Start by marking “Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)” as Want to Read:
Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)

Split Second (Maggie O'Dell #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  6,557 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Split Second (Maggie O'Dell Novels)
Published August 1st 2001 by Mira (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Split Second, please sign up.

Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Much improved over the first book though still not without issues.

The last story ended with news of serial killer Albert Stucky's escape. This one continues five months later with what ensues and the impact on Maggie O'Dell. We didn't have many details about him and it all unfolds as he wreaks havoc in Maggie's world.

The cases are gruesome and chilling. The story moves at a pretty good pace except when it shifts to the frantic meandering of Maggie's mind as
Phrynne
Number two in the series and I have to admit it is not really grabbing me. I am sure that I am supposed to like Maggie but so far I just want to tell her to please get her act together. As for Nick he has changed from an arrogant idiot in the first book to a mature, caring adult in this one! How did that happen? On the other hand the book is quite readable and moves at a fair pace although I did skim some of Maggie's musings. I am giving this three stars (though it should actually be two and a h ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Split Second, the 2nd novel in this series begins five months after the escape of the serial killer, Albert Stuckey at the end of the previous book, A Perfect Evil.

Maggie O"Dell, the FBI profiler who had spent years profiling the killer, has been removed from working on the field after Stuckey's daring escape.

But when people close to her start being murdered with the same M.O. as Stuckey, she is back in charge of investigation

Another cat and mouse game between Maggie and the cunning killer - Ma
Nat
4.5 stars, the 1/2 star just because I like Nick so much.
Christa
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I like Split Second even better than the first book in the Maggie O'Dell seres. This was a reread for me, and it has been enough years that I didn't remember much about the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think Kava did a great job of writing a thrilling suspense. I couldn't turn the pages enough waiting to find out what would happen to Maggie, Tully, Tess, and some of the other characters.

FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell has been taken out of the field after her nemesis, serial killer Albert
Robin
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2016
When Serial Killer Albert Stuckey was finally put in prison, FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell breathed a sigh of relief. But it was only a few months later that Stuckey escaped from prison. Maggie is an expert profiler who knows Stuckey like the back of her hand. She is the one person who knows Stuckey's patterns, knows the way he thinks. As Maggie works with Special Agent R.J. Tully, they realize that the latest victims all have one thing in common...they have all been in contact with Maggie wit ...more
Wendy
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-15
Loved this 2nd book in the Maggie O'Dell series!
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Being overly generous with a 3 star rating...maybe really a 2.

This one was really hard to rate. I liked the first book well enough that I moved to book 2 fairly quickly. I'm new to the series so in essence I can binge read the series, if I desire to. And that's the big question. Do I desire to? After book 1, I thought I did. Now after book 2, I'm seriously considering abandoning the series.

The Plot - the plot is a 4 to 5 star plot - if done well. It is the primary reason I was able to finally ge
Ana T.
I read A Perfect Evil a while ago at A.'s recommendation and after that I couldn't resist getting the others in the series. While A Perfect Evil had a romance subplot this story is more of a thriller and the romance is really very secondary.

Some say Maggie O’Dell has lost it – lost the professional edge that makes her one of the best criminal profilers, and lost her ability to think clearly. Since capturing Stucky she’s been walking a tightwire, battling nightmares and the guilt over the victims
Maureen DeLuca
This is the second in the FBI profiler series of Maggie O'Dell.

This book starts off where the first book ends. It is strongly recommended that you read A Perfect Evil first in order to get to know the characters and their backgrounds a little better.

Maggie put Albert Stuckey, a sociopath that loved to murder women and leave their entrails hanging out, away in prison about eight months ago after being forced to watch Stuckey perform one of his murders. Unfortunately, Stuckey has escaped from pri
Melissa
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As suspected, Albert Stucky is stalking FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell. Or is he? This one had me guessing til the end. Is it Albert Stucky or his previous business partner? Or are they working together? There's more suspense this time around and the descriptions of the murders a bit more visual. Nick (from book 1) is back and the chemistry is still there with Maggie. We also meet a new partner for Maggie. At least I'm hoping he shows up again. Special Agent R. J. Tully is a single dad raising ...more
William
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am giving it 4 stars because it performs. It was simply a better product than book one. I will go on to the series.
Diane
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read - a serial killer that could be a copy cat or not ;)

Maggie O'Dell is a great heroine, flawed, very human, very brave, and very unsettled. No punches pulled in this book - once all the background info was dealt with, the story moved at a very good pace. Some wrenches thrown in here and there always helps keeping you guessing what comes next.

