Start by marking “Dark Paradise (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Dark Paradise (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery #4.5)

Dark Paradise

(A Cooper & Quinn Mystery #4.5)

Reality television just got deadly.

When a contestant on hit reality show Transformation in Paradise turns up dead, Detectives Cooper and Quinn find themselves out of their comfort zone on a remote holiday island. Amid growing pressure from the mainland to solve the high-profile case, Cooper struggles with the island’s lack of resources and the decision from up high that th
Published August 2017 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Dark Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Paradise

Brenda
Heading for Lord Howe Island from their usual crime scenes in Sydney, Detectives Cooper and Quinn were about to enter the lives of reality TV contestants – whether they wanted to or not. One of the contestants had been found dead in her bed; it was up to Cooper and Quinn to find answers.

Interviews led them to believe not all were telling the truth – but who knew more than they were letting on? Would the show go on or could the contestants go home? Cooper and Quinn were so far out of their comfo
Cheryl
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've read a Catherine Lee book and at the moment I'm seriously chastising myself. Why, oh why, have I waited so long to get back to my favourite Aussie Detectives Quinn and Cooper? Reading their books is like coming home to visit an old friend, you just feel so comfy and can find out what's been going on with everyone!

This novella is centred around a death of a contestant on a reality TV show taking place on the beautiful but remote Lord Howe Island. I love that Cathe
Hans
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short story with Cooper and Quinn.
Coco.V
Nov 22, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (11/22/2017)! 💝
Barbara Tsipouras
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
It seems believable that reality shows might become a murder scene. People who take part in such shows are a special kind of character, adventurous, attention seeking, troubled and competitive. Six such characters are still in the contest - one of them is dead now.
As always Catherine Lee creates real characters. She makes the reader guess along with Cooper and Quinn until the climax in the end.

It's a mystery to me why this is number 4.5 (and not #5). By no means it's only half a book. It's a no
Tiffany
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author and I enjoyed it. It was a fairly quickly read and would be perfect for a lazy afternoon. I thought Quinn and Cooper were very relatable and likable. It was well written and kept me guessing for most of the book. I was able to figure out who the killer was before the end but did not see the big twist coming. I will definitely be reading more by this author.
*I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. This is my honest review.*
Will Decker
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time with the amateurish writing style, the juvenile story, and the questionable editing. The characters all ran together until I was almost done with the book. Cooper and Quinn were interchangeable as were the forensic techs and uniformed cops. None of them stood out for me and they all seemed rather childish in both their actions and thoughts. The mystery might have worked in the 'YA' genre for young kids, but it didn't work for me. Too simple. Great cover though.
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘It was barely lunch time and Detective Charlie Cooper was already exhausted.’

And he’s about to find that rest will become even more elusive! Cooper and Quinn find themselves on remote Lord Howe Island, after a contestant on a reality television show called ‘Transformation in Paradise’ turns up dead. Is it an accidental death, or is it murder? There’s plenty of pressure on Cooper and Quinn to find out what happened, and to solve the case quickly. The reality show producers want the show to conti
Charles Ray
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
When a contestant on a popular reality show is found dead on an isolated island off Australia’s coast, Detective Charlie Cooper and his partner, Joe Quinn, are sent to investigate. The victim, not popular with anyone associated with the show, was suffocated in her bed, and Cooper and Quinn learn that everyone is a suspect. The popularity of the show has drawn attention from their higher-ups and the media, and the pressure is on them to solve the case quickly.

Dark Paradise by Catherine Lee is a n
Bruce McLennan
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book but as one other reader said, it didn't keep me up turning pages. As an Australian author, I like reading what other Aussies are doing. The Lord Howe Island setting is a bit different but I'd suggest that Catherine Lee has most likely spent a holiday there, and it's a place I'd be interested in visiting. I was a little disappointed in the lack of local characterisation from Lord Howe apart from the copper and the plant lady. I'd have found some quirky locals more interesting po ...more
Liette
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great novella. I realized belatedly that this book was set in the middle of a series but it was not hard to get into the story.
A contestant died on the set of a reality show set on an island and detectives Cooper and Quinn are sent over to investigate. The main suspects are obviously the other participants who all had a chip on their shoulders in regard to the dead one as well as the host and the behind the screen team. Unfortunately, I figured who the culprit was but not the entire why he did i
Joy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another one in Catherine Lee’s Dark series.
Cooper & Quinn are sent to Lord Howe Island where a contestant in a reality TV show has been found dead. Until the autopsy has been done they are unsure if it is a natural death or murder and yes – it is a murder.
The complexities of the personalities, and also the isolation & lack of resources make life more difficult for Cooper & Quinn. One million dollars is up for grabs so will the show go on?
Congratulations Catherine on another interest
Bob
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
The idea for this story isn't bad. A murder takes place on a tropical island during a reality tv show. Someone didn't grasp the concept of elimination by competition? Anyway, one of the contestants gets murdered and it's left for the detectives to sort through the remaining contestants and the crew of the show to figure out whodunnit. A basic tv show type plot that could have been elevated by good writing, but it wasn't. The ending made sense, but didn't sound nearly as exciting as it should hav ...more
Luc
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Cooper and Quinn have fast become my favourite detectives. And once again they do not disappoint. In what is billed as a novella Catherine Lee still manages to pack a full story.

