Start by marking “Nothing Good Can Come from This” as Want to Read:
Nothing Good Can Come from This

Nothing Good Can Come from This

"Nothing Good Can Come from This is a book about generative discomfort, surprising sources of beauty, and the odd, often hilarious, business of being human." --Leslie Jamison, author of The Empathy Exams and The Recovering

Kristi Coulter inspired and incensed the internet when she wrote about what happened when she stopped drinking. Nothing Good Can Come from This is her de
Published August 7th 2018 by FSG Originals

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Good Can Come from This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Good Can Come from This

Start your review of Nothing Good Can Come from This
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I wasn't expecting much when I picked up NOTHING GOOD CAN COME FROM THIS, which is maybe why it completely blew all of my preconceived notions of what it would be about out of the water. Rather than being the typical navel-gazing novel written by your average misanthropic Gen-Yer, NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OF THIS is reminiscent of early David Sedaris. It's an utterly bitter, utterly hilarious memoir of alcoholism, womanhood, and adulthood.

I
Kristy K
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
"This is why I drank, you know. Because I wanted every day to be like that. I wanted every day to feel like a movie montage, or at least to end in an epiphany, or at least to have a clear narrative arc, or at least to make some level of sense."

3.5 Stars

A memoir told in essay form, Nothing Good Can Come from This, is the non-chronological tale of Coulter’s life from alcoholic to sober woman. As with most books of essays some were stronger than others, but on a whole Coulter does a great job o
Valerity (Val)
A memoir of the author’s experiences of life, written in a series of relatable essays, including her battle with alcohol and how she used various things to distract from it, such as work, running, being a foodie, AA, and other obsessions. I like the tone used and the way it’s told straight out. My thanks for the advance digital copy that was provided by NetGalley, author Kristi Coulter, and the publisher for my fair review.

MCD x FSG Originals
Publication: August 7, 2018
Rene Denfeld
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved these essays. Coulter is a sharp writer, full of wisdom and humor. I think humor is one of the hardest forms to master (I sure haven't), and Coulter is brilliant at it: warm and compassionate and incisively funny. She dissects how the pressures of being a woman today can lead down the compromising path of addiction. This collection of essays is open-hearted, gut-wrenchingly honest and real.
Bonnye Reed
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GNab Kristi Coulter can take the most heart wrenching self doubt, the emotional writhing women tend to put themselves through on a fairly regular basis, and turn it around into a hoot. I haven't laughed so much in years. And she manages as well to point out many things women in general and southern women in particular never realize they have overcome. Not the least of which is tossing the crutch that replaced alcohol in our daily lives. Who stops to think how long it has been since you missed th ...more
britt_brooke
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of the rare collections that can change lives and I don’t say that lightly. Coulter writes frankly about getting sober with essays that detail her life before, during, and after. She writes about becoming a runner, the bullshit women have to deal with, and the human condition in general. The cover caught my attention, but the writing is very good, too. And she’s funny. I loved it!

Thank you, NetGalley! It was a privilege and a pleasure.
Books on Stereo
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nothing Good Can Come From This is a brilliant, raw portrayal of a the Author’s struggle with alcoholism.
Robin Bonne
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The opening essay, Enjoli, alludes to how maybe excessive drinking is a by-product of being a “24 hour woman,” which is an analogy for the sociological concept of “the second shift.” I thought it was interesting. For my own reasons, I do not drink alcohol and found many of the author’s observations rang true for my own personal experiences being sober in a society that encourages drinking.

