Start by marking “When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing” as Want to Read:
When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing

When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  8,988 Ratings  ·  937 Reviews
Daniel H. Pink, the #1 bestselling author of Drive and To Sell Is Human, unlocks the scientific secrets to good timing to help you flourish at work, at school, and at home.

Everyone knows that timing is everything. But we don't know much about timing itself. Our lives are a never-ending stream of "when" decisions: when to start a business, schedule a class, get serious abou
Published January 9th 2018 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about When, please sign up.
Skeptycal While I loved this book, I would say you are better off looking elsewhere for specific help with procrastination at first. Procrastination is usually…moreWhile I loved this book, I would say you are better off looking elsewhere for specific help with procrastination at first. Procrastination is usually not a time management issue, but instead an avoidance behavior, perhaps caused by overthinking and becoming overwhelmed by things. We end up avoiding things that are stressful as a way of not having to deal with it. It can be fear of something, inability to control things, low self esteem, or any number of common or uncommon reasons.

There are great checklists online to work through things. Here is one: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/artic...

There is one part of this book that would be very helpful. That is the part about the cycles and best times to do rational activities and best times to do creative activities ... part of the 'lark/owl' discussion. Once you have a plan to stop procrastinating, this would be great to fine tune life.(less)

da AL
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author does an entertaining job of writing and reading. He does an admirable job of making one contemplate the importance of considering timing -- one's inner rhythms and those of others. Too bad it often rings of glossy pop psychology, though -- an amalgamation of sometimes iffy statistics via sweeping conclusions...
Marianne
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5★s
When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing is the fourth book by bestselling American author, Daniel H. Pink. If we’re making an important life decision, what we decide obviously requires careful consideration. But what about when we decide? Could the time of day that we make a decision be significant? Could the time of day affect how well we learn or do our work? Does it really matter when we have that first cup of coffee? According to Dan Pink, it definitely does.

In this intriguing bo
7jane
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to have perfect timings in your everyday life and self-improvement
(since my paperback version is not here, I use the hardcover one.)

music: Robert Palmer - "Housework" (like the little twist to the story in this song)

This book is a good one to have when trying to improve one's life, at work and at home. When-decision times come in so many ways: changing jobs, starting a project, running a marathon, when to exercise... it's importantly to do things not in a haphazard way, especially with important decisions.

This book is good when you want to build an ideal sched
Peter
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel I have to stress that the title of this book is very misleading. This book doesn't convey any actual secrets and it also doesn't teach you much about perfecting your timing in any of the various scenarios that it covers. What it does teach you, is that there are certain trends and rhythms in many aspects of one's life, from your daily energy and focus levels to more general feelings and commonalities people experiences during a lifetime. There are also the few obligatory case studies focu ...more
L.A. Starks
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pink has written a gem of a how-to book that cites and summarizes a huge amount of research on how to get things accomplished more efficiently, despite basic biological/organizational challenges like afternoon lulls and beginning-of-project chaos.

Readers will close the book with several ideas about how to make better, happier use of each day's hours. Don't miss the last section on the joys of synchronicity, from crew to choral singing to the tradition in India of lunch delivery.

Highly recommend
Christopher Lawson
In WHEN: THE SCIENTIFIC SECRETS OF PERFECT TIMING, author Daniel Pink shares scientific, surprising findings that have serious consequences. Did you know, for instance, that the timing of your surgery is important? Studies show that far more mistakes are made later in the day, so be sure to get a morning appointment! Similarly, if you are in court, the disposition of the judge is a lot more lenient in the morning.

To work the most efficiently, it's important to figure out your own cycle of effect
Mehrsa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's my fault for reading this pathetic excuse for a book. It's not Pink's fault for writing a book that says nothing new at all or the publisher's fault for promoting a book that has absolutely no value whatsoever. I knew what it was when I picked it up. And yet, I am a sucker for self-help books that just regurgitate a bunch of soft science I already read in the New York Times. It's my fault. Don't make the same mistake.

Maybe I made this terrible decision in the afternoon?
Brandice
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing by Daniel Pink. The book was interesting. I was into it from the get-go but the last chapter was probably my favorite - thinking in terms of tenses.

The book discusses the factor of time, in many facets of life: The impact of one decision and the timing in which you arrived at that decision. It discusses (among other things) the hidden pattern of every day life, beginnings, midpoints, and ends, synching and belonging, and thinking in
Daniel
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Pink. In this book he talks about timing.

