Start by marking “The New CSS Layout” as Want to Read:
The New CSS Layout

The New CSS Layout

(A Book Apart #24)

CSS Grid Layout will transform the way the you design and develop for the web—and Rachel Andrew will change the way you grok the spec. Learn to use Grid Layout within a system that includes existing methods to perform the tasks they were designed for—and take advantage of this pivotal moment in the evolution of layout.
Published October 10th 2017 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about The New CSS Layout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New CSS Layout

Start your review of The New CSS Layout
Kevin Garner
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a brief and compelling case for learning modern CSS layout. It contains concise examples and provides context while wasting no time.

This is a good reference book for web developers who have used hacks for achieving layout because of the way the author shows how to achieve like or better layouts with modern layout tools. It is also a good book for those who are new to web development, since it points one to the new tools and showcases the potential they have.

The author has an air of
Alfredo Sherman
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, non-fiction, web
Es justo el libro que necesitaba leer. Yo esperaba encontrar sólo una explicación del uso de las nuevas funciones Grid en CSS, pero me encontré con un compendio de métodos de alineación: table, float, flex y grid. No a profundidad, pero sí lo suficiente para entender que ninguna reemplaza a métodos anteriores, si no que cada una tiene un lugar especial en nuestro flujo de trabajo. Una guía única en su tipo para entender sus fortalezas y debilidades, y sobre todo, entender las implicaciones de su ...more
Radimir Bitsov
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book was a perfect companion to my learning phase of the CSS Grid specification. I liked how the author describes the history of the techniques we were using to create layouts on the web. There is a nice transition to the main part of the book where it covers everything you need to know to start playing around and creating web layouts with CSS Grid. I loved the last chapter which is dedicated to the future of the spec and how we can solidify our understanding on CSS Grid and CSS in general b ...more
Victor
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book, though short, goes through the history and reasons behind our current css. My css background is more of knowing the rules and not knowing why it’s done that way, and this book is quick to bring me up to speed as to the reasons behind the conventions, as well as the new css features available. Short and concise, love it.
Marcelo Barros
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
If you’ve ever wanted to build a complex layouts or create designs that just make sense, then this is the book for you. It takes it right back to basics and even dives a lot deeper for those looking to learn more.
Jason
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great concise overview of the newly supported implementation of CSS grid, it's uses, limitations, features and it's place within the CSS toolbox (how & when to use it). Excellent resource. ...more
Monika
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book with a hearty helping of technical info that I'll be referring back to as I learn these new CSS layout systems!
Stringy
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Concise explanations of the CSS layout options available today. Recommended for developers new to CSS, or who learned it years ago and want a quick catch-up on the brand new properties.
Richard
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve not been following along with the changes in CSS. This book was a chance for me to catch up. It was a joy to read. I followed along with the examples, and found myself going “ooh!” at some of the simple outcomes which I know previously were a PITA to achieve. I also appreciated the explanations and rules in play for tendering behaviour.
Candi
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I like the traditional way of learning from a book. I've been out of touch with the latest CSS, but this was a perfect catchup. It was great to see the comparison between Flexbox and CSS Grid. Thinking about the differences on a dimension level put things into perspective. A lot of the examples sparked ideas for current projects and solutions to problems we've been having for years.

I love the last few chapters. How to start using it and how to explain to clients why all browsers do no
Brenda
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Get a better understanding of CSS layouts from positioning and floats to flexbox and grids. Many examples and resources add to the value of this book.
Courtney
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Refactoring UI
  • Web Components in Action
  • Micro Frontends in Action
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness and Effectiveness
  • The $1 Prototype: Lean Mobile UX Design and Rapid Innovation for Material Design, iOS8, and RWD
  • Managing Projects with GNU Make
  • Learning Shell Scripting with Zsh
  • Animation at Work
  • Sudo Mastery: User Access Control for Real People
  • PAM Mastery (IT Mastery Book 10)
  • Tarsnap Mastery: Online Backups for the Truly Paranoid (IT Mastery Book 6)
  • Ed Mastery: The Standard Unix Text Editor (IT Mastery Book 13)
  • Programming TypeScript: Making Your JavaScript Applications Scale
  • Getting Started with Arduino
  • The Constitution of the United States of America
  • Three Tales
  • A Simple Heart

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Rachel Andrew is a web developer, speaker and author who lives in Bristol, UK. She is the editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine.

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers