Start by marking “The Hunted” as Want to Read:
The Hunted

The Hunted

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  914 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
From Miami to Detroit to Hollywood, Elmore Leonard has carved out a classic turf and populated it with unforgettable schemers, wiseguys, misfits, and hit men. In The Hunted, Leonard goes international, as a man named Rosen runs from some Motor City mobsters all the way to Israel and a U.S. Marine finds a perfect little war. Al Rosen is lying in bed with a beautiful divorcé ...more
Unknown Binding
Published March 6th 2006 by Not Avail (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunted

Jamie
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Two minutes in and I wanted to kiss this book on the mouth. Forget pretentious, stilted, and boring. How do these other books try to write twice the story and only come away with half?

It’s an early one, so more straightforward but doesn’t suffer from it a bit. I’ve said something to this effect before: I will read Elmore write about blistering standoffs and unlikely allies all day long.

Also loved: how, as usual, as always, bring on the criminals and misfits but the only unforgivable crime is a
Craig Pittman
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The other day I heard Elmore Leonard had suffered a stroke, so when I had to visit a bookstore to buy a gift, I found myself browsing the section with all of his books on display and thinking back fondly about all the ones I'd really enjoyed. But then I saw an unfamiliar title: "The Hunted." I picked it up and checked the copyright date: 1977. I thought I had read nearly all of Leonard's thrillers, but here was one I'd somehow missed, so I bought it.

I'm glad I did. Chronologically it falls after
Daniel Villines
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I like best about Leonard is his consistency. I find it hard to believe that my attention could not be held by any of his books. His ability to write characters that are true to themselves before holding fast to any moral ideal is what makes his characters real and interesting. This is what I have come to expect from Leonard and The Hunted is one more case-in-point.

The story brings the reader to Israel in the late 1970s, however, with only a few exceptions, the setting is timeless. In
Jim
Overall, this was another excellent Leonard story, but it seemed to go on a bit too long. I don't really know anything I'd cut out, though. There was certainly plenty of twisty action all the way up to a perfect ending. Great characters. Leonard likes to have a minimum of them & sketches them out perfectly, then slowly grows them into full fledged beings that just obey their natures & write the rest of the story themselves. Fantastic.

So a 3.5. Great entertainment & well read.
Carol Masciola
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good pulpy 70s thriller with hit men, explosives, exotic locales.
Tom Marcinko
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Elmore fixation continues. I used to read him too fast, I think. If you blink you miss something—plot and nuance. Also, I love the way he accomplishes a lot as a writer without seeming to be doing much at all.
Favoring the earlier novels and reading my way forward, gradually. I expect to read them all.
This one was set in Israel.

~“It’s hot here.” “Yes, it’s nice, isn’t it?”~

~“He’s going to have a heart attack,” Davis said. “I hope so,” Tali said.~

~Mel Bandy took his shower in 823. It would b
Ensiform
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Al Rosen, a businessman hiding out in Israel from some criminals he testified against, is found when his picture is printed Stateside. As three killers hone in on Rosen, he meets with a decorated Marine and Vietnam vet who makes Rosen’s safety his business. It’s an exciting action story, interlaced with ruminations on age and confidence and people. And of course it’s liberally sprinkled with that dry, deadpan Leonard dialogue. The ending, unlike that of other Leonard books I’ve read, was just pe ...more
Ken Doggett
This, to me, was a rather mediocre Elmore Leonard novel. It takes place in the Israeli desert, and went on and on with various degrees of back story and heavy characterization dropped in here and there. One chapter in the middle was entirely back story, filling in some of the hero's past without really adding anything to the story. The action scenes were believable and well done, though not particularly special, as the story built toward the climax. It finally ends after it seemed that it could ...more
Jrobertus
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Elmore Leonard books for casual enjoyment. THe Hunted was great fun from the master of fast patter. In this story an American businessman of dubious past is hiding from the Detroit mob as As Rosen, in Israel. A chance encounter brings his whereabouts to the bad guy's attention and they come after him. A loyal Israeli girl who works for Rosen, and a U.S. Marine on leave from embassy duty aid him in his efforts to survive. The plot is interesting, the sense of place is intriguing, and as us ...more
Peter Poole
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, vivid read that got me into Elmore Leonard's unique, slick, succinct and accessible style of prose. A taut tale of crime and manhunting, set in Israel but using the place as an interesting locale rather than piling on the politics. One slight continuity error with a military officer's rucksack is the kind of glitch you spot in films, but can be overlooked - see if you spot it!
Steve
Set in Israel, this novel sucks you in and won't let go. Al Rosen is on the lam, anonymous in Tel Aviv, until his cover is blown and assassins pursue him and the money he's being paid by his company. How does he get away? The story is fun, and you'll be left wanting more.
Deanna Anderson
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The back blurb of this book is a little misleading, I thought it would have an element of romance because the back says Rosen, the main character, thought he left the danger behind 3 years ago...but now its back and after a divorcee he has met. Well, that's inaccurate...the divorcee has a very small, minor role in the book and she is never in danger except for the very beginning, and that is a case of wrong place, wrong time and not a direct attack on her.

