Start by marking “The Hunted” as Want to Read:
The Hunted

The Hunted

From Miami to Detroit to Hollywood, Elmore Leonard has carved out a classic turf and populated it with unforgettable schemers, wiseguys, misfits, and hit men. In The Hunted, Leonard goes international, as a man named Rosen runs from some Motor City mobsters all the way to Israel and a U.S. Marine finds a perfect little war. Al Rosen is lying in bed with a beautiful ...more
Unknown Binding
Published March 6th 2006 by Not Avail (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunted

Start your review of The Hunted
Thomas
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leonard
4 stars for a well done thriller. I have been reading Elmore Leonard books for 40 years. Now, with the help of Goodreads, I am reading the ones that I missed. I borrowed this book on inter library loan and read it in 3 days. The blurb explains that Al Rosen is hiding in Israel after testifying against US mobsters. Except that they find him and are trying to kill him. A US marine, stationed as a US Embassy Guard, comes to his aid.
What happens makes for an enjoyable read.
Cbj
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot remember the last time I finished a book within a day. After reading, Mr.Majestyk last month, I ordered eight Elmore Leonard novels over the last week. The Hunted was the first one to arrive.

Al Rosen is hanging out at luxury hotels in Israel, doing what rich forty five year old single men do - drinking and picking up women. He is also hiding out. After a night in bed with a beautiful American woman, he saves people from a hotel fire and inadvertently gets his photograph in the papers.
Jamie
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two minutes in and I wanted to kiss this book on the mouth. Forget pretentious, stilted, and boring. How do these other books try to write twice the story and only come away with half?

It’s an early one, so more straightforward but doesn’t suffer from it a bit. I’ve said something to this effect before: I will read Elmore write about blistering standoffs and unlikely allies all day long.

Also loved: how, as usual, as always, bring on the criminals and misfits but the only unforgivable crime is a
Still
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Crime-Thrillers
Recommended to Still by: I came of age reading Elmore Leonard
For sure this was the first time I'd read this early non-Western Elmore Leonard novel.
Basically this is one of his Western noirs set in then-modern day Israel.

It's kind of amusing - find the "hero"/protagonist in this one before page 100.
You won't even meet him until somewhere around page 56.
Like many early Leonard's, you're introduced to a score of characters before the actual plot unfolds.
You're almost halfway through the novel before it finally gets started.

No complaints here.

It's still
Craig Pittman
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The other day I heard Elmore Leonard had suffered a stroke, so when I had to visit a bookstore to buy a gift, I found myself browsing the section with all of his books on display and thinking back fondly about all the ones I'd really enjoyed. But then I saw an unfamiliar title: "The Hunted." I picked it up and checked the copyright date: 1977. I thought I had read nearly all of Leonard's thrillers, but here was one I'd somehow missed, so I bought it.

I'm glad I did. Chronologically it falls after
Daniel Villines
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I like best about Leonard is his consistency. I find it hard to believe that my attention could not be held by any of his books. His ability to write characters that are true to themselves before holding fast to any moral ideal is what makes his characters real and interesting. This is what I have come to expect from Leonard and The Hunted is one more case-in-point.

The story brings the reader to Israel in the late 1970s, however, with only a few exceptions, the setting is timeless. In
Tom Marcinko
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Elmore fixation continues. I used to read him too fast, I think. If you blink you miss something—plot and nuance. Also, I love the way he accomplishes a lot as a writer without seeming to be doing much at all.
Favoring the earlier novels and reading my way forward, gradually. I expect to read them all.
This one was set in Israel.

