Jump to ratings and reviews

Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been

"I used to be a lesbian."

In Gay Girl, Good God , author Jackie Hill Perry shares her own story, offering practical tools that helped her in the process of finding wholeness. Jackie grew up fatherless, experienced gender confusion, and embraced both masculinity and homosexuality with every fiber of her being. She knew that Christians had a lot to say about all of the above. But was she supposed to change herself? How was she supposed to stop loving women, when homosexuality felt more natural to her than heterosexuality ever could?

At age nineteen, Jackie came face-to-face with what it meant to be made new. And not in a church, or through contact with Christians. God broke in and turned her heart toward Him right in her own bedroom in light of His gospel.

Read in order to understand. Read in order to hope. Or read in order, like Jackie, to be made new.

193 pages, Paperback

First published September 3, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jackie Hill Perry

20 books567 followers
Jackie Hill Perry is a writer and artist whose work has been featured on the Washington Times, The 700 Club, DesiringGod.org, The Gospel Coalition, and other publications. Since being saved from a lifestyle of homosexuality, she has been compelled to share the light of the gospel through writing, teaching, and art. Her poems have reached more than 1 million views on YouTube. She is signed to Humble Beast records and released her debut album, The Art of Joy, in 2014. She and her husband, Preston, have two daughters.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
399 (2%)
1 star
595 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,014 reviews
Profile Image for Orion .
11 reviews11 followers
October 4, 2018
For those fellow LGBT Christians: this book is nothing new. It is the same old “love the sinner, hate the sin” rhetoric we have heard for many years. The author doesn’t believe herself being gay is a sin, but that engaging in lesbian relationships is. As a bisexual and trans Christian, it is disheartening for me to see so many “open minded” straight Christians latching on to this book as a way to still oppose homosexuality without seeming hateful.
I believe with all my heart and soul that God does not think being LGBT and engaging in gay and lesbian relationships is a sin. Sexuality is a God-given gift, we should embrace it and live our lives fully. I’m glad the author has found wholeness, but acting like this is a prescription for most LGBT Christians is a recipe for repression and mental illnesses, plain and simple.
2 reviews12 followers
November 1, 2018
I hope anyone who is looking at these reviews wondering if this book could help them “pray away the gay” or anything along the lines of that sees this comment.
Your sexuality, no matter gay, straight or something in between isn’t something to be ashamed of. Love is love, and I’m sorry if anyone has ever made you feel like who you are is something you have to change.
You are perfect the way you are.
Profile Image for David  Schroeder.
206 reviews21 followers
June 20, 2018
A beautiful memoir and must read even if you think you would relate little to none to her story.

I'm not into hip hop or spoken word. I'm not gay (or was). I am a man. I didn't grow up dealing with any of the circumstances like Jackie did. There is very little reason to read this except for the sake of empathy and that in this case, empathy and understanding is the most important reason. Everyone has a story and hers is worth reading.

This is not a book just about homosexuality. It is about discovering the beauty of grace and love from the most wonderful savior, Jesus. Jackie's story is a reflection of the gospel and we should all stand up and praise God for how He works in hearts, especially Jackie's. In the book I certainly was educated about what someone who is a gay goes through. I also got an intimate glimpse into how it is grace that triumphs in someone's life, not their sexuality. We get far too wrapped up in sexual identity in our society when where our hearts truly yearn to be known by God. The good news in this case is that He already knows you. He knows me. And his grace is beautiful. He just wants us to to go to HIm.

Read Jackie's story and you'll see.
Profile Image for Ashley.
4 reviews3 followers
October 8, 2018
It's difficult to rate a person's memoir and how they view their own life. However, reading this critically as both a Christian and a member of the LGBTQ community, I found some aspects hard to swallow. First, Jackie seems to avoid the use of the term "sexual orientation" and uses the phrase "same-sex attraction" instead. While this may not seem troublesome, members of the LGBTQ community are likely to read that and come to the conclusion that she is calling the attraction a choice rather than something we are born with. Near the end of the book, Jackie does say that it would be wrong to expect Christian's worth same sex attraction to completely lose that attraction, she says that the person should endure to ignore those attractions and look to God.

I am someone who had a relationship/faith in God/Jesus long before I accepted my sexuality. But, like Jackie, those attractions were there from an early age, long before either of us could have known what sexuality was.

I appreciate her willingness to share her story, but I fear how these words will be used by Christian's in a damaging way to the LGBTQ community. While Jackie is right that we are more than our sexuality, our sexuality is still a part of us. It is something that I feel we are born with. To write about a loving God who created us, formed us in his image, and then to imply that there is something wrong with those who dont fit the heterosexual mold seems contradictory.
Profile Image for Rachel Oates.
19 reviews925 followers
March 7, 2019
Short Review: A truly harmful and heartbreaking book, written by a woman who is clearly in need of help, support and kindness not encouragement. To anyone struggling with their sexuality, religious or not, or to anyone who knows someone who is part of the LGBT+ community: Please ignore everything in this book and live your life doing the complete opposite of Jackie.

Full reviews here:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvWS-...
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwHVZ...
Part 3: *Coming soon*
Profile Image for Amy Morgan.
253 reviews21 followers
July 9, 2020
Jackie’s testimony is powerful. Also, if you replace “gay” in the title with whatever your personal idol is, really good book about worshipping God instead of gods. Convicting book, no matter your particular struggle.
1 review
October 19, 2018
I feel sorry for Jackie Hill Perry. This is a terrible experience to have had, feeling as though you have to pretend to be heterosexual in order to fit in with your community. And for what? Are your friends really your friends and your family your family if they can sleep at night knowing that they rejected the love that you give to the world because it’s not the “right” kind? Or are those people just cowards who’d rather condemn you to a life without really romance because they’re scared that you’re “other” and that that will supposedly affect their prospects.

You can pretend that you’ve been “saved” (from what? love?) but the only abomination I see around here is so-called humans who are proud to force others into the depths of utter sadness and desperation because they’re so self-obsessed that they can’t think about anybody else’s lives.
Profile Image for Anthony.
46 reviews18 followers
December 14, 2018
“When you lie to me, you lie to yourself. You’re only lying to yourself.”
— Beyoncé, “Don’t Hurt Yourself”
Profile Image for Amanda.
322 reviews37 followers
August 31, 2018
I don't know how I ran across Jackie Hill Perry, but after hearing her story...and how she talked about her story, I wanted to know more. I've listened to numerous interviews with her and always walk away not as interested in her ex-gay conversation but instead her talk about God.

