Start by marking “The Favorite Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Favorite Daughter

The Favorite Daughter

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  5,397 ratings  ·  1,002 reviews
From the author of the page-turning domestic suspense Best Day Ever, comes another gripping novel of psychological suspense set in an upscale Southern California community, for fans of B.A. Paris and Shari Lapena.

The perfect home. The perfect family. The perfect lie.

Jane Harris lives in a sparkling home in an oceanfront gated community in Orange County. It’s a place that s
Published May 21st 2019 by Graydon House (first published April 15th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Favorite Daughter, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Debbie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  5,397 ratings  ·  1,002 reviews

Start your review of The Favorite Daughter
Deanna
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

I have been looking forward to reading more from Kaira Rouda since reading and enjoying her previous novel, “Best Day Ever”.

"The perfect home. The perfect family. The perfect lie".

Meet Jane Harris.

Jane spent the last year grieving the death of her daughter, Mary. She stayed in bed lost in her “haze of grief”.

But Jane is now ready to step back into her life and family. Jane’s therapist suggested that the family s
Dita
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an adoptive mother, I tend to avoid books about adoptive families but I am SO glad I broke my rule in this case.

Jane is a living, breathing curse upon all who meet her and we get to witness the destruction she mercilessly metes out to absolutely everyone who orbits her.

Emerging from her drug haze one year after the death of her "perfect", adopted daughter, Jane is anxious to get her family back on track and back under her thumb. We are privy to her inner thoughts and dialogue and it is like a
Susanne  Strong
4.5 Stars* (rounded down)

Oh What Wicked Fun!

There are characters .. and then there’s Jane. She’s the kind of woman who makes you cover your mouth with your hand and say “Oh no you didn’t!” Then you gasp in complete and utter deliciousness simply because, Oh yes she did! She’s that kind of Character!

Oh how I love her.. I mean I don’t really love her. I don’t even like her - except yeah, I kinda do (in a she’s so despicable she’s likeable kind of way of course!) - and I just admitted it in publ
Kaceey
An unreliable narrator, teetering on the edge. A family she’s unable to keep under control.

Kaira Rouda introduces a character you’re going to love to hate! So many times I found myself shocked, confounded, or laughing at Jane’s over-the-top audacity.

It’s the one year anniversary of her daughter Marys’ death. The pain hasn’t diminished, but it’s time for Jane to look to the future and begin reclaiming her life.
Starting with her husband David and younger daughter Betsy. Only both have apparently
Berit☀️✨
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-physical
ʟᴏᴠᴇ. ᴍᴇ. sᴏᴍᴇ. ᴄʀᴀᴢʏ.

Woo Hoo I love me some crazy and this book had that in spades! Jane was one of the most over the top delusional characters I’ve read in a long time, and I loved her! Now would I want to be friends with her? Probably not, but she sure was fun to read about! A year ago Jane lost her oldest daughter Mary in a tragic accident. Jane is finally coming out of her fog of grief to find that her husband David and younger daughter Betsy have been living their lives without her. Every
Felicia
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jane puts the insane in the membrane.

We meet Insane Jane two years after the tragic death of her daughter.

Of course Insane Jane unreliably narrates this story. She is, afterall, the only one that knows the truth behind why her family is imploding. And obviously Insane Jane holds no responsibility at all as she will tell you.

You see she's only ever wanted what's best for herself....errrr...I mean, her family, right up until they all turn against her.

*insert ominous music*
_______________________
j e w e l s
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FIVE UNPUTDOWNABLE STARS

I’m smiling as I write this because Kaira Rouda has done it again! THE FAVORITE DAUGHTER is a tangy piece of hard candy🍭🍭🍭Just pop it in your mouth and revel in the guilty pleasure.

Rouda is the master of creating villainous characters we love to laugh at and utterly despise at the same time (now is a great time to read Best Day Ever if you missed it!!). Rouda's unusual talent for concocting charming, yet hate-worthy characters makes reading her novels so so easy and so ve
BernLuvsBooks
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-reads, 2019
This was disturbing and yet so wickedly fun! Jane was the classic unreliable narrator with a dash of narcissist and a splash of sociopath thrown in for our reading pleasure. In other words - it was a wildly entertaining read!

Jane Harris is the kind of character you love to hate. She thinks, does & says the unthinkable and yet you just can't get enough of her. With each shake of my head, I found myself drawn in, furiously turning the pages to see what she'd do next.

I think having Jane speak to
Norma
Chilling, absorbing, & oh so wickedly entertaining!

THE FAVORITE DAUGHTER by KAIRA ROUDA was such a wickedly delightful, gripping and immersive tale that totally sucked me right into this hauntingly dark psychological suspense novel. Once I started reading this one it was hard not to get totally wrapped up in Jane’s fascinating, snarky, obsessive and audacious character. Making it quite the deliciously fun, compelling and an all consuming page-turner.

