Start by marking “Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms” as Want to Read:
Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms

Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms

Virtually every computing system today is part of a distributed system. Programmers, developers, and engineers need to understand the underlying principles and paradigms as well as the real-world application of those principles. Now, internationally renowned expert Andrew S. Tanenbaum – with colleague Martin van Steen – presents a complete introduction that identifies the ...more
Hardcover, 2nd Edition, 686 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Pearson Prentice Hall (first published September 26th 2001)

Start your review of Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms
Kadir Korkmaz
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is a well-written book to understand distributed systems.
It is easy to understand. There is a lot of examples from real-world applications.
When it is necessary, it is giving advanced topics.

I started to read this book because I was taking Distributed Systems class in my university.

I think this is a good book to understand the nature of the distributed systems.

Derek Barber
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is probably one of the top books out there on the subject of Distributed Systems. Co-written by Andrew S. Tanenbaum, the author of Minix, the content here is top-tier and comprehensive. My only real complaint is with the writing style itself which is fairly dry and uninspiring. Overall I would recommend the book if you are interested in this subject as I think it would be difficult to find a better book on this subject. I would love to see a future edition tackle cloud computing.
Warren Green
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really great if you want to get into distributed systems at an academic level. Not useful for most engineers who are trying to incorporate DS into their infra stack.
Manjit Thapa
global name service
plz send this topic
AArush Ahuja
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Amazing holistic overview of distributed systems as a whole, covering various aspects. A reference and explainer for many topics. The Paxos explanation, especially, was very understandble in the final chapter.
A book full of knowledge
Gavin
Aug 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Bleh.
Martin Chalupa
Nov 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
This book provide great overview about distributed systems. It covers theory and then it uses examples from real life. Unfortunately some examples are a bit obsolete. The first 2/3 which covers theory are most valuable I think. I had some knowledge in all areas discussed within the book and I used it as a glue to tie everything together and get better overall understanding of the topic.
Salim
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: practical-cs
The second edition of Professors Tanenbaum and Steen's comprehensive introduction to distributed systems.
Ramya
Manjit Thapa
Mar 09, 2010 marked it as to-read
Mehdi omidvar
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is professional in network for mcse
Marcin Gryszko
Edzo
Jul 02, 2013
Bagus
Oct 13, 2011

• Kaplan GRE Exam, 2007 Edition: Premier Program   (Kaplan Gre Exam (Book & CD-Rom))
  • Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture
  • CEO Factory
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Книжка про сміття
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • Feminist Political Theory: An Introduction
  • Consider Phlebas (Culture #1)
  • Singled Out: How Singles Are Stereotyped, Stigmatized, and Ignored, and Still Live Happily Ever After
  • Natural Language Processing with Python
  • Applied Text Analysis with Python: Enabling Language-Aware Data Products with Machine Learning
  • Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
  • Machine Learning: The Art and Science of Algorithms That Make Sense of Data
  • Distributed Algorithms: An Intuitive Approach
  • Machine Learning for Hackers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »