Start by marking “The Armour of Contempt” as Want to Read:
The Armour of Contempt

The Armour of Contempt (Gaunt's Ghosts #10)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,700 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The Imperial crusade, including Gaunt's Ghosts, are sent back to the planet Gereon to join forces with the Imperial defenders and liberate the planet from Chaos. However, the brutality of the 'liberation' pitches Gaunt into opposition with his commanders, who believe victory must be achieved at any price, no matter how cruel.

Published December 12th 2006 by Games Workshop(uk) (first published October 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Armour of Contempt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Armour of Contempt

Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abnett's books flow over me like an unstoppable river of action, characters full of pathos, and a world dripping in grim reality. Every Marine oriented book, or Guard book I have read drives home the fact that the soldiers of the Imperium all plan on dying in the service of the Emporer...that there will never be peace or time after war. All they can do is enjoy those times between, or their service, therein lies their humanity.

The lost series is caked in this humanity. This book, the return to
Razael
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me 2 days to read it. Unfortunately not even close to masterpieces like Traitor General.
Jacob
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-scifi, scifi
In this tenth book of the Gaunt's Ghosts series the author manages to take you back to war as if it is the first time it has been faced. An incredible story.
Simon
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Rather disappointing I thought. Bitty. Not much story. And the now cliched rather abrupt ending that leaves a major character dead that is becoming a hallmark of the series.

First one of these for a while I've not loved though.

It just sort of... ends on a pretty massive downer on all fronts.
Adam Whitehead
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Crusade armies have identified their next target: the Chaos-held world of Gereon. Ibram Gaunt and a dozen of his best troops spent a year and a half on Gereon fighting the archenemy, and the Ghosts are in the vanguard of the liberation effort. Unfortunately, as the battle for Gereon rages on an apocalyptic scale, Gaunt gradually learns there are extenuating reasons for this invasion, reasons that are related to his prior mission to the planet...

The Armour of Contempt is the tenth Gaunt's Gho
Tepintzin
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been reading the Gaunt's Ghosts novels and enjoying them well enough, giving them three stars each...but this one. THIS one took my heart and stomped on it. We finally get the Guard from the point of view of probably the most common dog-soldier, the new recruit who gets tossed onto the battlefield with a sadistic Commissar and equally clueless comrades. This story goes along beside our usual suspects fighting for the liberation of Gereon. "Armour of Contempt" has some of Abnett's best writi ...more
Daniel O'Brien
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This instalment leads us back towards the Ghosts I know and love. Brutal, but logical, consequences. Decent characterisations, solid pacing, free-flowing prose, superb world-building. It did drag in a couple of parts, though I suspect that was less a fault of Abnett's pacing and more the fact that I'm trying to cram the last few books in so that I hit my Goodreads challenge for the year...

It was also a little too heavy-handed on the sledge-hammer evils of the Imperium. At least in comparison to
Iri
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k
2.5 / 3

I didnt enjoy this book as I did the previous one. It was like some kind of a bad trade. One character is killed because other needs to show up. I would be ok with that except the repetitive flow of trades in this particular story. Pitty. So was the lack of something like... core of the story. Kind of disappointment. So sad.
Alejandro
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
More of the same
Vinh-Thang
Ended with a whimper. A really well-executed whimper, but still a whimper ...
Dan Findlay-Robinson
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As ever heroism and heartbreak in equal measure. But what do you expect from a return to Gereon

Another great instalment from Abnett
Ponge
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great book in the series.
Mhoram
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Gereon resists.

Gaunt and his Ghosts are returning to Gereon, and this time, they bring not assassination, but liberation. The fifth army has been diverted to re-capture Gereon in an audacious plan by Warmaster Macaroth to improve morale by reclaiming worlds that were previously judged beyond salvation. Gaunt's mission is to make contact with the Gereon Resistance cells and help coordinate their role in the liberation. Meanwhile, the newly-inducted Dalin Criid learns to his horror that he will no
Richard Tran
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Michael T Bradley
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w40k
Yeesh, man, these just getting more upsetting. I think you can tell Abnett comes from a comics background because what makes his stuff so damn good is watching characters you love get put through the grinder (in fact, a section in this book is aptly called "Grinder" to make this point quite obvious).

