Start by marking “How to Catch a Unicorn” as Want to Read:
How to Catch a Unicorn

How to Catch a Unicorn

A New York Times bestseller! Try to catch one of the world's most elusive mythical creatures--the unicorn! Filled with zany traps and lots of rainbow unicorn fun, this is the unicorn book of the year!

Can you catch the unicorn?
You'll have to use your brain,
So set your traps and prep your team
To pet that rainbow mane!

Also in the How to Catch Series:
How to Catch a Mermaid
Published March 5th 2019 by Sourcebooks Wonderland

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch a Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Catch a Unicorn

Start your review of How to Catch a Unicorn
Schizanthus
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
image by Ivona Design
Happy Unicorn Day!

This was everything I want in a unicorn book! It was a fun read and the illustrations were bright and colourful, with plenty of glitter and rainbows (plus the requisite reference to unicorn flatulence).
description
From ice cream traps to butterfly nets, a group of kids try their best to catch a wiley unicorn through the zoo’s exhibits but this unicorn has a host of animal friends ready to help it evade capture.

I smiled my way through this book and particularly loved Andy
Gina
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
The unicorn seemed to be attracted to every trap for not actually wanting to be caught. Kind of annoying.
Sara
Sep 20, 2019 added it
This book gave absolutely no information on how to catch a unicorn. At best, this is a guide on how NOT to catch one. 0/10 would not recommend.
Emma (Miss Print)
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was okay. The rhyming text is very forced--it really adds nothing to the story and the cadence is working at cross purposes with the pacing of the story. The artwork is hyper stylized in a way that I find off putting and there is some weird text design happening where one word on every page is HIGHLIGHTED by being in a different font or color. But there isn't any method to which word it is. Fun for unicorn superfans but not one I'll be putting into my storytime rotation.
Ben Truong
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I am babysitting my nieces and nephew tonight and it is the littlest turn to choose the book and she chosen this one. How to Catch a Unicorn is a children's picture book written by Adam Wallace and illustrated by Andy Elkerton. It follows a group of children at a zoo trying to find and catch the illusive unicorn.

Wallace's text is rather simplistic, straightforward, and lyrical. In rhyming text that is rather forced in some places is written from the view of a unicorn as this mythical creature
Thumbnail That
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a really fun book to read to your kids–you have found it. Not only is it a catch me if you can, it also exposes the readers to different animals at the zoo too. The cunning unicorn is a real hoot! Just when the kids think they’ve caught the unicorn, it outsmarts them at every turn. The size of the book is easy for a younger kid to handle easily and I predict that this will be their go-to book for quite some time. I loved how the unicorn is never fully in sight which builds ...more
Nava Rubinstein
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Awards: N/A
Grade Level: K-3
Original Summary: Unicorn is bored and is looking for something fun to do. A trip to the zoo sounds perfect but she knows she will have to avoid all of the little children trying to catch and trap her. Will Unicorn be able to save herself from getting caught?
Review: This book had very cute and detailed illustrations that are sure to keep readers entertained as they rhyme through Unicorn's journey through the zoo. Silly and creative, How to Catch Unicorn is a great read
Kirsten Hunt
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Catch a Unicorn is a realistic fiction children's picture book. It is intended for children ages four to ten. This story is about a unicorn who decides to go to the zoo, but is seen by a group of children who try to trap it. I rated it five stars because it is a fun story to read to all ages, boys and girls. The unicorn tells the story and the other characters are the five children and the animals in the zoo. The setting is at the zoo and, throughout the story, the unicorn goes through ...more
Ellon
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, edelweiss
Definitely my least favorite of the "How to Catch..." series. Mostly because I volunteer at a zoo and I loathe the depiction of the zoo in this book. All the exhibits were bare concrete with metal gates. Has Wallace been to a zoo in the last decade?!? Zoos are not like that anymore!

I did think that the rhyming was cute but the text threw me a little since all the other books in the series are told from the perspective of the kids trying to catch the creature but this one is written as the
BreeAnn
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
What my kid Loved: The colors and the unicorn on every page.
How my kid Felt: Happy, about the pictures, but a bit confused about the story.
To Read or Not To Read: It's a beautiful book, but the traps set by the kids at the zoo are hard to explain to the kid you are reading to because they aren't described in the book.

