Start by marking “Beard with Me (Winston Brothers, #6)” as Want to Read:
Beard with Me (Winston Brothers, #6)

Beard with Me

(Winston Brothers #6)

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  7,032 ratings  ·  1,079 reviews
‘Beard With Me’ is the origin story of Billy Winston and Scarlet St. Claire (aka Claire McClure) and is just the beginning of their epic love story.

No one is better at surviving than Scarlet St. Claire and making the best out of circumstances beyond her control is Scarlet’s specialty. In an apocalyptic situation, she’d be the last person on earth, hermitting like a pro, s
Published September 16th 2019 by Cipher-Naught

To ask other readers questions about Beard with Me, please sign up.
Penny Reid This book is 110k words (~400 pages) and is a full-length standalone love story, but is not a romance.
E-Reader Addict I would think you should. You learn their history and what went wrong between them. Maybe we’ll get some of their backstory in Billy and Claire’s book…moreI would think you should. You learn their history and what went wrong between them. Maybe we’ll get some of their backstory in Billy and Claire’s book, but it won’t be as much as what you’ll learn in Beard With Me!(less)

·  7,032 ratings  ·  1,079 reviews

Start your review of Beard with Me (Winston Brothers, #6)
Penny Reid
Aug 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)

★★ FREE IN KINDLE UNLIMITED ★★
AHHHHHH!!!! It’s been taking everything in me to keep this a secret and now I can finally share the Winston Brothers newsy news. The exciting news is as follows: for the FIRST TIME EVER, the ENTIRE Winston Brothers Series is available for #FREE in #KindleUnlimited!!!

Grab ALL 7 books in the series here: https://pennyreid.ninja/series/winsto...

** Audiobook Links **
Authors Direct ➤ http://bit.ly/2mhbaoJ
iTunes ➤ https://apple.co/2kY4BYe
Google Play ➤ http://bit.ly/2mcHTv
Christy
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-four-stars

photo IMG_4581_zpshxkhn2et.png

I’ve read every book in the Winston Brother’s series upon release. I’ve been reading this series for over 4 years now, and Billy Winston has always been the brother I’ve been most curious about. He's different than his brothers and sister. You can tell he’s carried more than they have, but you're never sure what or why. Finally, you find out… And let me tell you, this was not an easy read. At times, it was a lovely story about first love and made my heart so happy, at other times,
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FIVE +++++++ STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

Wow!! I wasn’t expecting this one to be so heartbreaking and where has Billy Winston been all my life?!! I want the next book, like YESTERDAY!!! How are we supposed to wait till November?! Up until now, Cletus had been my favorite Winston brother, but now I’m having a hard time choosing between him and Billy. I think that this is going to be the dilemma
Nicole Emerald Book Reviews  McCurdy
Beard With Me by Penny Reid

‘“Will you sing for me again, so I can find you?”’

I thought for sure that I would be in a complete mind melting, emotional brain fog of epic proportions after having finished this book, but somehow, at the end of it all, my mind is completely focused and eager to absorb more, my heart is admittedly still very, very tender but it also retains a vital shred of hope and yes, my thoughts are going a thousand different directions, yet they are all seemingly concentrated, to
Dilinna
Sep 24, 2017 marked it as to-read
Omg omg omg....I was jumping and jubilating till i saw the publication date has been moved to 2019😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭. Why Penny why???? I have been waiting for this book since 2016! I need my Claire and William Shakespare Winston's story right now!!!!!!

description

Miekenstein
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was not a fun and easy read.

I read it in six or seven chunks. I had to stop reading when I started to feel it getting too heavy. I took a break because I got really sad that Bethany died many, many books ago. I took a break because I overwhelmed with sympathy for Scarlet and the other children in the book raised by terrible human beings. I even took a break for poor Lea.

Mostly, I took breaks to try and figure out how to get fictional Lisbeth Salander from Sweden to Green Valley, T
Wendy'sThoughts
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Penny Reid Fans, Romance
5 What Needed To Be Told Stars
* * * * * Spoiler Free
WHAT, WHAT, Beard With Me Only 99 Pennies Until July 1st!