This story is a brutally honest, poetic, saturated in Scripture memoir of exactly what the tagline says, "who I was and Who God has always been."

As Jackie tells bits of her story, she then turns to God's Word to explain, to educate and show what God has taught her from those times and events.

I really wanted to write something profound about this book but I can't b/c the book itself was so profound I wouldn't do it justice.

Here's what you need to know--this book isn't a "what Christians should do about the gay conversation" nor is it a racy listen-to-my-gay-story or a gays-are-wrong manifesto. Instead, it's a beautiful story of how God loves us, how He desires us and how He wants us and wants us to want Him.

You will love Jackie's beautiful poetic prose and her attention to Scripture. You'll also walk away with a new love for God. I did.
Profile Image for Cas .
9 reviews9 followers
January 15, 2019
This is just sad. I feel sorry for people like her. This is so toxic. If you're Christian and gay, please don't read this. This book supports one of those "love the sinner not the sin" philosophies. It was recommended by girl defined after all.
Profile Image for Jordan Barclay.
132 reviews
January 17, 2020
Wow... a 4.30 out of 5 on goodreads...

Let me get this out of the way real quick:

If you rated this book anything higher than 2 stars, then you are a delusional hindrance to society and are enabling a traumatized author to fight against her own sexuality for your ill-informed God.

Was that too harsh? Good, I don’t care.

I have accidentally read some pretty awful books in the past: serial killer manifestos, young adult literature from a pedophile, the list goes on and on.

But no experience has hurt more than enduring this text.

This is the worst book I have read in my life.

Jackie Hill Perry’s memoir accounts of her transition from a lesbian to a heterosexual, and how she defends that all members of the LGBTQ can free themselves of their innate sin.

Perry, a gifted poet and writer, rejects the idea that one’s sexual orientation is solidified at birth, and to defend her thesis she relies solely on the scripture of the Bible, which made her change her own sexuality to become a “Good Girl”.

I am not exaggerating; there is not a slither of critical thinking in this whole memoir. Every moral epiphany from Perry is a dependent regurgitation of the literal interpretation of the scripture.

I get that this book is for a Christian audience, but in order to successfully address a secular issue like gay rights, you must incorporate some critical thinking on a secular level. Otherwise, you’d parallel the same people who used the Bible to justify segregation and slavery in the previous centuries.

Perry sets it clear from the beginning that being gay is a “sin”, and that Homosexual desire exists because sin does . So, as a passionate follower of Christ, Perry condemns her own sexual orientation, and convinces herself (through [her flawed interpretations of] Christ) that any urge of her own sex is condemnable to hell.

It gets even worse. Although Perry claims she was attracted to women as long as she remembered and experienced a traumatic sexual assault by a man, through the words of her homophobic God, she ends up breaking up with her girlfriend and marrying a man to have a kid. Imagine how painful that must be. You’re born as a disgrace to your Lord, you get assaulted by a gender you’re not attracted to, you later give into social pressure to marry that gender who assaulted you, and produce a child with that person. And worst of all, Perry tries to make this sound redemptive and beautiful, when it is undeniably a cry for help.

I hope she gets help. I strongly encourage a lot of people to read this and see what toxic Christianity can do to the LGBTQ community. I love Perry and she deserves nothing but kindness.

And to anyone who enjoyed this poor girls crisis because of an outdated analysis of one’s religion, please, comment why I’m wrong without using a single bible verse. I’d love to see you try.

Jackie, if you see this, just know that I love you dearly and you have a blessed gift for writing. This is not an attack on you by any means; it’s an attack on anyone who endorses this book’s regressive message.

I have seen 2 of my gay friends receive violent threats to leave their southern cities, and one of my transgender friends committed suicide last year. Gay Girl, Good God delegitimizes the LGBTQ to make them hurt more.

The worst book I’ve ever read.
F-
Profile Image for Hannah.
2,402 reviews1,324 followers
January 1, 2019
I really wasn't sure what to expect, but wow...this woman's heart for God really jumped off the page. I didn't know anything about Jackie Hill Perry, so I wasn't expecting the highly poetic prose. I really enjoyed her writing style.

Now, the book isn't a strict course of theological apologetics: this is Jackie's heartfelt testimony of what all God saved her from. She doesn't attempt to answer all the naysayers; she preaches Jesus and what His holiness and grace drew her out of. As a testimony of her salvation, this book is beautiful and well done. I agreed with all her theological points, something I find all too rarely. Well done, Jackie.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy. A positive review was not required.
Profile Image for Dimitris Karagkounis.
154 reviews10 followers
May 11, 2019
Nah. No way. Anything that starts with something as ridiculous as "I used to be a lesbian" belongs in the trash pile.
Sorry, but no. You either were a lesbian and still are but simply went back in the closet, thought you were a lesbian and figured out you were bi, or were never a lesbian to begin with.
Miss me with that God shit.
Profile Image for Kathy Baldock.
Author 11 books94 followers
December 2, 2018
I’ve read dozens of books in the same genre of Christian titles of which “Gay Girl Good God” by Jackie Hill Perry is the latest entry. Perry’s first book is a memoir of her life thus far from “gay girl once” to “what God’s goodness will do to a soul once grace gets to it.” (p. 1)

Memoirs are challenging to review because we each have a story uniquely our own. Still I am reviewing this book because what I most care about is how stories like Perry’s are used.

Though it may not be the intention of the author to tell LGBTQ people that they too can be “once” gay and go on to marry heterosexually, this will become the message as the book is “gifted” to, or read by LGBTQ Christians. And, the book will be idolized by many parents with gay children as a solution for their own children if they would just try harder, or submit more fully to God.

You can search my profile on Amazon and see that I have reviewed dozens of this sort of book over the years. Many memoir-style once-I-was-gay books have indeed become sacred weapons in the hands of straight Christians, parents, pastors, and leaders.

I don’t get to tell Perry, or anyone, what they should or should not do. What I am offering some historical background of same-sex behavior, our understanding, and how the Christian church has engaged LGBTQ people, in particular, those who identify as Christian. Then, I’ll place Perry’s story in context of that foundation. Next, you get to decide if the framework we’ve constructed in the Christian church should be imposed on LGBTQ Christians, and if Perry’s story is a fully viable option for other LGBTQ Christians, maybe even yourself.

