Start by marking “Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)

Tangled Up In You

(Writer Friends #3)

Maddie Dupree isn't in Truly, Idaho, looking for a husband, a boyfriend, or anything in between.

Maddie is determined to uncover the untold story about the town's sordid past--her past. As a child, Maddie lost everything, and now she's back at the scene of the scandal--a local establishment that's always belonged to the Hennessys--determined to uncover the truth, and
Mass Market Paperback, 364 pages
Published July 31st 2007 by Avon

Start your review of Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)
Mo
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is book 3 in the “Writer” series by Rachel Gibson. Liked it as well as the first two.

There was something brilliant and disturbing about Warren Zevon’s lyrics. A little like looking into the mind of someone who stood at the line between crazy and sane and occasionally pushed one toe over. Toying with the line, testing it, then pulling back just before getting into the looneyville.

If you haven’t checked out the music and lyrics of Warren Zevon – DO IT!

How had her life come to this? She
Cyndi
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
So I actually like this author, but sometimes a plot line is too much trouble to make it work. For instance, in the 70’s we have a serial philandering husband and a pretty young barmaid. Enter husband’s wife with a gun. She kills the young barmaid who is husband’s latest girlfriend, then the husband, then herself. Horrible, sad...but what about the two children left without parents and the barmaid’s little girl?
Fast forward 20 years. Barmaid’s daughter is now a true crime novelist while the
KarenH
I don't have time to do a review right now but I have to share a LMAO scene:

We know the heroine has abstained from sex for the last 4 years, but took the edge off with the help of a vibrating "friend" she named Carlos. After having sex for the first time, a brooding hero asks the heroine, "Who is Carlos?" "Why?" she asks. "Because the first time you climaxed," the hero replies, "you called out his name."

too funny :D GREAT book!
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
2.5

You know that feeling when you really need to sneeze and someone or something interrupts it? Well, this book was like that for me.

Maddie returns to a place where she briefly lived as a child to confront her past. Of the four friends in this series, I was looking forward to the most morbid one. Her story was the most promising considering the type of person she is (or I was led to believe she is in the previous two books) and the things she writes about. After all, Maddie is familiar with the
Sophie ♥
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit and fun contemp readers
Rate: 4 stars

Rachel Gibson will always be one of those authors I'd go to for a fun read. Tangled Up In You is more or less the same as every other one of her books - light-hearted and enjoyable with a side of steam. Probably not her best, I personally love the Chinooks series (Any Man of Mine was perfect) but I have to say, this one was a little heavier on the steam. Picking up this book, I knew exactly what I was going to get, and that's exactly what I got. I wouldn't say this is the kind of
Karen
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

"Maddie Jones got a cat and fell in love. Hell has officially frozen over."

Whoa. This book caught me completely off guard. I LOVED IT. A very intense storyline, fabulous characters, and just enough angst to keep me glued to the pages. So far out of the four friends, if I had to be assigned a character to be, I'm pretty sure, I'd have been Maddie. She is one tough cookie. But yet, she is probably the most vulnerable. This book hit all my hot points. I think I'll be re-reading it at
Robin
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
True crime author Maddie Dupree has moved to Truly, Idaho, to write about a murder-suicide that took place twenty nine years ago. There were many stories at the time of the incident. Maddie wants to uncover the truth, especially since one of the victims was her mother. But there is one family standing in her way. Mick Hennessey and his sister, Meg, have lived with the fact that their mother shot and killed their father and his lover when they were small children. They don't want Maddie stirring ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Dec 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: steamy, audiobook, romance
This is part of two series. This is the second of the Truly Idaho series. So far, both books have sucked and no small part of it is that Truly is full of jerks and idiots. This is the third in the Writer Friends series and you don't really need the others to understand this one. If you haven't read the others yet, I highly recommend you do. Not because it adds anything to this novel, but because they're actually good. Unlike this one. Go ahead and give this one a miss.

I was looking forward to
♡Karlyn P♡
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Tangled Up In You is the story of Mick and Maddie, which takes place in Truly, Idaho, the fictional town from the book "Truly Madly Yours". (It is now seven years later, and yes, we get a sneak peak into the lives of Nick and Delany!)