The book follows a unicorn visiting a zoo. The visiting children think they can catch it. Each page visits another zoo animal that helps the unicorn escape a trap set by the
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Overall, a fun, engaging read, perfect for young unicorn-lovers.

I most enjoyed the fun and colorful details in the illustrations. All of the trap designs were interesting and it was neat to see how the animal friends helped prevent the unicorn from getting caught.

I also thought the rhyming was good. It had a nice rhythm to it and gave the book a nice flow in my opinion.

A silly book filled with cuteness and magic.
Kadie Speller
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-4
A unicorn goes on a trip to the zoo, but is seen by kids. The unicorn is trying to escape from the kids, who are setting traps to catch the unicorn. The unicorn has friends at the zoo to help keep the unicorn safe. Monkeys, snakes, beavers, and many other animals help the unicorn escape the zoo without getting trapped. This story allows students to see many different animals and also has rhyming throughout the whole story.
Tayler K
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fourth star just for all the colors and glitter and cute snacks! I also love the raised text and glitter on the cover--great texture.

A rhyming romp through the zoo, where a group of kids are hot on the unicorn's trail, but the zoo animals help the unicorn escape!

I love the kid in the unicorn shirt--he's just freaking out the whole time. Reminded me of me (not that I'm a chipper person, but I can get really excited about stuff I like).
Sandra
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My grand daughter absolutely loves this book!! I borrowed it from the library and read it to her so many times that I finally had to purchase a book for her to keep. I am a children's librarian as well and the children love this book. We can not keep it on the shelves. I do not know what the critics are thinking. It is meant to be fun and silly. It is a children's book after all and children seem to really enjoy reading it over and over.
Nicola
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colourful picture book that Miss 5 liked basically because it involved a unicorn!

Miss 5 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Madison
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
The unicorn decides to visit his friends the animals at the zoo. A group of children try various traps to catch him, but fail due to the zoo animals help. The illustrations are darling, but the wording doesn’t flow easily.
Clwseattle
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
How to Catch a Unicorn is certainly bright and inventive in its rhyming, but it's not a book I'll buy. Thank heavens for my library! I will continue to read children's books before I buy them.
N.A. Wolf
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a cute story but I was expecting more of a guide on catching unicorns versus the failed attempts you get here. This is more a narrative by the unicorn on how it evades the children. All in all my daughter will love this book when she opens it on her birthday.
Amanda
May 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book, but I found it to be way too campy. I can understand why young children might like it (trying to be tricky, the traps they set, etc.) but I would not pick this up to share it with anyone.
Sandy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute, but after reading it to 4 year old over and over and over again...it wears out quickly.
Valleri
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trying to catch this colorful creature proves difficult throughout this fun book. Each page kept our attention as we journeyed along, trying to catch a unicorn.
Cris
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not what I expected. The title should really be something like (view spoiler).

It has some cute elements, but overall not anything unusual or impressive.
Stefanie Kellum
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss.
Pug
"farting glitter"

Things I didn't like:
rhymes
mean kids
trying too hard to push diversity (enough already, I get it)
Tori
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals, rhyming, unicorns, zoo
A unicorn visits the zoo, where she's chased by a pack of children determined to catch her in a trap. She escapes with the help of all her animal friends.
Mrs. Krajewski
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
My daughter says this is a 4 title. ...more
Courtnei
This was a fun read! I think it would make a good read aloud for preschool or older.
Alyssa Tabor
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Will skip for storytime.
Kelly
I loved the illustrations...they were very engaging. It's a cute, whimsical story.
Viviane Elbee
Kids try to set traps to catch a unicorn, but the unicorn cleverly escapes each time.

• Unicorn Day
  • Dear Boy,
  • The Good Egg
  • The Little Red Fort
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • Dragons Eat Noodles on Tuesdays
  • How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps
  • Underwear!
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True (Uni the Unicorn, #2)
Adam Wallace is a Three time New York Times Bestselling author and cartoonist who loves writing and drawing ... this is lucky ... because he's an author and cartoonist who writes and draws!
Adam's passion is to bring excitement and energy and humour and joy to children (of all ages!) through his books and videos.
He spends his non-writing time thinking about writing and going to as many live music