Start by marking “Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers” as Want to Read:
Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers

Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers

Practice your product design and UX skills. Prepare for your next job interview.

"Redesign the NYC metrocard system. Design a dashboard for a general practitioner. Redesign an ATM".
Learn how to solve and present exercises like these, that top startups use to interview designers for product design and UI/UX roles.

Today top companies are looking for business-minded designers
Published February 7th 2018 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Solving Product Design Exercises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solving Product Design Exercises

Start your review of Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers
Shilpa
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So grateful for this book. When I started to interview as a UX designer, I didn't realize how design challenges would affect my employment chances. Upon realizing, I looked for books that could help me prepare. I saw very few books like "Sprint", etc. However, they were focused on design challenges. My classmate sent me the link to this book and I purchased it immediately.

Everyday, I do one exercise. And although I started these exercises to perform better during job interviews, I now enjoy the
Raffaele Vitale
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is extremely relevant right now, in 2020 So grateful, and even if I'm already in the Design field, it's always good to read and see different prospectives because there's no objective right or wrong.
Highly recommend it!
Anna
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must have book for students, who wants to be Product Designer, UX Designer, or Interaction Designer.
I am a Master student of Human Computer Interaction, when my school gives me a lot of fundamental knowledge of User Experience Design and generally Design Thinking, I don't even have an idea what should I expect during an interview. Since an academia is an academia, but an industry lives its own life. So for me the book is a handbook for tackling on-site and home challenges from companies.
The book
Christie
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! I recently applied for an Interaction Design role at Google and I was asked to complete their design challenge. I didn't know what to expect and a friend of mine recommended this book and I read it from cover to cover and it was a HUGE help! I used Artiom's framework as a way to express my personal design process. It really helped me structure my thoughts and move quickly from the discovery/foundational research phase through to my solution and next steps. It definitely w ...more
GIGLEMIANI Nana
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow I am very surprised and grateful at a time!

Thank you a lot for the priceless resource with very clear and practical framework which can definitely help the junior and mid-career ux/product designers to improve their everyday workflow and when looking for a new position, pass the interview process smoothly.

Good luck for your work and I hope you will provide your colleagues all over the world with more insightful resources.
Tyrone Ko
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome for aspiring and beginning, UX Designers like myself and has changed my perspective of thinking of how I approached my projects. The 5W1H rule is something I will engrain in my head every time I leave my house. I would recommend to anyone who is new to UX Design to read through it, like myself.
Mórocz Ágnes
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux
This book is a must-have one if you have started to search for a job in the UX design field. I am so grateful for this. Last year I started to interview as a UX designer, and when I passed the first round, they tried me in a design challenge because I did not have a portfolio. This book helped me to prepare myself, and in the end, they gave me the job. Thanks, Artiom for this resource.
Shiran
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for UX generalists who wanna sharpen their skills as well as to refine your product discovery process. I used it to refine my designer recruitment process and to create design exercises for candidates who passed my initial interviews. Great book and writing style overall.
Marcelo Ferranti
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ux-design
nothing new, even so interesting
Lewis Ngugi
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every UX, Product and Visual Designer should read this! It's so well structured and Artiom is now my favorite author! Super chilled. ...more
Siddhant Patil
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The framework is well thought out. I practiced a few problems using it and found it to be extremely helpful.
Shoaib Mahmud
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Must read book for every product designer. It will help you to build a better portfolio. Easy to read.Tons of takeaways. I would love to read it again.
Alon Gildoni
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best book I've encountered so far about effectively hiring UX designers. Its value spans way beyond the hiring phase as it offers comprehensive and schematic guidelines for design processes as a whole. Bonus: I find this book also quite useful for Product Management thought leadership and effective hiring not only of designers but also of PMs. Great insights. Good read. ...more
Rebecca Chaika
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend! As a seasoned designer this book was a game changer in helping provide a structure and approach to problem solving. I used this book to help me successfully interview with a big tech company to get a senior position. I’ll be using this book to reference throughout the future of my career.
عبدالله كمال
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux
Very insightful!
JJ
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A Must read if you're a new designer and want to break into Product Design! ...more
Pan Pan
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a UX designer who is preparing for interviews. I found this book is so helpful that I only used 2 days to finish reading it lolol I am more clear about how and what should I think of while being interviewed, thank you Artiom!
Toni Zhang
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is very helpful for junior UI/UX and product designers to prepare job interviews and to enrich their portfolio. It has helped me build my portfolio and win offers with zero work experience. I see some people call it a "fast read", and I think that's probably why they find it not as good as they expected. For most of us, it's difficult to remember a book when we have read only one time quickly and never open it again. And if you don't practice a single task listed in this book or elsewh ...more
Arun Subramanian
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My foray into user experience and product design. This book got me to seriously consider user experience for a career. Very clear ideas as to how to solve product design exercise. I'm building my own portfolio based on his ideas. ...more
Dhruv
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a decent short preparatory crash-course for people planning to get into product design. Some of the exercises are good (like the healtcare app) and the UI designs should come in handy for optimizing your future front-end designs. There is a brief chapter on 'How to interview a candidate', which is a bit vague. I do not see experienced Product Designers gaining much from this book. ...more
Hanna Soloman
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Found this to be an incredibly useful and concise guide to what is expected from product designers in various interview scenarios, especially the framework for design exercises and suggested time frames, would definitely recommend it.

