Start by marking “You Are Not Your Thoughts: The Secret Magic of Mindfulness” as Want to Read:
You Are Not Your Thoughts: The Secret Magic of Mindfulness

You Are Not Your Thoughts: The Secret Magic of Mindfulness

We all wish to be more mindful, engaged, present, loving the life we are living, but is this possible and how? You Are Not Your Thoughts: The Secret Magic of Mindfulness makes the journey into a mindful way of being a profoundly simple one, both to understand and to access. It is a book for those who want to truly know the power of mindfulness to transform their experience ...more
Published November 30th 2018 by O Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are Not Your Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Not Your Thoughts

Start your review of You Are Not Your Thoughts: The Secret Magic of Mindfulness
Debra
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"Thoughts are in your head, Feelings are in your body."

At only 104 pages, this book is a fast read about being mindful, meditating, and being present in one's life. What I liked is that the language is straight forward and in layman's terms. I don't think there is any new information presented, but this book does present the information in a very succinct way. Everything makes sense and each section of the book flows nicely into the next.

"Mindfulness is... the art of paying attention."

Many peop
Mackey
Recently I was told that my negative thoughts were killing me and that because I was thinking so much about getting old, I actually was creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Hmmm... At first I was quite angry. I like to think of myself as more forward thinking than they were suggesting. But then I realized that they were absolutely right! All of my life I have had nothing except negative thoughts about myself. The reason for this is myriad and complex but the causes are not the same as the soluti ...more
Patty Smith
Many thanks to NetGalley, Frances Trussell and John Hunt Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advanced copy.

You are not your thoughts - what a concept. If I could do that, I’d be a happier little lamb! That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t aspire to higher thinking. Now I know, I know, this is not a new concept but it bears worth repeating, or reading, over and over again. I seriously dove into the mindfulness/meditation wor
Caidyn (BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

I received an ARC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This will be published November 30th!

Buddhism is a religion that I was unofficially raised in. The religion I was raised in borrowed heavily from Buddhist ideas. I’m pretty knowledgeable about it when it comes down to it. I might not know the specific teachings, but I’m familiar with the ideas and how to practice them.

So, this book isn’t exactly for me.

It’s for people who aren’t as fami
Jessica C Writes
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The first 20 pages of this were really interesting and I feel like I learned a lot from it. However, I felt like it became very repetitive and a little too basic for me. I would have preferred if there were more depth to it, as I have a basic understanding of meditation already. I feel like this is a COMPLETE beginner's guide, so it is not that interesting if you are familiar with meditation concepts already.

I feel like it would be better to simply use a guided meditation app to learn the same c
Diane
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little book to help you centre your life. Becomes A little repetitive but a great reminder to breath.
Samantha
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I’m sure the good intentions were there but it came across as a little contrite and in places; almost sarcastic. I also found the content woolly, with no real insight into mindfulness at all. I’d advise saving your money and putting it toward a Calm subscription where mindfulness is both taught and explained in an engaging way.
Dawn Thomas
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You Are Not Your Thoughts by Frances Trussell
Book Review by Dawn Thomas

105 Pages
Publisher: John Hunt Publishing / O-Books
Release Date November 30, 2018

Meditation, Motivation, Self-Help

For a small book there are many messages inside. Last year I started meditating and found reading from different perspectives helpful. Her statement about finally getting mindfulness is how I felt about it. We need to know we are separate from our thoughts and the thoughts of others. This book gives us exercises an
January Gray
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really teaches you how to truly live in the moment. We all need to learn how to slow our thoughts and how to correct them, and this book is an excellent tool for that!
Tina Milledge
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a short book, it packs a punch. Plenty of useful suggestions for mindfulness if you are looking for a self help book.
Joyce Wheeler
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this quick read, for all of its valuable insight and tools for living in the now. To be fair, I just read it so I haven't had a lot of time to put into practice the authors suggestions but I definitely look forward to seeing what progress is made. Suffering from anxiety, I know that my doctors have encouraged this form of treatment but I've been a tad reluctant. This book breaks it down very simply and efficiently making it a lot less overwhelming than many books I have read on the sub ...more
Ramona Mead
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: advanced-copies
This brief book is a lovely addition to materials already available on the topic of mindfulness. If I was a beginner to the subject, this would likely have gone over my head a bit. Since I already have a firm grasp on the concept, it resonated with me in a strong way and provided a few tips I had not seen elsewhere. The writing is almost lyrical and I'd get into a rhythm while reading that was relaxing on its own. The author puts a big emphasis on the importance of meditation in a mindful life, ...more
Dirty Dayna
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Just Breathe Stars

this is a quick mindfulness book. it would work better if the sections were more defined and possibly making each point ion mindfulness its own page would be great. there are a lot of profound things mentioned in this book and I copied a few notes for later use. this book is mindfulness and you are able to find at least one thing in this book you can do to quiet the world around you
Rosalind Bryden
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read many, many books about personal development, including books about mindfulness, so I wasn't particularly expecting to find anything 'new' in 'You Are Not Your Thoughts'. However I discovered this book is a real gem.