KAIRA ROUDA delivers an intriguing, unique an
JanB
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
If you hated Paul in Best Day Ever just wait till you meet Jane!

Jane is one of a kind – thank goodness. She’s the worst. She's a narcissistic toxic woman but it was such fun to follow her thought processes. Would I want her in my life? No. But did I ever have fun reading about her. Jane is the perfect wife and mother grieving the loss of one of her daughters and angst-ridden over feeling disconnected with her husband and surviving daughter. Poor Jane 🙄

Jane is so anxious she researches death an
Larry H
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars.

Just when I thought I had seen the craziest, most out-there, insane protagonist, along comes Jane Harris in Kaira Rouda's upcoming book, The Favorite Daughter .

Lord. Have. Mercy.

Jane thought she had it all: a handsome husband, two daughters, a beautiful home in an exclusive oceanfront community in California's Ocean County. But the last year has been terrible. She's been consumed with grief since the unexpected death of her oldest daughter, Mary, in a freak accident. All of the anti
Holly  B
Kaira Rouda writes the best unreliable narrators and like Paul from her debut novel  The Best Day Ever , Jane joins the ranks.

The narrator, Jane believes she is a super mom, wife and best friend with comparisons to Martha Stewart. Some of her inner thoughts gave me pause. She has two daughters, but she does have a favorite.

Jane is quite a wild character that sometimes made me laugh or feel sympathetic towards her and at times made me  give her the evil eye.

She puts her plan in moti
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY TO THE FAVORITE DAUGHTER!

4.5 stars! Wowie - Jane is one character I will NEVER forget!

Jane and David lost their daughter, Mary, in a tragic accident one year ago. Since then, Jane has been lost within a whirlwind of antidepressants, hiding herself at home, barely interacting with her family. David plans a memorial service for Mary one year after her passing which marks the day that Jane decides she will move forward from her grieving. She plans to stop medicating, focus on
marilyn
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
This Mother's Day, remember, some moms do not deserve a Mother's Day card!

* 5/14/19 I've added a spoiler message at the bottom of the review.

The Favorite Daughter by Kaira Rouda was fun to read and Jane is the character who makes the book zing. Perfect Jane, she'll tell you herself how perfect she is, while detailing the inferiority of everybody else, even her daughters. If Jane doesn't like something, she'll "fix" it one way or another to no one's liking but her own. Jane loves to talk and she
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 to protect myself from the curse of the damn wicked mother character I’ve read lately!

WOW! Meet with Jane, suffering from trauma for losing her favorite daughter Mary! I know when you read this sentence, you sense something weird about this woman, because however all the parents have their favorite child, they don’t express their feelings freely, they insist they love all their children equally cause it’s not fair for their other children, right?

Well, having a favorite
Michelle
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-w-mars
Dear Jane,

Thank you for telling me your story. It was an interesting tale to say the least. I do have to be honest and tell you that you aren't nearly as beautiful, smart, or as talented as you think you are. I know that is going to be devastating for you to hear. The truth is your horrible in every single way imaginable. Yet, you lack the interest it takes to carry a character, such as yourself, through an entire novel. Let's just say you showed us your hand on the very first page. Your claim
Theresa Alan
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a challenging novel because the first-person narrator is wildly unlikeable even though she is in mourning for the death of her eldest daughter. She’ll tell the reader something and then go and lie to her therapist, her driver—anyone who will listen, which isn’t many since she’s managed to alienate everyone over the years. She judges people by what they do for a living—how much money they make. Also a highly unlikeable trait.

She makes it clear that yes, things have gotten even worse in t
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
The Compassionate perfect mother, a loving wife and all around perfect member of the community. It’s all in perception with Jane!

The Favorite Daughter is such a fun and entertaining story that had me shocked by Jane’s behavior and laughing at her as well. The story is well layered and through Jane’s POV the pieces to the mystery all come together as we see things from Jane’s delusional perception. I thought it was so brilliantly written and clever just how it all comes together.

Jane is such a f
Katie B
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Jane is absolutely bonkers and I don't care what it says about me, I freakin' loved her! I was either smiling or cackling like a crazy lady at her shenanigans for so much of this book. Highly entertaining read!

Jane lives with her family in one of those very wealthy, gated communities in Orange County. It's been a year since she lost her oldest daughter, Mary, in a tragic accident and Jane coped by taking pills and staying inside her house. But she's now ready to put herself back in the
Carol (Bookaria)
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a character! This story was entertaining and twisted from beginning to end.

Meet Jane Harris, devoted wife and mother who about a year ago lost his older daughter to a tragic accident. For the past months, Jane has been grief-stricken and spending her days at home, leaving the house only to visit her therapist or to run essential errands.