~“It’s hot here.” “Yes, it’s nice, isn’t it?”~

~“He’s going to have a heart attack,” Davis said. “I hope so,” Tali said.~

~Mel Bandy took his shower in 823. It would
Ensiform
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Al Rosen, a businessman hiding out in Israel from some criminals he testified against, is found when his picture is printed Stateside. As three killers hone in on Rosen, he meets with a decorated Marine and Vietnam vet who makes Rosen’s safety his business. It’s an exciting action story, interlaced with ruminations on age and confidence and people. And of course it’s liberally sprinkled with that dry, deadpan Leonard dialogue. The ending, unlike that of other Leonard books I’ve read, was just ...more
Jim
Overall, this was another excellent Leonard story, but it seemed to go on a bit too long. I don't really know anything I'd cut out, though. There was certainly plenty of twisty action all the way up to a perfect ending. Great characters. Leonard likes to have a minimum of them & sketches them out perfectly, then slowly grows them into full fledged beings that just obey their natures & write the rest of the story themselves. Fantastic.

So a 3.5. Great entertainment & well read.
Carol Masciola
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good pulpy 70s thriller with hit men, explosives, exotic locales.
Jrobertus
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Elmore Leonard books for casual enjoyment. THe Hunted was great fun from the master of fast patter. In this story an American businessman of dubious past is hiding from the Detroit mob as As Rosen, in Israel. A chance encounter brings his whereabouts to the bad guy's attention and they come after him. A loyal Israeli girl who works for Rosen, and a U.S. Marine on leave from embassy duty aid him in his efforts to survive. The plot is interesting, the sense of place is intriguing, and as ...more
Peter Poole
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, vivid read that got me into Elmore Leonard's unique, slick, succinct and accessible style of prose. A taut tale of crime and manhunting, set in Israel but using the place as an interesting locale rather than piling on the politics. One slight continuity error with a military officer's rucksack is the kind of glitch you spot in films, but can be overlooked - see if you spot it!
Steve
Set in Israel, this novel sucks you in and won't let go. Al Rosen is on the lam, anonymous in Tel Aviv, until his cover is blown and assassins pursue him and the money he's being paid by his company. How does he get away? The story is fun, and you'll be left wanting more.
Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson
3.7/5

The premise feels like something that could have been a classic Eastwood vehicle from the late 70's, early 80's: a man named Al Rosen, who doesn't want to be found is found by winding up on the wrong side of a camera lens at the wrong time, and soon enough, some figures from his past catch wind of his location in Israel and set out to find him and kill him.

Oh yeah, and there's a big cat-and-mouse game revolving around his final payout from a company that he used to own--a briefcase full of
Deanna Anderson
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The back blurb of this book is a little misleading, I thought it would have an element of romance because the back says Rosen, the main character, thought he left the danger behind 3 years ago...but now its back and after a divorcee he has met. Well, that's inaccurate...the divorcee has a very small, minor role in the book and she is never in danger except for the very beginning, and that is a case of wrong place, wrong time and not a direct attack on her.

Otherwise, this story was good. It is
Ken Doggett
This, to me, was a rather mediocre Elmore Leonard novel. It takes place in the Israeli desert, and went on and on with various degrees of back story and heavy characterization dropped in here and there. One chapter in the middle was entirely back story, filling in some of the hero's past without really adding anything to the story. The action scenes were believable and well done, though not particularly special, as the story built toward the climax. It finally ends after it seemed that it could ...more
태호 신
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leonard prides himself on his invisibility and this one's a good example why. Simple, elegant and fun, with moments of surprising depth. I can read him all day.
Abby
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast read. I'd never read Elmore Leonard before, and now I know why he was lauded.
Jonathan Shell
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

The Hunted is one of the early non-western novels by Elmore Leonard but it has all the right moves of an Elmore Leonard novel. Leonard writes character driven novels about ordinary people with a variety of quirky behaviors and habits which makes them interesting. He also gives his bad guys an element of style.

The Hunted is a story which Leonard lets out a little bit at a time. Al Rosen is a former businessman living in Israel running through various flings with
Chris Gager
First audio book ever. Could signal a trend as I'm not getting any younger! My adopted(from the transfer station) stereo(radio,cd and tape player) is only semi-functional and has decided to seize up for a while so I'll have to borrow my old Sony radio/tape player from the workshop. Thing's about 40 years old! Meanwhile the "book" is pretty good and the reader is adept the different voices. The cover of "my" edition is not represented in Goodreads. That happens a lot with oldies!

