Start by marking “Getting Away With It” as Want to Read:
Getting Away With It

Getting Away With It

Steven Soderbergh and Richard Lester are a generation apart, but theyshare a sense of humour and a passion for cinema. Soderbergh's freshman film, sex, lies and videotape, inaugurated a movementin US independent cinema. Lester's freewheeling work in the '60s and '70s (Help!, A Hard Day's Night, The Knack, How I Won the War, Petulia) helped create a 'new wave' of British fi ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Faber Faber

To ask other readers questions about Getting Away With It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Away With It

Bram
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being unfamiliar with Lester’s work, I sometimes missed the necessary context, but it didn’t lessen my enjoyment much. This is a true hangout book: two craftsmen talking shop. And there are the wonderfully self-depricating diary entries, which are more fun to read as time goes on. It truly captures Soderbergh’s most interesting period, that transition from ‘starting over’ to ‘Out of Sight’. And I wish Faber & Faber would run a whole series like this. I mean, imagine one where Soderbergh sits ...more
Andrew Crouch
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Pleasant enough but far from gripping mix of journal entries and interview segments between acclaimed directors Steven Soderbergh and Richard Lester. The book's time frame of events happens to coincide with a relative lull in Soderbergh's directorial career, just before his turn of the century stardom. His struggles to make and release a number of forgotten (even aborted) small films are passably interesting, but unlikely to enthuse many readers because it's so unlikely they will have seen or ev ...more
Joey Lewandowski
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This is fine. I would have liked it a lot more if I was more familiar with Richard Lester's work (I'm only here for the Superman III stories, of which there aren't many, SADLY). Even though I'm DEEP into Soderbergh's filmography at this point, his diary entries don't come across as particularly interesting here. That's a real bummer because his diary about sex, lies, and videotape is SO GOOD.

Oh well.
Raf Linmans
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cinema, own, on-directors
Cinematic conversations between Steven Soderbergh and Richard Lester, intertwined with a working diary from the first one, just before his big breaktrough with Out of Sight and Erin Brockovic. The book brought me in contact with a couple of (to me) unknown movies from Lester.
Eli
Nov 17, 2010 added it
“Brief, desultory discussion of forthcoming manuscript’s inception, purpose and potential audience. Self-deprecating remark. Amusing anecdote with slightly serious undertone. Awesome display of ego disguised as humility; joke about same. Transparently hollow thanks to contributors and collaborators.” – Steven Soderbergh (from Getting Away with It - Introduction, Part Three – aka Another Note from the Author)

If you are someone who finds the tone of the above author’s note amusing, then run out an
Justin
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Not sure how this book was ever conceived, let alone sold and published. I guess it's an example of an acclaimed Hollywood director with some sway just being able to do something that interests him (and probably only him) and get paid for it, though not much since I can't imagine this book ever sold more than about a thousand copies.

Getting Away With It compiles a series of interviews Soderbergh conducted with the British filmmaker Richard Lester, whose claims to fame include the Beatles propaga
Patrick McCoy

Steven Soderbergh wrote an unusual little book, Getting Away With It, for the British Publishing Company Faber and Faber. It 's probably not for everyone, but if you’re a film fanatic with an appreciation for Soderbergh it should probably be right up your alley. It is a mix of a journal that Soderbergh was writing as he was looking for distribution for his experimental film, Shizopolis, and Spalding Gray’s entertaining monologue film, Gray’s Anatomy. It gives us insight into his producing, writi
Raphael Bernardo
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The main topic is the Richard Lester interviews but the Soderbergh journal entries in between are the best part. It's pretty exciting to see what Soderbergh was up to before he Made Traffic, Oceans 11, 12, 13 and Contagion, how he navigated the large studios, and to watch the as he writes, procrastinates from writing, and deals with problems with the studios. The journal entries start as he's running out of money after living on writing income the last 18 months.
Tony
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The diary entries, written during the production and release of Schizopolis, are as revealing and clever as the film. The interview with director Richard Lester shows Soderbergh's love of film and foreshadow his DVD "interview" commentaries on Catch-22 and even Criterion's Schizopolis disc.
Eric Dahl
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you're a Soderbergh fan, or just enjoy listening to super-intelligent, funny, creative people struggling with the exact same creative fears that any artist does, you'll like this book. Check out the intro if you get a chance, and if you don't think that alone is worth the price of admission, then maybe stay away.
Sean
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being into Soderbergh and having an interest in knowing more about Lester, I enjoyed this book quite a bit. Not having an interest in these two guys would be a fine reason not to read this.

For a longer, far more fascinating review, please go here:
Michael Chaddock
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I love Soderbergh, but have little interest in Richard Lester. There's too much Lester.
Ctkruckus
His footnotes get a little tiresome but Soderbergh is a gift in his interviewing style and his diary entries. Funny, self-effacing, probing and insightful.
Atli Sigurjónsson

• Memento & Following
  • Hit and Run
  • Casablanca: Script and Legend
  • The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy Of A Hollywood Fiasco
  • The Gang That Wouldn't Write Straight: Wolfe, Thompson, Didion, Capote, and the New Journalism Revolution
  • Mad Men Unbuttoned: A Romp Through 1960s America