This story is about two distinct plots unfolding: 1) Dallin Creed, the older of the two kids rescued back in Book 3, is now 18 (or whatever the age is in the 40K universe) & able to go through ba
Peter
Jun 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Martin
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, warhammer-40k
The Armour of Contempt

The Fifth Crusade Army, led by Lord-General Van Voytz, finally advances to reclaim Gereon from the forces of Chaos after over two thousand days of brutal occupation. The majority of the Crusade force is deployed to assault the coastline fortifications known as K'ethdrac'tt Shet Magir, an action which the newly-inducted Dalin Criid participates in as part of an RIP (Retraining, Indoctrination and Punishment) detail. Half of the novel follows Dalin's experiences in basic trai
Matthew
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gw-sci-fi-read
As Strong As Ever

This series carries on from The Saint omnibus with four new stories in the sabbat worlds crusade, starting off with a mission on Gereon where a general known to the ghosts has been taken captive, either that or he turned, a small team of Ghosts try to track him down to either rescue or assassinate him, and in the process have to deal with a chaos world in the making, whilst Gaunt is away the ghosts are disbanded and when he returns he has to bring them back together, His Last Co
Bruce Robertson
Mar 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this book.

I read it immediately after His Last Command, so perhaps I still felt a little apprehensive going into this one. Like the previous book, the exploits of the Tanith are gripping and so vividly protrayed you almost want to duck at times. The addition of a new major character is done in an intriguing way that really shows up the callousness of the Imperial way of war.

Overall I enjoyed it, but (for some reason I can't put my finger on), this is definitely not one of my
Tirant
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Gaunt fans, 40k fans
Shelves: justfinished
Well, back in to the breach my freinds. Gaunt is back in command of the 1st and only (what happened to it being called 81st 1st?) and back on the world which seperated him from his unit in the first place.

Not a happy ending, and not the best example of this series. The introduction of a new character in a provisional regiment was interesting though, as well as the depiction of a possessed tank.
Christian
The Inquisition and Commisariat accompany the liberation forces to Geryeon which means that the whole planet and its citizenry is condemned to an almost impossible level of scrutiny for Chaos taint. You can see why worlds would rebel and try to declare independence. A major character falls in such an undramatic way that it is bitter sweet but life in the Imperial Guard is like that. One moment you're alive and the next you're just dead and nothing you could have done could have stopped it.
Jona Marklund
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Michael A
Jun 11, 2009 rated it liked it
The book follows shortly after the events of "His Last Command", and I felt that it's actually one of Abnett's weaker books in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I gave it three stars because I really wasn't all that drawn in to the story, and felt that the author added a number of events just to add shock value. Hopefully the next few in the series will prove better reading.
Calyx
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A new book by Abnett is always more than welcome, a new Gaunt books is even better, and although i did like it... it just wasn't same for me as previous entries in the Lost omnibus. by no means was it bad, delivery, narrative and style are there and superb, its just something was not for me. Not the same as Traitor general or His last command was. still highly valued book and experience for me:)
Craig
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Warhammer 40,000 or Mil. Sci. Fi.
Shelves: mcnerdigan-s-pub
Dan Abnett does it again. The investment of dead main characters in the past books of the series pays off in spades as Gaunt's Ghosts return to Gereon with a massive invasion force and you KNOW no one is safe. And no one is. But also, dead doesn't ALWAYS mean dead.

The writing is sometimes trite or formulaic, as usual, but it's worth it. Carries the series forward in admirable fashion.
Patrik Olterman
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Another fantastic Gaunt's Ghosts novel, war gets more Gruesome than ever as the Ghosts are part of the liberation of Gereon. The best part of the book is that we get to follow Dalin Criid as he goes through basic training and enters the war for the first time.
Omar El Sahhar
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer
ONe of the best action military novels i ve ever read
Spacebutler
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
That hurt.
Andrey Nalyotov
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the least interesting books. Cause mostly it's like training camp - and enemy does not have a personal face in general
I.F. Adams
Meh. It was okay. I love the Warhammer 40k setting (sidenote: I'm occasionally embarassed by this). But was one of the weaker stories.
  • Duty Calls
  • Wolfblade
  • Cadian Blood (Imperial Guard)
  • Fulgrim
  • Let the Galaxy Burn
  • Grey Knights (Grey Knights, #1)
  • Angels of Darkness
  • Emperor's Mercy
  • Legends of the Space Marines
  • Firedrake

Gaunt's Ghosts (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts, #1)
  • Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts, #2)
  • Necropolis
  • Traitor General
  • His Last Command
  • Only in Death

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)