Start by marking “Good-Bye, Chunky Rice” as Want to Read:
Good-Bye, Chunky Rice

Good-Bye, Chunky Rice

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  7,403 Ratings  ·  536 Reviews
This here be the first ever "graphical novel book" by Craig Thompson. It was winnning a Harvey Award, no less. It documentates the once upon a time in our fishing village town and a short turtle lad name of Chunky, last name Rice.

Mister Chunky Rice be living in the same rooming house likewise myself, only that boy be restless. Looking for something. And he puts hisself on
Published May 9th 2006 by Pantheon Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Good-Bye, Chunky Rice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good-Bye, Chunky Rice

Pramod Nair
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
When you take a look at ‘Good-bye, Chunky Rice’ with it’s almost comical style of illustrations and cute, talking animal characters, for the first time, you will be almost duped into believing that this is a children’s book and give it a pass; this nearly happened for me. After reading through a few pages, I was so engrossed in this tale of friendship, loss and longing for lost companions in life, that I sat still for a long time after finishing the book contemplating and choking over emotions t ...more
Archit Ojha
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Graphic Novel of the Decade

I read this book with a music in my mind. Those musical notes were melancholic and were not from an earphone bud. Rather, it was from the plucked strings of my aching heart that vibrated with each stroke of the strip drawn by Craig Thompson.

Good-Bye, Chunky Rice, was written in the year 1999 as the first work of Craig Thompson which won him the Harvey Award for Best New Talent.

I read the last page and sat for a long time contemplating the transience of all. Friendship
Jan Philipzig
I have mixed feelings about Craig Thompson's debut graphic novel, winner of the 2000 Harvey Award for Best New Talent. On the one hand, the plot is very slim: tiny turtle-boy with huge bug eyes hardly says a word but inexplicably decides to leave his hometown, only to be treated as a punching bag by the people he encounters. Nothing to write home about. On the other hand, it is already obvious that Craig Thompson is a very gifted cartoonist who knows how to visually engage the reader. In the wor ...more
Christopher

This is Chunky Rice. He is a turtle, which means he carries his home on his back. He is meant to travel the world.

This is Dandel, the deer mouse who loves and is loved by Chunky Rice. But Chunky will be leaving soon, which causes both of them pain.

The relationship between Chunky and Dandel is not the only precious one in this book. There is also Solomon, the lonesome, elementary-tongued bachelor who nurses a bird named Merle back to health after his wing feathers are mysteriously chewed off. And
Amy
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
You know that feeling when you see something for the first time, and it perfectly defines an undefinable emotion? Like the first time you heard Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky?"

Same thing here. This book manages to completely encapsulate that raw loss---of friends, of family, of innocence, of whatever while going to seek your fortune. I don't want to sound corny, but it's like an elegy to what you leave behind in order to get to your future.

Annelies
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A book full of tenderness, of loving and saying goodbye.
Martin Earl
Aug 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Hm. Where to begin. let's start with the good.

Solomon's dialect. This is the only thing giving the book any sense of place. As no place is ever mentioned except the fictional Kahootney Islands, it was nice to have an anchor, even if it was only a gulf-coast/Louisiana accent that did it. Solomon's dialect also made him one of the more endearing characters, in my opinion. Also, the book is well drawn. While I find some of the transitions and juxtapositions gimmicky, it was overall good in that res
Malapata
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
¿Puede ser lo más deprimente que he leído nunca? Si no, debe estar entre los cinco primeros.
Está bien porque realmente te hace efecto, pero salvo que queráis empeorar vuestro ánimo un rato os lo podéis ahorrar.
Sep 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
As good as Blankets but in a different way. I'm interested in how Thompson deals with "disability," and this book addresses it in even more direct ways than Blankets. About a turtle improbably named Chunky Rice, who is perhaps even more improbably best friends with a mouse named Dandle. Chunky Rice moves away from his home and away from Dandle, meeting a crew of what should be misfits on the boat that takes him far away from his friend. Unexpectedly, the book ends up being a really profound expl ...more
Ewan
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This felt under-developed to me. We don't really see enough of Chunky and Dandel's relationship to really feel the sense of it ending. People ask Chunky why he's leaving, and he always just says 'I don't know'; well, maybe if we knew why he had to leave, we'd have felt sympathy for him having to leave his best friend, but we don't, so I just wondered whether he really needed to go at all; I couldn't feel sorry for him if it didn't seem necessary for him to go.

