Start by marking “A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3)

A Dark and Twisting Path

(A Writer's Apprentice Mystery #3)

Writer's apprentice Lena London is happily working on a new collaboration with her idol and bestselling suspense novelist and friend Camilla Graham, but her joy is short-lived when a dark cloud descends upon the quaint town of Blue Lake, Indiana...

Mass Market Paperback, 273 pages
Published July 31st 2018 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about A Dark and Twisting Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark and Twisting Path

Linda
I’ve stalked this cozy series. I confess. I’m a stalker reader reviewer. After dangling from an imaginary rope off the previous two stories’ cliffhanger endings, I was ready for a rescue, resolution, and major satisfaction of seeing Lazos brought down by the end of book three. Let’s just say I had a smile on my face at The End. 😊

I continue to be mesmerized by the main characters; famous writer—Camilla Graham; her talented apprentice—Lena London; and Sam West—an innocent, yet publicly misundersto
Juli
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Dark and Twisting Path is the 3rd book in the Writer's Apprentice Mystery series. I have to admit that I haven't read the other two books in this series yet. I think I might have enjoyed this book more if I had read the first two books before this one. I was able to follow the story and enjoy it, but I would have understood past events that are very important to the plot and the characters a lot better. So, while it isn't completely necessary to read this series in order, it might be a good id ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not your typical cozy, more than your typical mystery, A DARK AND TWISTING PATH is a wonderfully written, heart pounding whodunit!

Author Julia Buckley once again brings thrills, some chills, and of course, twists and turns to this third installment of her Writer’s Apprentice series. I became lost in the pages of this modern-day tale with a gothic feel and found myself holding my breath more than once.

Readers of the first two books will see the continuation of a running ARC. Will you see a concl
Mark Baker
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, mystery
Lena London and Camilla Graham have just returned from their first joint book tour when Lena gets a call from her friend Allison. Allison has found a dead body on the edge of her property. Lena goes over to be with Allison only to recognize the letter opener sticking out of the victim as one she gave her boyfriend Sam. Who is trying to frame him for murder now?

After the second book in the series, I was anxious to see what would happen to these characters next and how the cliffhanger would be res
Betty
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, e-books
The 3rd book in this series truly deserves the name. I highly recommend you read this series in order. All three books tell the Sam West story.
Sam West was arrested because his ex-wife was missing. Lena London meets him the 1st book and becomes his friend. She moved to Blue Lake to learn from her idol, Camelia and is now collaborating with Camelia to write a book.
This volume starts with the kidnapping of Victoria baby, Athena by her father. An attempt to frame Sam again is made when the body of
Fred
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Dark And Twisting Path is the third book in the Writers Apprentice Mystery series.

I love this series that is set in Blue Lake, IN. I always try to start a new series, to me, with the first book and I feel that this is one that should be read in order. Readers will be able to see the character and story development as it takes place.

Lena London gets a frantic call from her friend Allison asking her to come over right away. When Lena arrives at her home, Allison takes her to the back of her prop
Amy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the third installment in the Writer's Apprentice series set in Blue Lake Indiana. Lena London, the apprentice, is collaborating with Camilla Graham on a new book set in Greece. It is an eerie companion to the current mystery which involves the kidnapping of Sam West's ex-wife's daughter by her wealthy Greek father. While there is an international search for the child, everything seems to focus on Blue Lake when a seemingly innocent bystander is murdered. Sam West again becomes the focal ...more
Karen
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Julia Buckley's A Dark and Twisting Path. A read with all the feels, great suspense, mystery and ending. A favorite series for sure! Loved everything about it cover, title, characters and more.The idea of the writers apprentice series, really appealed to me from book one. From the first page of the first book to the last page of A Dark and Twisting Path, Julia captures the main character Lena perfectly, she is relatable, loveable, curious and calm. She is smart, creative and loyal. Throu ...more
Taryn
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This book was my first foray into this series and I must say that it hooked me from the beginning and I couldn't wait to get to the end. When Lena's friend finds a dead body in her backyard she immediately calls Lena for help, you see the dead man was her mailman and her husband had been seen fighting with him the previous day. Allison is worried that her husband will be the only suspect in the mans death and she doesn't know what she should do. Lena rushes over to help and comes to find a lette ...more
Beth McCraw
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Best one yet!
Melanie
The third installment of "The Writer's Apprentice" finds Lena London and Camilla Graham collaborating on a new mystery that will be set in Greece. (Reading about two writers batting ideas around for plot points and clues is so delightful that, again, I wish THEIR mysteries would be published! The snippets that begin each chapter are so, so tantalizing...)