Desire Lines, an essay that seemingly both shunned and celebrated bourgeois values, seemed out of place amo
Kitty
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
There are enjoyable parts to this, and I like the focus on sobriety, but I got sick of the author's apparent amazement with her uniqueness, especially in the essay "Desire Lines." I was shocked that she wrote this in at least her forties - she often comes off as a teenager. When she actually focused on her sobriety and running, I liked it, but I couldn't take the paragraphs about her epicureanism and love of high heels, as if either of those things were unusual or particularly interesting. I'll ...more
Katie Dillon
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
I wanted to like this soooooo much more than I did. It was okay! I respect any person who is vulnerable enough to share their story with the world, and I think Kristi had a lot of valuable points to make about why women drink. Some of her essays were downright beautiful. The letter to her friend? Gorgeous. The bit about falling in love with someone else, while being in love with her husband? Thought-provoking (and a little depressing), but some were a little tedious. Anyway, I'm glad I read it.
Joy
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a well written memoir and the author lives in Seattle so that was interesting to me. It's a quick read but I guess I was expecting more due to the high ratings here.
Carolyn
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Note: I received this book from the author/publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a big fan of memoir/essays told with dry wit. Like enough to say it's probably one of my favorite genres. So maybe I'm biased, maybe I'm burnt out of realistic humor writing, maybe I'm in a weird place but this just didn't do it for me. Kristi Coulter writes about her decision to quit drinking and how life is both easier and harder without a drink. Some of the stories are funny, some of them m
Katherine Gypson
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new favorite book for me - to sit alongside the work of Cheryl Strayed, Heather Havrilesky and Sarah Hepola. I know a book will stay with me when I have to read it with my journal by my side because the author is prompting me to ask new questions about my own life - to think and look back and wonder and write it all out.

A good book like this is on the level of a great conversation - and that's the true accomplishment here from Coulter. This book is like having a brutally honest, funny, someti
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Coulter's essay collection about what happens when she stops drinking is both raw and heartfelt -- and also wickedly sharp and humorous at times. Coulter definitely comes from a place of financial privilege -- and she acknowledges this multiple times throughout the collection. She looks at the holes that drinking has tried to fill in her life -and it's relatable to anyone who has engaged in any kind of compulsive behavior as a distraction or substitution for dealing with emotions, inadequacies, ...more
Nupur Govila
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book feels very contrived and cliched. There is no strong movement of voice or original thoughts. It did not hold my interest at all and I am a prolific reader who rarely abandons a book but I just couldn’t go through this one. Thank you #Netgalley for the copy though.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
An essay collection reflecting on the author's struggle with alcoholism. Overall I though the writing was really sharp and personal, but as a whole the collection lacked depth and perspective.
Laura Santoski
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really love Kristi Coulter’s writing. I came across her because of her viral article on Medium, then read through her blog - so of course I was gonna read her book too. There are no earth-shattering insights in here, but she’s honest and brave and funny, and it was well worth the read.
Lissa
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
I like to read personal essays but I've realized that the more that I relate to an author, the more that I enjoy the essays and I really related to Kristi Coulter.  I found this full of low-key humor and so many sentences that I ended up highlighting because it fell so true to me.  My only complaint is that they started to feel really similar towards the end but for women (and there are a lot of us) in our late thirties/early forties who feel some days require a glass of wine, this is a very aut ...more
Ann
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is not a feminist book. This is a self-congradulatory memoir that says nothing about life as a woman or an addict; it's a collection of cheap yarns the author has clumsily stitched together in an effort to appear cohesive. Instead the upshot of each chapter ignores every blessing of her uninspired life and ends with "I guess I'm just a stronger, smarter and more together person than I thought?? My husband and all my friends seem to think so! SOBRIETY! FEMINISM!"

Books I would recommend inst
Liz
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
“Can you ask the bartender to make me something nonalcoholic that isn't sweet?'... What he got was a coupe glass filled with something that tasted a little like tea, a little like soda, and a lot like belonging. It was delicious"

“What I'm thinking, but don't know yet how to say out loud, is Does anyone know what they're becoming until they've become it? I'd been running for three years before I realized I was a runner. I'd been drinking for twenty-five before I knew I was a drunk.”
Célèste
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I tore through this and loved every minute. I want to reread it. This is my favorite kind of book. All the essays stand alone and work together. It’s about her sobriety, but it’s about so much more, too: feminism and marriage and career and money and sex. Her voice is extremely funny, but she never uses humor to avoid telling the truth or being vulnerable.