Another thing; if you're going to pu
Jyotsna Hariharan
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Given to me as a going away present by shamelessly emotionally manipulative friends, whose goal was clearly to make me bawl like a baby and turn me into a blubbering wreck. Well, mission fucking accomplished.

Every page of this book is heartbreaking and filled with loss, drowning and the sounds of the ocean. Such simple storytelling style and barely any dialogue, but you're holding your breath for everyone to just be okay. My only complaint is my strong belief, that there should've been at least
Larnacouer  de SH
Sep 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
We built an entire world!

Öncelikle Craig, o nasıl bir font? Kör olayazdım okurken. Gözlerimi inanılmaz yordu, algı sorunu yaşadım resmen bu nedenle tek oturuşta okunacak bir kitap olmasına rağmen günlerce süründürdüm.

Benim için tam olarak Good-bye, Craig Thompson oldu ya, hayırlısı.
Dimitris
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Harvey Award. This one won a Harvey Award.

And because of that, and some other nominated shit, I'm pretty much convinced anything can win a Harvey fucking Award. Draw a cute fucking animal on a piece of paper and you got it.

Ugh....

Ok.

Good Artwork (at times) Like the cute little animals.
Bad artwork... The humans in it are not the best to look at. They look like fuckin graffiti quick sprayed on walls.. Oh well.. personally not my thing. Ugly.

The story is mediocre at best overall, but it really s
Dan
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
really mediocre and slightly annoying.
Mitchell
No. Not the characters or the art or the writing. Or the story, what there was of it. And what there was of it was basically a downer. No great insight, no small insight. And yet it won an award and people apparently like it. Clearly I'm missing something.
Nix Kinney
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I think it's through my own ignorance that I assume I won't enjoy graphic novels. It's easy to feel like a better, more mature reader when there are, at least, an absence of pictures. However, sometimes it's because of these predispositions that we find ourselves so pleasantly surprised to find out how very wrong we were.

My cousin gifted this book to me on my most rest visit to her and I brought it home with a begrudging disinterest. However, there was a curious tug in my heart that knew she had
Christian Yates
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What makes "Good-bye, Chunky Rice" such a great book--what makes all of Craig Thompson's books great, for that matter--is how relatable it is.

The story follows Chunky Rice, a turtle who is leaving home. Most of us have moved to other places in our lives and lost friends, or we've had friends move away. In the days before social networking, these departures could mean good-bye forever. Thompson turns an unlikely journey featuring talking animals into something emotional powerful and poignant. I h
Daryl
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I found a couple of obstacles to get past with this graphic novel. First was the art. I was a bit put off by it at the start. Thompson uses a very cartoony style here, and it makes his characters almost caricatures at times. But it works. And occasionally the reader will come upon a large picture, full page or nearly, which is stunning in its beauty and detail. Secondly, the dialogue. Some of the characters talk in such a dialect that it's hard to make sense of at first glance. But it really jus ...more
Beatrix Minkov
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sadly, I didn't enjoy this one as much as I hoped to. The art felt chaotic and the story was all over the place. I didn't care for the characters or the story at all. And the only reason why I am giving this 2 stars is because the two main characters look so freaking adorable! That's a pretty lame argumentation, eh? ;)