Kim
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Great book to keep around for interviews and WDC. Started reading it in preparation for some challenges and understood a better approach to design problems. Will periodically reference information from this book in the future!
Micah
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the right knowledge you need for refining your product design mind bunched together for easy access.
M
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read and to keep referencing. It has helped me approach these exercises in job interviews.
Tushar Gupta
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book
Natalía Papadopoúlou
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
Didn’t exactly read it through, more like skimmed it. It’s a book that puts things in perspective for product designers that go through interviews that involve solving problems to illustrate their skills. The steps behind it are the steps you could have gone through when actually designing a product (who are you designing for, thinking of what impact that has for your client etc) which made a lot of sense. Would have been super useful to my past self :) If you are a junior/medior designer and ap ...more
Ivan Lam
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recommend getting this book if you're new to product design exercises and are looking to apply for jobs with a related role (product designer, UX designer, etc.). While this is not the only way to solve exercises, it has a pretty good process and framework to start off with, and guides you almost step-by-step. There were also plenty of example prompts.

It's one of those books where you'll have to go back to review/refresh your memory, so I would say it's worth the money.
Nawar Zammam
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I went through this book thinking it was all about examples of UX tests and exercises for interviews only. Boy, I was wrong!
The book covers and ticks all the check-marks preparation for any interview related to this design field, in addition to other design fields as well.

From an intellectual point of view:
The book discusses a significantly important point when it comes to design interviews for both, the interviewers, and the applicants which can really be helpful for both parties. It clears the
Orakarn
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was ok
For my perspective, the price is quite higher than the value of the book. Its kinda shortcut for interview. Anyway, thats good for anyone who want to win for their first-job- interview but there is no deeper practical way of design thinking in the real world.
Mikhail Filatov
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It's more like an extended blog posts with several exercises diluted with other stuff to make it 100+ pages. Author bragging about being a Design Lead at WeWork sounds funny nowadays. :)

• Refactoring UI
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Just Enough Research
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • Atomic Design
  • The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide
  • User Friendly: How the Hidden Rules of Design Are Changing the Way We Live, Work, and Play
  • Thinking with Type
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Laws of UX: Design Principles for Persuasive and Ethical Products
  • Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want
  • Design Systems Handbook
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Artiom Dashinsky is a product designer and entrepreneur based in Tel Aviv and Berlin. During his career, Artiom led the design of multiple products at startups, co-founded a tech startup, and managed an agency.

For the last few years, Artiom has been working on his own digital, physical, and content products. His products are used by tens of thousands of professionals working at companies like Goog

News & Interviews