Start by marking “Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers” as Want to Read:
Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers

Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers

Practice your product design and UX skills. Prepare for your next job interview.

"Redesign the NYC metrocard system. Design a dashboard for a general practitioner. Redesign an ATM".
Learn how to solve and present exercises like these, that top startups use to interview designers for product design and UI/UX roles.

Today top companies are looking for business-minded designers
Published February 7th 2018 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Solving Product Design Exercises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solving Product Design Exercises

Start your review of Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers
Shilpa
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So grateful for this book. When I started to interview as a UX designer, I didn't realize how design challenges would affect my employment chances. Upon realizing, I looked for books that could help me prepare. I saw very few books like "Sprint", etc. However, they were focused on design challenges. My classmate sent me the link to this book and I purchased it immediately.

Everyday, I do one exercise. And although I started these exercises to perform better during job interviews, I now enjoy the
Raffaele Vitale
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is extremely relevant right now, in 2020 So grateful, and even if I'm already in the Design field, it's always good to read and see different prospectives because there's no objective right or wrong.
Highly recommend it!
Anna
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must have book for students, who wants to be Product Designer, UX Designer, or Interaction Designer.
I am a Master student of Human Computer Interaction, when my school gives me a lot of fundamental knowledge of User Experience Design and generally Design Thinking, I don't even have an idea what should I expect during an interview. Since an academia is an academia, but an industry lives its own life. So for me the book is a handbook for tackling on-site and home challenges from companies.
The book
Christie
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! I recently applied for an Interaction Design role at Google and I was asked to complete their design challenge. I didn't know what to expect and a friend of mine recommended this book and I read it from cover to cover and it was a HUGE help! I used Artiom's framework as a way to express my personal design process. It really helped me structure my thoughts and move quickly from the discovery/foundational research phase through to my solution and next steps. It definitely w ...more
Tyrone Ko
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome for aspiring and beginning, UX Designers like myself and has changed my perspective of thinking of how I approached my projects. The 5W1H rule is something I will engrain in my head every time I leave my house. I would recommend to anyone who is new to UX Design to read through it, like myself.
Shiran
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for UX generalists who wanna sharpen their skills as well as to refine your product discovery process. I used it to refine my designer recruitment process and to create design exercises for candidates who passed my initial interviews. Great book and writing style overall.
Marcelo Ferranti
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ux-design
nothing new, even so interesting
Lewis Kang'ethe Ngugi
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every UX, Product and Visual Designer should read this! It's so well structured and Artiom is now my favorite author! Super chilled.
Mórocz Ágnes
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux
This book is a must-have one if you have started to search for a job in the UX design field. I am so grateful for this. Last year I started to interview as a UX designer, and when I passed the first round, they tried me in a design challenge because I did not have a portfolio. This book helped me to prepare myself, and in the end, they gave me the job. Thanks, Artiom for this resource.
Dhruv
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a decent short preparatory crash-course for people planning to get into product design. Some of the exercises are good (like the healtcare app) and the UI designs should come in handy for optimizing your future front-end designs. There is a brief chapter on 'How to interview a candidate', which is a bit vague. I do not see experienced Product Designers gaining much from this book.
Kim
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book to keep around for interviews and WDC. Started reading it in preparation for some challenges and understood a better approach to design problems. Will periodically reference information from this book in the future!
Micah
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the right knowledge you need for refining your product design mind bunched together for easy access.
M
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read and to keep referencing. It has helped me approach these exercises in job interviews.
Tushar Gupta
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book
Natalía Papadopoúlou
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
Didn’t exactly read it through, more like skimmed it. It’s a book that puts things in perspective for product designers that go through interviews that involve solving problems to illustrate their skills. The steps behind it are the steps you could have gone through when actually designing a product (who are you designing for, thinking of what impact that has for your client etc) which made a lot of sense. Would have been super useful to my past self :) If you are a junior/medior designer and ap ...more
Ivan Lam
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recommend getting this book if you're new to product design exercises and are looking to apply for jobs with a related role (product designer, UX designer, etc.). While this is not the only way to solve exercises, it has a pretty good process and framework to start off with, and guides you almost step-by-step. There were also plenty of example prompts.

It's one of those books where you'll have to go back to review/refresh your memory, so I would say it's worth the money.
Hanna Soloman
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Found this to be an incredibly useful and concise guide to what is expected from product designers in various interview scenarios, especially the framework for design exercises and suggested time frames, would definitely recommend it.

Siddhant Patil
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The framework is well thought out. I practiced a few problems using it and found it to be extremely helpful.
Mikhail Filatov
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It's more like an extended blog posts with several exercises diluted with other stuff to make it 100+ pages. Author bragging about being a Design Lead at WeWork sounds funny nowadays. :)
Khue Dinh
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Concise and practical book.
Udoka Chima
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Designers
This book changed my life. Before I read it the design process felt mysterious. A lot of designers at the time tended to obscure their process which made it made it really hard for me to practice for design exercises. This book really turned the lights on and gave me a framework to follow regardless of what exercise was used at the on-site interview. It helped me get my role at Zillow.
Hey

• Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Refactoring UI
  • Design thinking handbook
  • Design Systems Handbook
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Atomic Design
  • Thinking with Type
  • UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want
  • Mapping Experiences: A Complete Guide to Creating Value Through Journeys, Blueprints, and Diagrams
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products