Start by marking “Depression Fallout: The Impact of Depression on Couples and What You Can Do to Preserve the Bond” as Want to Read:

Published April 1st 2003 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Depression Fallout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Depression Fallout

Janet
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for the insight and comfort it brings. The writing isn't great, but it doesn't really need to be: it's mostly to give advice, comfort, and tools to people whose loved ones suffer from depression or other mental illnesses that involve changes in moods. Highly recommended.
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading this book was helpful in that it drew a clear picture of what causes depressed people to act the way they do, reassured me that my experiences are not unique, and reinforced some aspects of things I'm already trying to do. That said, one of the main things I got out of this book was that my situation is not all that bad. Many couples are in much worse off and much harder places than I am when it comes to one of them being depressed.

I did not like that the author puts a heavy emphasis on
dejah_thoris
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm pretty split on this book. On the one hand, there is some good advice on how to cope with someone else's depression, but on the other hand, Sheffield is very focused on getting everyone into treatment and therefore doesn't offer much advice for living with non-compliant depressives. There is some discussion of codependency and how fallout suffers tend to follow the same emotional curves as depressives, which made it doubly difficult to tell if I'm fallout or a depressive too. I also liked ho ...more
Mike Lewis
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so helpful for anyone dealing with a depressed person in their life. Not only does it offer some practical tips on how to deal with the crummy situations, but it had countless examples of how other have navigated this path before and what steps worked best for them. I can't recommend this book enough as it has been so very helpful.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Outstanding book, I read it in a day, this book is a must for anyone loving someone who has depression (aware of it or in denial) - it might save not only your sanity but possibly the relationship. The depressed partner may find value in this book too. This book will validate so much for you on what is avert hard journey, cannot recommend it enough.
Adam Gott
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great support for anyone suffering with a depressed spouse/partner.
Shirley
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good insight through personal experiences of living with individuals suffering the many types of depression. Gets into some technical language, but highly readable.
Emily
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book saved me from a place of deep darkness and hopelessness as I struggled with living with my beloved partner and his depression. I felt I was watching helpless from the sidelines, alone. This book made me realise I'm very much not alone or completely helpless.
Danielle T
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
First thing I should mention- the forum frequently mentioned still exists, just not at the URL it was at in 2003 (which happens- I know several online communities have moved addresses over the past decade). You can find the Depression Fallout community here. Future editions of this book should update URLs and the web resources list.

This book was not for me- I am the depressed partner, not the one experiencing fallout. It was recommended to me by a counselor as something for my partner & I t
Alex
Oct 06, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Using the vivid, poignant and personal stories of the members of a website support group she founded (www.depressionfallout.com), Anne Sheffield, the author of two highly acclaimed books on depression, provides an honest record of what happens to a love relationship once depression enters the picture, and offers solid advice on what the non–depressed partner can do to improve his or her own life and the relationship.

Of the millions of people who suffer from a depressive illness, few suffer i

Luis Alexandre Ribeiro Branco
So far this is one of the best books I have read about depression. It is very practical and speaks from relationships to medications. Deeply recommend it!
Jennie Hoelscher
Dec 24, 2011
Adam Adkins
Dec 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• 10,000 Ways to Say I Love You: The Biggest Collection of Romantic Ideas Ever Gathered in One Place
  • What No One Tells the Bride: Surviving the Wedding, Sex After the Honeymoon, Second Thoughts, Wedding Cake Freezer Burn, Becoming Your Mother, Screaming about Money, Screaming about In-Laws, Maintaining Your Identity, and Being Blissfully Happy Despite...
  • Is It Me or My Meds?: Living with Antidepressants
  • The Impossibility of Sex: Stories of the Intimate Relationship between Therapist and Patient
  • DIY Vegan: More Than 100 Easy Recipes to Create an Awesome Plant-Based Pantry
  • How to Love
  • Expressive Writing: Words That Heal
  • A Brain Wider Than the Sky: A Migraine Diary
  • Against Depression
  • One Big Happy Family: 18 Writers Talk About Polyamory, Open Adoption, Mixed Marriage, Househusbandry, Single Motherhood, and Other Realities of Truly Modern Love
  • The Other Side of Desire: Four Journeys into the Far Realms of Lust and Longing
  • World Politics Since 1945