Start by marking “Between the Shade and the Shadow” as Want to Read:
Between the Shade and the Shadow

Between the Shade and the Shadow

In the deep heart of the forest, there are places where no light ever shines, where darkness is folded by pale hands and jewel-bright eyes, where the world is ruled by the wicked and kept by the wraiths. This is where the Sprites of the Sihl live.
But Sprites are not born, they are made. On the path to Spritehood, spritelings must first become shades. They do so by binding
Published June 21st 2018 by The Realmless, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Between the Shade and the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between the Shade and the Shadow

Liz
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Between the Shade and the Shadow has to be one of the more unique fantasy titles I have read. For one, it has Sprites! And secondly, yes, it comes with a straightforward, simple plot in the face of a coming of age story where the protagonist finds herself in front of a difficult choice and an even harder test, but in this case, the saying- in simplicity lies beauty- really rings true. Because the plot really gave room for the other, more important aspects of the book to shine so much brighter... ...more
Aly
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. We meet Ahraia and Losna and we learn about the life of a shade and shadows. I love the world building in this book and how the author drew me right into this story and world with these characters. I have mixed feeling about fantasy books sometimes but this one I loved. I would read more from this author. This book was great! *This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.*
Amber Gregory
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read this book on a weekend, otherwise you might need to call in sick to finish it. Even better, read it on a rainy weekend, snuggled up with the internet off and the door locked.

I loved every startlingly imaginative page. Loyal friends and courage of conviction when enemies surround you are the magic dust of classic fantasy. Take the magic dust and put it in the midnight dark of the deep forest, in the bewitching, isolated world of sprites and shades, and you have a very compelling story.

Betwe
A.M. Justice
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spfbo
4.5 out of 5 stars

The original copy of this review appears on Fantasy Faction:

Between the Shade and the Shadow has a haunting, fast paced narrative that kept me enchanted from beginning to end. A gripping coming-of-age story about a rebellious adolescent girl and her wolf companion, it’s Island of the Blue Dolphins meets The Golden Compass meets The Hunger Games, except in this case, the heroine isn’t human. Ahraia is an adolescent sprite.

In mythology and folk tales, sprites frequently appear a
Claire Davis
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received Between the Shade and the Shadow by Coleman Alexander in exchange for an honest review. I have given this book five out of five stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐First of all, let's all just take a long moment to soak in the beauty of the front cover of this book. I love the art detail in this cover, especially with the Shad-Mon appearing towards the back, which (to be completely honest with you) I did not realise the Shad-Mon was in it at all until I took a proper look at the cover.This book was absolutely ...more
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was so different and unique which made it so interesting. The world they live in is made evil by the way they live their lives. It just normal to them, it who they are as a species. Their way of existing has been always been their way. Yet she questions it, she fights against the system because it not who she is as a shade. She just wants to live with her shadow, but people won’t let her. She tainted by all their schemes and lies.

I liked how she had to fight to figure out who she really wante
Hobart
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-reads
There is some really fine writing, and some decent storytelling in this novel -- maybe some of the emotions are overwrought, and there's some poorly written scenes and whatnot. But on the whole this is an impressive work. The problem is, the only way I know that is because I forced myself to finish the book because I told Alexander I would. If this were a library book, I'd have been done with it by the 10% mark -- if I'd bought it? I probably would've made myself go on to 20%. But I literally ha ...more
Shirley Cuypers
Jun 06, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc-beta, ebooks
I read 7% of this book and it was interesting, but it isn't something for me. I didn't really feel like reading this book and I hate pushing myself.
Lola Et La Vie
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
It took me a third of the book to really get into it. The writing felt a bit all over the place and I really struggled picturing Ahraia and her world at the beginning. I actually put the book down after around a third, feeling I was starting to get frustrated. I even considered not finishing it.

However, when I picked the book back up a few days later I started to get into the strange and wondeful world the author has created. In the end I thought it was a really good read. The world feels origin
Charlotte
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: won-giveaways
Thank you Goodreads giveaways for this free Kindle copy.

