Start by marking “It's Not Supposed to Be This Way Study Guide with DVD: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered” as Want to Read:

Life often looks so very far from the reality we long for. Lysa TerKeurst deeply understands. But she's also discovered that whether we're dealing with daily disappointments or life-altering loss, we can find unexpected strength as we wrestle well between our faith and feelings.

This book offers a safe guide, fresh biblical insight, and life-giving perspectives for living
Paperback
Published November 27th 2018 by Thomas Nelson

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Supposed to Be This Way Study Guide with DVD

Start your review of It's Not Supposed to Be This Way Study Guide with DVD: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
Gena Spearing
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such and encouraging book for all of life’s disappointments. Lysa is extremely vulnerable and honest with her struggles. She points you to the truth. Highly recommend this book!
Jeanie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, my-library
Excellent companion study guide with the video series as well as the book by the same name. I used this with the video study when it was offered through FaithGateway. We are led to look at our own feelings and motives through the direct, yet sensitive questions and suggestions. This level of honesty becomes critical as we wrestle through those things in our lives that weren’t supposed to happen (or in some cases, not happen). Don’t compare or rate the author’s crises on a scale showing they are ...more
PollyAnna Joy
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It felt as though Lysa was living MY life. Wow. It's Not Supposed to be This Way was written exactly for me. I could have written it because I have been going through a lot of the same things Lysa was going through. Our lives seem to be on a parallel track. I appreciate her words, her vunerability, her honesty, and her obedience to the Lord. This book and Bible Study are worth your time.
Jill Pelak
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The book was well written, and thought provoking. Challenged my faith and helped to encourage the growth that I was hoping for. However, the study itself which I did with women at our church, was very overwhelming. Most of us found the study guide (about 60 of us) to be all over the place and hard to follow.
Colette
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started reading when a series of disappointments entered my life and her words hit home. I put the book aside for a few months and came back to it and her words resonated even more with me, helping me build my relationship with God and make decisions I need to live a more graceful life. Thank you Lysa for entering my life with this book at just the right moment.
Elizabeth Knaus
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Insightful and creative encouragement, in the context of Scripture, for all going through disappointments on various levels as well as for those seeking to serve others as an empathetic, compassionate friend.
Sara
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One to read again when needed.
Careful
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healing-divine
Many scriptures to use in the face of strong health and other problems.
Robin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for this time in my life.
Edi McNinch
Study guide for the book. Not necessary if reading the book as a group, but if you do it on your own it's a great reaource.
Laura Green
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me pause and see life through a new lens. I’ve been through a lot of trauma and disappointments and this book gives a new way to viewing our lives!
Kayla Palumbo
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly this is the best book I have ever read. It is emotional and makes you really think about how many blessings we have been given. I also loved how it is read by her.
Judy Cliver
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Bible Study

Attended bible study at my church using the DVD
Very relative and down to earth study Lysa did a good job as expected.
Jennifer Jessop
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This study guide with DVD is the perfect accompaniment for the book, It's Not Supposed to Be This Way. The DVD is the icing on the cake and enhances the reading and workbook experience.
Doris
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely a relatable book when you struggle with disenchantment and disappointment in life...and your walk with God. Uplifting and gave me clarity on some thoughts I’ve had in the past. Not a life-changer, but definitely a thought-changer.
Cynthia Lowell
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Listening as I drive to and from work.
Regina
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chelsie Brown
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It had been awhile since I read something written by Lysa Terkeurst. I had been following her journey the past couple of years and as my heart ached for her, I read this (and recently saw where her and Art renewed their vows) knowing that God has a purpose in her pain. This book is extremely vulnerable and full of the hope we have in Jesus. Anyone walking down a road of disappointment-this is worth reading.
Thita
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering the high rating and how I skimmed most of the book, maybe I’m just not the right audience. It was an impulsive buy and I’m not Christian (so I cannot relate to the Bible), but I feel that the content of the book not to be so helpful in case of hardship. The advices sound a bit “idealistic” yet non-solutional: be good, accept that the hardship is part of the God’s plan (I mean, yeah, maybe, but then it doesn’t help soothing me at all), read the Bible, and go back to the scripture.
Laura N.
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lysa Terkeurst gets real about the struggles and heart-breaking disappointments she has experienced in her own life, which helped me keep my own disappointments in perspective. I found this book to be helpful, practical and encouraging as I struggle to understand God's working through disappointments in my own life. I especially appreciated the Biblical passages and the prayers at the end of each chapter.
Surisaray
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bless her heart, you can feel her pain through the pages, you can feel her desire to encourage the reader to pick up the cross and carry it one step at a time with her, she wants to show compassion for pain because she feels it and understands. Her writing is poetic and beautiful which I appreciate, and what is even more encouraging are the Bible verses she quotes. Note to self: Read during trial times.
Kendle Crider
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read if going through hard times

Such an uplifting message. It’s okay if things don’t go the way you want them to. Lysa wrote words that I have been struggling with for years.
Amanda DeFreece
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. My life, marriage, and career are going through some drastic changes - most unwelcome - and this book helped me put things back into perspective. The author was easy to connect with. I have a waiting line of friends wanting to borrow this book!
Autumn Joseph
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
It might just be because I don’t read self-help books and prefer fantasy, but I couldn’t get myself to finish the book. It was a little too scattered for me and I felt like I was reading someone’s journal entry. She writes well but it just was not my cup of tea.
Elizabeth C Smith
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’ve read some of Lysa’s books and have really enjoyed them! While good truths in this book, it just felt like reading a run on journal. I know this is a super unpopular rating but for me, this didn’t cut it compared to what I expected.
Tricia Canton
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My friend gave me this book as I’m currently enduring a difficult life season, and it was perfect. Lysa transparently shares her hardships and how she’s been able to endure with God. Deeply profound, faith-filled, and full of scriptures. I was so blessed by this book.
Caitlan
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lysa TerKeurst did it again with this book! It's one where you may potentially cry throughout but it's oh so worth it. After each chapter she has verses to reference, questions to journal on and key take aways.
Connie Ellis
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life changing book. Very inspiring

• I Give Up: The Secret Joy of a Surrendered Life
  • I Give Up Study Guide: The Secret Joy of a Surrendered Life
  • When God Doesn't Fix It: Lessons You Never Wanted to Learn, Truths You Can't Live Without
  • Made to Crave Participant's Guide: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food
  • Gideon: Your weakness. God's strength: Member Book
  • Wild and Free: A Hope-Filled Anthem for the Woman Who Feels She is Both Too Much and Never Enough
  • My Life Among the Underdogs: A Memoir
  • I Want My Epidural Back: Adventures in Mediocre Parenting
  • Believing It All: Lessons I Learned from My Children
  • Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up's Guide to Getting over Narcissistic Parents
  • Hosea - Bible Study Book: Unfailing Love Changes Everything
  • Insights on Romans
  • Portraits of Devotion
  • The End of Me: Where Real Life in the Upside-Down Ways of Jesus Begins
  • Little Pink Pup
  • This Is the Day: Reclaim Your Dream. Ignite Your Passion. Live Your Purpose.
  • What Rose Forgot
  • Strands of Truth
Lysa TerKeurst is president of Proverbs 31 Ministries and the New York Times best-selling author of Univited, The Best Yes, Unglued, Made to Crave, and 18 other books. Her newest book, It’s Not Supposed to be This Way, is scheduled for release in November of 2018. Lysa was recently awarded the Champions of Faith Author Award and has been published in multiple publications such as CNN and Fox News ...more