Start by marking “Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been” as Want to Read:
Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been

Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been

"I used to be a lesbian."

In Gay Girl, Good God , author Jackie Hill Perry shares her own story, offering practical tools that helped her in the process of finding wholeness. Jackie grew up fatherless, experienced gender confusion, and embraced both masculinity and homosexuality with every fiber of her being. She knew that Christians had a lot to say about all of the above
Published September 3rd 2018 by B&H Books (first published September 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Gay Girl, Good God, please sign up.
Megan No, this book is anything but homophobic. This book is about a woman's belief system changing. Read it, and decide for yourself. You don't have to…moreNo, this book is anything but homophobic. This book is about a woman's belief system changing. Read it, and decide for yourself. You don't have to agree with it. (less)
Nathan Richardson I agree in the sense that the book is a scam: another one of the thousands of people who claim they changed from LGBT to straight, when in reality,…moreI agree in the sense that the book is a scam: another one of the thousands of people who claim they changed from LGBT to straight, when in reality, they went from straight to straight. However, you can not attribute Christianity to homophobia. It is only the radicals who take the Bible's verses out of its context to justify their hate. Do not let them tell you that Christianity is against LGBT rights, those are liars. The 6 verses in the Bible supposedly condemning homosexuality are either not about homosexuality at all, applicable to a group of people that don't exist anymore (such as the Israelite Jews from Moses to Jesus), or condemning certain types of sexual immorality that involves homosexuality (such as gay gang rape). I don't want to get into the argument with someone about "the Bible does not allow your vile sin", but I wanted to give you a general answer to your not-so-question question.(less)

Orion
Oct 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
For those fellow LGBT Christians: this book is nothing new. It is the same old “love the sinner, hate the sin” rhetoric we have heard for many years. The author doesn’t believe herself being gay is a sin, but that engaging in lesbian relationships is. As a bisexual and trans Christian, it is disheartening for me to see so many “open minded” straight Christians latching on to this book as a way to still oppose homosexuality without seeming hateful.
I believe with all my heart and soul that God do
Tasha
Nov 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I hope anyone who is looking at these reviews wondering if this book could help them “pray away the gay” or anything along the lines of that sees this comment.
Your sexuality, no matter gay, straight or something in between isn’t something to be ashamed of. Love is love, and I’m sorry if anyone has ever made you feel like who you are is something you have to change.
You are perfect the way you are.
David  Schroeder
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful memoir and must read even if you think you would relate little to none to her story.

I'm not into hip hop or spoken word. I'm not gay (or was). I am a man. I didn't grow up dealing with any of the circumstances like Jackie did. There is very little reason to read this except for the sake of empathy and that in this case, empathy and understanding is the most important reason. Everyone has a story and hers is worth reading.

This is not a book just about homosexuality. It is about disc
Ashley
Oct 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's difficult to rate a person's memoir and how they view their own life. However, reading this critically as both a Christian and a member of the LGBTQ community, I found some aspects hard to swallow. First, Jackie seems to avoid the use of the term "sexual orientation" and uses the phrase "same-sex attraction" instead. While this may not seem troublesome, members of the LGBTQ community are likely to read that and come to the conclusion that she is calling the attraction a choice rather than s ...more
Amanda
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
I don't know how I ran across Jackie Hill Perry, but after hearing her story...and how she talked about her story, I wanted to know more. I've listened to numerous interviews with her and always walk away not as interested in her ex-gay conversation but instead her talk about God.

This story is a brutally honest, poetic, saturated in Scripture memoir of exactly what the tagline says, "who I was and Who God has always been."

As Jackie tells bits of her story, she then turns to God's Word to explain
Hannah
I really wasn't sure what to expect, but wow...this woman's heart for God really jumped off the page. I didn't know anything about Jackie Hill Perry, so I wasn't expecting the highly poetic prose. I really enjoyed her writing style.

Now, the book isn't a strict course of theological apologetics: this is Jackie's heartfelt testimony of what all God saved her from. She doesn't attempt to answer all the naysayers; she preaches Jesus and what His holiness and grace drew her out of. As a testimony of
Rachel Oates
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Short Review: A truly harmful and heartbreaking book, written by a woman who is clearly in need of help, support and kindness not encouragement. To anyone struggling with their sexuality, religious or not, or to anyone who knows someone who is part of the LGBT+ community: Please ignore everything in this book and live your life doing the complete opposite of Jackie.

Full reviews here:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvWS-...
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwHVZ...
Part 3: *Coming s
Amy Morgan
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jackie’s testimony is powerful. Also, if you replace “gay” with whatever your personal idol is, really good book about worshipping God instead of gods. Convicting book, whether you are gay or not.
Anthony
Dec 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
“When you lie to me, you lie to yourself. You’re only lying to yourself.”
— Beyoncé, “Don’t Hurt Yourself”
Kellyn Roth
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-to-come
3.5/5 stars

The contents of this book deserve 5 stars, but I found the writing style impossible to follow, and I also ended up skimming through a lot of the 'splaining about ... just random things. And if you're not a Christian, this is a fantastic intro {so is the Bible, haha}, but as a Christian, I don't want to go over the whole story again ... but this time in a different voice. xD It just doesn't appeal to me. But that's personal preference.