1. Most people do well in analytical tasks and have better mood in the morning, worse in the afternoon, and slightly better in the evening. That is, except the night owls.

2. Breaks are powerful and improve performance. A power nap of 20 minutes is good; it is even better if one drinks coffee just before the nap so that when one wakes up the coffee perks one up.

3. Beginnings are important. Students who start later for school do better. Gra
kartik narayanan
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the full review at my blog Digital Amrit

I used to believe that timing was everything. Now I believe that everything is timing.

What is the book about?
When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing is written by Daniel Pink, famed author of books like Drive, A Whole New Mind, To Sell is Human etc.

Daniel Pink talks about the importance of timing in this book. According to him, Timing is an emerging science and he explores this science further in ‘When’. Some of the themes he covers in this bo
UB
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because lately, I can’t shake a sense of panic about time slipping through my fingers (babies becoming biggies will do that, so too will turning 39 in a few weeks, which the author spends some time talking about - “the nines” and how they approach life). No big surprises in this book but a quick and fun read nonetheless. Also, So. Much. Stanford. But I love that place, so...
عبدالرحمن عقاب
اسم "دانيال بينك" على كتابٍ علامةُ جودة (على حدّ تعبير بلال فضل بخصوص المترجمين).
يشتغل "بينك" عادةً على موضوعٍ يختاره كلّ عامين أو ثلاثة فيُشبعه بحثًا واستقصاءً، قبل أن يضعه في كتابٍ مميّز. ويظهر أثر ذلك في ما يذكره ويحيل إليه في كتبه من أبحاثٍ ودراساتٍ، وقصصٍ وأمثلة. ويتجلّى ذلك أكثر ما يتجلّى في ما يذكره من استثناءات واستدراكات وتعارضات للفكرة التي يطرحها ويدور حولها. لتكون حصيلة ذلك كلّه متعةٌ وفائدة، وقدر عالٍ من الإحاطة.
أضف إلى ذلك ما اعتاد فعله في كتبه من وضع ما يشبه "الوصفة" العملية في
Text Publishing
2018 Goodreads Choice Awards semifinal nominee

‘He [Pink] offers practical advice in the form of “life hacks,” which feel modern, relevant and timely…Pink’s engaging prose and useful advice make for some entertaining and engaging reading. This is one highly readable volume about a fascinating topic that affects us all in a multitude of different ways.’
AU Review

‘An appreciation of time, some might say an obsession to the fraction of a second, seems to set humans apart from all other species…Desp
Katie
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unless you’re a night owl, prepare to make your sales calls, schedule your classes, and attend your criminal trial early in the morning because science.

The time of day affects how the brain functions, and early in the day, our minds are more vigilant. For most, alertness and energy levels tend to peak around noon. This means you want to solve all your analytical problems in the morning (when your brain is processing data best), and all your insight problems in the afternoon (you want your filte
Anton
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 'when-to?' among crowded 'how-to?' book genre

Strengths
+ brief, enjoyable and clever
+ lots of useful and practical advice
+ plenty of insightful examples
+ well-crafted non-fiction with memorable anecdotes and vignettes

Weaknesses
+ does not go into 'scientific' depth behind the phenomena discussed. it stays a quite 'high-level' throughout

Perfect 'commuter companion' for planes or trains ;)
Bookworm LLC
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When” is destined to become required reading for all college students regardless of major. Daniel H. Pink shines the stage lights on Perfect timing, bringing it out of the shadows of mystic good ol’ fashioned luck and showcasing it as a learnable, teachable and accomplishable part of the show of life. This may have been the first time I read about studies and laughed. Mr. Pink’s humor and chapter summations kept me going at just the right time.
Asia Burnett
I wish I could do 3.5 stars. This book was a little slow/repetitive to start but the useful tips and exercises throughout have had me quoting it for the past week and gave me some good work ideas: including ending the day with a quick thank you email to someone. Worth the read if you’re looking for ways to strategize your time or make a fresh start.
Alex Givant
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on when you need to do something (work, relax, decision making etc). I like all of Daniel's books - but this one is the best!
Jim Razinha
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read Dan Pink's Drive before I read his A Whole New Mind, which was a better order because Drive was better written and had a more accurate message than Mind. Okay, a message that resonated better. When is as good as Drive, if not as much a paradigm shifter. But it is still a think prompter.

Dan Pink writes an easy read...he's really good at it. Drive is excellent. And, as with Drive, he's very good at summarizing the extensive research he's done on this book - which he provides in his end note
Mohammad
فردا روزیست که تنبل ها کار می کنند.

