Start by marking “Logic Beach: Part I” as Want to Read:
Logic Beach: Part I

Logic Beach: Part I

Mathematician Polly Hare is missing. She leaves behind: one cat, one scarf, and a hypergeometric theory of everything with the potential to end physics. Her husband Benjamin is determined to bring her home.
Papers will be read. Cults will be infiltrated. Cats will be petted. Benjamin Hare cannot tie his shoes, but he may well steer the course of human history.

Thousands o
Published November 27th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Logic Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logic Beach

Start your review of Logic Beach: Part I
Abhishek
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s a good read, no doubt. It builds on one of my favourite Exurb1a videos, “Humanity: Good Ending” with the concept of the Etherea being expanded upon. Did a good job of grabbing my attention with the writing style in the early chapters, and managed to keep it through the book. The writing in the first few chapters was The book is riddled with philosophical undertones typical of Exurb1a but this time, there’s a plot and characters.

Minor annoyances were that some explanations of concepts were
Jēkabs Niklāvs Janovs
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m extremely intrigued by the concept of the book. (Meaning - the long wait for the sequel has begun :D )

For long I’ve wanted to read a book like this, and earlier this month I accidentally found Exurb1a’s channel on YouTube. Who would have guessed that such a person, who creates extremely hilerious content online can actually write top notch literary works... I was genualy surprised!

Even though I was confident that this book will consist of Youtube-like witty content, I couldn’t have been more
Generic  Internet reviewer
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first two words were after I finished this book were "holy shit". This book is a masterpiece, there is no other word for it. I did a speed reading of this book over the course of 2 and a half hours and many cups of tea, and was completely hooked. I then then slowed down and reread the book, and was blown away again. It is a spectacular book and some of the ideas scared the hell out of me. The style of writing is very well done and very unique, (at least to my knowledge) and I don't want to sp ...more
Abraxas Longley
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interest Concept, Acceptable Execution

I'd recommend checking out the author's other works first. This is only the first half of the story and the second half has yet to come out.

If, however you're like me and you've read every other Exurb1a book and still yearn to fill the unending void of soul-shredding emptiness gnawing away at your spirit -- look no further!

Exurb1a's distinctive blend of fantasy and theoretical physics is wonderful. His playful language and relatably broken characters are a
Terje
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marco Maia Carneiro
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
A nice enough read, if you haven't read "Fall; or, Dodge in Hell" by Neal Stephenson. It might be one of those low hanging fruits that more than one person can get - the kind of idea that is on our collective minds because of the type of technology some of us face everyday.
Logic Beach starts with a great premise, nonlinear story telling, and enticing world building, then it gets a little loss on its character development, and it falls on clichés.

One big deterrent for me was the fact that the s
Miguel Palhas
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, z-mendes
Even better than what I expected. Who knew a youtuber could end up writing Sci-Fi as great as this
It seems heavily inspired on some novels I've read (or will read), but it still manages to tell a very original story in between. The science elements in it also reminded me a bit of Greg Egan's work

And not sure if this was just me, but I couldn't help but read one of the characters narration exurb1a himself, voice and everything.

The main disappointment is that it doesn't have a proper conclusion (w
N.A.K. Baldron
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you follow Exurb1a on YouTube you'll feel right at home with this novel, where he covers many of the same themes in a more dramatic format. Despite the novel being about ideas, great ideas, it doesn't come at the cost of characters. The mystery is engaging, and while I think I know where it's going, I'm still anxiously waiting to see it fulfilled.

The only draw back is that as a Part 1 there is little in the way of resolution at the end of the book. However, if the next part is half as good a
Rinchen Choden
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Give us Part II, as quickly as possible.

/ I like oceans now because of you: mad and churning manifolds of complexity, teeming playground if natural law, of biology, and chemistry, and physics. All we get of it, all we really see, is whatever washes up and out. its easy to forget, when picking up a shell or a fragment of sea glass how long a journey it undertook to reach your hand, the pilgrimage, the currents it has been conveyed by, a life of salt and whimsy and time. But it is now, on the bea
Orlando Cabrera
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to part II

I like Exurb1a's books. Smart, insightful, and entertaining. The book alternates chapters between letters written by the book's narrator, and more, shall we say, abstract venues and characters. My favorites are the letters, as these are touching, funny, and set the background for the story in a very different way than what you typically find in scifi novels. You may have to brush up on your theoretical physics, or look up certain topics, but shouldn't good literature ma
Nikola Georgiev
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the idea of the book. Also very intriguing story line. Bulgaria wasn't portrayed half that bad as well :) ...more
Abe
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Headline Won't Really Fit On This Line

I sincerely hope you've decided to go with the next part just being two and three combined. This is a book that is going to be fairly abstract to most upon cracking it open and through the first few chapters. For some it will be nonsense half the time. It is worth reading for those folks when the entirety of it has been released probably. This is by and far the most enjoyable presentation of hard science fiction I've ever read. It is the first work of its
May Be
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author explores some really complicated, abstract issues. Definetly gives you food for thought. On the other hand, he's always on the verge of getting too abstract in his imagery and explanations. There's no shame in expecting a degree of intelligence and imagination from your reader, but there's a fine line between writing a somewhat demanding book and writing a completely inaccessible book. I'm not saying that's what happened here. Just saying that the author should be watchful when it com ...more
Ann
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Complicated, abstract, brilliant

I purchased this after following Exurb1a on YouTube and if you’re also a fan then this book will not disappoint. The story alternates between two protagonists: Benjamin Hare living in the present day who writes heartbroken letters to his missing wife and Argie who exists in a fantastical future in which humans live various manifestations in Tiers according to their abilities desperately searching for her missing daughter.
Although thousands of years separate the t
Pranav
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A real fucking mess of things

I mean that in the best of ways. Enthralling is, I believe, an appropriate word to describe my experience after having finished this book.
The cliffhanger is downright maddening. A cult!? Holy crap, Exurb1a! You leave him a choice, essentially between two distinct life imprisonments!

