Makes for a great read aloud and a possible discussion about the things that we do to get each other’s
Raven Black
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure how this compares to the first one as I have not read it. This time Unicorn is jealous of the new "hot thing" (rubber bands looking like other things: a soccer ball, wagon wheel, port holes...) and tries to make a new an improved Unicorn. Of course, the plan backfires with a face full of glitter. But Unicorn's friends show them what really is important. The abstractness of the illustrations are awkward for me, but there are a few hidden gems (like who the famous author who is coming to ...more
Pam
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Unicorn is back and upset that he's not the center of attention as the school year begins. He makes several choices to draw attention to himself and none of them work. He discovers his friends like him just as he is.
I like Shea's work but the unicorn series is a miss for me with the content. Illustrations are incredibly detailed and the aside comments are hilarious.
Angie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
Hmmm. I preordered this months ago because I loved the first one so much.
I am sorry to say ... I sort of wish I hadn't bothered. :/

Didn't know it was a back to school story. So I guess I may end up using it. If kids can get the sort of obtuse lesson of "even when you are annoying real friends stand by you." But it's not nearly as fun as the first one. Sad.
Maryanne
While a big fan of the original Unicorn book and Bob Shea in general - I had low expectations for this follow-up. It's actually a lot more charming than I would have thought - and a good back to school storytime choice for older readers.
Becky
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It's not amazing, but it's your typical Bob Shea weirdness that kind of either works for you or doesn't. My favorite part was: You've been super-annoying, for sure, but you're still our friend. Hilariously wise words.
Emily
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit disappointing, since I loved the first Unicorn book and generally Bob Shea always. But this one seemed super scattered. I would have trouble sharing it with a storytime group - I thought the story was hard to follow and there were tons of asides that felt shoehorned.
Emmanuel
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting. I’m not so sure what the significance of a unicorn is. The only visual I was able to generate was “My little pony” television show. I know the rainbow is associated with the LGBT community, but I don’t know if this is relevant.
Victoria M
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't understand what I just attempted to read. Way too much distracting text and colors.
Roseann Podias
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An over confident, over enthusiastic unicorn, what's not to love.
Sasha
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
First question: Why?
Second question: Is it because you hate me?
Third question: this is not a question. This book is a big no.
Has Unicorn lost his sparkle? How can he win over his friends who are obsessed by the latest rubber band craze and regain his place as Most Special Thing?
Michele Knott
Missing the charm of the first one but still has a good lesson to learn.
Kate Foran
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A little too long and not as endearing/funny as I expected it to be.

Still, it’s cute and colorful and has beloved Bob Shea characters. Worth it for fans.
Ruth Anne
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
A fun story about Unicorn and his faithful friends.
Kaitlyn
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is best when you're running on zero hours of sleep and do all the voices, LOL. I love the unicorn books.
Annese
Jul 10, 2019
Haley
Jul 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.