Start by marking “When the Truth Unravels” as Want to Read:
When the Truth Unravels

When the Truth Unravels

Last month, Elin tried to kill herself.

She knows she's lucky that her parents found her in time. Lucky to be going to prom with her three best friends, like any other teen. Like it never happened. And if she has anything to say about it, no one but her best friends will ever know it did.

Jenna, Rosie, and Ket will do anything to keep Elin's secret—and to make sure it never
Hardcover
Published January 8th 2019 by Sky Pony Press

Rachel Solomon
Official blurb: "The four girls at the center of WHEN THE TRUTH UNRAVELS are prickly, complicated, and headstrong—and I adored all of them. RuthAnne Snow's debut takes a quintessential high school experience—prom—and fills it with detours and secrets that make it impossible to put down. Across two timelines and multiple POVs, Snow paints an authentic, sensitive picture of depression and shows us how friendship is a delicate but resilient thing. I wish I could hand this to every teen girl trying ...more
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
I don’t really know what it was, but I could not get into this story to save my life. While I did grow to enjoy the complex and unique relationships between the girls and the other characters, it took me a while to get there.

My reading experience was rather disjointed - while I was expecting to love the “before” chapters to get all the history and background and the emotional weight of the “now”, it fell flat. Which was a huge problem because I didn’t care about all the impactful moments that l
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Sometimes we keep secrets to protect others, and sometimes we keep them to protect ourself, but things started to spiral out of control for these four friends, when all of their secrets began to unravel.

• Pro: Female friendship for the win! These four had a relationship that hit a few snags, but they were steadfast and stood by each other, even when things got really messy.

• Pro: I adored all four of these young women. They were quite different from each other, but complemented
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
4.5 STARS

Elin’s three best friends think showing her an epic prom night will help her move on from her suicide attempt. Then Elin goes missing at prom, sending her friends on a frenzied search, worrying for the worst.

RuthAnne Snow’s debut novel kept me interested from start to finish. Elin’s three friends has distinct, unique personalities. I always knew whose first person point of view I was reading. Elin’s personality was less fleshed out, her chapters were in third person, which may have been
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
[image error]

I will be reading this as soon as I am more emotionally stable.

Many thanks to for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest |
Jessica | Booked J
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review also found at Booked J. As a note, an e-galley of this novel was sent to me via Edelweiss by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way.

Breathtaking. Would it be weird to just leave my review as that simple word? Because, right now, as I recover from this beauty, I can't think of any other word. None. I couldn't put When the Truth Unravels down. It completely wrecked me in the best way possible. This book was so moving and had a very accura
Thamy
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

This plot goes deep but it's not emotional like The Last Time We Say Goodbye or anything. If anything, it kind of felt like a thriller, though there was no actual reason for me to feel that way. Still, with every plot twist I felt we'd end up having to run for our lives. Well, if this were a whodunnit at all, the answer is too clear—depression is a B. And the book did sound like it was a 'who's gonna be its next victim?'.

But I'm babbling even before saying what it really is about. We have the po
Lillian Clark
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so grateful to have gotten to read an early copy of WHEN THE TRUTH UNRAVELS. Told through the revolving POVs of four best friends on the night of their senior prom, WTTU tackles challenging issues while being funny, engaging, and compulsively readable. I love these friends, their complexities and quirks, their loyalty and tensions. Snow manages to capture the multi-layered reality of friendships, the good and the bad, all wrapped up in a fast-paced and entertaining package. I loved it!
Prerna Pickett
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to do a sensitivity read for The Truth Unravels and let me tell you, you definitely want to get your hands on this one when it releases! The friendships are EVERYTHING. They're real, painful, beautiful. In fact, a lot of the instances reminded me of my own friendships in high school. Each girl has a clear, distinct voice, and each plays a pivotal role in the story. RuthAnne handled the tough subject matters of depression and suicide with care but didn't shy away from the r ...more
Kelly Coon
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Welp, I’m all done. WHEN THE TRUTH UNRAVELS has unraveled ME. Snow has woven four POVs into a friendship tale full of heartache (oh, the heartache), loyalty, humor, and love. The mystery surrounding Elin’s prom disappearance and the risks they each take to show one another how much their friendship really means, will leave readers on the edges of their seats, desperate for more.
Gail Shepherd
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: debut19, y-a, contemporary
Handling multiple points of view in one novel is difficult to pull off, but RuthAnne Snow manages it with grace as she unravels the mystery at the heart of an intense friendship between four high school girls--Elin, Jenna, Rosie, and Ket. Told in alternating points of view from each of the four main characters, at its core this friendship story is about communication and the lack of it--what we tell (to whom) and what we hide (from whom), and how keeping important secrets damages intimacy.

