Start by marking “Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)

Shadow & Flame

(Rime Chronicles #2)

From acclaimed author Mindee Arnett comes the thrilling conclusion of the stunningly epic, action-packed, and romantic fantasy adventure about a powerful girl possessed of strange magic, the outcast prince she loves, and the kingdom that has torn them apart.

Kate and Corwin are on the run, desperate for allies in a new world of war among the kingdoms of Rime. As the book op
Published June 4th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Shadow & Flame, please sign up.
Rebecca It says in the description/plot summary, that book 2 is the conclusion.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Anna Magill If you really want a spoiler, no he doesn't die. But he gets really close to it. Maybe you should read the book, much better than spoilers.

Start your review of Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shadow and Flame is so much darker than the first novel and I tore through it. If I could say anything: I went into this series expecting it to be more about the messenger service and the horses. As much as I love these books I still have a large messenger-horse sized hole in my heart. Right next to Bonner's giant hole. Basically I have no heart right now.

Shadow and Flame branched a span of almost two years, and it was weird to have that kind of time go by from the prologue to the rest of the b
Ben Alderson
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the sequel! It was darker then the first which felt like a Disney film in comparison.
Glad I read the sequel straight away. Does anyone else find this a lot? I am always preferring sequels to the first books.
Helena of Eretz ✰
Lowering my rating to 2.5 stars because I’m STILL MAD!

Well, this was definitely the weaker of the two books. I thought that I'd give it the same rating as its predecessor, but I spent so much time FRUSTRATED while reading that I had to lower it a bit.

If not for Kate, I might have even DNF'ed it, but I couldn't do my baby dirty like that. Everyone treated her SO POORLY throughout the book and I HATED IT, especially Signe, her supposed "best friend." Kate was constantly betrayed and isolated and
Erin Wilder
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was so incredibly disappointed by this book. Which makes me very sad because I really really enjoyed Onyx and Ivory. In the first book I loved the characters. They were strong and lovely. They felt completely off in this book. I found it quite hard to keep reading and often I was rolling my eyes. I'm not quite Game of Thrones series finally disappointed, but still pretty disappointed :(
Brooke Witherow
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ending made this book. My eyes watered (NO ONE IS SAFE!) at the end because ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Also I thought the end was cool, for lack of a better word.

Loved the uror. I want to draw this horse now. Love, love, love, love.

Loved the line, “Her grief was like the tide—nothing could hold it back.”

***bit of a spoiler ahead, though you might not understand it if you haven’t started reading it.... but be warned****. One sticking point for me was I didn’t get why the smoke didn’t spread at the end
Celia McMahon
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
So, if you’re like me and hate small talk worse than putting your finger into a meat grinder you’ll get what I’m about to say: this book was like being stuck making small talk with no means of escape.

I loved ONYX AND IVORY. I loved it so much that I rated it up there with some of my fav fantasies of all time. Which is why I’m so disappointed in this sequel.

The characters felt off. In the first book, they had heart. They had depth. I cared for them as I would my own. They didn’t reel me in this
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions expressed in my review are my own.

I am so unbelievably impressed with this book and this series. This was such a brilliant finale to end this story. There are some bittersweet moments towards the end. I may not recover from this book hangover that is coming.

First of all, this book starts off with a bang, for certain. The prologue was just shocking and unexpected. The entire sequence of events, from th
Lesa Divine
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 🌟

Enjoyable read. Continuing from part 1.
The Wilders are slaves in the pit. Edwin is king. Where's Corwin. Kate is queen of then Wilders. Making sure to keep peace.

But when Dal life is threaten she most go save him. But finding out more about Corwin and a wilder just like her.

The author isn't afraid to kill off characters ugh but hey that's the jest of it all. To fall for characters but not sure if they'll make it to the end. I enjoyed this series.
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
How did I not already have this added?! I've only been craving it since October!! 😵
Anna
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Bright Star
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"No great things can be accomplished without great sacrifices."

Shadow & Flame was really a great sequel. Actually, it was even better than the first book. What I enjoyed most was the unpredictability of the events. In each chapter and until the very end, you couldn't guess what would have happened next (at least I didn't). The atmosphere was darker and the worldbuildg as detailed as in Onyx & Ivory. I also grew attached to the characters and I my heart broke when some of them died. The
Alexandra
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I received an e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Review and blog tour can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

Prepare yourselves for more action, politics, and mystery in the sequel of Ony & Ivory! Leaving the gorgeous new cover behind I have to stand by my amazement of how Mindee kept me glued to the page chapter after chapter AFTER giving me THAT prologue! (you can read it on my blog tour stop)

Kate and gang have to deal with a new upcoming threat that will be a great threat
Nikki
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found this so disappointing. I really enjoyed the first book but this seemed to drag on. Plus I found Kate fairly annoying. I honestly couldn’t tell you why I didn’t enjoy it as much - it just felt a bit samey after a while. The bad guys all felt two dimensional and replaceable with each other.

I did enjoy the interaction between Corwin and Eravis, and getting to see a little more on the uror though.

2.5 stars.
asbah
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
this was definitely darker than the first book but i’m not complaining. dal and signe annoyed me a little too much, but i tore through this. seriously, people are sleeping on this series.