The one-year memorial is almost here, and Jane is waking up to a new reality, she wants to reclaim her place in the family but it won't be easy as it sounds
Elyse  Walters
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Driving in the car on the way to the grocery store the other day, I began this newly received library overdrive Audiobook....
by Kaira Rouda.
Within less than five minutes into the story, I almost busted a gut laughing at this line:
“I should win a domestic Golden Globe”!
Yes... Jane Harris should!!
That was just the beginning of plenty other lines to laugh and roll our eyes at.

*Jane Harris*, lead protagonist, is definitely narcissistic: lacks empathy...blames others, has control issues, distorted
Kendall
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my first novel by Kaira Rouda and have been hearing amazing things about the author.

Well let me tell you... she definitely knows how to deal a hand of unreliable cuhrazyyy characters!

Jane is one sh*t show of a female character that takes you on an unbelievable ride. Jane is definitely the star of this show and book!

I do have to say I wasn't shocked or mouth flown open by the reveal twists throughout the book... my detective skills were spot on in this one. But, this is an entertaining
Suzy
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

Oh my GAWD! This book. Please, please do yourself a favor and read it. Now.

Jane is our narrator and much like Paul Strom (the main character in Rouda’s last book, Best Day Ever - which is also a MUST read), is over the top, controlling, delusional and hysterical. Paul was definitely a piece of work and successfully pissed me off, but I think I like Jane better - simply because her insanity is just so hilarious. She is obsessed with the statistics on how people die and shares her obse
Jayme
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mothers aren't supposed to have a favorite child...….

Meet Jane Harris.

A woman who MIGHT just make Paul Strom (from the author's novel, Best Day Ever) look SWEET...

She is obsessed with being a perfect wife and a doting mother.

She is also obsessed with a tab on an online newspaper, labeled "Accidents and Disasters" which she reads when she cannot sleep.

She has memorized MANY statistics about how people die.

Maybe because so many family members have died around her...

Her Mother

The Beloved family
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
A twisty, fun trip deep into the mind of Jane—a delightfully delusional and seriously twisted housewife in Orange County. I seriously LOVED this book! An unreliable narrator, a twisty plot, and a completely terrible character who I sort of wanted to succeed anyway? Perfection!

Jane is certainly not a likeable character, nor even a reliable one. But she sure is a blast to follow along with! A year ago Jane’s elder daughter Mary died in a tragic accident. Jane has been grieving ever since. When he
Julie (JuJu)
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thoughts:
Hard to put down, clever and suspenseful!

I requested this book from my local library, after one of my GR’s friends told me about the “Material’s Request” through my local library. I’d seen the option—and knew what it was for—but for some reason it never really “clicked” in my head. OMG, this is such a wonderful benefit! Not only does my library get the book, but I am on the top of the list to borrow it. Since I’m only allowed a limited number per year, I’ll be saving them for “except
Kristy
A year ago, Jane Harris' daughter, Mary, died tragically. Ever since, Jane has been lost in a cloud of grief and anti-depressants. But with a ceremony celebrating Mary's life coming up, Jane feels it's time for her to reemerge and reengage with her family: husband David and daughter, Betsy, who is about to graduate from high school. The family lives in a gorgeous house in Orange County, California. But Jane quickly realizes that David is always busy--with work or the gym he claims--and Betsy is ...more
Jamie Rosenblit
There is NO ONE and I mean NO ONE who writes the delusional, unreliable narcissist quite like Kaira Rouda! If you thought Best Day Ever's Paul Stromm was a fun character to hate-read, wait until you meet Jane Harris - who just may put Paul to shame! This plot was so inventive and creative, I really enjoyed being along for the ride! I know this will be a book everyone is talking about in 2019!

I received an advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
Kimberly Belle
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s not often that a psychological thriller makes you laugh out loud, but Kaira Rouda latest page-turner had me cackling until deep in the night. The Favorite Daughter stars Jane, a woman grieving the death of her oldest daughter, whose attempts to reclaim her place as perfect matriarch are as riveting as they are darkly hilarious. Fans of Rouda’s Best Day Ever will adore this one, and Jane’s whip-smart wit will win Rouda some new fans, as well. Smart, surprising, and 100% satisfying.
Stephanie
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

The Favorite Daughter is delightfully and deliciously wicked! Kaira Rouda certainly knows how to write diabolical, yet charming characters (remember Paul Strom from the Best Day Ever?) who you just cannot help but love and hate at the same time!

Meet Jane, the over the top, wildly unreliable narrator in Rouda's newest book. A year ago she lost her oldest daughter Mary in a drowning accident after she fell off some cliffs. Since then Jane has been in a grief-stricken haze, relying on pill

• Dear Wife
  • Never Have I Ever
  • Good Girls Lie
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Such a Perfect Wife
Kaira Rouda is a USA TODAY bestselling, multiple award-winning author of contemporary fiction exploring what goes on behind closed doors of seemingly perfect lives. Her next novel, THE NEXT WIFE, is out May 11.

She lives in Southern California with her family and is at work on her next novel. Connect with her on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest: @KairaRouda; and on Facebook at Kaira Rouda Books.

If