What I learned: How to write about one story from multiple angles. That I should check out Laurie Colwin.
Lori
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. some of her essays were a full 5/5, others a 2. Kristi's honesty, retrospection, and introspection are raw and painstakingly detailed. Her journey is a truly remarkable story of determination, grit, and willpower to become truly alive in the world without the burden of a long-term, debilitating addiction.
Lisa Gabriele
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An instant classic in the 'soberlit' genre, up there with Drinking, A Love Story, Blackout and Lit. Even if you don't have a drinking problem, this book is a warm and lyrical look at compulsions and distractions, and all the ways we try to get out of the "here and now", and how futile is in the end.
I love this book.
Sarah-louise Raillard
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At turns hilarious and poignant, this is a recovery book that breaks all the stereotypes.
Emily
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by just how much I liked this book! Coulter is funny and frank, and it certainly helps that we like the same stuff and live in the same place. There's a whole essay about The Pantry's farm camp, something I've dreamed about doing (although now that I know you have to kill a chicken I think I'll skip it). There's another about my favorite poem. A whole essay! It really felt like hanging out with a cooler, wiser but still messy friend.

There's a sense of sort of a second coming-of-a
Audrey
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5⭐️

This book was such an enjoyable surprise. I was scouring Hoopla looking for a non-fiction audiobook and literally stumbled across this book and am so pleased I did. For one, the audiobook is great, narrated by Kristi Coulter. Highly recommend. Now for the book itself....

This is Kristi's story about how she quick drinking and life "on the other side" so to speak. It's also a look back at the role alcohol has played in her life since she was a teen - from drinking at high school parties to ta
Cecilia
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, babz
Some of the essays included in this collection are five star and others just two star.
Christine
Do I need all of the addiction memoirs I read to feature serious drama? Fifty percent of the book showcasing mortifying scenes of the author's obvious plummet to rock bottom followed by the other fifty percent spent in rehab with a mostly happy ending? I definitely don't think everyone needs to stick to the same well-worn formula, but I found this particular memoir a little disconnected. I just didn't fully feel on board with the author, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't really getting into h ...more
Carin
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a memoir told in essays, which can feel disjointed, but for me it did come together in the end. Kristi is a successful businesswoman with a drinking problem. This is not a story commonly told. Pretty much all of the addiction memoirs I've run across have felt like a competition to who can achieve a new low. Which is a dreadful thing to aspire to, as many people die on their way down. Also, the vast majority of people with drinking problems do not have the horrific consequences described ...more
Ramona Mead
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'll be honest, I had this book on my NetGalley shelf for over three months and was avoiding it because I was afraid it would inspire me to quit drinking (something I've been considering for approximately a decade) Initially I thought the author was going to come across as self righteous and blindly rail against alcohol. Then I realized the reason I disliked her tone was because it resonated with me so strongly.

This is a collection of extremely personal, gorgeously written essays about Coulter'
Goodreads Librari...: ebook edition missing cover art 2 14 Apr 17, 2020 03:53PM

• We Are the Luckiest: The Surprising Magic of a Sober Life
  • Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol
  • The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober
  • Girl Walks Out of a Bar: A Memoir
  • Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget
  • Drink: The Intimate Relationship between Women and Alcohol
  • Sober Curious: The Blissful Sleep, Greater Focus, Limitless Presence, and Deep Connection Awaiting Us All on the Other Side of Alcohol
  • Lush: A Memoir
  • Drinking: A Love Story
  • As Needed for Pain: A Memoir of Addiction
  • Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety
  • The Sober Diaries: How one woman stopped drinking and started living
  • This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life
  • My Fair Junkie: A Memoir of Getting Dirty and Staying Clean