Perry’s chapter titles throughout her book reflect a series of time spans; my format mirrors that.

6,000 BC—AD 1870

In Chapter 2, Perry recounts the Creation story using beautiful language, telling of the introduction of desires and sin into the world. She writes: “Desires exist because God gave them to us. But homosexual desires exist because sin does.” (p. 20)

Attributing homosexuality to The Fall is common. Though I do not agree with a young earth view of creation, I will honor it in the context of this review. From whenever the beginning of humans was through about 1870, the views and understanding of sex, sexual relationships, and the roles of men and women both sexually and socially have little resemblance to how we understand these topics today.

Historically, in ancient cultures, including the entire time in which the Bible was written, women were little more than fertile planting grounds for a man’s semen. His semen was believed to hold the entirety of a human. Hence, where he placed that semen was important. Procreation was important. So masturbation and other forms of non-procreative sex were taboo, or, in biblical language, abominations. Almost unbelievably, it was not until 1870 that scientists discovered that women contributed an egg to the process of procreation.

Women, or those abased and placed in the role of a woman (lesser men, the conquered, male prostitutes, or boys) were socially inferior, placed in a submissive role, and sexually penetrated.
Penetration of a male always reduced him to the feminine submissive state. We see examples of rape, even in the Bible, used to humiliate and debase men (the Sodom threatened rape of angels).

Then, beginning in the 1870s, a few men observing and studying human sexuality offered an alternate way of viewing sexual relationships. Rather than defining people by male/masculine/penetrator or female/feminine/penetrated, they suggested a new concept with a complete shift. They categorized people according to the partners they were attracted to: was that partner the same or opposite sex?

How we looked at sexuality began a slow, very slow, shift over the next sixty years from the role you played (male/masculine/penetrator or female/feminine/penetrated) to who you were attracted to (men, women, or both men and women). We call this sexual orientation today. They did not even have that terminology and would not for another century.

Obviously, Scripture passages, including those used to condemn same-sex relationships today, were written through the lens of the role you took in sex, not who you were attracted to. You simply cannot impose our categories or understanding of human sexuality onto an ancient culture.

Though it is likely clear, it must be stated again: any writings in ancient times, the Bible included, could have never envisioned people of the same sex engaging in emotional, romantic and sexual relationships that did not place one person in power and dominance while rendering the other powerless and submissive.

Sex was not something you did with someone, it was something you did to someone. It was a zero sum game; one person gained power, one person lost power.

1870—1930s

The words homosexual and heterosexual were coined in Germany. Throughout the next sixty years, sex experts primarily in Germany struggled to understand how people were attracted to the same sex, and what may have caused it.

It wasn’t just homosexuals that were the focus of sex experts. They were also trying to understand anyone who participated in sex for erotic pleasure without the intent to procreate, what we now call heterosexuals were included in that scrutiny. So, even men and women, married or not, who had sex without intent to procreate (there are lots of ways men and women have sex that are not procreative, right?), or just for the fun of it, were similarly viewed as “perverted.” Hard to believe, isn’t it?

By about the 1920s, sex slowly became unhinged from procreation, and passion in sex moved from perversion to normal.

Homosexuality, still a mystery to sex experts, became a topic of speculation as to what may have caused it. Was it incomplete childhood psychosexual development? An immature heterosexuality? Did an overprotective mother and distant father create a gay child? By the 1940s, it was generally settled on that homosexuality was a mental illness. Heterosexuality, the kind that was once a perversion, the non-procreative, erotic kind takes it place as “normal sexuality.”

1935—1946

A translation team working on the Revised Standard Version translates two Greek words, arsenokoitai and malakoi, which had meaning most closely related to: one who uses another sexually, and one who is penetrated, as a woman is penetrated, to the single word “homosexual.” The word “homosexual” had only been in a U.S. dictionary since 1934. It was a poor translation choice for the two Greek words, but in a culture where homosexuality was a mystery and contrary to procreative sex, the word was unfortunately used. The translation to homosexual was culturally and ideologically based, not theologically rooted.

1950s—1970s

Very few people seemed to care or notice the word “homosexual” in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. Homosexuality was considered a mental illness. Virtually no church leaders used the Bible to condemn those who are homosexual during this time period.

Homosexuality was not a moral issue. It was considered a mental illness, or a criminal issue. There was no theology around homosexuality. That would not be created until about 30 years after the RSV introduction of the word. Another hard to believe concept.

1973

Homosexuality was depatholigized by mental health care professionals, meaning, it was seen as a normal part of the spectrum of human sexuality.

1978—1990s

Homosexuality, no longer considered a mental illness by experts, becomes a moral issue and sin in conservative Christian circles.

In 1971, The Living Bible, a paraphrase, inserted “homosexuality” into two more passages: Romans 1 and Leviticus 18.

For some, the beginning of the gay rights movement in the late 1960s indicated a moral crisis in America. Conveniently, it was used by some, mostly televangelists of the day, as both a donation tool, and a wedge issue motivating voters to side with conservative social and religious issues.

Theology to support this stance was created for the first time. That may be tough to envision, but all historical records of books, journals, and denominational newsletters support this assertion. Christian organizations promising to change homosexuals to heterosexuals envisioned transformation to be so effective that they could even successfully enter into heterosexual marriages.

Subsequent translators after the RSV, for the most part, neglected to revisit those original assumptions and ignorance on the part of the 1946 translation team.

1988

Perry is born into this culture.

1989—2007

Perry grows up and falls in love with a woman.

LGBTQ Christians in church environments were told they were an abomination to God, and could change according to Scriptures, even those these very passages that had never been used in this way before the 1970s.

Contrary to the expert opinions of medical professionals, Christian organizations and reparative therapy counseling boom with the promise to change gay people into straight people. Gay Christians are given a few options: leave the faith altogether, find a new church that welcomes them, hide their orientation, submit to change therapy, marry heterosexually, or remain celibate for life.

2008

Perry, a lesbian, becomes a Christian in this environment. As would be expected, to identify as a Christian, she has few options open to her. She chooses to leave the relationship with the woman she loves.

2008—2014

Perry grows in her faith and begins a difficult heterosexual relationship with Preston. Eventually they get married and have two children. Again, this is one of the acceptable options placed on gay Christians remaining in conservative faith environments.

Summary

Though I’ve created a long and seemingly tedious timeline on which to place Perry’s story, I hope it’s an effective tool showing that discussions around human sexuality and orientation has progressed toward fuller understanding EXCEPT in conservative faith environments. As medical experts better understood sexuality and orientation, conservative Christians took a step backwards to about the 1950s and created a theology to substantiate that move.