The very real mysteries of love, murder, and revenge swirl around their lives, as the central mystery of the first two books continues to rava
Liz Jones
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ive waited a long time to read this and it did not disappoint. I can’t wait for the next book!
Patty
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book/series. I did not enjoy the narrator, I prefer the narrator from the 1st two books.
Kristina
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A Dark and Twisting Path by Julia Buckley takes us to Blue Lake, Indiana. Lena London along with her employer, Camilla Graham have returned from England to Graham House. Lena is thinking about her father’s upcoming visit when she gets a call from her friend, Allison Branch asking her to rush over. Allison has found mail carrier, Eddie Stack dead at the back of her property with Sam’s letter opener in his chest. It looks like the killer is trying to set up Sam to take the fall for Eddie’s murder. ...more
Betsy
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Love this series, but this not as much as the first two. Still love characters. 3.5 stars
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lena's best friend, Allison, is in a panic. On a walk in the woods by her home, Allison discovers the body of her mail carrier, an argumentative man who recently had a falling out with Allison's husband. Lena quickly realizes that Allison has nothing to worry about as the murder weapon points to a different suspect altogether: Lena's embattled boyfriend, Sam West.

Sam was cleared of his wife's murder when she was found alive, and now someone is trying to make him look guilty again. Surveillance v
Sue Em
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic series. A blend of cozy and great gothic writing -- think Mary Stewart and Barbara Michaels. Blue Lake is still a hotbed of intrigue. Following the last book, there still is a young child missing and a villain manipulating in the background. Great book but I would recommend reading the series on order.
Bree
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed this series from the start and I think that each new book in the series is better than the last. I found Lena to be truly delightful in this mystery and I was a bigger fan of her after I finished this book. Having friends and those to surround herself with help and sounding boards, Lena really worked hard at the solving of this mystery!
Trish
This one seems to finish the arc which spanned the first three books (Sa, Victoria, Athena and Lazos), and does so in a satisfying way.
Lisa Morin
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting addition to the series

Lena London and Sam West are back in business in A Dark and Twisting Path.
This book grabbed my attention from the beginning and all the different twists kept the story exciting.
Annette
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fantastic well written suspenseful series, I just can not get enough of it. The characters, setting, plot, writing style, everything is all top notch. I can not wait for the fourth book to come out.
Karen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This third book in this gothic cozy mystery series is a real page turner!
The story picks up from where the last book left off so I strongly suggest you read them in order.
Intrigue, secrets, suspense and the big question, "Is anybody who they say they are?"
The small town and characters I have grown to love (along with some exciting new ones) are a winning combination.
I look forward to reading the next book!
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN13: 9780425282625
Author website: juliabuckley.com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Synopsis:

Writer’s apprentice Lena London is happily working on a new collaboration with her idol and bestselling suspense novelist and friend Camilla Graham, but her joy is short-lived when a dark cloud descends upon the quaint town of Blue Lake, Indiana…

Lena’s best friend, Allison, is in a panic.
Nicole
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to Penguin's First to Read for an advance digital ARC of this book.

This is the third book in Buckley's Writer's Apprentice series. When I won this book, I felt compelled to first go back and read the previous two entries in the series. So this is the third entry in the Writer's Apprentice series and the third that I've read in the past week. This series has many of the things I love in a cozy series, including a great setting and an attractive central theme. The central theme in this seri
Caitlin Gemmell
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite mysteries of the year. Although I haven’t read the other books in this series, I didn’t feel disadvantaged. The author sums up the backstory just enough so I could figure out what was going on. This book could definitely work as a stand-alone too.