The whole story centres on a reality TV show and the murder of one of its contestants. Our detectives are dragged out of their comfort zone (literally) when put on a plane and flown to a remote island where the series is being filmed. Cooper feels even more as a fish out of water with this whole reality television conce
John
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed my first Aussie detective mystery by Catherine Lee. The plot and the solving of the crime flowed very smoothly with the reader being given just little enough information about the suspects and the crime to keep them guessing whodunit, much the same way real life detectives receive theirs. Clue by clue. Question by question. I truly look forward to reading the next books in this series. This is a voluntary review of an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Fleur
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I really enjoyed this book as it had a great pace ad plenty of twists and surprises to keep you guessing. The characters were a great mix of people you liked and disliked so therefore couldn't help but get drawn into the story. I loved how I never would have guest the killer and can not wait to go back and read more books in this series by Catherine Lee!

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Jacki Beights
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read

I have discovered a trend in mystery novels that I arrived at because I thought my handwriting was getting sloppy. Since I am an avid reader, I decided I could mend the first by recording the second, data base style. I keep tabs on multiple items of every book I read: title, author, characters especially, 1st sentence so I don't cheat. This story confirmed my unscientific conclusion. But this was still a fun read and I like the main characters.
Marie_eve_78
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel is reminding me of Hercule Poirot or Sherlock Holmes stories, in that it is a closed setting (an isolated island), and several people could have commuted the crime. They each get interviewed and you get to wonder who did it. The end wasn't predictable and it was well written also. I will surely take a look at the first of the Dark series novel by that author.
KevinS
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not much detecting going on here. Plenty of getting coffee, getting snacks, listening to shallow people on a reality TV show tell lies. Very Australian, so the dialog, interactions, reactions, concerns, and setting were all a little different than a US reader would expect. Regardless, not much of a mystery, not much of a case, not much interest in the victim, the suspects, or the detectives.
lynn snider
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting novella

Easy to read whodunit set in tropical island which is the backdrop for a reality show with the premise of the contestants transforming themselves into being better people. The novella is well written with enough twists to hold one's attention and main characters who are likeable.
Diana L. Wells
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a refreshing “who done it”. The main characters are likable and believable and the premise was likely as well. A Reality show with a million dollars on the line and the public decides who has been transformed the most during the duration of the show.
A good short story read, kept me guessing until the end. I enjoyed the authors style and will look more of these books.
Jerry Walch
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Catherine Lee has written a good story with Dark Paradise but it wasn't my cup of tea. To put it simply her style of writing, the plot, the dialogue, and the description reminds me very much of Dame Agatha Christie. I couldn't stand Agatha's style although my wife loved her and had me get her a copy of every book she ever wrote. If you like Christie you'll love this book.
Julian White
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read - novella - with Cooper and Quinn investigating a murder on an isolated island resort with a reality show filming. The victim is one of the survivors as the show comes to a conclusion...

Straightforward - the added interest is that Cooper and Quinn are also isolated with few of the usual resources and manpower to hand.
Judy Uckotter
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just a blah book. Almost stopped reading but it was such an easy read I decided to finish. Can't say I'm glad I did because it was no big deal. Didn't really get to know any of the characters and didn't even care who killed the victim. Don't waste your time unless you want to read a book that you can get through quickly.
Irene Sauman
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
An okay police procedural set in Australia, in this case on Lord Howe Island. You don't get much of the setting though. The story involves the death of a contestant on a reality TV show. A reasonable quick read.
Anna
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

Coop and Quinn make a good team, however they fly out to a suspicious death and leave the ‘crime scene’ unattended/unprotected until it was confirmed that the victim had in fact been murdered!!!
Regardless, I did enjoy the story.
Susan
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Transformation in Paradise, a reality show filmed on Lord Howe island has become a big television hit. When one of the contestants is found dead, Detectives Cooper and Quinn are sent out to investigate.
An enjoyable well-written novella
Rita
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Interesting Read!

I thought this was a great story. The characters were interesting. The plot was good. This is an easy to read book too. I wasn’t sure who the killer was before the ending.
Sharon
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Island Paradise Mystery

Good characters and an interesting situation, reality TV show, Paradise Island setting and a death to investigate

“This is my honest review of a Copy that I was gifted of this book”
Rachel Cacek
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A truly engrossing murder-mystery

Extremely well-written, a powerful story with a TV challenge show theme. Easy to relate with the plot and characters, so well done. Wonderful story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Maigret Christmas: And Other Stories
  • Diablo Nights (Emilia Cruz Mysteries #3)
  • Dirty Money (Parker, #24)
  • Unallocated Space (Sam Flatt Book 1)
  • The Ajax Protocol (The Project, #7)
  • Funniest Little Joke Book Ever
  • The Portrait of Molly Dean
  • Operation Valentine
  • We are NOT Buying a Camper! (Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #0.5)
  • Cardinal
  • On the Blue Train
  • Murder in the Round (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery, #5)
  • The Submerged Cathedral
  • Land of Careful Shadows (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #1)
  • Bridget Crack
  • Slaughter Park (The Belltree Trilogy, #3)
  • The Killing Season: Uncut
  • Closing Down
Hi, I’m Catherine, and I write the Cooper and Quinn detective series set in Sydney, Australia. I like to think of my work as crime fiction with a topical edge. There are three books in the series available so far: Dark Heart, which looks at the topic of cellular memory, Dark Past, which has themes around ancestry and genetics, and Dark Secrets, which deals with the difficult topics of bullying and ...more

A Cooper & Quinn Mystery (6 books)
  • Dark Heart (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery, #1)
  • Dark Past (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery, #2)
  • Dark Secrets (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery, #3)
  • Dark Chemistry (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery #4)
  • Dark Edges (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery #5)
  • Dark Country (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery #6)