I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would, but it was overall okay.
Things I liked; the cover is pretty, the main character was good, the story's whole atmosphere was cool and very dark.
Things I didn't like; every other word seemed to be an invented one(sometimes without a definition) and some upsetting (to me) scenes involving harming animals.

~~~KittyMeowMeow
Reonie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-tbr
Between the Shade and the Shadow is the story of a Shade (young Sprite / night elf) and her struggle to keep her and her wolf companion alive while dealing with their truly terrible community.

The world of the shades and sprites is very dark; figuratively and literally. They get burned by the faintest of light and they fear the sun as much as they do the monsters living in the deep woods. The world building is intricate and seen from the perspective of a creature that doesn’t like the day and see
Nicole
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from a goodreads giveaway.

It took the first 5-6 chapters for me to really become interested, but when it finally happened it was sudden and intense. The world building is great and it seemed like the author had a fun time creating this imagined world. I had no trouble imagining any of it.

The characters were well developed. I cared about what happened to both the main characters and side characters. I enjoyed the plot and was pleasantly surprised at the twists. Som
Mike
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

It’s been a while since a book really surprised me. But there are a lot of twists and turns in this very dark fantasy tale. Every time I thought I had a handle on what was going on I was proven wrong, much to the dismay of the main character and myself!

Woven into this engaging story is a good amount of exposition which really brings the world to life, happily I see that this story might not be a series but the first step into a beau
Calvin Park
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. Coleman Alexander’s Between the Shade and the Shadow is a mixture of a coming-of-age story and a quest fantasy wrapped in a literally dark, forested world. To top it off there are several unique elements from Sprite society, to the assumption of their culture that light is bad (since even moonlight burns them), to a fascinating and mysterious magic.

There is a lot to like in this novel, but I think what Between the Shade and the Shadow does best is worldbuilding and th
SouthernTodayGoneTomorrow
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top
This novel explores what it means to be a monster. How to make one. How to lose what makes you you. This isn’t an easy thing to accomplish, and more often then not writers take this to the extreme, or try to shout it from the top of the mountains. This novel was subtle in that you had to discover what the monsters were.

Well written, this novel is well paced, though fast by no means, and the author has brought characters to play who have depth and flaws.

Now, to the meat.

This novel deals with thre
Felicia Allen
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
this was a really interesting story. Not many YA fantasy books use sprites. It was unique.
Rachel
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Original review posted on my blog From Ink to Paper

I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I will admit it took me a while to get into this book, it just wasn’t grabbing me at first and I just felt a little confused on how everyone kind of went together. Mainly just like how the different hierarchy was in the group of the Sprites/Shades and then also just who other groups of people were in the book. At first I thought Alps were humans, but it seems like they are actuall
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
Full RTC tomorrw

05/27-- The confusion went away... eventually.
Coleman Alexander
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written-by-me
Between the Shade and the Shadow is my first book, and now that I’ve had a few months to let my emotions settle, I think I’m finally ready to give my two cents.
First of all, this is a strange corner of the greater world that I’m creating, and though it’s mysterious and enchanting in many ways, I look back and wish I would have done more to ease the entry into this corner of the world. Sprites are strange creatures and the darkenings they live in are difficult to understand without being fully i
Alex McGilvery
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a culture which immediately assume darkness means evil, Coleman Alexander’s book creates darkness as a place to live for a people who burn under light (even moonlight). This doesn’t mean that there is no evil afoot.
Ahraia is a shade. A dweller of the night who has bonded with a shadow, a wolf named Losna. No one in her home can recall a shade ever binding a wolf as a shadow, though it could be said Losna bound her. Her shadow is not the only thing to set her apart from the people around her.
Caitlin Farley
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alexander’s enthralling debut novel immerses the reader in the cruel and competitive world of the nocturnal sprites. Their forest home, Daispar, is a believable and enticing world of darkness where even moonlight will burn and scar a sprite’s ashen skin. The visual Alexander conjures is amazing too. The magic system allows sprites to communicate with plants, convincing them to twist tree branches into walls and enclosures to protect them from the light of both the sun and three moons.

The intric
Pamela Scott
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed)

This is my first time reading the author. I really loved this book. I thought the concept was very unique. The plot is quite a straight forward and simple coming-of-age story with some great fantasy twists. The writing is fantastic, really beautiful and vivid at times. This was a pleasure to read from start to finish. I loved the main character, Ahraia. She binds a wolf, stunning her community as this seems to be a symbol to suggest greatness lies i
Scott Sammons
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Long, complexed, well developed....

This story is complicated and full of well developed characters, that in the end, I just never connected to. The richness of the writing, quality of editing, publishing, and overall presentation is to be commended and there are undoubtedly many readers who will love these stories. I really just didn't like it much, but am at a loss to give a definitive reason for my distaste. I love long stories and refuse to download anything less than 300 pages. I am usually
Charlotte
Between the Shade and the Shadow has some amazing world building and it throws you right in at the deep end (which is initially quite scary and confusing!) It’s worth sticking with, the complexities soon make sense and, whilst some are clearly coming, there are some great plot twists that you won’t predict. Real delight following the characters’ journey
Susan A
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Complicated Good story

It was hard for me at times. I'm sure others will breeze threw. Very good story and strange, but interesting characters. Ahraia's hit with and gets in a lot of jams . The question is always, is she even going to make it ?
David
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Started out slow, I almost gave up reading. But I kept going and glad that I did. The excitement and story keeps building more and more stronger and stronger until I was cheering on the two main characters and couldn't wait to get to the end. One of the best books I have ever read.
Joan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting story. Loved the bond between the main characters. Once you get into it, it is a real page turner. Highly recommended!
Brie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an e-copy in a goodreads giveaway.

I had a hard time connecting to the characters and the world. I put it down about 5 times before giving up.

• Blinding Night (Blinding Night #1)
  • Miss Demeanor
  • Social Misfits
  • Incrusted: Hiding The Demon Within (Warepire Reverse Harem Romance, #1)
  • The Long Road Home
  • Saving Death
  • Things I'd Rather Do Than Die
  • Seeking Sanctuary (Shelter Me #1)
  • The Underlighters
  • Counterfeit Boyfriend
  • Animal
  • Supernatural Slayer (Supernatural Slayer #1)
  • Love Beyond Opposites (Grad Night #3)
  • A Story of River
  • Be a Unicorn and Live Life on the Bright Side
  • The Rules of Rebellion
  • Sisters' Entrance
  • Wild Kisses (Wilder Irish, #6)
I like to read and write immersive high fantasy. Hopefully my world becomes an escape for you, as it is for me.