Start by marking “Getting Started in Consulting ” as Want to Read:
Getting Started in Consulting

Getting Started in Consulting

A new revision of the successful guidebook for novice consultants
Getting Started in Consulting, Second Edition provides practical solutions and proven strategies for launching a consulting business. Readers will learn how low overhead and a high degree of organization can translate into a six-figure income working from a home office. The book also offers key information o
Paperback, 2nd edition, 304 pages
Published December 19th 2003 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started in Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started in Consulting

Start your review of Getting Started in Consulting
Deborah
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
There were some good nuggets of information for anyone contemplating a shift to consulting. Ultimately, it convinced me I need to work for someone else. But that's why do research, isn't it?

Definitely get the second edition. Some of the tech recommendations are outdated since the 2004 update, such as his suggestion to get a mobile phone or to get internet through your cable company because it is faster than dialup - practices that are now standard. It shows how quickly our technology changes.
Cnd
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A few outdated stuff in this book. Gives a good blueprint of the consulting field. I read this as I was considering adding a consultative element to my marketing business. I would focus on the philosophy behind the concepts more than anything, although, some of the ideas can be immediately applicable. I have used a few concepts with some success.
Dolphin Mom
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is very useful for those considering setting up a consulting business. There are lots of practical ideas. That said, there is some outdated material.
Alejandro I Sanoja
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you want to be a successful consultant, THIS IS THE BOOK YOU MUST READ!

Alan does a great job of explaining EVERY DETAIL that you have to take care of to build a successful business as an independent consultant.

Everything from how to set up your business, your marketing, sales process, proposals, etc. Also, even if you've been consulting for several years you will likely pick some best-practices from this book.

This is a great book to read once and then keep as a reference when dealing with s
Nikos Korexenidis
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Outdated
Patrick
A comprehensive introduction to setting up your own consulting practice. Full of practical and useful tips around insurance, facilities, marketing, sales, and pricing. Comes with examples and appendices.

I only gave this book three stars because I'm not looking to start my own shop. I'm happily consulting for another firm, so most of this book wasn't actually useful to me. If I were going to strike out on my own, I think this is the first place I'd turn. Even so, I found the chapters on proposal
Alex Devero
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
There are several steps to creating a great consulting business, and by investing time and effort in each, you’ll be able to make a strong start in your new profession. Once your business is off the ground, you can then turn your focus toward growing your business, sharing your wisdom and, above all, doing fulfilling work.
Anna
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a good book with sound advice on how to market and value your consulting services. Some parts are a bit old and outdated but the overall message is clear. Will start the journey next month and will update the review once the results are available.
Marie
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business
A friend who had started her own business recommended this book to me. I found it to be a great start in setting up my own consulting business. I haven't followed everything Weiss recommends (for example, he recommends you mark up your subconsultants by up to 50 percent!), but I used it for the basics. I especially appreciated the way he inserted words of wisdom from other people who had set up their own consulting firms.

It tends to be more male focused, while much of what I've been reading and
Tibor Konig
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kicsit amerikai (olyan feltételekkel dolgozik, amelyek itt nem állnak rendelkezésre), de nagyon hasznos. Tegyük oda a "Könyvek, amiket tanítani kéne idehaza" sorozatba.
Ray Moss
Mar 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
highly outdated
Zach Roesch
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Some good nuggets in here still but you have to read around the dated parts to get them. I will definitely seek out the 4th edition coming out in April 2019.
Randolph Breschini
A quick read...the basics of consulting...good for he or she who plans to make consulting his or her full-time profession. The book is a bit outdated in terms of technology...
Sejiro Micheal
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cant really open this book ,have tried but is not opening. Pls I need a guide
Kalyan Tirunahari
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: entreprneur
Tricks of the trade for setting up own consulting business practice. How to go about logistics, and establishing your brand value. Executing over deliberating for quicker better results.
Hannes Monaghan
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alan writes in a clear, concise and entertaining manner. This book goes into the detail of establishing a consulting business. The book offers practical and actionable advice.
Χρήστος
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Didn't learn but a think or two
IzkanDar
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
pekerjaanku kadang-kadang pelrukan rundingan, gagal merunding makna gagal melangkah. muhasabah dan baiki cara berunding
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Si quieres empezar a pensar en poner un negocio - no sólo uno de consultoría - empieza por este libro. Más cuando lo relea.

En este libro Alan Weiss explica en formato A-B-C qué hay que hacer para montar un negocio de consultoría y que funcione, y además cómo ir creciendo para ir ganando más y más dinero. Es una lectura excelsa por un lado, porque es motivante ver la cantidad de cosas que puedes hacer para que un negocio funcione. Por otro lado, si llevas tiempo en este negocio, es descorazonador
Leticia Supple
This book was referred to me by someone new to consulting, and as a result I didn't expect to get much out of it. I read it anyway because I figured that if I got one new thing from it, then it was worthwhile.

Cue my surprise to find a practical, no bullshit, applied work. Of most value to me three years into this game was the chapter on products and pricing.

Even though it's dated (the section talking about phone lines and faxes will make you smirk to yourself) much of it is extremely useful.
Darryn Green
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly useful, though I admit this edition is a bit outdated. I found it very useful in helping me close the gap of knowledge of the field of consulting. The author incorporates a wellspring of insight, tools, times and suggestions that I have enjoyed putting into practice. I enjoyed the authors style of writing and his candor the most. I'd definitely recommend anyone considering starting in consulting to check out a newer edition of this book (just to make sure you get some more up to date ...more
Ilnur Miftakhov
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Книга получилась мега-важная для меня, вполне просоответствовала ожиданиям. Пошагово, доступно и понятно раскладывает актуальную для меня тему, развинчивая кучу тревог и непоняток. Супер. Наверное, стоит заказать бумажный экземпляр, книга вполне тянет на настольную. Для тех, кто задумывает консалтинговую практику – маст рид.
Holly
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
For someone exploring with no background in the subject matter, it sure gives a lot to consider. I would not suggest that this is prescriptive because, after all, it's your own business that you are starting. (I read the 3rd edition)
Michael Boezi
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A little outdated this point (I'm not going to be purchasing a fax machine, for instance), but the core principles are solid. I found it to be very useful, and learned some things that I might not have considered—but probably would have learned the hard way. Thank you, Alan Weiss!
Blessing Ezedinma Akupue
Mar 19, 2015 marked it as to-read
Very helpful
Keshia
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book many years ago and it is still my go-to book for anything consulting.
Ben Z.
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Essential, required reading for anyone who's considering becoming a full-time consultant.
Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career
The perfect roadmap for anyone considering a career in consulting. Lays out the exact steps and requirements for anyone to begin a sucessful consulting practice. Highly recommended!
Bernadette Wright
Many useful tips and examples for building up a new consulting practice to become a sustainable, high growth business.
Nick
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Yes, I learned a lot from this book that I need right now as I ramp up my consulting business.
Blackstone Intelligence Group 1 1 Apr 22, 2019 09:48AM
Expert Sales Coaching from ASHER Strategies 1 1 Jul 01, 2018 11:29PM
Corporate sales training 1 1 Apr 19, 2018 11:54PM
Få grunderna i utvecklingspolitik in Singapore: The Keeley Consulting Group 1 2 Jun 18, 2015 05:36PM

• Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepreneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • Ethics for the Real World: Creating a Personal Code to Guide Decisions in Work and Life
  • Driven: How Human Nature Shapes our Choices