Snow'
Naomi Milliner
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Filled with a cast of compelling characters, page-turning suspense, complicated relationships and smooth, polished writing throughout, this debut YA novel is a terrific read. It can also generate thought-provoking discussion among teens and their friends, or parents. Definitely recommended.
USOM
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received this book as an advance copy from Edelweiss. This does not effect my review as it is honest and unbiased.

When the Truth Unravels is fabulous. There's mystery laced through the pages, but even more so it's a book about telling our truths and finding support in friendship. Sometimes there are secrets we can't even tell our best friends. This multiple POV novel looks at a mystery, Elin's disappearance on Prom night and unravels all these threads about what happened. What sec
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
This review was originally posted on Andi's ABCs
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. I'm a sucker for books that involve strong female friendships. I often feel like a lot of authors prefer the frienemy over the BFF, so I was really excited about RuthAnne Snow's debut, When the Truth Unravels, a story about 4 best friends hiding a secret about Elin's suicide attempt and secrets about themselves.
Tonyalee
I received this book for free from The Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I read this boks months ago, and I still find myself thinking about it. It’s just, SO GOOD!

In their efforts to keep things normal, Rosie, Ket, and Jenna decide to have a girls only prom night for their friend, Elin after she tried to commit suicide. Things don’t go as planned, and when Elin disappears, their effort to hide her secret, and secr
Samantha Hastings
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prom night the quintessential high school experience from the viewpoint of four friends—including one who attempted suicide and she’s missing. Each friend has their own struggles as they are trying to hold themselves and each other together.

What I loved 🖤🖤🖤:
1. The setting. Utah isn’t often the setting in YA novels and it was fun to read about my home state. But now I really want a dirty soda from Sodalicious and maybe a cookie too.
2. The four distinct voices...sometimes when there’s multiple PO
Krysti
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WHEN THE TRUTH UNRAVELS is a stunning contemporary YA novel about friendship, family, and the challenges faced by modern day teens. It’s beautifully written and utterly addictive with a tremendous depth of emotion. This is one 2019 debut you don’t want to miss!

I was completely engrossed by the story of these four friends. Snow does an amazing job of not only exploring the feelings of depression that prompt Elian’s attempt, but also of portraying the aftermath and the emotional impact it has on a
Kara J McDowell
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book BLEW ME AWAY. I don't cry very often when reading, but this book absolutely wrecked me.

Friendship is the beating heart of this book, and Snow's portrayal of the complications and loyalty that accompanying high school friendships is spot on. Elin, Jenna, Ket, and Rosie are, nuanced, dynamic characters, and I fell in love with all of them as the pages flew by. And holy cow, this book is so funny. Snow deftly tackles serious subject matter in a light-hearted way, and I found myself altern
Kip
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a page-turner! I loved the way the story unfolds through the four POVs and two timelines, but I especially loved that this was above all else a friendship story--between the four protagonists, their best (male) friend, and some new people they open up to when least expected. Great read for fans of realistic YA!
Rachel
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! I'm so proud of my friend RuthAnne for writing this and getting published! So cool. And beyond that, I really enjoyed the book. I just stayed up too late finishing it, when I had other important work I should have been doing instead. And I must say--YA fiction is not my favorite or my regular go-to genre, but this book drew me in and had me hooked.