Anyway, I will give Craig Thompson a second chance. I am really looking forward to check out Habibi & Blankets. And hopefully I will enjoy them more :).
Rebecca McNutt
I found this book rather confusing to follow but excellent nonetheless. Every character, from Chunky Rice himself to the people he meets in his travels, are all loveable and memorable. The book is in black and white graphic novel format, beautifully detailed with vivid text and a tragic at first but ultimately amazing story of friendship, love, imagination and adventure.
Ray
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
A poignant comic about loss. Told through the eyes of a turtle and a deer mouse with eyes to large and adorable for her own good. When one says goodbye there is a separation, from that separation a boundless emptiness and sadness forms. People missing people. Turtle misses a mouse misses a turtle. Instead of saying goodbye I'll say see you soon.
Shauna
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
So this is about leaving (and being left), and longing. I get that. I've done the leaving and longing thing, a few times, in fact. Despite that, I didn't really connect with much in this story. Maybe if I knew why Chunky was leaving (or if Chunky even knew why he was leaving--the not-knowing I can understand to some extent, but it was so glossed over that it seemed careless). Or maybe if I had more backstory on him and Dandel. Or maybe if there weren't a bunch of quirky characters I don't care a ...more
Sooraya Evans
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
A well drawn book about the relationship between Chunky, a male turtle and Dandel, a female mousedeer. I'm not sure whether they had a fall out or something, but Chunky leaves for some reason. Right up to the end, I honestly didn't get what this book was all about.
Throw in a bunch of other quirky supporting characters, things get more confusing. I don't see the point.
In addition to weird words like 'assistacize', passengerize and others; I had a hard time trying to figure out Solomon's dialect,
Przemek Skoczyński
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Dawno nie czytałem czegoś tak banalnego i denerwującego. Nie pierwszy raz Thompson broni się fajną kreską, a wykłada na fabule. Do tego tłumaczenie, z tym niby slangiem, drażni jak mało co. Nie wiem dla kogo ten komiks, więc nie polecam nikomu.
Jeimy
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a weird book to review. When I started reading it felt disjointed and I wanted to quit, but every so often Thompson would add a lovely scene that made me want to continue reading. When I finished I realized it is a simple paean to love in its various forms.
Bored to Death book club
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Craig Thompson apparently wrote a book for children. It is also for children. But it appeals more to grown-ups, because it spans life, simply, all ages.

In a small provincial town, Chunky Rice, the turtle, leaves his best friend deermouse Dandel back home, while setting out on the sea to see the world, destination: the Kahootney islands. His kindhearted and feeble-minded neighbor Solomon shows him a little bird (Merle) whom he found injured, then helps Chunky with the boxes down to the harbor to
Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
পড়তে নিয়ে পরথমে ঠিক বুঝতে পারছিলাম না হচছে টা কী!

যদিও পরবরতীতে বুঝতে পেরেছি কি হচছে। কাহিনী সংকষেপ কিছুটা এমন- (view spoiler)
Andy
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
Several moments of this book are excellent, bordering on extraordinary, yet others don't work, possibly due to lack of character detail. I want to revisit this in a few months and see if I feel more or less connected to the book.
Jordan
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Craig Thompson’s first graphic novel, Good-Bye, Chunky Rice is dedicated to his friends back in Milwaukie, Wisconsin. See, he grew up there and then decided to move to Portland, Oregon. No doubt it’s tough to leave the only place you’ve ever known, for the unknown. Saying goodbye is hard, especially to that special someone who makes you question if this is for the best in the first place. And that’s what the story of Chunky Rice is all about.

Chunky Rice is a cute little boy turtle, and he’s lea
Ashleigh
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Craig Thompson. His style of drawing just draws me into his stories. In this Novel, we meet a mouse and a tortoise/turtle (not sure which). Chunky Rice (the turtle) has big dreams and wants to move away from where he currently lives. He makes travel arrangements & goes on a boat ride. Its a cute simple storyline with nice characters, I particularly enjoyed the depth & insight that came from the mouse. Craig Thompson writes about friendship in such a relatable way that as readers w ...more
  • Unlikely
  • Swallow Me Whole
  • Jar of Fools
  • The Playboy
  • Caricature
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
Craig Ringwalt Thompson (b. September 21, 1975 in Traverse City, Michigan) is a graphic novelist best known for his 2003 work Blankets. Thompson has received four Harvey Awards, two Eisner Awards, and two Ignatz Awards. In 2007, his cover design for the Menomena album Friend and Foe received a Grammy nomination for Best Recording Package.

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
  • Three Times Lucky
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
“and yet I feel that the most real home I'll ever have is the space where our roads merged and traveled along together... for a time.” 58 likes
“I love the sea because it is boundless.” 13 likes