Now to Perry’s story in particular.

As one would expect, to remain in a conservative faith environments, Perry views homosexuality as sin. She admits she still struggles with being drawn to women, but, rather than identifying as a “gay Christian,” along with many of her peers, she opts for a semantics and nuanced angle calling herself “same-sex attracted.”

Admonishing those who would identify as “gay Christian,” Perry writes our (Christian’s) identity is to be rooted in Christ. I can partially agree with her reasoning, our identity is to be in Christ.

But, consider this, my fellow heterosexual Christians, Christianity and the lens through which the Bible was written and interpreted, has revolved around us and a strict male with female only scenario based on roles for millenia.

Historically, LGBTQ people have not even had the language to express their life experiences that existed outside the binary of men with women and women with men. Now, they have the language and a way to express that their feelings and experiences. Is it really so difficult to allow people the space, language, and community to define their experience as unlike yours (mine)?

Believers in Jesus have no hesitation declaring our denominational loyalties saying “I am a Baptist, I am an evangelical, I am a Nazarene.” No one yells back, “No, you are not, we are all one in Christ Jesus and just Christians.” No, we allow ourselves to be grouped by experiences, beliefs with and an array of labels. It is quite common for people to form groups of shared experiences and label themselves as such.

Using an identity label of “gay” does not negate Jesus or supercede Jesus, or limit a rich spiritual life. We straight Christians don’t need to label ourselves. We don’t need to say heterosexual Christians. We are the default; we are the “normal.”

Yet, Perry and others are adamant about using the term same-sex attracted rather than “gay.” This is surprisingly a major issue for many conservative Christians, including Perry. She says, “I don’t believe it is wise or truthful to the power of the gospel to identify oneself by the sins of one’s past or the temptation of one’s present but rather to only be defined by the Christ who’s overcome both for those He calls His own.” (p. 148) Additionally, “LGBT culture has done an excellent job of renewing or should I say destroying, the mind of many, mainly by consistently using words as their greatest tool in their efforts to draw people into finding greater joy in identifying with their sin rather than their Creator.” (p. 150)

If using self identifiers common to the culture is enough to keep one from heaven or even from greater joy in God, that is a darn weak gospel.

As to the viability of the celibacy option offered to LGBTQ Christians, this too is a newly created “theology.”

Once Christians started the attempts to change LGBTQ Christians in the late 1970s, the goalposts of expectations have been constantly on the move.

In the late 1970s to 2010s when Christian reparative therapy was introduced, the expectation was a change to heterosexuality, marrying heterosexually, or remaining celibate for life. The blame for being gay gradually shifted from bad parenting to rebellion against God on the part of gay people themselves, and onto to the sinful result of The Fall. More recently, with focus on the ineffectiveness and damaging effects of reparative therapy, in some Christian environments, a “same-sex attraction” identity has become more acceptable, but with it, remains a lifelong demand for celibacy.

As laws banning reparative/change therapy are being introduced and passed in many states, there is a new option to the offering: “reintegrative therapy. With it, the LGBTQ community is being asked to step back to the 1960s-ish.
Perry invests about 30 pages telling her readers of the struggle to trust and fall in love with her husband, Preston.

I’ve heard hundreds, actually likely thousands, of stories of LGBTQ people heterosexually marrying. Some can and do accomplish this with minimal tension. In most instances that do work, there is some degree of bisexuality, a natural attraction to both sexes. Deceptive and dishonestly, bisexuality is never written about as a real scenario in these sorts of books.

For the overwhelming majority, did I say OVERWHELMING majority, a mixed-orientation marriage, as it is called, is not a healthy option for either partner. Once out of a heterosexual marriage, these same LGBTQ folks go on to same-sex relationships and marriages and flourish emotionally and spiritually.

Again, Perry’s scenario may work marvelously for her, but clearly her story is not at all typical.

After the marriage, she leaves the readers almost flatly at the altar. I know that I was curious. How is that working? Are you both fulfilled, happy, joyous? I really would have wanted to read about the love and joy they experience as a married couple, but the reader is shut out of that insight.

Credit to Perry where it is due. Her telling of her journey to relationship with God is lovely and moving. Her language in many places is poetic, though in other places it feels forced and too ethereal for the point she is making, like a writing assignment where a student is told to use a maximum amount of word pictures.

The writing throughout the book is unfocused. The reader goes from wandering in a sea of Jungian like-dream sequences to a jammed in oh-yeah-it’s-not-okay-to-be-gay point. Really awkward.

Like others before this (Christopher Yuan and Rosaria Butterfield’s books—I reviewed those as well), it is highly likely that this book will be used as the latest sacred tool shoved as a burden on the backs of LGBTQ Christians, particularly young women. The message offered, unspoken or not, is “Look, Jackie is married with kids. You can do this too, if you really try.”

If you are tempted to do this to another person (in love, of course), please really consider the history that I laid out at the start of this review. This entire category of “what to do with the gays in churches” is a new one in Christianity.
Perry doesn’t deal with the passages used to condemn same-sex behavior. So if your intention is to compel an LGBTQ person to change via Scripture, that’s not included in this book.

This is Perry’s story only—unfocused, ethereal, flat, and forced in content. It’s the kind of writing that for me would typically only merit a skimming, but I read all of it because I take the task of book reviews seriously.

Perry is a successful spoken word artist, as is her husband. It’s evident that she does have a gift for words and the blending of them into effective mind pictures, but a book of this sort is not the communication mechanism for that gifting.

Finally, I try to imagine what the reaction might be if this book were given to my LGBTQ Christian friends. The supposition that they have not tried hard enough, not read those secret verses in the Bible, not submitted to God enough, not practiced submission deeply enough, not sought after God as hard as Jackie is false. For the most part, the majority of LGBTQ Christians I know have struggled with verses and God far more than any person who hands them yet another “hopeful, “loving” book.

So, here is my suggestion. Skip the book-giving. Skip reading the book if you think you are going to get insights into the lives of those who identify as LGBTQ Christians.

Rather, ask an LGBTQ Christian about their relationship with God, about the person they love, about their journey in life and with God has looked like for them. And then, listen some more. If you don’t personally know any LGBTQ Christians, start with Justin Lee’s wonderful memoir, “Torn,” or maybe Amber Cantora’s “ReFocusing My Family.”

