Start by marking “Migration: Incredible Animal Journeys” as Want to Read:
Migration: Incredible Animal Journeys

Migration: Incredible Animal Journeys

Animals of all shapes and sizes make epic journeys across our planet, through harsh weather, avoiding hungry predators, in their efforts to survive. Travel around the globe with some of the world's most incredible animals and discover their unique migration stories.

Follow the emperor penguin through snow, ice and bitter temperatures; watch as the great white shark swims 10
Published August 6th 2019 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published May 24th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Migration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Migration

Start your review of Migration: Incredible Animal Journeys
Edward Sullivan
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful double page-spread illustrations and accessible, interesting information for young readers.
Barbara
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every book that I've seen that has been illustrated by Jenni Desmond is simply stunningly beautiful and gives me increased appreciation for nature. This informational book is no exception as she uses watercolor, acrylic, ink, pencil, and pencil crayons to depict 20 different species that are known for their migration patterns. Some are long-distance travelers and some return to the same place year after year while others look for new places to give birth and to feed. Starting with the humpback w ...more
Moonkiszt
Featured in grandma reads chapter book sessions.

Author Mike Unwin teamed up with Illustrator Jenni Desmond, hitting a home run with their book Migration: Incredible Animal Journeys. We divided this book over two sessions, 10 migrating animals in each, for a total of 20 animals to consider. The art and the accompanying brief text is thoughtful and thorough. Enough to keep our littlest listener present for most of it.

Each of the 20 animals' migration is shown on an informational map at the end of
Debbie
Dry as dust is the best way to describe this book. While the drawings were amazing, the descriptions of the individual animals and their migrations were incredibly short, likely for young readers. Not one description created in me any desire to learn more. They were so boring I could only tolerate reading about 3 animals a day. A 47 page book should really not take an adult 7 days to read. I was so looking forward to it and so disappointed by it.
V
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t, 2019t

Why we chose this book:
We (I) have been on a non-fiction kick lately, and T and I both enjoy animals. A cover featuring my favorite bird caught my eye, and when I saw that the book was a collection of individual stories, I expected a good fit. T likes non-fiction books that he can flip though to select a topic to learn about. Bloomsbury Children's Books provided a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Review
Migration is an introduction to the migratory habits of twenty different creatures
Jordyn Strack
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
This book contains information about different animals and their migration journeys. I have never been much of a fan of nonfiction books, but this one had beautiful illustrations that pulled me in from the first page. I enjoyed reading through the different pages because I learned new things about animals that I am already fairly familiar with. I also loved the way this book was written, with language that is both educational and engaging. I think this book could be used with grades 3-5, because ...more
Claudia
Definitely for the younger reader but provides an example of twenty different animals that migrate from the Humpback whale to the ruby-throated hummingbird going from the Maritimes of Canada to southern Central America over the Gulf. From the bar-headed goose who crosses the Himalayan Mountains to the monarch butterfly which takes four generations to make the round trip from Canada to Mexico and back. The wandering albatross which may not actually set foot on land for months or even years althou ...more
Tasha
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Explore the many animals who migrate each year from all over the world in this nonfiction picture book. The book focuses on each animal’s amazing journey and provides a wide look at migration in general, the various types of animals who migrate, and the specific story of each animal. The animals include birds like the emperor penguin, the Arctic tern, the swallow, and the ruby-throated hummingbird. It also tells the story of mammals like the whales, elephants and caribou. Then there are surprisi ...more
Kyra Nay
Oversize trim and stunning illustrations beckon the reader to join the masses of migrating animals, from the fluttering monarch butterfly to the creeping Christmas Island red crabs to the lumbering caribou. The illustrations really capture the scale of these migrations – I especially enjoyed the spread with a sky full of bats at sunset and the vast herd of wildebeests on the Serengeti plains.

The scope of the artwork pairs well with Unwin’s text, which invites readers to imagine the sights and s
Amy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Join the celebration as millions of animals take their migratory trek all around the globe. The incredible migration stories of 19 animals are highlighted in, Migration Incredible Animal Journeys releasing this summer.
From humpback whales, emperor penguins, great white sharks, to even hummingbirds and dragonflies, all different types of animal species need to migrate to survive. Picturesque illustrations capture each animal as they make their journey through deserts, oceans, skies, or mountains.
Christine Turner

Contents: Animals on the move -- A whale of a journey: humpback whale -- Ice march: emperor penguins -- Caribou crossing: caribou -- Pole to pole: Arctic tern -- Forest of flutter: monarch butterfly -- Traveling dancers: whooping crane -- Off to Africa: barn swallow -- Flight of the dragons: globe skimmer dragonfly -- Shoal survivors: Southern African pilchard -- Wandering wings: wandering albatross -- River of crabs: Christmas Island red crab -- Humming over oceans: ruby-throated hummingbird --
Erin
Jenni Desmond could illustrate a paper bag and it would be gorgeous. These animals are stunning.