One of the amazing talents of Penny Reid is to create worlds that feel real to the reader. She has this way of making us believe wherever her books take place, they are places we would find if we looked hard enough. I have no idea if there is a real Green Valley...but as long as Penny Reid writes about the Winston Brothers and those who live there, I will believe.

Now with this in mind, M
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Cletus had the decency to squirm in his seat. "Lie is such an ugly word. I prefer fiction.”

I was the only child of Razor Dennings that he’d claimed. His recognition of me as his spawn meant I would forever be followed by a cloud in the shape of a tornado with horns.

Billy Winston had somehow tapped into the thermostat of my body and set it to Arizona in the summer. I’d never been to Arizona, but I was pretty sure they had those days where it got so hot the thermometers broke.

As my
Anna Banana

My feelings at this very moment? Well lets just say when I finished this book I tossed my kindle to the side and felt...lots of anger. Anger for a lot of different reasons. Anger for these characters and what they'd been through but also anger and frustration for how this ends, for the reason for why Claire and Billy are not together, FOR ALMOST 20 FREAKING YEARS. SO yeah, one could say I'm feeling mighty pissed.

I'm trying to calm down so bare with me as I try to write my thoughts out in as uns
Heidi Hutchinson
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf, favorite
I understood, to a certain extent, what I was going into.

For a while now I've watched Penny's tweets and warnings go by as she tried to tell us that this addition to the Winston series would be different. Not a romance, no hea, it would likely hurt, and make us cry.

So I prepared accordingly and had tissues on hand and a fluffy dog nearby for hugging.

I have watched readers beg for more of Billy. Not me. I was and always have been a Drew Runous loyalist. I didn't care much for Billy. I didn't dis
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Bumping for the blog! Check out the excerpt & enter in the giveaway for the set of Beard Brothers paperbacks that are signed by the author herself! CLICK HERE

God gave us free will so that we'll stumble and learn how to pick ourselves back up. But He also gave us folks who love us, to clear away the obstacles before we trip and fall.

Let's just start with the obvious, this is the prequel to the long, long, looooonnnnnggggg awaited Billy-n-Claire HEA that everyone and their cousin has been waiting
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Beard With Me
Series: Winston Brothers #5.5
Author: Penny Reid
Release date: September 16, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: general fiction

After finishing Beard With Me, I struggled with my feelings but decided to go with four stars. I wanted to give four stars very badly because in some ways I enjoyed my time back in Green Valley very much. It really kills me to admit to myself that for me, I liked it overall, but didn't love it. So I've adjusted to a more accurate 3.5 stars.

My anticipation leve
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4-4,5 stars

This is an emotional read, I was aching this was an intense story. The Winston family is by far my favorite!I love this family and each one of the boys.

"If the soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts, then my soul was Scarlet."

This wasn't an easy read but it was intense and I loved it!Scarlet is so strong and I wanted to hug her. Billy intrigued me, a lot and I loved him.Billy and Scarlet shows how is the first love.They take us in an emotional and sad roller coaster.

I cann
Curlyhairlass19
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I need some time to just sit in silence and take all this in. To finally know the truth as to what really happened between Billy and Scarlet has shaken me to my core. Penny spared nothing. There were times my heart swelled with butterflies over first love feels. There were times when bile would rise up in my throat or tears would cloud my eyes to where I couldn’t see. One thing I know for certain is that Billy Winston owns my heart. I now fully understand him from all the other books, and I just ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

I’ve been dying for Billy’s book since I first ever saw him on the page. I love a misunderstood brooding hero, and his story seemed filled with the angst I crave in a romance novel. Now, five years later, we get two Billy books and not just one. I was ECSTATIC. I even held off reading until the second book was published, I don’t know how I was able to practice that much self-control.

Beard With Me is the first part of a two part story about Billy and Scarlet. This takes place in their t
Em Lost In Books
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, 3-star, 2010-19
Not what I expected but it was likable.
FMABookReviews
"I knew, with absolute certainty, I'd dream of her and her spirit and her voice for the rest of my life. The belief was soul-deep, in my bones and muscles and skin, but particularly in my heart."