You may find, as I did, that it’s not LGBTQ Christians that need to change. It is the exclusionary conservative church that needs to revisit wrong assumptions and bad translations and get a good education in the history of human sexuality.

If you are LGBTQ and Christian, also check out Lee’s or Cantorna’s book, or one of many LGBTQ affirming faith organizations can help you find your journey and story.

Skip Perry’s “Gay Girl Good God,” but do listen to her spoken word loveliness on other topics. She has a gift, it’s just misplaced in this book.
Profile Image for Aberdeen.
234 reviews27 followers
February 7, 2019
Basically: This story touches on so many important, and misunderstood, issues—same-sex attraction, biblical femininity, repentance, sanctification, evangelism—and Jackie is an honest, winsome, and humble storyteller.

Something I've been wrestling with a lot recently is what it means to be a woman, in the truest, best, biblical way. How can I, as a woman, be strong without being rebellious or brazen, or honor the way God made me without succumbing to mere stereotypes? This book is probably the most helpful thing on the subject I've read so far—yes, a book written by a former lesbian. But isn't that the whole point of what God does, using our brokenness as a way to more clearly reflect His light?

You can tell Jackie Hill Perry is a poet—some of her sentences left me speechless, rereading them for the beauty and power of her turn of phrase. You can also tell she loves Jesus. He is the hero of her story, and this is probably the best part of book for me: how central he is. Jackie doesn't offer easy, trite answers to the issues of being attracted to someone of the same gender or finding sin alluring and desirable or wrestling with how to embrace your femininity when your personality and voice are louder and stronger than most women's. She does, however, always point back to Christ, to the power of what he accomplished on the cross. I appreciate how she depicts how tempting sin is, how hard it is the fight even when you're Christian, but simultaneously how ultimately desirable and satisfying Jesus is. Both of those things are so true, and so opposite, that you don't often find them portrayed so clearly.

Jackie offers valuable—no, invaluable—insights for those of us were not attracted to the same gender. She helped me understand what that struggle feels like and also how to minister to those who are in it. Her chapter on how Christians preach a heterosexual gospel (i.e., Jesus wants you to be straight, instead of he wants you to be His, fully saved in every way) is eye-opening and much needed. More than that, her story can encourage all of us because we all struggle with sin, and we all need to be reminded, as her friend told her, “the gospel didn't just save you, it also keeps you.”

This book shone light on the lifestyle and culture I know little about but it also revealed truths I need to be reminded of in my own life.

Who gave mercy my address? Or told it how to get to my room? On the way down the hall, shouldn't the smell of idols kept its feet from moving any closer. Then I remember the whispers of the Bible that I knew by heart. “For God so loved the world that He gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
The same Bible that condemns me held in it the promises that could save me.
Profile Image for Katherine.
504 reviews5 followers
March 27, 2020
Fair warning: If you disagree with my one star reading, I can guarantee you will not like my review.
Don't feel like you have to read it; feel free to move along.
I was told by a friend that this book really opened her mind. I told her what I had heard about it - that it said you could "pray the gay away," that gayness is a sin, etc. She refuted those statements, saying that Perry rather focused on seeking God first rather than people. She encouraged me to read the book and decide for myself rather than reading reviews and listening to my friends who have read it. Fair point - so I did. And I have to disagree.
Perry is a born-again Christian. She is a gay woman who has decided that gayness is a sin, and she repeatedly refers to it in this way. I found this to be an incredibly tragic read. There were points where I cried. She talks about how she decided to pursue God, but an inherent part of that choice was giving up her sexuality. Here's a clue: if you ever hear someone talk about "same-sex attraction" (usually in a phrase like "Christians who are experiencing same-sex attraction"), that person is not going to be tolerant towards gay people. Nine times out of ten. Perry says that those who are gay and have tried to pray it away simply have not dedicated their lives in the way she has.
The parts that hit me the hardest were when she talked about her life as a gay woman. She talked about the love that she had for her girlfriend, the way that things felt right when she held her, the way her body and mind felt when she wore clothes that matched how she felt as a person. And then she called all of those things sins. She later talks about her husband, and it is apparent in the way she describes being with him, that she was uncomfortable. She did not find the same comfort in the way she dressed. She did not open up to him. She did not want to be touched by him. She told him as much, thinking they were done. And then he proposed, saying that God told him to love her, and she accepted.
I don't want to criticize Perry for her choices, but I have to say that I find them heartbreaking. This is personal, but I don't believe that love is a sin. And despite the years and prayers since being in the relationship, Perry still calls that experience with her girlfriend Love. I wish that Perry had been guided by Christians who embraced her as she was. I don't believe that all of her feelings were sinful. Sure, she talked about objectifying women, and I think we would both agree that this is not good. But she sets up her own desires and God's desires as two inherently different things. That if you are doing something for yourself, it cannot be for God. Again, I have to disagree. Sexual attraction & gender identity are fluid, but they are also something that we experience from a young age. And Perry did not make these changes because she lost interest in women or in dressing masculine; she made these changes because she believed they were a sin.
Perry says that you are not born gay. And yet she talks about how she liked girls as long as she could remember, how she did not want to dress feminine as a child. She says that she does not believe in gay conversion therapy, and yet in her own book she says that gayness can be changed with the right amount of dedication. She talks about how God's creations are to be respected and revered, and yet, as far as I can tell from her writings, she has gone against how she was created. Perry talks about how Christians should not be judgmental, and yet so much of her book is making a fundamental judgment, that gayness is a sin. Her public work is defined by this judgment. And she will tell you that this is not her judgment, that it is God's judgment and his words. But her interpretation of the bible is not the only interpretation of the bible, and she seems too quick to claim that she knows better. There's so many dichotomies that just don't seem to work.
Profile Image for Yibbie.
1,049 reviews41 followers
September 20, 2018
God is good.
No matter what we do, or who we think we are, God will never change. This is a beautiful testimony of a woman who found that God was more important than anything we hold dear. She wants us to see, as she did, that God wants us, all of us, all our actions, thoughts, and love. In return, He gives us all of Himself.
It is for a mature audience. Jackie is open about her temptations and struggles. She talks about her life before salvation and what that she enjoyed about it. She doesn’t glorify it, but she wants us to understand that she wasn’t trying to escape her life. It was the promise of a relationship with God that brought her to Him not dissatisfaction with her life. She is as delicate as possible, but there are some details. She is also very open about the struggles that continued as she learned to obey the Lord.
Even before I found out Jackie is a poet, I thought her style was lyrical almost to the point of being poetic. Her love for words is beautifully obvious. She uses them to open her heart to us about her struggles and the Person who has met her and loved her. At the end she tells us that praise is the ultimate point for her words, to show us God’s goodness.
I vaguely regret listening to this as an audiobook. Those last chapters deserve more meditation than I could give it in an audio format. They were good. They would make a good study of the true gospel. But I got a copy earlier in that format so it was good, but I would recommend a hard copy for anyone interested in deeper study.

