Start by marking “Gravity” as Want to Read:
Gravity

Gravity

A. S. King meets Chris Crutcher in boxing journalist Sarah Deming's YA novel about a young female boxer who learns to fight for what she wants.

When Gravity Delgado walks into Cops 'n Kids, a no-frills Brooklyn boxing gym, and starts working with the legendary Coach Thomas, she joins a true melting pot of fighters. There's the flirtatious Lefty (a southpaw), hard-to-beat
Published November 12th 2019 by Make Me a World/Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gravity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gravity

Start your review of Gravity
Kim
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
**I received this book from netgalley in exchange for my honest review**

I thought this book was pretty good, it reminded me of the movie Girlfight in a way, only less romancy. Some of the book was kind of hard to get through which is why I rated it lower than 4 stars, it seemed like the part leading up to the fight was a little bit boring, the articles were skimmed over. I wanted to have a little more training/action/boxing stuff. I wasn't thrilled with the relationship part of it, her jumping
Tasha
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Once Gravity found her way to the Cops ‘n Kids gym, a place with no address, she couldn’t stop going. There was a smell the gym of boys and sweat, and it gave her a real reason to hit something and hit it hard. As Gravity got older, she got better at boxing, quickly becoming a young boxer to watch in the circuit. She headed undefeated into meets that could lead her to the Olympics, but her home life was a mess. Her mother was an abusive alcoholic who was best when she was ignoring Gravity and ...more
Chelsea Stringfield
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Holy cow. What a beautiful book about a brutal sport, growing up, and womanhood. The last chapter is just beauty.
Jodi
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I just please say I LOVE Gravity "Doomsday" Delgado?

When I first started reading Gravity by Sarah Deming, I was concerned that the book was miscategorized - when we first meet Gravity, she is twelve. I was thinking this book should be a middle grade. But the author ages her quickly, and the sixteen-year-old Gravity is the main character in the book.

Gravity is half Dominican, half Jewish (Hebrew represent!!), lives with her alcoholic mother and younger brother Ty, but has an auntie and cousin
Margo
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well-written almost true tale following a young girl fighter from her twelve-year-old first visit to a boxing gym in NYC to her Olympic debut. I found the subject matter of this book fascinating, but couldn't quite fall in love with the novel itself. It felt to me as if the author sacrificed some tension by trying to follow the real life story a bit too closely. While this resulted in an honest feel to the book, it seemed to me as if it dragged the story down a bit.
But a good read, and if you
Arlen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
Gravity by Sarah Deming
Publishing date: November 12, 2019
Read courtesy of Netgalley.com

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to recommending it to my high school students. It will appeal to a wide range of readers because it crosses cultural, gender, and pastime boundaries.

Deming did a nice job of giving characters personalities and motivations (for ex., why a guy named Monster always wore pink.) The characters had distinct and interesting personalities. Their interplay was
Rahrah
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didn't expect this book to be as good as it was. Got my attention in the first few pages. If a book doesn't grab me in the first chapter, it usually takes me forever to read the entire thing. I started this book and could not put it down. Well I did when I finished it. Loved the story line. <3<3<3
Monique
I had a range of emotions when reading this book. I had really high highs, anxiety and I was weepy in some parts. I was hooked when I read the synopsis about a female boxer. I was hooked from the first word. Then the main character had the coolest name, Gravity Delgado. I loved this girl. I cannot say enough good things about her.

Gravity had a sh*ty life. She was half Jewish and Dominican with a drug and alcohol, drug-addicted and abusive mother. Gravity's dad left without a word when she was 8
Karin
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, realistic
Actually loved this super-engrossing YA novel which immerses you in the world of competitive boxing. AND also has romance and character growth and awareness of social issues. Author has background in boxing and in sports-writing and it shows. (She also wrote a solid mythological fantasy 10+ years ago which I remember really enjoying!)
Hannah Vestal
I was very excited to read Gravity. A female boxer? Sign me up!

However, I was quickly brought down to earth as I read this book, as there were things I really liked about the book, but other things that made me want to tap out.

I really enjoyed the concept of Gravity, with Gravity being a female boxer, and I was hoping that there would be a lot of details about boxing and that world. I think this was captured to a degree, but it was very odd to me that a girl with no money from a broken home
Teresa
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
****3.5 Stars****
Gravity is determined to better her life (and her little brother's) no matter what she has to do; she has learned the hard way that her mother isn't reliable in anyway. When she enters Cops'n'Kids boxing gym she doesn't quite know what she is looking for, except an out from her home life. What she quickly learns is that she loves boxing and that she is quite good at it. Her gym becomes her family; a gruff but loving coach becomes the father figure she is missing and pretty soon
Ms. Yingling
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Public library copy

I knew this author was familiar-- I think she did the 2007 Iris, Messenger!

There were a lot of things to like in this novel-- the gritty, urban setting, a girl in a sport more popular with boys, a hardscrabble life. The fact that the author herself boxes and coaches young boxers is fantastic and adds a great feel of reality to the book.

This is, however, more YA based just on the length and size of print, and I am struggling to figure out which of my students might pick this
Karlan
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This novel made me appreciate boxing for the first time. Gravity's story is one of hardship, determination, sex, and boxing. The sex scenes are very well done as the author captures the vulnerable girl's need for love. The training for fights was well described by the author who boxed herself. And I plan to make to make coconut rice after learning about it here.
Ashley Simoneau
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. I liked the story & I loved the main character.
I love knowing the gym is a real place. It adds something special to the book for me.
I'll definitely read more by Sarah Deming.

I received a copy of this book through good reads for an honest review.
Amy
Gravity loves physical sports, but her mother cannot afford to pay for classes. Then Gravity finds a free boxing gym. Her coach is stern, but teaches her well. Gravity does so well, she has a chance at the Olympics. Lots of great boxing action in this book.
Jo Beth
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Girls in the boxing ring. Emotion and grit. Gravity is one to root for. I felt like I knew her. Def grades 10 and up. Very graphic sex
Lisa Zinkie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Female boxing fiction!!! Yas!
Madison Lessard
Many thanks to the publisher for providing me with an advance digital copy of this book via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

There’s a good deal to love about Gravity, and I’m walking away leaning somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars. I want to start out with what I thought was great, and then I’ll mention a few of the things that weren’t for me. I feel like I should start this review by saying that this is a dynamite concept for a YA novel, and it’s clear that Sarah Deming’s background
Veronica
Dec 06, 2019
Jenny
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 4-stars
I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I was first pulled into this book because it promised boxing, interesting characters, finding family, and the story of a Jewish Dominican teenager aspiring for greatness.

There was boxing in the story but I wished that it focused on that more and less on the love interests.

The characters were definitely interesting, but I wished that some of them were developed more. I did really like the coach, though. He becomes the father that she never

• The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • Pet
  • Stargazing
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Full Disclosure
  • A Light in the Darkness: Janusz Korczak, His Orphans, and the Holocaust
  • Light It Up
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Color Me In
  • All That's Bright and Gone: A Novel
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • My Time Among the Whites: Notes from an Unfinished Education