Start by marking “Dandy” as Want to Read:
Dandy

Dandy

From popular author Ame Dyckman and rising star Charles Santoso comes the laugh-out-loud story of a father desperate to destroy the dandelion marring his perfectly manicured lawn, and his daughter's fierce attempts to save it.

When Daddy spots a solitary weed in his lawn, he's appalled (along with all of his neighborhood friends). But his daughter Sweetie has fallen in
Published April 2nd 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dandy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dandy

Start your review of Dandy
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars!

A bright and colourful children’s book that had us laughing out loud!

Daddy comes out of his house to find a dandelion in the middle of his perfectly manicured lawn. Ready to dig it out, Daddy is stopped by his daughter, Sweetie, who has fallen in love with this flower, naming it Charlotte. Daddy tries to outsmart Sweetie by sneaking out to get rid of the weed, but Sweetie beats him to save Charlotte every time.

My three and five-year-old were in fits of giggles and laughter while
Jana
During the Easter Sunday message, our pastor suggested that, in the spirit of making something new happen, the flower of Easter be changed from the lily to the dandelion. At the look of surprise on people's faces, he went on to talk about how the "flower" is nearly impossible to kill - it keeps coming back (resurrection), it's disliked and unappreciated by many, while others find it beautiful. Then I came home and read this amazing picture book and I got a little emotional... The father in the ...more
Josiphine/Tessa
This is adorable and it made me laugh out loud. As a dandelion lover, I support this book whole-heartedly.
Rod Brown
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simply adorable. Not only is this irresistible to fathers like me who have a daughter (now grown, but still!), but I can totally use it to justify the presence of the dandelions currently popping up on my lawn. Win win!
Annese
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Being the nerd I am, I called my dad to show him too. No shame.
Devera Chandler
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy. This book is the best picture book I have read in a very long time. It is humorous (and very accurate about the Daddies and their lawns.) It is heartwarming (especially in regards to how little girls get attached to the most unusual things) and brings so much joy when you see what a parent will do and sacrifice for their little one. Do yourself a favor and read this book. Then buy a copy of it. Then buy a copy of it for every baby shower you attend in the future. Then do yourself a favor ...more
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful! This may very well be my favorite picture book I've read this year!
Laurie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3

Do you have a dad who likes to keep your yard in perfect condition? What about a whole neighborhood? This is how the daddy lion and the rest of the neighborhood is... that is until a dandelion (a weed) pops up in daddy lion's yard. As he is rushing out to the yard with the clippers to get rid of it his daughter, Sweetie, has already named it Charlotte and they are best friends. Getting pressure from all the neighbors he tries to get rid of it during reading time, during nap
Emily
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddo-books
The quintessential Dad finds a weed in his perfect lawn and flips out, he must get rid of it! His lawn is his status in this neighborhood. His life, his soul, his hard work all hinge on not having any monstrous weeds in his lawn. A Dandelion pops up on the afternoon. Scandalous! Unfortunately, his daughter sweetie got to the weed first, and she has named it and made it her best friend.

Every time Dad goes to kill this weed, and restore the honor his yard deserves, sweetie is right there
Adele
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dads reading to their daughters
Recommended to Adele by: Rod Brown
This is a sweet story and the pictures are cute. There are lots of nice little details to look at and compare between the opening and closing spreads. So why only 3 stars? I felt like there was something about the art I couldn't put my finger on, and then I read that the pictures were created digitally with hand-drawn pencil textures on top. And, well, they look like you would expect something done that way to look - kind of commercialized and manufactured. Also, the meanness of the neighbors ...more
Raven Black
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The interesting part of this book is, while it has Ame D. all over it, at the same time it does not feel like her other books. That, I think, is due to Santos's illustration. They "tame down" her quirkyness. And even though it is nice to see a "daddy/daughter" story, I'm with the original feeling about the dandelion: Charlotte.... I mean the dandelion.... must go (With that said, yes, I played with them, too, as a child, but my family was less than supportive about it.... Nobody wanted their ...more
Danielle
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: advance-copies
A fun and heartwarming story about a Dad whose little girl makes friends with the *gasp* weed in his otherwise immaculate front lawn. Pressured by the neighbors to pull it up, he tries again and again to remove it, going to creative and silly lengths to sneak out while his daughter is preoccupied. He fails each time, as his daughter is a fierce protector of her new friend.