این کتاب در مورد زمانسنجی نوشته شده. اینکه زمان چه تاثیری روی زندگی ما و رفتارهای ما در انجام کارها داره. از تنظیم چرخه خواب گرفته تا درآمد و چیزهای دیگه.
در بخش اول کناب یک روز رو تشریح می شه. تجربه افراد از زمان یک روز یکسان نیست. بعضی ها سحرخیزند و بعضی ها شب زنده دار. زمان رسیدن مغز به بالاترین سطح کارکرد خودش در افراد متغیره. در نتیجه بهتره برنامه خودمون رو به نحوی تنظیم کنیم که بیشترین بهره رو از این موضوع ببریم.
بخش دوم کتاب به شروع ها، میانه ها و پایان ه
Kelly
Pink talks about why time and how we use it matters. But unlike a typical productivity book, this one is based on your own rhythms and needs, coupled with what science has said about those things. The biggest take away is that the dip in productivity and clarity in the middle of the day is average across all types of people and maybe is best used not on your brainy tasks, but on the mundane. That, or, prior to those brainy needs mid-day, time is offered for a break, a walk, socializing, or other ...more
Christine Nolfi
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous tips on how to increase productivity by making subtle changes to your work routine. Highly recommended for any woman crawling through the afternoon energy slump by consuming too much sugar and caffeine. Highly recommended!
Roxanne
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Goodreads win review. This book having perfect timing for everything in your life.. He talks about the patterns we have every day.
Gary Moreau
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Pink has already written a couple of best-selling books, and it’s safe to say this one will be his latest. It’s a book about timing, the “when” side of the “what” coin. When is a lot more critical than most of us assume. And it’s importance is naturally underscored simply because “when” seems less controllable than “what”.

But both assumptions are generally wrong. Or at least a bit myopic. We can adapt the what to the when in most cases. And we can control the when, perhaps by starting ove
Anderson
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good book about timing.

PROS:
The book is concise and clear about what it offers. After reading it you will surely feel you have learned more about timing and you will have specific changes that you would like to implement. Indeed, Pink demonstrates once again that he is a very practical person and that he is not writing just to keep the wads piling up, but rather because he truly wants to help himself and the readers. Because of that, you can expect very practical strategies recommended at
Frank
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, with a touch of humour. The book is about what we feel at different times of day and different times of our life. But not all of the info is practically useful; some of the info is only emotionally useful, but that is still a good thing. For example, it is typical for people to feel a slump, a lack of motivation, in the middle of their lives, and this can take some of the edge of a person's guilt for not getting goals achieved by a set time.

Other examples:
It is typical to fee
David
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-psychology
Sometimes an interesting book of popular science writing about time and timing related research. At other times, a not-as-interesting self-help book for the overextended and/or the procrastinator. I recommend you skim over the self-help book and enjoy the popular science book. The popular science book still gives some good ideas about how to behave.

There are some pretty terrifying statistics that should give second thoughts to anyone with an appointment for surgery in the afternoon. However, the
Romans Karpelcevs
It has some useful tips, but the books is written like a collection of lifehacks and towards the end of the book stops being about time or the 'when' problem at all.

Some research seemed dubiously attributed to the morning-afternoon hypothesis because it originally targeted other problems related to our thinking and I'm not convinced you can just change "before/after mealtime" research into "morning/afternoon" like Pink did without running a new research.
On top of that, somewhere midway it start
Karen Ashmore
We all wonder when is the best time to be productive, take breaks, make decisions. Pink explains the reasons behind the timing. He claims timing is everything. Maybe not everything but it sure helps to know the right timing. One of my favorite parts of the book is the Time Hacker’s Handbook, a list of practical tips to incorporate in your daily life, that he included at the end of every chapter.
Valerie
Definitely some worthwhile information in here, but I see this as more of a read to skim than a deep dive. Pink does a good job of backing up his points with research and also cites a few books to check out afterwards. I did take note of a few of the tidbits he shared, but didn't feel like I walked away learning anything that was incredibly surprising or life changing.
Final Round
4,135,390 Votes Cast
Daniel H. Pink is the author of six provocative books — including his newest, When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing.

WHEN has spent 4 months on the New York Times bestseller list and was named a Best Book of 2018 by Amazon and iBooks.

Dan's other books include the long-running New York Times bestseller A Whole New Mind and the #1 New York Times bestsellers Drive and To Sell is Human. His
“coffee-then-nap combination known as the “nappuccino.” 7 likes