Reid's ability to “flip the script” and write this breathtaking, angst-filled story was both shocking and expected. Her talent has been proven time and again. With each book she sets the bar higher as she pours more of herself into her characters and their stories.

'Beard With Me' was overwhe
Hollis
Here it is, the highly anticipated origin story about Billy and Claire (Scarlet), easily the angstiest ship in the Winston Brothers series. And wow, there's a lot to unpack here.

I wished she'd stop making everything so hard. I wished she'd just let me take care of her. Tricking her into doing the right thing, the smart thing, made me feel like an asshole.

A lot of this story worked for me and also a lot of it didn't. I was mostly just going through the motions (sad motions because there is some
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)

I have been a longtime fan of the Winston brothers’ shenanigans, but I wasn’t sure what to expect from a story that goes back in time to when they were teens. What I found is that Beard With Me enhanced my appreciation of things I already knew, and it spoils nothing for newbies to the series. It isn’t just about the beginning of Billy Winston and Scarlet St. Claire’s complicated relationship; it’s also the heart of the loving Winston household.

Billy is the last brother to have his turn
Elle Kennedy

“My heart feels broken and yet so full. This might just arguably be Penny Reid's best work yet.” - The Review Loft

From NEW YORK TIMES Bestselling author, Penny Reid, comes the beginning of an epic love story. GRAB IT NOW!

'Beard With Me’ is the origin story of Billy Winston and Scarlet St. Claire (aka Claire McClure) and is just the beginning of their epic love story.

Nicola
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Penny Reid rewinds the years for our latest visit to Green Valley, taking us back to a time when Claire McClure is Scarlet St. Claire, Billy Winston the star quarterback, Roscoe believes in fairies, and Cletus is just...Cletus.

description It felt like the beginning of something terrible and beautiful and dangerous and wonderful.”

For any lover of the Winston Brothers series, Beard with Me is a must-read, piecing together the puzzle that is Billy and Claire. And whilst we all knew they had history, I wasn
Dali
Penny Reid gifts her readers with a love story that encompasses all the feels. It had humor, melancholy and lot of heart and heartbreak. I found myself both wanting to quickly devour and slowly enjoy this very beguiling beginnings story.

At the tender age of fourteen, Scarlet St. Clair has found a way to semi-escape her father’s sadistic rule. Who cares that she’s living in a tent, doesn’t have running water, and enough money to buy new clothes or food? She’s made sure she’s invisible to eve
maggieandteddy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
omg. what am I gonna say? Billy !!!
My heart. So many questions answered. Now I have more questions.
In previous books, I knew almost nothing of Scarlet. There were very brief hints. But I wanted more! I was so focused on Ashley and her brothers.
I was so concerned for Scarlet. Billy and the Winstons had her back. Who had theirs?
I tried to brace myself while reading the back story. I really enjoyed the funny moments, but I was totally shocked at the evil.
There's a lot of heart too. Mama Bethany
Sabrina
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
NOW LIVE!
Amazon US * Amazon UK

I'm very conflicted about this book. Because I enjoyed it for the most part, but I don't honestly think I got the point of it. While I was reading I was left wondering where exactly this story was going to lead. It's such a time jump from this book to where Billy and Claire end up when we see them in the present time in the Winston Brothers books so now I just have a lot of questions. Which I'm assuming will be answered in their full novel.

In this book Scarlet is f
Bookphenomena (Micky)
…and exhale. I feel like I’ve held my breath for the last 30 minutes reading this book. It’s been a journey, beautiful and tough in equal measure and I am left needing more from Billy and Scarlet, so much more. When will their next book be (rhetorical question).

The warning at the beginning of the book is right, there are triggers for days but call me up to the challenge and in I went. Clever Penny lulled me in with ease for a while until my adrenaline started pumping, my eyes filled and my heart
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This story contains all the fun and humor that is typical of a Penny Reid book. It also contains much more. In the past, we got glimpses of the depth of emotions Ms. Reid could reach when we understood the relationship between the Winston kids and their mother. Furthermore we gained an understanding of the opposite whenever Darrell was involved. While those relationships and subsequent trickling effects evoked emotion, this story - Scarlet’s story, touched me at my core.

