Start by marking “Puddle” as Want to Read:
Puddle

Puddle

A surprising, universal, and gorgeously illustrated story about self-acceptance, love, friendship, and the joy of embracing different perspectives, this beautiful picture book by acclaimed author Richard Jackson and two-time Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka presents a puddle with a distinct point of view.

Puddle sits despondently in the playground, observing the world
Published March 26th 2019 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Puddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puddle

Start your review of Puddle
Sandy Brehl
With rhymed text that splashes across the page, this unusual story gives voices and point of view to the deepest puddle on the playground. A fun experience for youngest, and mentor text for writing craft for older kids.
Raschka art also twists and distorts typical perspective with inverted and partial reflections in the puddle surface, exaggerating his trademark loose images.
Rachel
Has an interesting philosophical bent that I'm not sure comes across for children, but its a unique perspective from both the text and the illustrations.
Shaye Miller
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
When you're trudging through the rain, do you ever take a moment to consider what the puddles think of you? Well, that's precisely what this picture book makes us ponder. Puddle has low self-esteem, wondering if his sisters and brothers are better than him. A seagull swoops by, sneakers splash through, and a dog pees in the puddle. But in the end, puddle is quite happy for the way he mirrors the beautiful colors around him. With bright, bold artwork and onomatopoeia, this book will make ...more
Bethe
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Puddle relates her frustration about her existence until she see herself as beautiful in the ending. I like the reflections in some of the illustrations, in others its like shes actually looking up and we see life through her puddle eyes. ...more
Erin
Love the illustrations.
Ms Threlkeld
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pure loveliness! The lyrical prose, lush illustrations and interesting POV will have young children hanging on every word.
Elaine Fultz
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Chris Raschkas art is always appealing in its charming smudginess, but his picture book projects have grown more and more inexplicable. Not necessarily in a bad way, but like major Hollywood stars choosing to be in quirky indies. Here his work accompanies odd text voicing the views of a puddle. The puddle is insecure about its size (bigger than its brothers and sisters), and it experiences iffy visitors like a kid with holey shoes and a peeing poodle. Eventually the sun returns, the little sib ...more
Yolanda
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
~3.5 Stars~

When I first read this to my child, I wasn't drawn to it. My daughter is 2 years old and she loves puddles so I thought she'd like this book. I didn't think she liked it during the first read through. I was confused for a moment because it was a poem, not a story. So I thought it wouldn't appeal to my daughter but I was wrong! For three nights now she asked for "Puddle" as a bedtime reading book. She loves it! She loves the rainbow that appears in the puddle at the end of the book.
Linda
With only a focus on one puddle, this time on a school playground, a large one surrounded by smaller 'sisters and brothers, so dainty and sweet,/so shallow'. Soon gone by 'sudden sunshine', this puddle also worries about more rain, a poodle "piddle" in the puddle, and a shoe with two toes showing. More experiences include a duck, being alone, and the final reflection, a surprise. Richard Jackson's words bounce through in quick time as Chris Raschka's illustrations fill the page with color and ...more
Amy
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Puddle is larger and deeper than the other puddles and the rain just keeps coming. Animals, toys and children stomp through as Puddle longs for a drain. When the sun finally comes out, Puddle is suddenly alight with a reflected rainbow. When a girl stop to admire Puddles beauty, they both find contentment. Raschkas watercolor illustrations brighten along with the story and are a lovely complement to this simple story about anxieties and self-acceptance. Puddle has been reflecting the world ...more
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a difficult time liking this book but am so glad I read it with my first grader who LOVED this book. The unique perspective may be difficult for adults to enter into that fantasy world of what it would be like to be a puddle, but my child easily slipped into that world and felt sad when the puddle felt sad and happy when the puddle felt happy. So glad I read this book with a child to glean their experience as I felt this book a little underwhelming. I'm curious to see how a group of ...more
Jana
When I encounter a big puddle on my daily walk, I do everything I can to avoid stepping in the wet, muddy mess. I never stop to consider what the puddle thinks of me and all of the others that walk through it. This gorgeously illustrated picture book shows life from the point of view of the big puddle as it laments all of the birds, feet, and dog piddle that makes it feel big and unattractive. This would be a great book to share with young readers as a way to discuss perspective in literature ...more
Stacy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like how this story was told from the point of view of the puddle, which I thought was unique. I chuckled when the dog "piddled" in the puddle, but other than that it was sort of boring. To be fair, exactly how exciting can a puddle be? The last illustration was pretty, but I probably wouldn't want to read this book again. I'm sure this book will get rave reviews from adult book reviewers. I don't see this being a book children ask for.
Mary
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring, rhyming
Poetic text describes the feelings of an anthropomorphized puddle. The puddle feels unappreciated until the sun shines and a rainbow is reflected on her surface. The watercolor illustrations are appropriate for the subject matter. Enjoy for the rhythm and descriptive language. Intended for preschool and lower elementary audiences.
Anthony
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Puddle seems to think she isn't appreciated as she is splashed through, piddled in, and stomped on as her brothers and sisters are ignored because of their smaller size. But then something amazing happens that changes her out look on who, and what she is.
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Will kids get what is going on here? No clue. But the art is beautiful and the rhyming text is strange and interesting, so I personally found it to be a delightful read. I'd say try reading it with a child as it should make for a fun conversation!
Jo Oehrlein
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good book to talk about anthropomorphization as it's a story from a puddle's perspective. We have lots of books from a tree's perspective, but the puddle is something new.

Could have done without the dog piddling in the puddle. But, honestly, kids probably think that's hilarious.
Shana
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I realize there are some strong opinions out there about this book. What I liked is that it offers a different perspective (a puddle's POV) that could jumpstart a child's own ideas of what perspective is and encourage them to see things from those other POVs.
Stephanie Croaning
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
This books is written from the point of view of a puddle. I'm not sure if the story itself is exciting enough to make this an enjoyable read, but it is a very different way to approach the story, and could be used as a mentor text.
MaryLibrarianOH
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A rainy day or anytime story told from the perspective of a puddle. Raschka does a great job of showing what is going on around the puddle and also reflecting in the what certain images. The ending is a delightful surprise. A good choice for storytime.
Molly
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
This is the story of a puddle that is not happy being different from the other puddles until something happens that changes his mind. While I think the illustrations are beautiful, I found the story a bit too weird and I couldn't get into it.
Beth
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a fan of Chris Raschka's illustration style and that impacted my enjoyment of the text. I think the text is a lovely poem that would benefit being read all on one page. The page turns disrupt the flow of the poem.
Jillian
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
It was....interesting. I'm not sure kids will get all the deep, philosophical stuff about self-acceptance, but it's still a nice story with really cool illustrations.
Brittany
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
An odd story told from the perspective of the puddle. It was interesting, but just a little too different for me and my 4 year old. Perhaps good for some older kiddo readers.
Solange Guillen
Even though the idea of making a puddle come to life is quite original, the wording is confusing. I did not work for me and my family.
Michelle
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Puddle is at the playground when the rains begin to fall. What will she do?
Lisa Boyd
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-challenge
Dog pee
Victoria🦄
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
The rimes make no sense!!!! 🤔
Kelly
I liked the story from the point of view of the puddle. I wasn't thrilled with the illustrations.
Robin
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Illustrations were interesting, but I just couldn't get into the book. Not recommended.

• Tomorrow Most Likely