No, seriously, this book is actually, really brilliant for anyone who loves Science-Fiction and Thrillers.
S.
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first book I read by Exurb1a, The Fifth Science, was a phenomenal collection of short stories. Logic Beach was good, but didn't blow me away like that. Maybe the characters didn't seem as real, or the ideas / thought experiments were a little less amazing.

Either way, he's an amazing author, and this book is worth a read if you're in the mood for a Diaspora-esque walk through the world living inside a computer.
Anthony O'Connor
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another work of genius

I appreciated this book on so many different levels. The stark and wry portrayal of the present. The dizzying look at an almost incomprehensible future. The author gets what most don’t. If we survive and if science keeps advancing things are going to real weird real fast real soon. This book provides a few glimpses. Beautifully written, superbly imaginative. I can hardly wait for part two.
Rakesh M.
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The novel was a mixture of Science-fiction, Philosophy and human emotions laid bare. This is my first novel from Exurb1a and I'm mindblown by it. The things discussed in the novel cannot be excluded just cause it's fiction. The arguments put forward about Logic being the absolute dominant factor behind anything to everything was phenomenal and in essence the truth. I feel like I might need a week or a month to understand/grasp the concepts put forward by Exurb1a. ...more
Som Harsh
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Baautiful

Had a blast reading this book
the first 60% was an out of the world experience for me
Last 10% sucked though i felt i need to just finish already
But the climax between lambert and argie was just brilliant
And i absolutely adored the part when hare misses you
Will definitely but its second part
In short it's Worth all the Money
Charlie Rogers
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-lockdown, fiction
An intriguing sci-fi story, filled with mathematical theory and logic. Fun to conceptualise and I rather enjoyed the format of the book. However, I felt that I could predict the ending a little before it came and spend the last 30-40 pages or so hurrying to read through and finish it. A great intro for Exurb1a nonetheless and a very readable addition.
cayborger
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m pretty certain love is an evolutionary trick to convince a species with exceptionally dumb infants to stay together long enough for those infants to grow up

Fun concepts and intriguing theories topped with an entertaining writing style. The first chapter still puzzles me, but I'm looking forward to Part II.
Aniket Sharma
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got to know about this book through exurb1a's YouTube channel.
The story is very interesting. I love science fiction so I liked it a lot. One of the best thing about the story is how the things unfold, how the characters are related and how alternate chapters are in different formats.
Eagerly waiting for the next part.
Jojo
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Benjamin Hare. I got absolutely swayed by this character's emotions.
Argie and Kaluza had a very interesting interaction to me, and when Lambert enters the plot everything just becomes exciting.

All the writing in the book is emotionally and scientifically poetic to my eyes. I really liked it.

~ The cat also likes it. Miss you.
Logicwins
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just found this author and read his book “the fifth science” which i really liked.

I also loved this book. So interesting and unique and big ideas.. if you like the books that i do it’s easy to recommend this one.
Trâm
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook

Sweet Jesus, I need a sequel. Now.

---
Also:

P,

You already put a full stop behind my name. I am getting there with yours. I just wonder what you would think of this book, though.

I miss you.

T x
Andrew Walls
Feb 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Although the approach taken in this book is engaging (two viewpoints juxtaposed), some of the characters (antagonists/villains) keep diving into monologues. While I realize the tradition of villains monologing is alive and well, it makes for some tedious prose that encourages skimming.
Quiddity
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great post-singular scifi, in the vein of Stross, Banks, and Rajaniemi.
Cristian Pasat
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You are weird, Exurb1a.

But, as always, I liked your book and enjoyed the way you sing us your tales. Until the next one...
Filippy
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A spurge of clever and rational LSD
Arthur99
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fucking love this book, especially the romantic letters from the husband are really nice to read and I always feel warm inside after them. Waiting for a part 2

• There Is No Antimemetics Division
  • Ra
  • Fine Structure
  • Instantiation
  • Phenomena
  • The Expert System’s Champion (Expert System, #2)
  • Ed
  • Sapience: A Collection of Science Fiction Short Stories
  • The Bosch: A Novella (Polity Universe)
  • Rare Earth
  • And Shall Machines Surrender
  • Xenophobia
  • New Eden
  • The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution #2)
  • The Forest & Pale Green Dot: Book One & Two of The Forest Series
  • The Oppenheimer Alternative
  • The Last Human
  • Machine's Last Testament
Exurb1a likes fiction with a metaphysical backbone. He enjoys trying to write that kind of stuff himself.

He also runs a subpar YouTube channel of the same name.