Worth reading for the illustrations alone, there are also surprising facts along the way. I was fascinated that no monarch migrates both ways, but instead it takes four generations to make the round trip. This is true for the globe skimmer dragonfly as well. There are also reminders that we don't know everything yet: while the sardine run is a documented phenomenon, no one yet knows how they return to
Laurie Hnatiuk
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is a wonderful way to introduce migration to young readers. Mike Unwin provides just enough information to understand the migration path of a variety of animals all around the world without overwhelming readers. The art of Jenni Desmond fills the two pages and becomes as much of the focus as the words on the page without overshadowing the information presented. A perfect balance allowing readers to garner knowledge from both the text and the illustrations with a bonus map at the end showing ...more
Rachael Jones
I'm really excited to get this book and use it in my classroom. It's full of various different species of animals that go through yearly migrations with beautiful art that goes along with it and the text is in small digestible chunks that could be used for various types of analysis very easily in the classroom. It's also just a beautiful book which is always a plus. and there's a map in the back of the book that has dotted lines for each of the migration patterns which is a really awesome bonus. ...more
Rachel Chapman
This informational picture book has beautiful watercolor spreads for over twenty animals detailing their migration journey. It reads more like an informational anthology than a traditional picture book/story (it is not one concise narrative, rather 20 smaller ones). It is much longer than a traditional picture book, and even has a table of contents! This would be great to supplement curriculum in upper elementary. The back of the book has a migration key map and more facts, but no bibliography.
Billy
Jun 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I misread the promo on this one and got the children's book. It is well illustrated and tells some great stories of birds, bugs, and mammals going to great lengths to find food, take care of their young and procreate. I wish the author had included purple martins among the birds featured, but if the swifts and swallows he tells about are indicative, my martins fledge in about a month and are on their way to Brazil or Central America in about 2 months- amazing! ...more
Alice
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-beehive
This book is going to be ordered for our library. I- ILL these books and if they are good, I put in a order. (I only do them for this list of book our budget is so tight ILL is cheaper than buying all the books on the list!)

I love the art work, and the information. YES!
I love at the end end it has the migration maps! That is sooooo cool!!
Madeline Knauff
I specially enjoyed this book due to the fact that I really love animals and the reasons why they do things. I like understanding their complex thoughts and this book really fit my personality well. I would recommend this book to anyone who finds animals interesting it can really go with any age group as well.
Samantha Mairson
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grades 6+
This book is made spectacular by the illustrations. The small text features on each page highlight the important facts in clean, efficient language. The map in the back ties the animal stories together. The bulk of the text reads like a nature documentary, making this book the ideal choice for conversion to wonderbook (embedded audio player).
Mary
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The large format book presents one of a selection of 20 animals every two pages. Each animal has a short paragraph naming it and describing its migration, several more paragraphs with more description, and a beautiful drawing of it ad its habitat. In the back of the book is a world map with lines for the journeys of each animal.
Linda
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated picture book that focuses on the migrations of 20 animal species. I love how this book can grow with the child. Very young children will enjoy the short print-faced paragraph about each animal. An older child will appreciate the detailed information from the longer, type-faced paragraphs.
Elizabeth S
So fascinating. Covering 20 amazing animal migrations. As with many nonfiction science books, there is a lot of detail on every page, making it hard to use as a read-aloud. However, this book also provides an informative, one sentence long fact for each migration. For younger listeners, you could read just this sentence and still have a valuable book.
Melissa
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eat, Reproduce, Surive, Repeat. Migrate if necessary to accomplish these goals. Books like this remind me just how much I was learning as a kid from movies and stories. Too bad I didn't realize that information back then. ...more
Agnès
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful.
Emma
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning illustrations and interesting information for young readers.
Brenda
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a fabulous mentor text - or interest read-alone. Double page spread honor the exceptional achievement of animals and their outstanding habits.
Pair with Cynthia Rylant's Migrations.
Rosalyn Davey
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful book!
Emma
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations and I learned some really amazing things about some incredible creatures!
Lewestover
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to share with children who want to know the hows and whys of everything! I was amazed at how much I learned from this quick read.
Kristina Spralja
Informative and enjoyable, plus cool illustrations.

• The Proper Way to Meet a Hedgehog and Other How-To Poems
  • Birdsong
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • We Are Water Protectors
See top shelves…
Mike Unwin is a celebrated wildlife and travel writer known for his books and journalism, and also a photographer, illustrator, and popular speaker.

News & Interviews