I'm about halfway
Frostling
Elmore Leonard is always praised for his sharp, witty dialogues and this novel provides exactly that. My main concern was that there would be long talks, going on and on, where everything is resolved with words, a bit like Oscar Wilde with an Uzi. Thankfully is wasn’t like that. There is even a lot of action/description and even a touch of philosophy - although some might call it cheap…

To resume the book in a few words, The Hunted is the story of a man pursued by the Detroit mob. With its
A Shaskan
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because it's by Elmore Leonard, it basically goes without saying that The Hunted is a well-written, funny, and gripping novel with very strong characterization and dialogue. But it's a strange book in his canon, for several reasons. It's set in Israel, of all places, and although it's marketed as a crime novel, by the end it becomes clear that it really fits in best with his early Westerns. So, it's a Western set in Israel. Another strange thing is that it has two main characters, and (view ...more
Ryan Lankford
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This being the second novel by Elmore Leonard that I have read, I enjoyed it thoroughly more than the first. Leonard's fast paced story and constantly changing perspectives make for a quick read. Although I am not a big fan of his abrupt endings, I can appreciate the way it leaves more for the imagination.
Andrew
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most truly great men, Mr Leonard was born on October 11th. He wrote crime fiction the way it should be done, dialogue that Tarantino dreams about, characters with more balls than a bingo game and stories that flow seamlessly. While The Hunted isn't among his best, it is still a very cool 70's crime caper.
Godzilla
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2009
I loved the chracterisations, and the opening was sharp and pacy. However I felt the flow disappeared about half way through, and the denouement was disappointing, with a rushed and incomplete feeling to it.
James
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2014
Leonard is great for listening to because of his hard boiled style, but I didn't care for the narrator on this one. Also, the book lacked the humorous tone found in his best novels.
Tyson Adams
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
When hiding, try not to get your photo in the newspaper.

Al Rosen is living the dream. He has retired early, he has money, he's charming and ladies love him, and he's hiding in Israel from the Detroit mob. An evening with a woman he has just met ends in a hotel fire and his picture in the paper. By the end of the week, a hit team are in the country. But he can't leave yet, not without his lawyer handing over his money, and his lady friend returning his passport. To survive he'll need all the help
Brad Bell
At this point is there any argument in disputing that Elmore Leonard is the king of crime fiction? Seriously every book I read of his and I've read quite a few it just further cements his place as a master crime writer.

The story of Al Rosen, a man hiding in Israel after testifying on some mob guys and the Marine who helps Rosen go on the offensive instead of running from the hit men who want him dead. All the elements of Leonard are here. Smart and dangerous villain, heroes who just want to
Doug
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
(I'm behind on my Goodreads reviews. I finished this book a few months ago, so this review will be brief. Elmore Leonard sort of gets rated on a curve; for another writer, this might be 4 stars.)

"The Hunted" is good but not great Leonard, but it's still pretty good. The main distinction with this book is the setting: Israel. So, we see bits of the country -- though most of the characters are Americans: a man in hiding, his lawyer, a mobster and a couple of hit men, a tourist, and the hero, a
John
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Elmore Leonard fan and have read 70% of his books. This was my least favorite. I found it overly long, which is never my experience with his other books. My rating probably would have been higher if Frank Muller had read the book and not Mark Hammer. Mark's pace was so slow, I almost fell asleep on numerous occasions.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • The Glass Key
  • The Dain Curse
  • Wartime: Understanding and Behavior in the Second World War
  • December 6
  • The Professional
  • The Way Home
  • The Free
  • Resurrection Men (Inspector Rebus, #13)
  • Under Western Eyes
  • Hit Man (Keller, #1)
  • A Firing Offense (Nick Stefanos #1)
  • Echoes of Silence: A Novel of Nazi Germany
  • Ship It!
  • Operating Systems: Three Easy Pieces
  • Sassinak (Planet Pirates, #1)
  • Columbo: The Helter Skelter Murders
  • House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into ...more