→ 4.5 stars
Tammie
DNF

I thought the first book in this duology was pretty good. It wasn't a favorite, but I liked it enough to want to see what happened next. Unfortunately this book has been hard to get into. It feels completely different from the first book and is kind of depressing. After trying to get interested in this and not succeeding, I've decided to give up on it.
Rivka
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading Shadow & Flame, I was a bit confused by the time gap. After all, an entire revolution had taken place since the events of Onyx & Ivory. However, Arnett did a great job of filling in the gaps. It was also interesting to see how the main characters had changed since the events of both the previous book and the war that occurred between books.

Shadow & Flame is told in the POV of both Kate and Corwin. I enjoyed seeing how they both grew into their roles and fought for w
Becca Mee
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Onyx and Ivory, but I LOVED Shadow and Flame. From the outset, Arnett’s writing is gripping. The stakes are high and the losses is heartbreaking. This Duology is thoroughly original with an endearing and complicated cast of characters and a amazingly developed world. And man, does Arnett have a talent for forbidden and complicated romance. This sequel is exciting and electrifying, building on the foundation set in the first book. In conclusion, this book both thrilled and devastated me ...more
Hannah Wall
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
So many good plot twists and an AMAZING ending!
Emma
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I highly enjoyed Onyx & Ivory but found myself really disappointed with Shadow & Flame. A lot of the things I'd previously enjoyed about this series -- like the banter between characters and an intriguing magical mystery -- were absent from Shadow & Flame.

The scope of the story is much bigger this time around as Kate, Corwin, and the rest of their allies try to protect Rime from more threats. The cast of characters grew exponentially beyond the already-large group from Onyx & Ivory. I often foun
Frank
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A bit disappointed with this sequel novel, as at the end of Book 1, you were left on a cliffhanger, and the sequel jumps ahead, and is written in quite a different (choppy) manner.
Rea
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I felt that a lot of really weird decisions went into the plot of this story. For one, the part I was interested in (the journey out of Rime, discovering where the wilders are being kept captive, the planning of the rescue mission) are all completely skipped over and the prologue jumps right into the rescue mission. It all goes wrong, and the aftermath of that is also skipped. There’s a whole war between the citizens of Rime (under Edwin) and the Wilders, resulting in the Wilders taking the city ...more
Courtney
I've spent about 3 days trying to figure out how I felt about this book. I still don't think I've figured it out but if I wait too much longer I will literally never write anything ever.

I loved the way this book was written and I was very partial to Corwin (which is kind of funny because I distinctly remember being very not partial to him for the first part of the last book). I read this entire thing in a day because I had such a hard time putting it down, the pacing was really perfect and I lov
Imogene
Definitely enjoyable, if a little bit heart breaking. It did feel a little rushed. Some parts of the story were pushed too hard, not letting the readers wrap their heads around things. Some characters appeared and then disappeared almost immediately.

Plus there is a definite further story, at least a Novella that needs to follow one particular character.
Amanda
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m so disappointed...I really enjoyed the first book but this one had none of the fun and adventure its predecessor has. It was rushed, clumsy, and dramatic to the point of eye rolling. The characters seemed like shells of themselves and were so OOC. I’m bummed.
Rip Riyria
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Don't read it. Read the first one (which is actually good with a creative plot) but this sequel kind of just desists into the stereotypical over-confusing fantasy book mold that gives the genre a bad name. I know, I'm mean. Thank my friends.
Mere
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-books
Hi, so, I'm a little torn on this rating because WOW what a book but also NOOO and AHHHH and just well...I have many feelings about it! I liked the first one, and I liked this one just as much. At first I worried I was going to struggle with it, as it reads very differently from the first book in the series. This one is still action, don’t get me wrong, but there are a lot of moving pieces in this book and so many unexpected moments that will leave you gasping and going “NO!” and then there is s ...more
Kyla
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it

Man oh man was that better than I expected.

Have you ever picked up a sequel and thought, “Well, I know where this is going.” I most certainly have and was most certainly WRONG with this installment. Mindee Arnett blew me out of the water with this sequel. It’s dark, and gritty and never lets go of the social justice threads woven in this book. In a word? I thought this book was “wondrous.” My goodness was this book superior to Oynx and Ivory in my humble opinion.

This book picks up months after
Kirsti
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grrrr I hate when you write up a review only for it to disappear? I thought I had reviewed this days ago and instead noticed my stats weren't matching up...anyway.

I read this directly after finishing the first book. The first was just such an engaging story, that I had to continue the story immediately and I actually broke my kindle buying rules and spent far more on this than I intended. It was worth every cent though, because this was just as good as the first book! At first I wasn't sure anyt
Tiffany Bookwormgram
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Immediate thoughts:

This ending was not everything I hoped for, but I did really like this series.

There was so much death in this conclusion. Overall, it just felt...so dark. The characters, who were very strong in book one, were lacking here for me. There just wasn’t a good balance between plot and characters.

That said, I read it in basically one day and this series is so well paced and enjoyable. I look forward to whatever comes next from this author!
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Shadow and Flame [June 15, 2020] 27 18 Jul 02, 2020 10:19AM

• Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Tears of Frost (Heart of Thorns, #2)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
YA Author of THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR, a contemporary fantasy coming March 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan) and AVALON, a YA sci-fi thriller coming Winter 2014 from Balzer+Bray (HarperCollins). Represented by the fabulous Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary. Addicted to jumping horses and telling tales of magic, the macabre, and outer space.

Rime Chronicles (2 books)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)