To say that Scarlet had
Stacie
5+ "Strength and Sacrifice" Stars!

I have tears in my eyes. This book was everything I wanted and everything it needed to be if you love The Winstons. It was like grout filling in and holding all the pieces together. It's mostly Billy's and Scarlet's origin story, if you will, but Cleatus plays a big roll and you find out why Billy hated Jethro so much. I fell hard all over again for the Winston family and I was so happy to really get to met Bethany. I loved every single page.

Billy... I just lov
Stacey is Sassy
I needed it…but, maybe not all of it

I’m feeling battered and bruised after reading Beard with Me. For a lot of the story, I was contemplating just skipping to the end to get the info I needed. Thank goodness I didn’t read just that ending. I cried A LOT in the last chapter. The biggest problem and why I contemplated giving up, is that this story is pretty much YA. I’m not a fan of YA with all the high school drama, hormones, finding yourself and growing confidence in your decisions…stuff. I need
Bookgasms Book Blog
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ratula
Blog Tour Post (live 10.4): http://bit.ly/2mKmqeh

I have no words to really describe Beard With Me other than magical, endlessly loving and pure heartbreak. This story was absolutely magnificent and full of poignant feels and typical word sorcery that Penny Reid is known for. It is so smartly written and engaging that I did not want to stop reading for a minute. But it is also an emotional maelstrom where I was torn in so many different directions. I laughed, I cried and I weeped but moreover I w
Kat
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
Oh this book. I have been wanting Scarlet and Billy’s origin story forever. I knew it was going to be painful to read. The motorcycle club in Green Valley is not written as a sweet, romantic thing, and this delved into the backstory of the Winston’s father Darrel, into Scarlet’s abuse at Razor’s hands, and into her homelessness in high school. Lots of triggers in this one. Lots of characters I’m super hoping Cletus kills later in the series! (Maybe that makes me horrible?) The evolution of Billy ...more

• Baking Me Crazy (Donner Bakery #1)
  • Happy Trail (Park Ranger, #1)
  • Love in Due Time (Green Valley Library, #1)
  • Stud Muffin (Donner Bakery, #2)
  • Crime and Periodicals (Green Valley Library #2)
  • No Whisk No Reward (Donner Bakery, #3)
  • My Bare Lady (Scorned Women's Society, #1)
  • Prose Before Bros (Green Valley Library, #3)
  • Shelf Awareness (Green Valley Library, #4)
  • Code of Conduct (Cipher Security, #1)
  • Weight Expectations (Cipher Office, #1)
  • Beef Cake (Donner Bakery, #4)
  • Sticking to the Script (Cipher Office #2)
  • Batter of Wits (Donner Bakery, #5)
  • Stranger Ranger (Park Ranger #2)
  • The Treble With Men (Scorned Women's Society, #2)
  • Carpentry and Cocktails (Green Valley Library, #5)
  • Been There Done That (Leffersbee, #1)
Sign up for the newsletter of awesome: www.pennyreid.ninja/newsletter

Penny Reid is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Best Selling Author of the Winston Brothers, Knitting in the City, Rugby, and Hypothesis series. She used to spend her days writing federal grant proposals as a biomedical researcher, but now she just writes books. She’s also a full time mom to three diminutive

Winston Brothers (6 books)
  • Truth or Beard (Winston Brothers, #1)
  • Grin and Beard It (Winston Brothers, #2)
  • Beard Science (Winston Brothers, #3)
  • Beard in Mind (Winston Brothers, #4)
  • Dr. Strange Beard (Winston Brothers, #5)
  • Beard Necessities (Winston Brothers, #7)

Articles featuring this book

Autumn is a great time for reading, especially for those who fall in love with books about falling in love. Every month our team takes a look at...
“Beau could talk a policeman into committing armed robbery.” 2 likes
“Will you please refrain from shining your high beams at my retinas. You've blinded me.” 2 likes