Start by marking “How to Catch a Unicorn” as Want to Read:
How to Catch a Unicorn

How to Catch a Unicorn

(How to Catch)

The #1 New York Times bestseller! Try to catch one of the world's most elusive mythical creatures--the unicorn! Filled with zany traps and lots of rainbow unicorn fun, this is the unicorn book of the year!

Can you catch the unicorn?
You'll have to use your brain,
So set your traps and prep your team
To pet that rainbow mane!

Also in the How to Catch Series:
How to Catch a Me
Published March 5th 2019 by Sourcebooks Wonderland

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch a Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Catch a Unicorn

Start your review of How to Catch a Unicorn
Calista
The How to Catch series is popular in our house. This is about a unicorn so the niece wanted to read this herself.

There is a group of children at the zoo and a unicorn is visiting her friends there when the children spot her. The kids begin setting traps for the unicorn and all the animals help her get free. The best, in my opinion, was when there was a rope to pull a trap shut and the snakes were on the rope so that the kids wouldn’t touch them.

It’s cute and simple. The art is like cotton can
Schizanthus Nerd
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
image by Ivona Design
🦄 Happy Unicorn Day! 🦄

This was everything I want in a unicorn book! It was a fun read and the illustrations were bright and colourful, with plenty of glitter and rainbows (plus the requisite reference to unicorn flatulence).
description
From ice cream traps to butterfly nets, a group of kids try their best to catch a wiley unicorn through the zoo’s exhibits but this unicorn has a host of animal friends ready to help it evade capture.

I smiled my way through this book and particularly loved Andy E
MissBecka Gee
Poor unicorn.
Always being chased and never able to just hangout and have fun.

The art is awesome, the rhyming text has an easy cadence and the story is cute.
🌈🦄🌈Definitely something we will enjoy adding to our collection.🌈🦄🌈
Gina
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
The unicorn seemed to be attracted to every trap for not actually wanting to be caught. Kind of annoying.
Susan
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Taj, age 5: I like this book so much and I didn’t know that I would like it so much.

Harper, age 7: I would give it 3 stars because the cover says “How to Catch a Unicorn” but it’s not telling you steps, it’s just telling a story of how they don’t catch a unicorn. But also, I like that she has glitter trails that follow her everywhere.
Kris
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's glittery and sparkly and about unicorns. The kids here have no success in catching the unicorn with the various plans and shenanigans, but unicorn loving young readers will have fun watching them try. ...more
Aliena Jackson
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very magical. Good information about how to NOT catch a unicorn, sprinkled in with some interesting fun facts about the horned horses.

(My cousins loved this book.)
Emma
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was okay. The rhyming text is very forced--it really adds nothing to the story and the cadence is working at cross purposes with the pacing of the story. The artwork is hyper stylized in a way that I find off putting and there is some weird text design happening where one word on every page is HIGHLIGHTED by being in a different font or color. But there isn't any method to which word it is. Fun for unicorn superfans but not one I'll be putting into my storytime rotation. ...more
Sandy
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cute pics, but the rhymes felt forced. My child wasn't impressed, but she did like the "farting glitter" bit. ...more
Sara
Sep 20, 2019 added it
This book gave absolutely no information on how to catch a unicorn. At best, this is a guide on how NOT to catch one. 0/10 would not recommend.
Thumbnail That
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a really fun book to read to your kids–you have found it. Not only is it a catch me if you can, it also exposes the readers to different animals at the zoo too. The cunning unicorn is a real hoot! Just when the kids think they’ve caught the unicorn, it outsmarts them at every turn. The size of the book is easy for a younger kid to handle easily and I predict that this will be their go-to book for quite some time. I loved how the unicorn is never fully in sight which builds ...more
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What my kid 😍 Loved: The colors and the unicorn on every page.
How my kid 😁🤷Felt: Happy, about the pictures, but a bit confused about the story.
To Read 👍 or 👎 Not To Read: It's a beautiful book, but the traps set by the kids at the zoo are hard to explain to the kid you are reading to because they aren't described in the book.
🌈
The book follows a unicorn visiting a zoo. The visiting children think they can catch it. Each page visits another zoo animal that helps the unicorn escape a trap set by th
Ellon
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, edelweiss
Definitely my least favorite of the "How to Catch..." series. Mostly because I volunteer at a zoo and I loathe the depiction of the zoo in this book. All the exhibits were bare concrete with metal gates. Has Wallace been to a zoo in the last decade?!? Zoos are not like that anymore!

