Start by marking “Docile” as Want to Read:
Docile

Docile

There is no consent under capitalism

Docile is a science fiction parable about love and sex, wealth and debt, abuse and power, a challenging tour de force that at turns seduces and startles.

To be a Docile is to be kept, body and soul, for the uses of the owner of your contract. To be a Docile is to forget, to disappear, to hide inside your body from the horrors of your se
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Docile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Docile

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jun 13, 2018 marked it as releases-2020
most publishers currently: oh well I guess we can start including lgbtq characters in our books, occasionally, maybe
Tor.com, intellectuals: they’re all gay. they’re all gay and we don’t make the rules
Chaima ✨ شيماء
75% of the time I'm looking forward to this book and during the other 25% I’m asleep

also, I'm dying at Tor's description of the story on Twitter:

"Dramatic Trillionaire Content
BDSM & then some more BDSM & then a lot more BDSM
Hurt/comfort & hurt/no comfort
Cinnamon roll of steel
The most scandalous kink: love
Courtroom drama, bedroom drama, Preakness drama
Debt & Decadence"

in conclusion, SLKJSLKDHDKFGHFDKJGHFJDKGHDFJGH
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
THIS SYNOPSIS. I WANT IT.

"There is no consent under capitalism."

*SCREAMING*
Charlie Anders
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't call KM Szpara's Docile a dystopia. This book is something much stranger and yet closer to our own reality. Szpara has an amazing gift for immersing us in a world of exploitation and unbearable tenderness, and making it feel familiar and inescapable. Reading Docile changed me and left me with a new awareness of the structures of oppression that surround me. This book is an unforgettable story of human connection and the struggle to remain yourself in a world of debtors and creditors.
Tucker
May 13, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: lgbtqiap
It's sci-fi and m/m romance.

MY HEART IS PALPITATING!
Freya Marske
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you ever find yourself thinking, "Gee, I wish CAPTIVE PRINCE and PRETTY WOMAN would have an alarming baby that they then dressed in pastel button-downs and frat boy glasses"?

WELL THEN

This is a smart, super-readable m/m social-sci-fi romance novel about debt slavery, the complexities of consent, and OUR INEVITABLE CAPITALIST HELLSCAPE. I read my ARC at the speed of light and had a wonderful time.
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Jun 17, 2019 marked it as anticipated-2020
this sounds gay and all but what drew me in is a quote directly, and I shit you not, taken from the publisher's website:

"The most scandalous kink: love"

WELL count me in
Acqua
Jun 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: q
- with that premise, it can't be forgettable
- this author wrote one of the best short stories (well, more precisely a novelette, but anyway) I've ever read
- gay

yes I need this book
Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell
Who do I have to kidnap to get an early copy?

Jk. But srsly I need dis 😱 💸💸💸
Sana
Jun 13, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
You had me at queer Gossip Girl. Tor.com is a force of nature publisher
Taylor Brooke
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I READ THIS BOOK IN A DAY. I don't normally do that, pals. Anyway. This is a tough book. It deals with a romance I hated myself for routing for, social and political dynamics that were chilling to recognize as potentially near-future ideals, and it has a cast of incredible Queer characters. The close first person POVs had me turning pages well into the night. This is a gritty, sexy, uncomfortable book with a razor-sharp hook and a hopeful ending.

Get ready to cry. Get ready to scream "ALEX, YOU
Shelves: lgbtqiap-rep
*grabby hands*
Caitlin
May 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hello could this book possibly be in a similar vein to captive prince by c.s pacat?! Please let the stars align so this book fills the Capri-sized hole in my heart
Nomadic Reader (Baba Yaga)
There is no consent under capitalism.
Oh honey, glad you finally figured it out.
Gretchen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, sf
Sabiya
May 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: excited
the summary, the gay, HECK!!!!! NO ONE'S DOING IT LIKE TOR PERIODT!!!! but march 2020?? this is biphobic it inconveniences me!!! i cant believe tor is really torturing us by giving us such a stunning summary almost a YEAR before release 😭😭

jokes aside, i am READY for the commentary about sex, consent and intergenerational debt and trauma! give me all the angst and soul-searching and dystopian capitalist hellscapes!!!!
- ̗̀ kit  ̖́-
Jun 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
i’ve never read/watched the handmaid’s tale or gossip girl but i am 1000000000% here for this
Natassja
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Many messy feelings. I did enjoy.

*More thorough thoughts TK?*
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
That cover 😍 The tagline 😍😍 The anticipation 😍😍😍
Amanda
Apr 01, 2019
M.
rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2019
Kelsey
Katie
added it
Jun 13, 2018
K.M. Szpara is a queer and trans author who lives in Baltimore, MD, with a tiny dog. Kellan's debut alt-/near-future novel, DOCILE (Spring 2020, Tor.com Publishing), explores the snowballing debt crisis, consent, and privilege, and can be described as "really gay". He is the author of "Small Changes Over Long Periods of Time," a Hugo and Nebula nominated novelette about a gay trans man who's bitte ...more