Profile Image for Rebekah.
268 reviews77 followers
February 14, 2019
This book was hard to put down. It was also a stretch for me since this is a topic I don't really care to know much about.... But unfortunately, it's a part of our world. It was amazing to read about Jackie's salvation and how God brought her from where she was (a gay girl) to where she is now - a saved woman praising her good God. Because of the content I wouldn't recommend this book for younger readers.

Profile Image for Gabriella.
258 reviews224 followers
August 20, 2022
Hmm...I spent so long with this one, largely because it hurt me to get through it. I think I have been following Jackie Hill Perry for nearly ten years. I was first introduced to her when I was 13, and this was through watching her spoken word for P4CM, a now-defunct church that put on several of those “hip Christian” events in LA. For context, during the time I gained exposure to her, I was a closeted teen attending a small (white, Baptist) high school in Gastonia, NC and moonlighting as the first daughter of a small (black, nondenominational) church in Charlotte, NC. When I initially watched Jackie’s videos about how “she’s not gay no more”, I related to them, because I spent a lot of time in that school praying for the same to be true about me. When I look back on that period of my life, I am struck by the deep misery and self-flagellation I put myself through to be a better Christian, and I am thankful that I’ve had the courage, support, and exposure to move past that mindset. I think this book is so heartbreaking for me, because I feel as if Jackie is still stuck in a very dark place that she has justified as her faith.

Here are my general notes:

1. I think it’s a relevant detail to note that Jackie is telling us a story ten years into her faith, and ten years removed from her “lifelong sexuality” (she says this, not me!) However, from what I can gather, she was out for about five years, all of which were during her teens. This isn’t to say that young people can’t have informative and/or transformational life experiences, but more so that it’s confusing that she is an “authority” on two communities (LGBTQ+ people and “delievered” same-sex attracted Christians) that she was clearly a very young member of. I wonder if the opinions about her journey would change if she were older when she was “living as a lesbian”, when she converted, and/or when she wrote this novel.

2. This immaturity kind of exposes itself in her “solutions to lesbianism”: she doesn’t really offer useful tips for people seeking to convert, as it seems like she basically had a dream about her girlfriend being the death of her, and then quit being gay cold turkey with a bit of prayer sprinkled in. HOW is this realistic advice for the majority of people?!? I am confused.

3. There’s a much larger question that really exposes itself in the first pages of this book, where Christian author Nancy Wolgemuth introduces it: who is Jackie’s audience? Nancy basically explains that Jackie and her are nothing alike (because Nancy is white and had two parents and never knew gay people growing up), but that she thinks people like herself can still learn something from Jackie’s testimony. It is VERY telling that this is the woman JHP thought was best suited to introduce her story to her readers, most of whom--given the nature of her publisher, as well as the reviews I’ve seen--are white, conservative Christians. Throughout the story, Jackie seems to share her primary supporters’ disdain for the “pathology” of black communities and single-parent households, and attributes a lot of her homosexuality to being “fatherless.” Once again, so much self-hatred and internalized bigotry coming through--not just against gay people, but also against black people.

4. Because my girlfriend (who also read this book) does not have Goodreads, I am going to pass on her brief review, which I find to be incredibly pertinent: “[This book] is not against homosexuality, it’s against love, period!” This story is very very painful to read, as Jackie is constantly walking away from things she deems sinful to embrace things she does not enjoy. She talks about the deep discomfort she encounters after feeling forced to wear more feminine clothing, and how she was literally repulsed by her future husband touching the small of her back. Her solution to this? Apparently, trusting that God wants her to marry the same man she once told “I just don’t understand why I’m not with women. Because I don’t want to be with you.” This is not love, this is torture!!!

5. I think this book’s promotion of torture shows how Jackie misunderstands why people have “unbelief” about her story: not because it’s not possible to be attracted to different people at different times, but because SHE does not convincingly show any signs of attraction to her husband! She says it feels like a pill to swallow to hold his hand. I don’t want to believe God would call anyone to that misery in order to be like Him.

6. Finally, her criticism of the “heterosexual gospel” is useful, but stops way short of its natural conclusion. She is right about the heterosexual gospel being a hoax: that marriage should not be the goal of Christianity, as it so often is in church communities. But the goal of Christianity also shouldn’t be a life of singleness, which is the option she believes SSA Christians who are NOT given heterosexual urges should pursue!! I liked that she mentioned that the church should create more community for non-married people, but she knows that’s not the case right now. And in the world we’re in, many times you do become very lonely if you aren’t partnered. In her own words, she is comfortable with recommending folks align with the “excruciating nature of following the cross” even if that means a life of solitude, and I am not.

I’d like to finish my review by offering a flash-forward in my personal journey since encountering JHP back in high school. From the outside looking in, I assume some people may think that I feel abandoned by the church I grew up in, and particularly my dad’s ideology. But, I’ve found that this “isolation” is worth it, because it has allowed me to seek out the believers who unconditionally love me, instead of the ones who JHP has encountered, who support her book when she “dresses up pretty” to promote it and denounces black people within it. I’ve seen in her life and my own that many Christians who “support your deliverance” are often expecting that you fit THEIR concept of savedness, which often has little to do with God’s word, and more to do with heteronormativity. What I have learned, especially since coming out to my mom and a beloved member of my childhood church, is that there are people who can hold their faith and your sexuality at once. There are people who can love you enough to ask nothing of you that they would not of themselves. These are the Christians I hope JHP is able to encounter, for her own peace.

At the end of the day, it’s Jackie’s life, and I hope it’s happier than it seems on page, because I just can’t believe God wants anyone to be as miserable as she appears. I wish she weren’t feeding a bunch of white Christians and young, impressionable gay teenagers such a bleak picture of the requirements for people who love God and love the same gender. All in all, I just wanna know which book she’ll be writing in 20 years. I hope, and pray, it’ll have a bunch more joy than this one does.