I'm glad that this book finishes one story, but also leaves another one open - great character development, plus Maggie now has a dog - a w
Gea
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Weer zo’n lekkere ontspannende thriller. Toch blijf ik die seriemoordenaars maar vreemd vinden. Ontsnappen ze uit de gevangenis, hebben ze genoeg geld op de bank staan om het ervan te nemen. Wat doen ze, ze gaan weer achter de agent aan die hen in de eerste plaats achter tralies gegooid hebben. Hoe vreemd kun je zijn en die agenten maar beweren dat seriemoordenaars niet gek zijn? Gekker kun je niet worden, volgens mij. :-)
Joi
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this book, like I have the others in this series.
Pam
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book series I'm going to book #3
Christopher Hivner
Serial killer Albert Stucky has escaped during a prison transfer and is once again plying his trade murdering young women. Only this time his victims are all women who have come in contact with Maggie O’Dell, the FBI profiler who originally caught him. O’Dell is living in fear for not only her life but the lives of any woman she even speaks to. On top of that she’s not the lead investigator in recapturing Stucky as her boss is trying to protect her. As the bodies pile up fingerprints are found t ...more
Louise
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! This was a hold your breath, edge of your seat, cliffhanger!!!!!

From back cover:

"They dubbed him the Collector, so named for his ritual of collecting victims before disposing of them in the most heinous ways possible. FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell tracked him for two years, finally ending their game of cat and mouse. Now Albert Stucky has escaped from prison...and he is setting up a new game for Maggie O'Dell.

Some say Maggie O'Dell has lost her edge as one of the FBI's best profilers. Sin
Darcy
With this book Maggie seems a little different, a combo of vulnerable and on top of things and she could switch from one to another in the drop of a hat. It didn't help that Stuckey came after Maggie with a vengeance, but in a subtle way that wasn't noticed for a while.

Maggie's new partner was a funny guy. There were times I didn't like him, he was a bit absentminded, but he worked as a balance for Maggie. I really loved that Nick turned up again and the connection that they had.

I really loved
Kim
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the series and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. Maggie O'Dell is helping to investigate a serial killer who previously hurt her. He seems to be targetting everyone she comes into contact with. She lives in a new house which has a big security system and you are on tenterhooks to see that she stays safe whilst she tries to 'stop' him.
❆ Crystal ❆
3.5 stars. This was an improvement from the first book. It had some unique twists and turns that kept me guessing all the way to the end. This is defiantely a thriller as I was pretty terrified most of the way through. I look forward to the next book!
J.W.
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable suspense novel. This one was a bit better than the first but her ending still wasn't cohesive. The finale was more satisfying in this one than the previous novel. I'll definitely try the other installments in this series.
विकास   नैनवाल
It is the second novel in the Maggie O'Dell series. It is fast paced and there was never a dull movement.
Sharon Bennett
I was so looking forward to reading this book after stumbling by accident across the first Maggie O’Dell book which I loved. But unfortunately, I have been left disappointed.

Maggie is after “Stucky” for a second time after he escapes from a prison van. The author tries too hard to make us understand how Maggie is feeling. There are far too many references to feeling scared and anxious - we already know that. Alex Kava should give herself more credit because her writing is brilliant and we as re
Rolaka Ola Ri
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myślałam, że autorka niczym mnie w tej pozycji nie zaskoczy po 100 przeczytanych stronach, gdy okazało się, że jednak się myliłam. Książka jest naprawdę świetna; brutalna, bezlitosna, ale również dająca nadzieję i realna. Znowu dostajemy akcję z punktu widzenia różnych osób. Tak naprawdę my wiemy, co się stanie, kto jest mordercą i sama zagadka nas nie interesuje. Chcemy jedynie wiedzieć, co wydarzy się dalej czy złapią prześladowcę głównej bohaterki.
Czytało mi się naprawdę dobrze, a zakończenie
martin bradbury
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read, going for series 3

Maggie is a detective who sometimes over steps her boundaries , and I have to remember this is a novel, like her new partner Tully, and new love interest, lots of action, remember to start at series one, I started with 5 to see if I like her writing and wish I started with the beginning TMI enjoy
Theresa Hurley
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Loved the suspense between Maggie and Stucky. Kept the story interesting.
Jane
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was somewhat of a disappointment as the follow-up to A Perfect Evil. It was an okay read but not as much action as I was expecting.
Ronald Howell
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good read. Love her character (Maggie O'Dell).
Tara Wesely
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It started out a little slow but the ending was fantastic.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 9 17 May 01, 2016 10:21AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 9 15 Mar 07, 2016 11:01AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question R 10 13 Mar 07, 2016 08:58AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question T 12 14 Mar 07, 2016 08:54AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question S 8 11 Mar 07, 2016 08:48AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question Q 7 10 Mar 07, 2016 08:40AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 6 11 Mar 07, 2016 08:39AM
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • Cold Girl (B.C. Blues Crime, #1)
  • Last Words (Last #2; John Mancini #12)
  • Shadow of Vengeance (CORE Shadow Trilogy, #3)
  • Vicious
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • The Truth
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
ALEX KAVA IS A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR of the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series and a new series featuring former Marine, Ryder Creed and his K9 dogs. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was the 2006 One Book One Nebraska. Published in over thirty countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestseller lists in the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Poland. Her novel Stranded ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Before Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #0.5)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)