Start by marking “Caged in Chaos: A Dyspraxic Guide to Breaking Free Updated Edition” as Want to Read:
Caged in Chaos: A Dyspraxic Guide to Breaking Free Updated Edition

Caged in Chaos: A Dyspraxic Guide to Breaking Free Updated Edition

Winner of the NASEN & TES Special Educational Needs Children's Book Award 2005

Written by a teenage dyspraxic, this inspiring book is a unique practical guide for dyspraxics and those around them struggling and determined to get to grips with the social, physical and psychological chaos caused by developmental co-ordination disorders (DCDs).

In her own conversational style,
Published May 1st 2005 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published February 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Caged in Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caged in Chaos

Start your review of Caged in Chaos: A Dyspraxic Guide to Breaking Free Updated Edition
Manybooks
Written by a teenager with dyspraxia, Victoria Biggs' Caged in Chaos is enlightening, readable, at times heartbreakingly funny, and as such an invaluable resource for anyone (child, teenager, adult) dealing with (or knowing someone who is dealing with) dyspraxia or nonverbal learning disabilities. The author is refreshingly honest about her own dyspraxia, but also never wallows in self pity and victimhood (although she, and this very much fortunately, also does not ever spare criticism of and fo ...more
Eli
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that actually HELPED me after my diagnosis. I was already 17 and every book was written for parents and only talked about children under twelve years old.
There's awesome advice for everything, and this is thanks to this book that I struggle less at organizing myself, I learnt studying methods and tidying up methods. Besides, it also carries a very positive message. I won't let my dyspraxia stop me from doing anything.
The feeling of saying "oh my god I'm the same !" at most
Sarah Sparkle
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: disability
A guide written by a gifted 16-year-old girl with dyspraxia (the term for someone who is gifted with a learning disability to match is 'twice exceptional') on how to navigate teen life with the condition, but it's also very relevant for teens with Asperger Syndrome (AS), Non Verbal Learning Disability (NVLD), etc. If you dislike formal, dry writing but want to understand dyspraxia better, then this is a good place to begin. I'd be interested to read an updated version of the book now that Victor ...more
Hattie
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To say this book is amazing is an understatement. It revolutionised my life. When many dyspraxics become teens are problems start to exacerbate and often we don't even realise that we have problems, this period is usualy hell for us and after years of troubles it was an extrodinary experience to open a book and realise that there was a reason for all this weirdness. That somethings weren't my fault. And more importantly it brought me to Dyspraxic teens. For all those times when life seems alien. ...more
Kathryn
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bought the book to help me understand a dyspraxic student that bit better. He is new to our secondary school and struggling to settle in. It was a quirky, informative, and often funny insight into the life of a teenager with dyspraxia. There's lots of good practical advice included on several topics, plus some interesting stories and anecdotes (the author was sixteen when she wrote this and she's quoted other teenagers on their experiences). The chapter on bullying very useful, and a lot of wh ...more
Dina_s
Although my dyspraxic son is only 8 and Ms Biggs was a teenager when she wrote this book, I was able to relate to quite a few of the issues she discusses. My son has good social skills and has many friends so some parts felt a little OTT from my experience. It did however give me good insight as to the challenges my son may face when he reaches adolescence. Thank you Victoria for sharing your story with so much humour and bite! You are a wonderful storyteller.
Brice James
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is brimming with positivity and encouragement, but also honesty and suggestions about how to eat without looking foolish. I was 28 when I read this, and I did not expect to take so much advice from a 16 year old. But here I am, having my quality of life improved by her helpful, practical suggestions about everything from education to cleaning to how to use the washroom.
Gill's likes reading
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A book written by a 16 year old on what its like to be dyspraxic with tips on how to live with it. Primarily written for teenagers it gives a good insight into the problems of dyspraxia,schooling and being a teenager. Victoria Biggs is positive all the way through the book thereby giving some good feedback to dyspraxic people.
Michael
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seeing as I myself suffer from Dyspraxia, and this being the first book I have read on it, I found this book very helpful and I could relate to so many things in it matching patterns and traits that I have.
Brennan Phoenix
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good for teens/parents, not as helpful for late-diagnosed adults.
Still provides some support and understanding.
N
Aug 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
At the time of writing Caged In Chaos, Victoria Biggs was a lively, articulate 16-year-old. (Now, I assume, she is a lively, articulate 23-year-old.) Caged, a memoir of Biggs' struggles with "dyspraxia", is not short on personality and I have no doubt it may appeal to other teenagers with learning differences.

However, what Caged is missing is the eloquence and maturity of a good writer, or the thoughtfulness of a person who has lived a life and has wisdom to share.

In truth, I'm not even sure Cag
Hilary
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
It was OK. I couldn't decide whether I liked the book or not. As a parent of a child with dyspraxia, and a porfessional working with children with Autism, it was good to read from a person's perspective and I am sure that in the next few years the book will be really good. At present she isn't quite a teenager. A lot of the tips for organisation were really good. I'm not sure what I expected from the book, which is possibly why I am undecided about it. It was recommended for me to read by some c ...more
Abbi Hutchings
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was really good, it gave a thoroughly touching and amusing insight into what its like having dyspraxia
Rory Wilcox
Forbes Lopez-forbes
Aug 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Isus al meu
  • Povestea unei fete si a unui pian cu coada
  • Am fost un copil reușit?
  • Complete Italian Grammar
  • Rădăcina de bucsău
  • Viaţa începe vineri
  • Scarred Hearts
  • Prevestirea
  • The Treatment
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • The Return of the Soldier
  • David Copperfield
  • 100 Ideas for Supporting Pupils with Dyspraxia and DCD
  • Wide Sargasso Sea
  • I Am With You: The Archbishop of Canterbury's Lent Book 2016
  • M Train
  • Can I tell you about Dyspraxia?: A guide for friends, family and professionals
  • The Catcher in the Rye and J.D. Salinger