Start by marking “Deceptions (Ascendant, #3)” as Want to Read:
Deceptions (Ascendant, #3)

Deceptions

(Ascendant #3)

Koren Bladewell now knows he is a wizard, but he is lost in the wilderness, cut off from help and unable to use his powers. The enemy is poised at the border with an overwhelming invasion force, and it will take wizards, soldiers and a young, untested princess to hold off defeat long enough for Koren to be trained and grow into his power. But he might not wish to help thos ...more
Published January 1st 2018

Kian
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
WHAT? WTF? i don't have enough energy to state how many things i found disappointing in this series.
Tanya Low
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aaaahhh, I loved it! What a fun series, I felt a lot of frustration through the first two books but in the end two thumbs up! Great for younger readers, too, like voracious preteens that need challenging books and enjoy fantasy!
Noura Noman
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Books 1 and 2 were good stories leading to this culmination in Deceptions. While I liked book 3, I think it may have done with less sailing details and less beating of many topics to death. The continued explanations of and repetitions of certain aspects was slightly insulting to the reader. But perhaps the author had his reasons.
Shonari
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was a disappointment. The author lost the plot about halfway into book two. Storylines were rushed, character development was stunted and timelines just didn't make sense. It's like the author got tired of the series and just scraped book 3 together just to get it over with.
Wynne McLaughlin
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Huh. This trope-filled coming of age fantasy trilogy turned out to be kind of amazing. Book one was fun, but predictable, and I gave it three stars. Book two surprised me, and I grudgingly gave it four stars, elevating it to "guilty pleasure" status. But couldn't stop reading, and dove right into book three. Wow, what a satisfying wrap-up! Five stars and added to favorites. A worthy YA fantasy trilogy with engaging characters and misunderstood teen "chosen ones." If I read this as a teenager thi ...more
Lorna Moylan
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very entertaining end to the trilogy,some areas seemed a little too long of a build up,some typos hair and there,but I'd highly recommend it and the two books in the trilogy,I loved every minute of Koren and Ariana's adventures

I enjoyed reading this book very much .It's a clever ending to an extremely entertaining trilogy,although there were some typos and at times an odd area seemed to go on slightly longer than needed .I particularly liked the way the author slipped seamlessly from one chara
Stephen
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A decent conclusion to the series. There were a lot of convenient coincidences that aren't really explained, except by a character suddenly stating something that is then accepted by the characters as fact, but without a solid foundation.

It was an enjoyable read/listen. The kindle version was full of typos and small continuity errors that I've come to expect from Alanson, but like with his Expeditionary Force series it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the series. That enjoyment was d
Daddy_o
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
If this story would have ended differently, I would have given this book a 1. This was more like a lead into a more indepth story. I felt like there were so many paths that we never went down and so many twists that we never explored. Good story, but the villain could have been bigger and badder. I would have also liked more min-adventures the young man's journey that would have added layers. Good story, but very thin. Perhaps it was meant for a younger audience. Were I a YA I can see giving thi ...more
Andy
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay ending to a great series.

I will say that for how great the series was, the ending less than stellar. I loved this series and so when I was 85% through this book and Koren still had received no training I got excited to know there’d be a fourth book coming. But, it was not to be. The abrupt, lackluster conclusion just was not a fitting end to the story. No intense battle, no build up for an exciting finale.

The end wraps up into a nice package with a pretty little bow and everyone’s happy. Ex
Abhijeet Basu
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a finale!! I will be honest. The first two books were a drag. Especially Book 2. The only reason I read them was because Craig's other series, Expeditionary Force, of which I am a huge fan.

However, things get very different in this one! Finally all that boredom inducing passages in the previous books make some sense. The pace of the story is fast and the attention grabbers are everywhere! all in all an excellent finale' to the series. Wish there was book 4!
Ralph Trickey
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stuart Cliffe
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All is resolved

I had some reservations about the first two books in this series when no matter what happened *everyone* jumped to the wrong conclusions. Never had the wrong end of so many sticks been so firmly grasped by so many characters worth so little reason. This book does a fair job of explaining all of that and getting everyone back on the same page. Pun definitely intended...
Andrus
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Craig Alanson, and I love his sci-fi series. For me this book, as great of a page turner as it is, was very anti-climactic. It's like if Tolkien had had Frodo just walk up to Mordor and drop the ring in the lava without needing Sam to carry him, without having Gollum attack him, and without him fighting temptation. I hope that this series does get a new story arc, and that Alanson is much more indulgent of the magic lovers in his audience.
Michael Jozwik
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trilogy is good and a very enjoyable light read. I got through the trilogy in about a week. There is not a tremendous amount of depth, but the story is solid. Some characters, that I thought were going to be main characters, just seem to vanish (eg the mother regent). I really thought we could get some good daughter-mother conflict there. Otherwise, I really liked the series. I look forward to spin-off books or series that might happen.
Mike Goodman
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hurt So Good