P.S. If anyone wants actual affirming work to read after this, I am recommending This I Know: A Simple Biblical Defense for LGBTQ Christians as well as A New Christianity for a New World: Why Traditional Faith is Dying How a New Faith is Being Born. The first book (really a booklet) is engaging and easy to get through, especially for those like me who are not great with dense theological text. I haven’t read the latter, but it came highly recommended by my uncle, and I will look forward to posting my Goodreads review of it in the coming weeks!
Profile Image for Kellyn Roth.
Author 24 books832 followers
December 10, 2020
Update December 2020:

I think this was a good book. I want to reread it some time! However, I suppose I shall, for now, leave my current review!

Original January 2019 Review:

3.5/5 stars

The contents of this book deserve 5 stars, but I found the writing style impossible to follow, and I also ended up skimming through a lot of the 'splaining about ... just random things. And if you're not a Christian, this is a fantastic intro {so is the Bible, haha}, but as a Christian, I don't want to go over the whole story again ... but this time in a different voice. xD It just doesn't appeal to me. But that's personal preference.

Also, the style of the book was weird because it seemed to hop all over the place, didn't really follow any set timeline, rambled off in different directions, etc. So yeah. Just kinda weird structurally. But then I can't judge - I don't read nonfiction often enough to know if this is common or not.

Ummm ... I'll try to organize my thoughts on this later! I finished it from 11:30 to about 1 last night. It was good! A powerful story. It was also clean, too, which was a blessing. There's nothing about this book that a mid-teen couldn't read.

Anyways, yep. That's about all I have to say. This book is very Biblically sound without allowing hate or prejudice to penetrate.
Profile Image for Joy.
148 reviews58 followers
September 11, 2018
This book was by far the best book I've read this year. Jackie's writing is exquisite, but more than that her portrayal of our good God and His sustaining grace allowing us to overcome sin, was life changing. This is about SO much more than gayness, although it was fascinating to understand a bit more about someone who has come out of the gay lifestyle. I was particularly convicted about Jackie's commitment to repeatedly battle temptation for the greater gift of communion with God.
Profile Image for Cassandra Eggert.
10 reviews4 followers
September 9, 2018
This book is amazing and humbling. I’m going to be reading it again this week.

I read another review on here that if you replace the word “gay” with any other idols of your heart, this book can reorient your heart to worshipping God. It’s completely true!

I fell more in love with God reading this book realizing how good He truly is. It will be definitely be in my top 10 favorite books list.
Profile Image for Ruth Meyer.
Author 6 books67 followers
August 7, 2019
The last thing I was expecting from this book was to be convicted. SSA (“same-sex attraction”) isn’t something I personally struggle with, but Jackie clearly points out that ALL pet sins are equally harmful and potentially endangering to the soul. All sin is placing yourself and your own desires over God’s perfect will for your life. I appreciated that she didn’t single out homosexuality as a worse sin than any other. Contrary to what I’ve read from other reviewers, Jackie doesn’t condone homosexuality. At. All. She makes the point that the temptation will always be there for most SSA Christians. Becoming a Christian doesn’t automatically take away the homosexual attraction or make a gay person straight. Every Christian is tempted, and temptation does not equal sin. Jesus was also tempted as we are, yet remained without sin. As she says in Chapter 15, “Just because we are tempted does not mean that we ARE our temptations.”

I respect Jackie for sharing her story, but I did find her writing style difficult to follow. She started telling a story from her past, then interrupted it partway through to tell a story from the Bible, then went back to her story with no transition, leaving me confused at points. It was as if I got her story in bits and pieces, and I’m not even entirely sure I understand the whole story. For example, she mentioned at one point that she found out she was having a baby girl and was overwhelmed about how to pass along the concept of biblical womanhood when she herself didn’t fully understand it, but then she never mentioned her daughter after that, leaving me wondering.

This is not a “how to” book for those who struggle with SSA. Jackie isn’t writing a step by step program. She is simply sharing her story—God’s story—of how God changed her life and made her realize that His love is more than sufficient. She does share some insights and Bible verses in Part 3 as practical tools for SSA Christians, although it gets repetitive and I found myself skimming parts of it. However, I thought Chapter 16, “Same-Sex Attraction and Endurance” was a particularly strong chapter with some great insights for all Christians.

Although I struggled at times to follow her writing style, I admire Jackie for her honesty and courage in writing a book that many label “homophobic.” Taking a stand for the truth as found in Scripture is not always easy, but it is a truth the world desperately needs to hear.
Profile Image for David Robertson.
90 reviews
September 14, 2018
‘Oh no’ I thought[‘ here we go again’. Yet another memoir on being a gay Christian. But I had heard this girl was good…..so I ordered Gay Girl, Good God in the hope that it might not be bad. I was wrong….it is superb! This is the book that Vicky Beeching should have written!

There is so much that is good about it. It is really well written…as a hip hop artist, poet and writer, you would expect Jackie to be good with words – and your expectations would be correct. I actually found this book hard to put down. She manages to combine a beautiful way of writing with a great story – and the hardest thing of all – a story that ends up not being about the gay girl but the Good God.

I couldn’t help but contrast it with Vicky Beeching’s ‘Undivided”. And the contrast is stark. Jackie’s story is about she started off having an identity in sexuality and ended up with her identity in God. Vicky’s is about starting with her identity as a Christian artist/theologian and ending up with a new identity as a gay rights activist. Jackie’s book honours Scripture and glorifies Christ…Vicky’s denigrates Scripture (by twisting and changing it to suit her views) and demeans Christ (by turning him into nothing more than a cheer leader for the current ‘liberal’ zeitgeist).

One other difference – Vicky’s is welcomed and lauded by the secular media – she is the new darling of the anti-Christian establishment, with regular appearances on secular tv, radio and in parliament and the big companies. I guarantee Jackie will not be invited on to the BBC, Sky or CNN! The sad thing for me is that even mainstream Christian news outlets give far more publicity to Vicky Beeching than to Jackie Hill Perry. Just go on to any of them and ‘search’ the two names and see who has the most mentions and the most articles. It’s a sad day when we publicise heretics and silence the faithful!

Gay Girl, Good God, is highly recommended. Get two copies (soon - before it is banned by those who would argue it advocates conversion therapy - it doesn't - but they won't like the narrative). – one for yourself and one to pass on. My Christian book of the year so far….
Profile Image for Eliza Noel.
Author 2 books71 followers
November 28, 2018
This is Jackie Hill Perry’s story. But it’s not just her story. It’s the story of how sin affects us all and how desperately we need Jesus Christ.