Also, the style of the book was weird because it se
Kelsey
Oct 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I feel sorry for Jackie Hill Perry. This is a terrible experience to have had, feeling as though you have to pretend to be heterosexual in order to fit in with your community. And for what? Are your friends really your friends and your family your family if they can sleep at night knowing that they rejected the love that you give to the world because it’s not the “right” kind? Or are those people just cowards who’d rather condemn you to a life without really romance because they’re scared that y ...more
Rebekah
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was hard to put down. It was also a stretch for me since this is a topic I don't really care to know much about.... But unfortunately, it's a part of our world. It was amazing to read about Jackie's salvation and how God brought her from where she was (a gay girl) to where she is now - a saved woman praising her good God. Because of the content I wouldn't recommend this book for younger readers.

Yibbie
God is good.
No matter what we do, or who we think we are, God will never change. This is a beautiful testimony of a woman who found that God was more important than anything we hold dear. She wants us to see, as she did, that God wants us, all of us, all our actions, thoughts, and love. In return, He gives us all of Himself.
It is for a mature audience. Jackie is open about her temptations and struggles. She talks about her life before salvation and what that she enjoyed about it. She doesn’
Cassandra
Jan 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is just sad. I feel sorry for people like her. This is so toxic. If you're Christian and gay, please don't read this. This book supports one of those "love the sinner not the sin" philosophies. It was recommended by girl defined after all.
Aberdeen
Basically: This story touches on so many important, and misunderstood, issues—same-sex attraction, biblical femininity, repentance, sanctification, evangelism—and Jackie is an honest, winsome, and humble storyteller.

Something I've been wrestling with a lot recently is what it means to be a woman, in the truest, best, biblical way. How can I, as a woman, be strong without being rebellious or brazen, or honor the way God made me without succumbing to mere stereotypes? This book is probably the mos
Aaron Ventura
I like Jackie and appreciate her music but this book was only Okay. I found the chapter on the so called "heterosexual gospel" to be rather misguided and unhelpful. She wants to guard against the idea that gays must become straight in order to become Christians (the Galatian heresy of putting sanctification before justification), and I agree with her in wanting to clarify that the gospel is for sinners, not the righteous. But the mistake comes when she tries to disconnect holiness from heterosex ...more
Cassandra Eggert
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and humbling. I’m going to be reading it again this week.

I read another review on here that if you replace the word “gay” with any other idols of your heart, this book can reorient your heart to worshipping God. It’s completely true!

I fell more in love with God reading this book realizing how good He truly is. It will be definitely be in my top 10 favorite books list.
Joy
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was by far the best book I've read this year. Jackie's writing is exquisite, but more than that her portrayal of our good God and His sustaining grace allowing us to overcome sin, was life changing. This is about SO much more than gayness, although it was fascinating to understand a bit more about someone who has come out of the gay lifestyle. I was particularly convicted about Jackie's commitment to repeatedly battle temptation for the greater gift of communion with God.
David Robertson
‘Oh no’ I thought[‘ here we go again’. Yet another memoir on being a gay Christian. But I had heard this girl was good…..so I ordered Gay Girl, Good God in the hope that it might not be bad. I was wrong….it is superb! This is the book that Vicky Beeching should have written!

There is so much that is good about it. It is really well written…as a hip hop artist, poet and writer, you would expect Jackie to be good with words – and your expectations would be correct. I actually found this book hard
Jeanie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new" Also he said, Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true,". And he said to me, "It will be done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. Revelation 21:5-6. It should be an expectation of both newer and older believers coming out of the LGBT community that they will experience the temptation to identify as ...more
Gracelyn Buckner
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

The LGBT rights debate is something that I've struggled with for a while. I was raised with certain beliefs, but not too long ago, I was forced to reconsider those beliefs. That's been confusing.

When I saw this book, I was hesitant to read it. But then I saw that it was a former homosexual that wrote the book. So I started it. And I loved it. This isn't going to have a normal review, but I'll just talk about three points she made that really spoke to me.

1)Same-sex attractions don't disa
Ashley Elliott
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in two sittings - late one night & early one morning before work (I wanted to finish it so badly that it almost made me late). It gripped me, challenged me, and convicted me. Definitely recommended for anyone who has struggled with homosexual thoughts, has friends in that lifestyle, or anyone who thinks they know better than people in the previous two groups.
Kathy Baldock
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’ve read dozens of books in the same genre of Christian titles of which “Gay Girl Good God” by Jackie Hill Perry is the latest entry. Perry’s first book is a memoir of her life thus far from “gay girl once” to “what God’s goodness will do to a soul once grace gets to it.” (p. 1)

Memoirs are challenging to review because we each have a story uniquely our own. Still I am reviewing this book because what I most care about is how stories like Perry’s are used.