Otherwise, this story was good. It is de
Chris Gager
First audio book ever. Could signal a trend as I'm not getting any younger! My adopted(from the transfer station) stereo(radio,cd and tape player) is only semi-functional and has decided to seize up for a while so I'll have to borrow my old Sony radio/tape player from the workshop. Thing's about 40 years old! Meanwhile the "book" is pretty good and the reader is adept the different voices. The cover of "my" edition is not represented in Goodreads. That happens a lot with oldies!

I'm about halfway
Frostling
Elmore Leonard is always praised for his sharp, witty dialogues and this novel provides exactly that. My main concern was that there would be long talks, going on and on, where everything is resolved with words, a bit like Oscar Wilde with an Uzi. Thankfully is wasn’t like that. There is even a lot of action/description and even a touch of philosophy - although some might call it cheap…

To resume the book in a few words, The Hunted is the story of a man pursued by the Detroit mob. With its succes
Andrew
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most truly great men, Mr Leonard was born on October 11th. He wrote crime fiction the way it should be done, dialogue that Tarantino dreams about, characters with more balls than a bingo game and stories that flow seamlessly. While The Hunted isn't among his best, it is still a very cool 70's crime caper.
Godzilla
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, crime
I loved the chracterisations, and the opening was sharp and pacy. However I felt the flow disappeared about half way through, and the denouement was disappointing, with a rushed and incomplete feeling to it.
태호 신
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leonard prides himself on his invisibility and this one's a good example why. Simple, elegant and fun, with moments of surprising depth. I can read him all day.
Abby
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast read. I'd never read Elmore Leonard before, and now I know why he was lauded.
James
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2014
Leonard is great for listening to because of his hard boiled style, but I didn't care for the narrator on this one. Also, the book lacked the humorous tone found in his best novels.
Brad Bell
At this point is there any argument in disputing that Elmore Leonard is the king of crime fiction? Seriously every book I read of his and I've read quite a few it just further cements his place as a master crime writer.

The story of Al Rosen, a man hiding in Israel after testifying on some mob guys and the Marine who helps Rosen go on the offensive instead of running from the hit men who want him dead. All the elements of Leonard are here. Smart and dangerous villain, heroes who just want to sett
James Castle
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because it's by Elmore Leonard, it basically goes without saying that The Hunted is a well-written, funny, and gripping novel with very strong characterization and dialogue. But it's a strange book in his canon, for several reasons. It's set in Israel, of all places, and although it's marketed as a crime novel, by the end it becomes clear that it really fits in best with his early Westerns. So, it's a Western set in Israel. Another strange thing is that it has two main characters, and (view spoi ...more
Ryan Lankford
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This being the second novel by Elmore Leonard that I have read, I enjoyed it thoroughly more than the first. Leonard's fast paced story and constantly changing perspectives make for a quick read. Although I am not a big fan of his abrupt endings, I can appreciate the way it leaves more for the imagination.
Adam
(First read 1988)
A perfectly crafted, thoroughly entertaining thriller. In the heritage of Chandler and Hammett, but classy without the smartarseness. The setting in Israel in the late 70s is unusual and interesting.
Richard Schaefer
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start, but it really picks up momentum in the second half. Leonard definitely borrowed from this when he wrote Pronto some decades later, switching Israel for Italy and one Marine from Harlen County for a US Marshal from... Harlen County.
Chad Olson
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A marine tries to protect a snitch from being killed
Cat Eye55
Not The Best

I didn't enjoy this book very much. I felt it was a little contrived and I was glad when it ended.
Herb Hastings
A little dated but still an interesting page turner.
wally
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leonard
didn't elmore leonard receive recently...like this week...some award?...or maybe it was last week? thought i saw something in the paper about it...i forget the award.

and...having just finished Richard Stark's...The Hunter...i could not resist reading this one, next...another elmore leonard, anyway...#? #7-8? from him for me?

heh! stark's story has two./..three counting the gun...silhouettes on the cover, a woman...a man...the gun. this one has a man-shape target on the cover...might want to re-th
Johnny
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Elmore Leonard has this fascinating ability to capture that type of person with no moral scruples whatsoever. In fact, most of his stories have more than one such person and several of them experience poetic justice. Of course, enough of them get away with what they do that you can never be certain of the eventual outcome. In this novel, the Al Rosen (no relation to the former Cleveland Indians star) with a price on his head has been “on the lam” for many years. At the start of the story, he mak ...more
James
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite sure what to expect with The Hunted, it being by far the earliest of Elmore Leonard's books that I've read, in addition to being one of his somewhat lesser known ones, but the style that I'm familiar with (from Glitz and Get Shorty) was definitely there.

I got confused at a few points regarding setting and geography, but I'm guessing that's my lack of experience with big cities, let alone Israel, more than anything. In addition, I couldn't help but think about Davis (my pick for t
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
  • Red on Red
  • Stray Bullets, Vol. 2: Somewhere Out West
  • Faithless: Tales of Transgression
  • Greed
  • Area 10
  • Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev: Ultimate Collection, Book 3
  • Prizzi's Honor
  • Diamond Dust (Peter Diamond, #7)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • South of Heaven
  • Women and Other Animals: Stories
  • Duplicate Keys
  • Freezer Burn
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into m ...more
More about Elmore Leonard

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)