Start by marking “Once Upon a Rainbow, Volume Three” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Rainbow, Volume Three

Once Upon a Rainbow, Volume Three

Your favorite stories from childhood have a new twist. Seven fairy tales of old with characters across the LGBTQIA+ spectrum.

Green Things Grow from Cinders by A.E. Ross – Glass slippers aren’t for everyone.

Gretel on Her Own by Elna Holst – This time around, Gretel Kindermann is on her own. Or is she?

Bremen Town Musicians by Mark Lesney – Loss and love on the road to Bremen
ebook
Published July 2nd 2018 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Rainbow, Volume Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Rainbow, Volume Three

Start your review of Once Upon a Rainbow, Volume Three
Lou
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The premise here is a fantastic one, it really makes me wonder why these age-old stories haven't been retold to include the LGBTQIA+ community before this. I love the idea of inclusive stories and I also adore fairytales as much as the next gal so these two things together is right up my street. I have been an avid reader of all of the retellings that have been published recently but none of them accomplish the objective of inclusivity like "Once Upon A Rainbow".

Each of these retellings puts a n
Alexa
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Average rating: 4 stars

Overall thoughts: This was a bit of a mixed bag. There were some stories I really loved, and others I really didn't. I did appreciate that it wasn't only cis LG retellings, and there were ace and trans characters in some of the stories as well. (Well, one of each, really.)

baile de marioneta by w.m. fawkes: cis M/M. A guy carves a naked guy from wood for his class and the wood guy comes to life. The moment
Suzanne
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The latest edition of Ninestar Press's Once Upon a Rainbow series is thoroughly charming. The premise is simple: queer retellings of classic fairy tales, but the execution is, for lack of a better word, magical. I haven't read the first two volumes, but bought them immediately upon finishing this review copy. As with their Into the Mystic anthologies, Ninestar's editorial chops are on full display here - none of the stories stand out as "filler." Yes, there are a few that worked better for me th ...more
Mike
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good collection of fairly long stories. The standouts (5 stars) were The Rescue by Sam Burns and the two Cinderella stories, Loose in the Heel, Tight in the Toe by Valentine Wheeler and Green Things Grow from Cinders by A.E. Ross. The first one was a twist on the new classic idea of a dragon hoarding a princess who may not really want to come home, and the Cinderella stories were right next to each other but completely different (marriage of convenience and a brand new suit, respectively).

4 star
Rachel Simson
Not so long ago I read Ninestar press' short story anthology 'Into the Mystic V.3" which I awarded 4 stars. Because of that I was really excited to read Once Upon A Rainbow V.3 when I saw it on Netgallery. But it turned out to be a disappointment. I didn't enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed Into the Mystic, the stories were less interesting and were not written as well as they were in the other anthology. This is for the reasons I will outline below.
Baile De La Marioneta - W.M. Fawkes
This story
Kendra T
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anthology of works that took an LGBT twist on some fairy tales. There were gay men, lesbians, asexual, and trans stories included, and it was a nice collection overall.

Baile de la Marioneta by W.M. Fawkes
This was super awkward at times (with Tecun being wooden-lol), but a very interesting concept and twist on Pinocchio. It worked itself out in the end, and it was cool how it did. 3 stars me

Loose in the Heel, Tight in the Toe by Valentine Wheeler
I liked this take on Cinderella; one character was
Nicole Diskin
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC thanks to Net Galley and Nine Star Press!
once upon a rainbow is a collection of re-imagined fairy tales that were a wonderfully fun sweet read that I just flew right through in almost one sitting!
the first tale Balie de Marioneta is a great and original retelling of Pinocchio and I loved every second of this sweet and steamy tale!
Loose in the heel tight in the toe was an interesting and unique take on Cinderella!
Green things grow in the cinders was also a unique
Valentine Wheeler
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-did-that
A really nice collection of stories! I loved Green Things Grow from Cinders- a really neat take and a beautiful collection of characters. I wanted more of it! I also really liked The Rescue - I gasped out loud at the reveal and I loved Primrose especially. Great stuff!

Disclaimer: I also really like my own piece in here :)
Elna Holst
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
April
Nov 27, 2018
E.G. Jönsson
Dec 23, 2018
Alexis
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting collection of stories that follow the theme well, Some are difficult to tell where the inspiration comes from, while others are crystal clear. I don't usually enjoy Cinderella stories, but found that my favourite stories in the collection were the ones inspired by that story. There is a great mix of diversity and pairings, and I liked that Ace people were represented in my favourite story, where Cinderella marries an Ace prince who agrees she can see women in their marria ...more
Tom
Apr 10, 2019
Sydney
added it
May 31, 2019

• Ravenfell (Wytch Kings, #6)
  • Alliance in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #1)
  • Creatures of Habit (Chosen #27)
  • Ties of Destiny (Curse of the Crown #1)
  • The Marked Prince (The Darkest Court, #2)
  • Ties of Magic (Curse of the Crown #2)
  • The Homecoming
  • My Man Godric
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • The Witch's Blood (The Ellwood Chronicles #3)
  • Destiny & Dragons (Fairy Tales for All #3)
  • Potions & Prisons (Fairy Tales for All #2)
  • The Courtship of Julian St. Albans (Consulting Magic, #1)
  • The False King (The Cerith Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • Wolves of Black Pine  (The Wolfkin Saga #1)
  • Pendulum (Kingdom of Night, #1)
  • Let Down Your Hair (Fairy Tales for All #1)
  • Not That Angelic (Chosen #28)
W.M. Fawkes is an author of LGBTQ+ urban fantasy and paranormal romance. With coauthor Sam Burns, she writes feisty Greek gods, men, and monsters in the Lords of the Underworld series. She lives with her partner in a house owned by three halloween-hued felines that dabble regularly in shadow walking.

News & Interviews