Start by marking “Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)” as Want to Read:
Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)

Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze #3)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In this rich new mystery, Dale Furutani brings back Matsuyama Kaze, a wandering samurai searching for the missing daughter of his murdered lord. Clues lead Kaze to the new capital of 17th-century Japan, Edo, where the girl has been sold into child prostitution. While Kaze seeks to save the child, he is himself the subject of a manhunt, believed to be a hired assassin out t ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Kill the Shogun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill the Shogun

Shadowdenizen
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent conclusion to an enjoyable series!
I would absolutely read further books from this author.
Nugraha
Karakter Ksatria Samurai
Oleh: Nugraha Hidayat

“Akan kuajarkan padamu hal yang paling utama yang bisa kau pelajari dalam pertarungan,”kata sensei. “Jika kau tak bisa menundukkan dirimu sendiri, kau takkan bisa menundukkan orang lain.. Kalau kau bertarung dengan amarah, frustasi, atau kesombongan, kau tidak akan bisa menang. Kau harus bertarung dari ketiadaan, membiarkan pedangmu mencari jalannya sendiri. Kalau kau biarkan emosi menguasaimu dalam pertarungan, meski kau bisa menaklukkan musuhmu, kau
Qudwatu Nabila
Walaupun tampaknya setiap seri bisa dibaca secara terpisah, tetap saja buku ketiga ini menjadi "pelengkap puzzle" kisah Matsuyama Kaze. Dengan akhir cerita yang mengejutkan walau bisa ditebak sebelumnya, aku menikmati betul membaca tentang sepak terjang ronin yang satu ini.

Menurutku, sangat luar biasa ketika seorang penulis dapat menyampaikan kisah sejarah secara akurat, baik dari segi tempat, waktu, maupun suasana. Inilah yang dilakukan Dale Furutani. Lebih jauh lagi, dia bahkan menghadirkan so
FicusFan
Ari Koehara
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku pertama yang saya lahap (kelaparan?) sampai habis yaitu novel terjemahan Jepang yang berjudul "Pembunuhan sang Shogun" karangan Dale Furutani. Buku setebal 380 halaman berkisah tentang Matsuyama Kaze, seorang ronin yang berkeliling Edo untuk mencari putri tuannya yang menghilang. Namun siapa sangka kehebatannya menjadi kambing hitam atas percobaan pembunuhan Tokugawa Leyasu, shogun yang berkuasa saat itu.

Kaze pun melakukan penyamaran dari satu tempat ke tempat lain sekitar Edo untuk menghin
Natalie Petchnikow
Fidèle à la promesse faite à ses anciens maîtres, le samouraï Matsuyama Kaze poursuit inlassablement sa quête pour retrouver leur fille. Toutes les pistes semblent converger vers la ville d'Edo, où le nouveau shogun Ieyasu a choisi d'établir son pouvoir. Entouré d'ennemis, Tokugawa Ieyasu échappe de peu à un attentat et Matsuyama Kaze, à peine arrivé en ville, est injustement accusé d'en être l'auteur. Pour espérer retrouver enfin celle qu'il cherche, le rônin devra d'abord se disculper et confo ...more
Phil
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of samurai stories, mystery fans
This one was really fun. I'm not big on mysteries, but I enjoyed it anyway. It reminded me of Akira Kurosawa's movie Yojimbo; the main characters seemed to have a lot in common. There are lots of details about life in Edo in the early 1600's. I don't know if they were all exactly accurate, but they lend the book a feel of authenticity, which makes it more enjoyable.
Diana Sandberg
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I very much like this series; I so wish there had been more than three volumes. The main character is engrossing and believable, and his story deeply engaging. I am by no means an expert on the period, but the story certainly felt realistic. I did not get the feeling I was following a modern guy around 17th century Japan. Beautifully crafted work.
Craig
Mar 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I didn't enjoy this one as much as "Death at the Crossroads" - the somewhat more complex plot didn't seem to fit the hero and setting quite as well as the other. But I still recommend it highly, esp. to those who've read the others in the series.
Ray
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this short little trilogy; Death at the Crossroads, Jade Palace Vendetta and Kill the Shogun.
Mutsuyama Kaze is the Jason Bourne of 1700 century feudal Japan. I give Kill the Shogun a 3+ as a fit conclusion.
Timothy
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best samurai series I've read. It's like Akira Kurosawa on print; with a great balance of an interesting character and Japanese culture. I'm hoping that there might be more in the future.
Ray
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Yet another good story. It got somewhat fantastical at some points. But the excellent ending made it worth it.
Tiffany
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, japan
All three of these were wonderful but this one had poignancy on its side as well. Left me with a huge lump in my throat that would not go away for weeks.

Curtis
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series! Great characters, interesting history and background. Very good mystery series.
Suguh kurniawan
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
baru juga mulai baca....lanjutan Kaze 1 & 2
...::putri::...
Kaze --> adoreable !
Thaarchitect
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like Matsuyama. Clever, honorable, considered and enigmatic. Feudal Japan has always interested me and the mystery genre seems to fit nicely in the world Furutani has crafted.
Alex
Feb 20, 2008 marked it as to-read
Thanks, Joel
Thomas Tsuneta
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good read that transports you to feudal Japan and the beginning of the Tokugawa Shogunate. I really enjoyed the references to the beginning of Kabuki theater as well.
David H. McKillop
May 23, 2014
Harry Weisbaum
Jul 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Rashomon Gate (Sugawara Akitada, #2)
  • Slicky Boys (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #2)
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • Honeymoon to Nowhere
  • The Greatest Design: Menguak Misteri Arkeologi Terbesar Tiga Agama
  • The Red Pavilion
  • The House of Death (Alexander The Great Mysteries #1)
  • SPQR XIII: The Year of Confusion (SPQR, #13)
  • The Fire Kimono (Sano Ichiro, #13)
  • The Tokaido Road
  • The Cincinnati Red Stalkings
  • Mad Hatter's Holiday
  • Year of the Hyenas (Semerket, #1)
Dale Furutani's first novel, Death in Little Tokyo, was nominated for an Agatha Award, and won Anthony and Macavity Awards for best first mystery. He lives in Los Angeles.

Series:
* Ken Tanaka
* Matsuyama Kaze
More about Dale Furutani...

Matsuyama Kaze (3 books)
  • Death at the Crossroads (Matsuyama Kaze, #1)
  • Jade Palace Vendetta (Matsuyama Kaze, #2)