Maddie shows up in town to write the story of a murder / suicide that took place 29 years earlier. Mick is the owner of two bars in town and a former helicopter pilot for the military, and not the least bit happy that the desirable Maddie is un-earthing
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-tbr, 4-star
I'm going to try this one more time ...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

4 Stars

Rachel Gibson has a tried and true recipe for success, or at least success according to this reader. She starts out with a bit of fluff building a back story, then she throws a bit of angst, a lovely man with a bit of a dark side, a pretty lady with some relationship issues and waaa laaa, you have a Rachel Gibson story. I’m never bored and she sucks me in every, single time. Just love her stories.

In this one,
Lauren
Tangled Up in You
4 Stars

True Crime author, Maddie Dupre, travels to Truly, Idaho to confront the ghosts of her past. Determined to uncover the truth about the fateful night her mother was shot in Hennessey’s bar, Maddie finds herself face to face with the one person just as serious about forgetting what happened - sexy, irresistible Mick Hennessey.

Gibson is a wonderful story teller and this series is very entertaining. The characters are well defined, the romance sizzles and the plot premise is
Zeek
"You can never come home again-" well, that's sorta true for Maddie Dupree, for come home is exactly what she's done. No longer the orphaned and scared child forced to leave with her Aunt after the tragic death of her mother, Maddie is now a popular true crime novelist making her way in the world and she's decided to make the focus of her next novel personal- very personal.

Maddie's determined to get to know more about the family at the center of her mother's murder - and she'll stop at nothing
Jenn Scranton
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
UPDATE: 2/13/13
The more I have thought about this book, the most I really did enjoy it. I have bumped it up to 3.5 stars versus my previous 2. I still can't stop thinking about all of the luxurious soaps and scents which is why I have a multitude of pretty smelling things suddenly topping my dresser. As my gift to you, coupon code for 20% off Bath and Body Works.
Coupon Code: RMNFEB13 (good until 3/04/13)

This book had a great story line! Exciting, unpredictable and different than anything else I
Liz
Aug 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
After about 50 pages of not much happening and a TON of exposition and backstory, I put this down. I couldn't keep going. For such an accomplished and usually enjoyable author, I was very disappointed that she forgot the cardinal rule of genre fiction - grab the reader right away and don't let them put down the book.
Aneca
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I was a bit worried about starting this one as I thought the previous one in this series was nothing special but now I'm really glad that I did. Because I enjoyed it very much!

Maddie is determined to uncover the untold story about the town's sordid past—her past. As a child, Maddie lost everything, and now she's back at the scene of the scandal—a local establishment that's always belonged to the Hennessys—determined to uncover the truth, and nothing is going to stand in her way. Especially not a
Nisha
My first book by Rachel Gibson was I'm In No Mood For Love and I only kinda enjoyed it. Somehow, I wanted to give her a second chance, especially after reading a quote from this book about Carlos, Maddie's vibrator. I'm glad I did, because this book is worthy of all the praises RG has gotten.

Crime writer, Maddie returns to Truly, Idaho, a town that she had only lived in for 6 months of her life when she was about 4 years old. But it was the place where her mother, a waitress was murdered in a
Thenia
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story of Maddie, true crime writer on a difficult investigation into her own past, and Mitch, (view spoiler).

Maddie stupidly, but somewhat understandably keeps things secret for too long, and Mitch, hurt, cuts off his nose to spite his face, and their relationship is far from effortless. I would have liked (view spoiler)
Jane Stewart
Pleasant, thoughtful book. A few good lines. OK characters. Nice ending.

This would be ok to get from the library, but I wouldn't buy it. A writer, Maddie, moves back to her hometown to research how her mother Alice was killed when she was 5 years old. Alice was a single mom, having an affair with Loch who was married to Rose. Rose shot Loch, Alice and herself. Mick is Loch's son. Mick and Maddie are attracted to each other. Mick does not know who Maddie is since she is using her pen name.

DATA:
Elle
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I like Rachel Gibson as an author and find that her books very enjoyable.

This book doesn't disappoint. A quick read with interesting enough characters and and entertaining romantic dynamic between the two main characters.