The main character, Lena London is living her childhood dream. She is co-authoring a book with her favorite author, Camilla Graham. She has a dreamy boyfriend, a circle of wonderful friends, and her dad and stepmom are about
Caitlin
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received free from Penguin First to Read, my thoughts are my own.

Read as a stand-alone. There were enough references to previous events to pick up the story.

A standard cozy mystery series, with a sudden uptick of deaths in a small town, lots of gossip, and plenty of people who are more than they seem. As well as a picturesque setting, a pair of cute dogs, and a demanding cat.

Romance and murder are in the air. People have paired up in previous books, or are working on it in this one, while tryin
Anna Fox
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The main characters, Lena and Camilla, collaborate on writing books. In this one Lena's father and stepmother come for a visit. Lena's boyfriend Sam is once again being investigated for a murder. The body which was found by Lena's friend Allison. Luckily, Sam's security camera shows it couldn't be him, but Lena, Camilla, and the police department all work together to solve the mystery.

I received an ARC provided by NetGalley and Berkley Publishing. for an honest review Thank you. - This is a fan
Adaiah
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I loved Lena, Camille, and Sam. I had purchased the first book in the series, and read it so I was able to follow the storyline. I love small towns, busy bodies, and the gossip that can cause so many misunderstandings, and problems. Camille as a Mystery writer, and Lana as her assistant make quite the pair as amateur sleuths. Lena's love interest is Sam West, whose constantly being accused of a murder, since moving to the small town. Sam's being set up, and the predictable villain is revealed.

D
Joan
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nikon Lazos, the mega rich Greek who set Sam up for the murder of his ex-wife (Victoria) has taken his baby daughter and is in hiding.

When a mail carrier's body is found behind Allison's house with a knife in him that belonged to Sam, the gang suspects that Nikon is also behind his murder. Who else would want to implicate Sam?

Houses are broken into, Lena is being followed, photographs are being surreptitiously taken, and Lena's father and his wife Tabitha are visiting from Florida. Allison feel
Ann
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This is book 3 in A Writer's Apprentice Mystery Series. I think it helps to read the previous books in the series. Lena and Camilla are still working together and Lena is a little happier now that Sam has been cleared of his ex-wife's murder. She disappeared and everyone assumed Sam had murdered her but she was spotted alive in Greece. Now someone is trying to frame him for another murder. Not really a cozy, more a murder mystery. Lots of twists and turns. I received a copy of this ARC in exchan ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I Know What You Bid Last Summer (Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #5)
  • In Cold Chocolate (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Purrder She Wrote (Cat Cafe Mystery, #2)
  • Til Death Do Us Party (A Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #4)
  • Ginger Snapped (Spice Shop Mystery, #5)
  • A Crafter Knits a Clue (A Handcrafted Mystery #1)
  • Against the Claw (Lobster Shack Mystery, #2)
  • Treble at the Jam Fest (A Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #4)
  • Read Herring Hunt (Mystery Bookshop, #2)
  • Ruff Justice (Melanie Travis Canine Mysteries Book 22)
  • Bear Witness to Murder (Shamelessly Adorable Teddy Bear Mystery, #2)
  • Shelved Under Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #2)
  • In Peppermint Peril (A Tea and Read Mystery, #1)
  • Mardi Gras Murder (Cajun Country Mystery, #4)
  • 'Twas the Knife Before Christmas (A Christmas Tree Farm Mystery, #2)
  • A Soufflé of Suspicion (A French Bistro Mystery #2)
  • Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9)
  • Death Comes to Dogwood Manor (A Missy DuBois Mystery Book 4)
Julia Buckley is a Chicago-area writer. Her first mystery, THE DARK BACKWARD, was published in 2006; since then she has published the Madeline Mann mysteries and the first in the Teddy Thurber series on Kindle.

She writes two series for Berkley Prime Crime, with debut titles THE BIG CHILI and A DARK AND STORMY MURDER

Buckley is a member of Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and the Chicag

A Writer's Apprentice Mystery (5 books)
  • A Dark and Stormy Murder (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #1)
  • Death in Dark Blue (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #2)
  • Death Waits in the Dark (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery #4)
  • Death with a Dark Red Rose (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery #5)