This story of the farm boy that saves a princess and gets nothing is a great read. His big reward of being a palace servant who is lied too repeatedly about his powers. I was pissed with the senseless murder of a great character after the good guys victory. The ending was a tad rushed.
Muff
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This trilogy doesn't break new ground in the arena of the fantasy novel. BUT the characters are appealing, and the strong female characters are welcome. The audiobook is read by a master. I'd listen to any thing TGR reads. Recommended to listeners who want a great reader and a story that doesn't disappoint
Joe Hansen
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the last year or so, Mr. Allanson has become one of my favorite authors. I have read every one of his books with the exception of the one I bought on audible last nigh. In the print of this, the story is as awesome as is expected however there are some proof reading issues that could have easily been seen by a good beta reader or proof reader. Editors get on your game, you let this one down
Brooke McCoy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok this book felt like walking through cement. Yes it all resolved itself but I’m super ticked how he treated and left hanging two key characters. Yo Alanson, call me before your next rewrite so I can review it and make some changes ;)

Very clean book. Fine for kids but bothered me at end one part .
J.
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful end to the trilogy

I was wary of yet another wizardry, fairy princess tale. However, I really enjoyed this trilogy. The story is rich and unique. The author keeps you interested and invested. This third book brought the story to a valiant and noble end, where good wins over evil . The characters are believable and each of their stories have an end as well.
Katie Jones
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a good book, but I had a hard time following everything. The first top books felt slower paced and really filled in every detail of every event. And then this one felt really fast. There were so many things that happened and I felt like the scenes kept jumping around. I had a hard time following at points but I still enjoyed it.
Timothy Sutton
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Breath taking and Amazing

I learned of the Accendant series after reading the Expeditionary Forces series. I must say this has to be the best series I have ever read. I will even go to the point of saying it has truley replaced Harry Potter, Iron Druid Chronicles, and even The Dresden files as my favorite book series.
Dragan Gaić
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I adore Craig Alanson books, however, this series looks like it was written by a child for other children; such a huge waste of time. While the first book was fun and interesting; this one is plain boring.

Characters are two dimensional; the story is laughable; in the end, it looks like the author was sick of this story finishing it just so he can go on with his life.
K.J.
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic, suspenseful, climactic finish to the series! I've already recommended it to friends and on social media. This is a great series. It has elements that remind me of a Tolkien or Rowling story. I listened to the series on Audible and was pleased with the narrator.
Highly recommend this series!
Samantha Boyd
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good ending

I enjoyed this book but it was really hard to read at times. This series is really interesting and keeps you turning the page to reach the end. Def worth reading all three
Nigel Frankcom
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rewarding series

I picked up the first book in the series somewhat speculatively and discovered a true gem. Eminently readable with a rich cast and characters that will become your friends and heroes (and villains).
Tracey Mccall
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Must read

Such an amazing series. Skillfully written allowing the reader to take the journey with amazing characters. I hope you read this short review and start reading this series. I hope you love it as much as I have.
Please write more
Moriah
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great conclusion But a bit rushed

The ending left me wanting more but satisfied enough to wait as long as the author needs. However, the last half of the book seemed super rushed and I wish the author had spent more pages delving into things.
Craig Williams
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It did feel on occasion that it was a little drawn out but overall it was a good listen. I'm not sure where all the hate for the ending is coming from as i couldn't see it ending another way.
Karsa Orlong
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

I would recommend this series. Not many errors, a good coming of age story about a boy who saves a princess and that princess struggles to lead her kingdom. Loveable characters and a few you will hate. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
Seth
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good story

This was a very good story. It seems like this is the end of it even though this is a very well developed world, with great characters. Sad to see and ending, but it was well done.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Pen and the Sword (Destiny's Crucible #2)
  • Extreme Food
  • Lodestar (Firestar, #3)
  • The Wound of the World (The Cycle of Galand #3)
  • The Right to Arm Bears (Threadbare #3)
  • Fear the Survivors (The Fear Saga, #2)
  • Knights Magi (The Spellmonger, #4)
  • The Diet Trap Solution: Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good
  • Shadowborn (Seraphim, #3)
  • Shadow and Flame (Ascendant Kingdoms, #4)
  • Pacific Fire (Daniel Blackland, #2)
  • Future Threat (Future Shock, #2)
  • Mordecai (The Riven Gates, #1)
  • In the Region of the Summer Stars (Eirlandia, #1)

Ascendant (3 books)
  • Ascendant (Ascendant, #1)
  • Transcendent (Ascendant, #2)