This book reminds me of Kraft-Dinner on a rainy Tuesday: Good because you're too lazy to look for something better.
Kady
Maddie & Mick were awesome. This one was steeeeeeamy. Oh, how much do I love Rachel Gibson books! Stand alone novels with gradually building plots and relationships with plenty of chemistry. And she can REALLY write a HOT bad boy. More please! I will be so very sad when I've read the last existing Rachel Gibson novel...
Amy
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read the paperback years ago and have been rereading the series via audiobook. I had planned on rereading this one via audio as well but I had a few minutes and thought I'd pick up the paperback and skim thru it; but what actually happened was I ended up rereading the whole book in one sitting.
Dee
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Rachel Gibson is very quickly becoming an auto-read author for me and Tangled Up In You is no exception. an entertaining story with some comedic elements, some sweet spicy scenes between the hero and the heroine and a satisfying HEA (although in this one, it did feel a bit rushed)
Zel Polev
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Anita
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a sorta 4-Star book. I liked it more than a 3 1/2, but not quite enough for a full 4. I generally enjoy Rachel Gibson, but this romance was kinda flat. Lots of hot sex, for sure, but it didn't have any humor, an element I really want to see in my romance. But, the subject this book was built around wasn't funny at all, so I can forgive that. Really made me wish that Darla had tossed her panties at the elk and Mick would have been forced to toss her bare butt out of the bar. Anyway, ...more
Sheri
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Rachel Gibson's books, and it had been awhile since I'd read one (in this case, listened). I enjoyed it a lot. There were humorous moments regarding a cat and I liked the H/h. The heroine kept her (2 huge) secrets too long, especially secret #2, and these secrets were the conflict of the book. Also, the hero acted predictably when secret #2 was revealed. Still, I enjoyed it a lot and would recommend. The basis of the conflict was unusual, created a little mystery of its own, and that was ...more
Anne-Marie
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Maddie, she is spunky and smart. There is quite a bit of dry and wry humor in this and some comic relief courtesy of Travis, Mick’s nephew, and Snowball, Maddie’s stray cat with the overbite.

The chemistry between Maddie and Mick is off the charts, however, I had mixed feelings about the murder-suicide story she was writing that directly affected her and Mick’s childhood.
Beth
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
i'm reading out of order, i have read book 4, now book 3 ... i did listen on Audible ... yet to hear or read book 1 and 2??! are these standalones? don't think so. great characters ... the humor is off the charts ... well at least it is funny to me ... sarcastic i should say.
Eline
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit, favorites
Some people give me a strange look when I say I like chick lit... Is that because I'm a teacher who teaches quite serious courses? I don't know... and I don't know why I'm not "allowed" to like chick lit! :p Maybe I need some predictable romantic stories from time to time...
I can't go without saying all of Rachel Gibsons books follow the same plot. I've only read the three first books of the writer series, but they all tell us the same story with different characters. Because I needed a light
Elisabeth
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elisabeth by: RG glom
The story that wove Maddie and Mick together was very good - Maddie's mother had an affair with Mick's dad - Mick's mother didn't deal well with this news and shot and killed both of them before turning the gun on herself - thereby leaving 3 children orphan. Mick and his sister Meg stayed in Truly with their grandmother and dealt with the fall out expected in a small town where everyone knows your dad was a dawg , and your mother snapped and shot him, his lover and herself. Maddie is raised by ...more

• Lead Me On (Tumble Creek, #3)
  • Fair Play (New York Blades, #2)
  • Body Check (New York Blades, #1)
  • Bending the Rules (Sisterhood Diaries, #2)
  • Talk Me Down (Tumble Creek, #1)
  • Be My Baby
  • The Penalty Box (New York Blades, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • Chasing Stanley (New York Blades, #5)
  • Burning Up
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Just A Taste (New York Blades, #6)
  • Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)
  • The Playboy (Chandler Brothers, #2)
Rachel was born in Boise, Idaho, USA. Her father worked for a telephone company, and her mother was a housewife. Idaho has the largest population of Basques outside of the Basque lands of Spain. She grew up with kids with last names like Uberuaga, Berriochoa, and Egisquiza, but years later she discovered the rest of the country didn't really know much about the Basque culture or history.

Rachel's

Writer Friends (4 books)
  • Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)
  • I'm In No Mood For Love  (Writer Friends, #2)
  • Not Another Bad Date (Writer Friends, #4)
“Just because you refuse to acknowledge something, refuse to look at it or think about it, doesn’t mean it’s not there, that it doesn’t affect you and the choices you make in your life.” 64 likes
“I've thought about what I've done since I moved to Truly, and I'm sorry that I hurt you, Mick. But I'm not sorry that I met you and fell in love with you. Loving you has broken my heart and caused me pain, but it made me a better person. I love you, Mick, and I hope that someday you find someone you can love. You deserve more in life than a string of women you don't really care about and who don't care all that much for you. Loving you taught me that. It taught me how it feels to love a man, and I hope that someday I can find someone who will love me the way that you can't. Because I deserve more that a string of men who don't really care about me.” 36 likes