I did think that the rhyming was cute but the text threw me a little since all the other books in the series are told from the perspective of the kids trying to catch the creature but this one is written as the unicor
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Overall, a fun, engaging read, perfect for young unicorn-lovers.

I most enjoyed the fun and colorful details in the illustrations. All of the trap designs were interesting and it was neat to see how the animal friends helped prevent the unicorn from getting caught.

I also thought the rhyming was good. It had a nice rhythm to it and gave the book a nice flow in my opinion.

A silly book filled with cuteness and magic.
Tayler K
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fourth star just for all the colors and glitter and cute snacks! I also love the raised text and glitter on the cover--great texture.

A rhyming romp through the zoo, where a group of kids are hot on the unicorn's trail, but the zoo animals help the unicorn escape!

I love the kid in the unicorn shirt--he's just freaking out the whole time. Reminded me of me (not that I'm a chipper person, but I can get really excited about stuff I like).
Sandra
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My grand daughter absolutely loves this book!! I borrowed it from the library and read it to her so many times that I finally had to purchase a book for her to keep. I am a children's librarian as well and the children love this book. We can not keep it on the shelves. I do not know what the critics are thinking. It is meant to be fun and silly. It is a children's book after all and children seem to really enjoy reading it over and over. ...more
Andrew
A group of fast thinking kids try to catch a unicorn at the zoo. However, the animals at the zoo may be helping out the Unicorn. Wait and find out!

The big cats, the nocturnals, the reptiles, even the butterfly house try to help out.

My favorite trap is the petting zoo!

Very fun read and great for creative thinking! Andy's illustrations are perfect with Wallace's couplet style writing.

Great for read aloud. Would be an awesome storytime at the zoo!
Nicola
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colourful picture book that Miss 5 liked basically because it involved a unicorn!

Miss 5 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Amanda
May 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book, but I found it to be way too campy. I can understand why young children might like it (trying to be tricky, the traps they set, etc.) but I would not pick this up to share it with anyone.
Madison
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
The unicorn decides to visit his friends the animals at the zoo. A group of children try various traps to catch him, but fail due to the zoo animals help. The illustrations are darling, but the wording doesn’t flow easily.
N.A. Wolf
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a cute story but I was expecting more of a guide on catching unicorns versus the failed attempts you get here. This is more a narrative by the unicorn on how it evades the children. All in all my daughter will love this book when she opens it on her birthday. ...more
Stefanie Kellum
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss.
Cris
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not what I expected. The title should really be something like (view spoiler).

It has some cute elements, but overall not anything unusual or impressive.
Sandy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute, but after reading it to 4 year old over and over and over again...it wears out quickly.
Pug
"farting glitter"

Things I didn't like:
rhymes
mean kids
trying too hard to push diversity (enough already, I get it)
Kelly
I loved the illustrations...they were very engaging. It's a cute, whimsical story. ...more
Valleri
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trying to catch this colorful creature proves difficult throughout this fun book. Each page kept our attention as we journeyed along, trying to catch a unicorn.
AMY
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
This is a rhyming story with colorful illustrations. It is kind of silly but kids might like it. Reading level is K-2.
Viviane Elbee
Kids try to set traps to catch a unicorn, but the unicorn cleverly escapes each time.
Katharine
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids, animals
4 stars for the illustrations, up from 3.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Return of Thelma the Unicorn
  • Fancy Nancy and the Quest for the Unicorn: Includes Over 30 Stickers!
  • Unicorn Day
  • The Great Eggscape!
  • On Account of the Gum
  • Unicorns 101
  • Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True (Uni the Unicorn, #2)
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • What If...
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • Mixed: A Colorful Story
  • Leaf Man
  • Bella's Fall Coat
  • Stardust
  • Pig the Winner
  • Pete the Cat's Trip to the Supermarket
Adam Wallace is a New York Times, USA Today and Amazon Bestselling author of the How to Catch series!
Adam's passion is to bring excitement and energy and humour and joy to children (of all ages!) through his books and videos.
He spends his non-writing time thinking about writing and going to as many live music shows as he can. He's also teaching himself piano, and plays golf too.

How to Catch (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • How to Catch a Leprechaun
  • How to Catch a Snowman
  • How to Catch a Dragon
  • How to Catch a Dinosaur

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...