It was a cohesive blend of teen drama, mystery, romance, and some heavy topics as well (depression, suicide, bullying, sex)--none of which appea
Manon
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
*3.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Jenny, Rosie, Elin and Ket are a tight group of friends. Well, at least they were. Ever since Elin tried to kill herself, things have been messy between them and a lot of secrets are being kept.
Our story starts a couple months after Elin's suicide attempt and today is prom and a lot is about to happen. A lot.

The story was told through the four girls' points of view. At first, Elin's chapters were flashbacks.
The whole
Emily Martin
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early version of this book and ohhhh goodness did it slay me. RuthAnne's writing is beautiful, and she manages to make each of these girls feel nuanced and so alive. She infuses a lot of humor alongside serious subject matter, and there are so many sneaky gut-punch moments as well. I'm not someone who cries super easily from books, but this one got me (even on a subsequent read). Highly recommend for anyone looking for complex female friendships!
Kristin Wright
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early copy of this book and was truly moved by the sensitive look at what kind of adult emotions and problems are eddying around and under the quintessential teenage preparation for the prom. This book is a beautiful look at friendship and struggle and that tipping-point moment of imminent departure from childhood that the end of high school represents. Anyone who was ever a teen and remembers that it wasn't all pompons and yearbooks will love this story.
heather - NightlyReading
Jan 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF

I tried so hard to get into this book. It just wasn’t happening for me. I enjoyed the chapters each being by a different POV and the heading with the time. This part was very creative but the storyline seemed jumbled to me and was very hard to follow. It may be from the very brief introduction to each of the different characters? Which there were many.

I read up to chapter five thinking that maybe something would spark and I would become invested but nothing did.

I will give this author anothe
Carolina
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was pretty nice.

actual rating: 3.75/5
Gina Denny
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So great. I love broken timelines, where bits and pieces are revealed in a non-linear way, and this one is particularly awesome.
Melanie Stanford
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read an early version and it's fantastic! Full of flawed yet relatable characters and moments that will make you laugh and cry. I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy.
Lena
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, own-e-copy
Actual rating: 3.5 ⭐⭐⭐

I feel like this book had been lying to me for good 80% of this reading experience and I'm TRIGGERED. Let's begin on a spoiler, shall we: (view spoiler)
Leah
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This awesome book came out in January and I believe it is Snow's first book. (As a side note, I love reading books by authors from Utah and this one is even SET in Utah--it always makes the reading experience a little more special). And I have to say I am so grateful that I read it. I love getting book mail and I wish that I could just read them all as soon as I get them. This one sat on my shelf for a few weeks while I finished a few other books first. Finally, last night I picked it up and the ...more
Teenreadsdotcom
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
PAPER TOWNS meets THIRTEEN REASONS WHY --- at prom. A riveting story, told through four best friends’ points of view.

Last month, Elin tried to kill herself.

She knows she’s lucky she was found in time. Lucky to be going to prom with her three best friends, like any other teen. Like it never happened. And if she has anything to say about it, no one but her best friends will ever know it did.

Jenna, Rosie, and Ket will do anything to keep Elin’s secret --- and to make sure it never happens again. Th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Earth to Charlie
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • All the Walls of Belfast
  • Is Nothing Something?: Kids' Questions and Zen Answers About Life, Death, Family, Friendship, and Everything in Between
  • Connectivity
RuthAnne Snow was born and raised in Kaysville, Utah. She was a sorority girl in college and social activities director in law school—which was a lot like being back in the sorority. She has interned for the U.S. Senate, worked on policy papers for Congress and the State Department, and once spent a year sorting through emails looking for fraud. It wasn’t nearly as fun as writing fiction. She love ...more