Though it may not be the intention of th
Essie-Marie W.
Read this amazing little book in one sitting yesterday afternoon. What a breath of fresh air to my soul! From page one, you can immediately tell Jackie is a poet. Her writing style is beautiful and abstract, and capture such profound meaning. Her testimony is powerful, and you will leave this book praising God for his incredible goodness. The last section is also an incredibly helpful resource that I think everyone should read and apply.
Shannon Whitehead
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I appreciate the boldness with which Jackie has been willing to share her story and the clarity of her theological explanations. She's an excellent teacher. The first part of the book reads mostly like a memoir and honestly, I found her writing style challenging to read. She's a poet (a fantastic one) and it shows in her writing style, but I was thinking that there may be such thing as too many metaphors for a book (versus a poem) and I wished more editing was done to improve sentence structure, ...more
Daniel Ligon
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gay Girl, Good God is simply incredible- one of the most powerful and transparent autobiographical books that I've ever read. It's a wonderful story, beautifully written (and beautifully narrated by the author if you have the audiobook). Jackie Hill Perry is so real in telling the story of her struggles in life, how and why they came, and how Jesus Christ transformed her life. It's messy, and often heart-wrenching, but it's a story that needs to be told and needs to be heard. Jackie talks about ...more
Jo LeGare
JHP is an unashamed poet. She encouraged me spiritually and relationally through the power of words... I’m not often moved by someone’s interpretation of Jesus, but she writes as if I’m her confidante and it prostrated me before Him.

For instance, I told a friend I was weary of being a Christian lately, and JHP put it into prose: “My back, showing signs of the wear and tear from the cross it was carrying day to day, was weary.” Wow. That had me crying at 2 a.m.

She’s got grit; and this hotbed top
Hannah
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jackie’s book spoke to my heart. How can this be when the author and I are no where close to being the same? The Gospel, pure and simple. Jackie will tell you (as the subtitle tells) who she was, but more importantly who God always has been. And she does so with raw beauty. She’s honest about her past, she’s doesn’t sugar coat it. But by being honest and open, she allows you to see the complete and utter beauty and power of the transforming Gospel of Jesus Christ. That’s why this book resonated ...more
Riza Marise
Feb 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated-it
Went through this in like a day and a half and had to stop whatever I was currently reading since I was just borrowing my cousin's copy of this book and had to finish it before she left for the airport the next day.

Well, this was...interesting. It's the real life story of a 'formerly homosexual' woman struggling with her faith, and her eventual encounter with God that changed her life and......made her straight.

Oof.

As a person who grew up in a very Christian country, a country more Christian th
NinaB
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I had never heard of this author until this book. I was intrigued by the title and its being promoted by a few blogs I follow. Before I give my review, I must say that my liking the book does not make me a fan of the author’s rap music, nor do I completely agree with her view on social justice. This review is simply based on this book and not on on the author’s other works.

The most important part of this book is the author’s biblical emphasis when talking of her sin, conversion and sanctificatio
Perusing with a P...: June & July Discussion Schedule 1 5 Jun 29, 2019 12:55PM
Perusing with a P...: Our FIRST Discussion (TBD) 1 4 Jun 29, 2019 12:46PM
Perusing with a P...: JUNE & JULY READS 1 5 May 30, 2019 05:12PM
Girls Love Girls ...: Thoughts on gay girl good god 1 87 Feb 15, 2019 10:36AM

• A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality
  • Alive in Him: How Being Embraced by the Love of Christ Changes Everything
  • In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with Christ
  • Conscience: What It Is, How to Train It, and Loving Those Who Differ
  • Same-Sex Attraction and the Church: The Surprising Plausibility of the Celibate Life
  • Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids
  • Love to Eat, Hate to Eat: Breaking the Bondage of Destructive Eating Habits
  • Love Thy Body: Answering Hard Questions about Life and Sexuality
  • Recapturing the Wonder: Transcendent Faith in a Disenchanted World
  • God and the Transgender Debate: What does the Bible actually say about gender identity?
  • Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul
  • Susie: The Life and Legacy of Susannah Spurgeon, wife of Charles H. Spurgeon
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson
  • Onward: Engaging the Culture without Losing the Gospel
  • What Does the Bible Really Teach about Homosexuality?
  • The Art of Rest: Faith to hit pause in a world that never stops
Jackie Hill Perry is a writer and artist whose work has been featured on the Washington Times, The 700 Club, DesiringGod.org, The Gospel Coalition, and other publications. Since being saved from a lifestyle of homosexuality, she has been compelled to share the light of the gospel through writing, teaching, and art. Her poems have reached more than 1 million views on YouTube. She is signed to Humbl ...more
“The deception was in believing that the tree was more satisfying to the body and more pleasurable to the sight than God.” 8 likes
“Light has a way of welcoming in the truth and letting it put its feet up, which in turns means that everything not like it, though it may invite itself over, can’t get comfortable enough to stay.” 4 likes