The illustrations communicate with the reader at the same pace as the prose and the moral of the story is a soft lob,
Emily
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Daddy just can't bring himself to get rid of the dandelion while Sweetie is around. And she's ALWAYS around!
Beth
Oh the things daddies will do for their daughters.... even leave weeds on the lawn.
Elizabeth
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best and funniest book I have ever read!
Danielle
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! I have recommended it to so many families already. It is so cute! Very clever and a unique idea which is hard to find in children's books! I had to give this one a review myself because as a mom I so enjoyed reading this and now when we see dandelions we all yell "CHARLOTTE!" I had to read it to my husband because I think every dad needs to read this with his little girls because it is a sweet story about a little girl and her dad....and several other little girl's ...more
Stefanie Burns
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daddy's little sweetie picks a little flower to love. Only it's not a little flower. It's a weed. Daddy takes great pride in his yard and wants this weed removed. Immediately. But everytime he turns around to take care of the week, there's Sweetie, sitting with her favorite thing. Finally, Daddy decides to keep the weed for Sweetie. Then horror strikes. His clippers fall out of his hand and cut the weed! Poor Sweetie sobs with disappointment and heartache. Daddy makes it up to her by letting ...more
Diane
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Daddy Lion and the other neighborhood fathers are very serious about lawn care. So when a dandelion appears on his lawn he is ready to remove it, but his little girl, Sweetie, has made it her friend. With pressure from the neighbors, Daddy tries during book time, snack time, and nap time to rid his lawn of the offending weed. But Sweetie is always there. Finally, when she goes off to swim lessons, Daddy sees his chance. But he can’t remove the weed. And then ... uh oh! How will he tell Sweetie?

A
Suzannebuza
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMGracious! So, I love ALL things Amy Dyckman anyway, but this one I bought with the intention of giving it to my husband for Father’s Day to read with our daughter. Of course, I HAD to read it ten times myself beforehand because it was so stinkin’ cute and hilarious!

Every girl needs a hero that she calls “Dad” and sometimes being the hero isn’t as easy as you think (especially when it involves putting your pride aside.)

This book is simply DANDY!
PS: Hubby was laughing all the way through!!
Marco
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This cute story is sure to delight during reading time and anyone with a parent/guardian figure in their life who takes things like cutting the grass super serious will see them here in a lion who wants to cut a weed off his lawn but his daughter has named it and it is now her best friend.

Funny illustrations and also a story that can take on many things: masculine toxicity, the loss of imagination, family - and, even, death (as to what happens to the dandelion in the story, but not overly
Jo Oehrlein
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Feels a little more like a picture book for adults than a picture book for kids.

Do we really want kids to be talking and thinking about their parents trying to get rid of their playthings/named characters whenever the kids' backs are turned?

Definitely has stuff to say about peer pressure (from the other dads), so in some ways I think it might speak to the middle school crowd if you could get them to read it. Love that the other dads admit that they can't always get their kids to do what they
Mandy
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Childrens picture book. A daddy lion has a perfect lawn in a neighborhood full of perfect lawns. Until a dandelion springs up. But before he can get his clippers, his daughter has discovered the flower and named it Charlotte. Daddy's efforts to get rid of the weed are thwarted by his daughter's constant presence by the flower's side. When she leaves to go to swim practice, he finally gets his chance. But can he hurt something his daughter loves?

A cute, funny story about dads and daughters,
Gabrielle Stoller
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh the dandelion. There was debate even when I did this in a storytime of whether or not a dandelion was a flower.....or was it a weed? Believe it or not, Kindergarten kids have very strong opinions.

So does Charlotte in our book. A dandelion has crept into her dad's perfectly manicured lawn. He is determined to get rid of it at ALL costs. But Charlotte is already around. She won't let anything happen to it. So one day, when Charlotte is gone...........

This book is delightful and sweet.
Amy
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, spring
When I was young, I would sometimes gather dandelions together from the yard in a bouquet for my stepmom. (Queen Anne’s Lace too!) Like Sweetie, I had no idea they were considered weeds. Kids love dandelions! They are in abundance and you can make necklaces out of them too! Super cute picture book especially when neighbors and Dad are doing everything they can do save the once despised dandelion.
Katie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ame Dyckman does it again! Like the lion daddy in this story, I too hate seeing dandelions in my yard. But the little lion cub helps us to see that there can be beauty in everything. I think most parents will totally relate to this book and trying to be sneaky in getting rid of something a child loves. Great book for teaching perspective in a funny, humorous way. Loved the illustrations as well!
Sheri
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What does a daddy lion who has a perfectly groomed yard do when his daughter falls in love with a weed? Well, he let's Sweetie have her friend and risks ridicule by the other neighbor dads with yard pride. But it is very hard for poor daddy lion. And at the end he gives up on a his beautiful yard but he loves his little cub so much. And the illustrations are so funny I couldn't help but buy the book.
Pam
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful story about a dad who makes the decision to support his daughter rather than kill the dandelion in his yard.
Adults will enjoy the references to obsessive lawn care in suburbia. Young readers will appreciate the relationship between dad and daughter.
The illustrations bring out the emotions all of the characters are feeling as the story unfolds.
Tori
Dad is serious about his beautiful lawn, so when a dandelion sprouts in the middle of it, he's ready to cut it down. When his daughter decides the flower is her new pet, however, dad has to find a way to off the flower without alerting her. Great illustrations, a great ending, and a great message about valuing the little things.
Mimi.Y
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh the cute and funny book ever!!! This would be a good book to give for Father's Day. Men and their lawns so much pride they put into it. Well when you have a daughter who is so adorable, cute and sweet how could anyone cut the weed that destroy the lawn. The other homeowners is getting on his case about it but just can't upset his princess.
Eleanor W
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is DARLING! I loved it, Mom loved it, and when she read it to Dad and he loved it! my sister who is 11 loved it too! If you have someone who loves their lawn this is bound to bring laughter and also touch your heart.

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Truman
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Sweety