There are many things I love about the book. First of all it is short! With many books you have to digest pages of theory before you can 'get going', but in this book there are short exercises you can try right from the beginning. So you don't have to spend time understand
Kathy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
You Are Not Your Thoughts: The Secret Matter of Mindfulness is a good introduction to mindfulness and meditation. A quick and easy read, it actually explains how to meditate for those who have not been able to find the information elsewhere.

The author distinguishes between thoughts (mind) and feelings (emotional reactions to thoughts that cause physical changes within the body). Her premise is you are not your thoughts, that you can control your thoughts (and reactions to them) by meditation, an
Anne
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very short book... and much of it could be argued is "common sense" and yet... I seem to have more clippings from the 100 pages here than from much larger books. It is stuffed full of perfect little axioms that are easy to remember/collect and are perfect to meditate on.

"Rather than being your thoughts and emotions, be the awareness behind them."

"If your mind is always rushing to be in the future and you hear yourself thinking 'when I do that I'll be happy, when I have achieved that I
Elaine Tansley
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A great concise introduction to mindfulness and how to separate ourselves from our thoughts. Although, it is a very quick read it is packed with insights and tips for incorporating mindfulness into our everyday life. It removes the mystery from mindfulness meditation, is written in straightforward language and bite-sized chunks, so is suitable for everyone.

I will definitely recommend this book to anybody who is curious about or new to mindfulness.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC
Tina
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This book is a really short book which is something that I really appreciate in self help books. I just want to get to the point and start to put what I have learnt into practice. I feel that this book is probably more aimed at somebody who has never practiced mindfulness before. The author talks of separating your thoughts from your feelings which did give me pause for thought. I would recommend this book to anyone w ...more
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of the better mindfulness books I’ve read. While nothing 'new' to me (I've been meditating for several years), the tone is perfectly pitched to be accessible but neither too new age-y or dumbed down at all.

I used my bus journey home from work to read it, slowly, and I can genuinely tell you that I’ve never found traffic jams so relaxing!

Full review, as ever, is up on my blog.
Ginae B.
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You Are Not is a challenge. A worthy one. But, one, nonetheless.

If you are an overconscioutous reader, try not to be should you endeavor this one. Do not misunderstand us. This will tie up some of the loose ends for you, if you are already reading along these spiritual lines. "The Power of Now," comes to mind.

However, there is more work involved with this reading. It's kind of mind blowing! Just work with it. The payoff is great.

Wild.
Katarina
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
*I received a free copy of an eARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review*

I am so happy I read this book. It is a short and accessible guide to mindfulness and meditation. When I was reading this, I was going through a hard time in my personal life and this book really helped. It contains meditations that I had not heard of before that were relaxing. I will definitely keep this book as a resource and re-read.
Kate Woodhouse
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This little book brings much needed clarity to the world of mindfulness and talks you through the practice step by step. Short chapters make it quick and easy to read and perfect to refer back to and the language is like speaking to a friend. Definitely one I would recommend for anyone wanting to learn more and interested in giving it a go!
Danielle
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't get a whole lot out of this particular book on mindfulness. That is probably partly my own fault. I really just read it straight through like it was a novel or something. Really it should probably be read in short chunks with time to put into practice what the author is talking about. I'm probably not likely to go back and reread it to do that though.
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Are you plagued by overthinking that eventually leads to depression and even suicidal thoughts? Scared that your life is going nowhere and you're doomed to the darkness forever? Then this is the book for you.

Check out my full review here!

Sasha
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great place to start if you are looking to start your mindfulness journey.
Very short and sweet. It had some great thinking points, like separating from your thoughts and instead feeling the feeling and watching it fade from your body.

Did anyone else notice that many commas were missing? I would have to read some sentences 2 or 3 times because the missing commas changed the context.
Grace
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
A short little read about wellbeing, mindfullness and meditation. It was actually quite a nice little read and was quite interesting but I just felt there wasn't much to it. It really wasn't groundbreaking stuff. Would make a nice little gift for someone who needs to be more mindfull though.
Destiny Bridwell
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I have not done a lot of meditation in the last few months, but using this book was very easy to use and it gave me techinques to use. That makes things simpler.
Carrie
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A very brief and basic introduction to mindfulness and meditation.
Sian Lile-Pastore
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a slight book but a nice quick read. It's kinda basic, but I think that's good sometimes.
Jaime
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
A quick read on mindfulness. It can be helpful and it's just a quick enough read that even if it doesn't change your life for the time you're reading it you won't focus on your worries.

• Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness
  • Human Givens
  • Cloud Busting
  • More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)
  • Light is the New Black: A Guide to Answering Your Soul's Callings and Working Your Light
  • The Modern Break-Up
  • A Secure Base: Parent-Child Attachment and Healthy Human Development
  • This Lovely City
  • The Swimming Pool Season
  • A User's Guide to the Brain: Perception, Attention, and the Four Theaters of the Brain
  • Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall?
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Logging Off