Mrs. Perry’s childhood was not an easy one and it definitely affected her negatively. Aside from that though, she was born with a sinful nature just like the rest of us. As much as we may try to ignore it we’re all sinful and desperately in need of a savior. Perry’s teen/young adult years were filled with lesbianism. Even after she came to Jesus she still struggled with SSA and the consequences of her past sins. It’s only with God’s help that she had the strength to break up with her long-term girlfriend, make drastic lifestyle changes and leave the LGBT community she’d grown so comfortable in. Through all the pain and bad choices in her earlier life God still had a plan for her. Now at age 29 she’s a wife to a Christian man and a mother who uses her story to encourage others and spread the gospel.

I, personally, went into this book in hopes of understanding LGBT people I know better and learning how to shine Jesus’ light to them. I didn’t realize that in addition to that I’d find so much in her story about our sinful nature as humans and God’s goodness to apply to my own life. The bottom line is that whether we’re gay or straight we’re all sinful and in desperate need of God’s mercy. When Perry came to Christ her eyes were opened to not only lesbianism being a sin she struggled with, but also her pride and selfishness. Just ‘going straight’ wouldn’t have fixed her ‘problems’. She needed Jesus. Just like we all do.

I highly recommend this book to older teens and adults, whether they’re Christian or even secular. Read this if you’re interested in what makes Jackie Hill Perry’s story remarkable. (Spoiler alert: It’s God’s goodness. The same goodness he shows to all of us.)
Profile Image for Risa 🍂🌾.
108 reviews5 followers
February 14, 2019
Went through this in like a day and a half and had to stop whatever I was currently reading since I was just borrowing my cousin's copy of this book and had to finish it before she left for the airport the next day.

Well, this was...interesting. It's the real life story of a 'formerly homosexual' woman struggling with her faith, and her eventual encounter with God that changed her life and......made her straight.

Oof.

As a person who grew up in a very Christian country, a country more Christian than Italy or America (hint: it's in Asia) this kind of reasoning and 'logic' is something I see all too often.

This book isn't any different from other 'true story' religious transformations out there, except it's a little less preachy. It's STILL preachy, don't get me wrong, but not so much that it made me want to burn the nearest bible. But in all other aspects, it's still the same: it lauds religion as the basis of morality, it encourages people to live their lives according to a bunch of ancient Scriptures that not only are extremely problematic but also have been translated and retranslated over and over and should NOT be taken seriously, much less LITERALLY.

It encourages people to get rid of common sense, to put more weight on fairy tales and superstition over critical thinking and logic.

I have no way of knowing exactly what kind of person the author is, but I'll say this: there is a lot about her (that she explicity states in this book) that should be a Red Flag for any rational person reading this book.

One, she is a Young Earth Creationist. She believes that the earth was only created 6000 years ago in only 6 days, by the Abrahamic god of Christianity. She takes the theory of creation stated in the bible literally, and that we all came from Adam and Eve. (I don't think I even need to explain why this makes her logic.....questionable.)

Two, she says that 'desire was given to us by god' and homosexual desire only exists because sin exists. She believes that the reason she felt guilty and scared of being a lesbian was because it is inherently evil. (And certainly not because she was raised in an environment that normalizes homophobic behavior and encourages the idea that Gay = Sin) 🙄

Doesn't matter how chipper and pleasant the tone of the book is. Idiocy is idiocy. This lady believes in a god? Then that's her personal choice, but that doesn't excuse all the ridiculous things she states in this book. Homosexuality is just as inherently bad as heterosexuality is inherently good. This book lauds the kind of black and white morality that religious people often preach. Listening to your heart means you are listening to the devil because we are all inherently sinful and need to be saved by a magical man who isn't very good at his job. Oh, and all the truth in the world can be found in a book written hundreds of years before by men who didn't even know what the sun actually was. It was probably written as some kind of Lord of the Rings esque epic for all we know.

Recommended for: people who like non-fiction stories where the monsters win.
Profile Image for Aaron Ventura.
435 reviews59 followers
October 1, 2018
I like Jackie and appreciate her music but this book was only Okay. I found the chapter on the so called "heterosexual gospel" to be rather misguided and unhelpful. She wants to guard against the idea that gays must become straight in order to become Christians (the Galatian heresy of putting sanctification before justification), and I agree with her in wanting to clarify that the gospel is for sinners, not the righteous. But the mistake comes when she tries to disconnect holiness from heterosexuality. She talks as if holiness does not make demands of our creational gender, which contradicts other statements she makes about God's grace redeeming and restoring the whole person, including their sexual desires. Herman Bavinck has some good stuff on this in his "Reformed Dogmatics" discussions on Nature/Grace. Grace does not nullify nature, it restores it back to God's original intent. If you do read "Gay Girl, Good God," you should really read "The Grace of Shame" by Tim Bayly as well to help you navigate these errors. Christians keep making these basic category mistakes and it just creates more problems down the line.
Profile Image for Jeanie.
2,776 reviews1 follower
January 11, 2019
And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new" Also he said, Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true,". And he said to me, "It will be done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. Revelation 21:5-6. It should be an expectation of both newer and older believers coming out of the LGBT community that they will experience the temptation to identify as something other than what Scripture has declared as true. Whether it is the identity of sin, the identity of the Church or the Identity of God, there is a real enemy that takes delight in our doubt. But the greatest weapon we have against him and even our own flesh is faith in God's word. By trusting it as having the final say, we will remain strong even when we are weak! Be Encouraged.

Identify is the key word and Jackie Hill's testimony reflects how she came to identify with Christ. Christ became her identity. That is key for all of us in walking with the Lord. What is your identity? What ever is taken from you, will you be able to go on? Will you find purpose? This is a question that we all must ask because the answer is life and death. Jackie's story starts with her childhood and the pain she had with her father. How her identity became wrapped up in the LGBT community and how God pursued her.

Please know that this is not a hate book but a testimony of love that was found. A love that our soul longs for and our hearts find rest. Jackie Hill profession is a poet and so you know she is speaks profoundly. I have included a link to youtube with her and her husband sharing the word. Her story cuts to the heart. She is transparent and she speaks truth! I Highly recommend.

A Special Thank you to B & H Books and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,014 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.