Start by marking “I Remember Running: The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted - and ALS” as Want to Read:
I Remember Running: The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted - and ALS

I Remember Running: The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted - and ALS

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A little over a year ago, Darcy Wakefield was a single, 33-year-old, athletic, workaholic English professor, a vegetarian who had never had a serious health problem or injury. Then she was diagnosed with ALS, and her world turned upside down. I Remember Running is Darcy's story of change and loss and challenges during her first year with ALS, as she struggles to make sense ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Remember Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Remember Running

Allen Sockabasin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was really slow at the beginning and I didn't like it that much, but towards the end it got to the point and it made a little better.
Pam
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
ALS is a horrible, terrible disease. However, this book about a woman who is a mere 33 years old when diagnosed, is an uplifting book. It's about slowing down and finding joy in the simplest things. When disability forces Darcy's previously well-toned athletic body into a wheelchair, dependent on others, she learns to be thankful for how she has lived and how she can continue to find beauty in things that others take for granted--tasting every bite of food, walking on two strong legs, holding a ...more
Kathleen
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A series of essays written by an active, athletic young woman who learns she has ALS. She gets married shortly after her diagnosis and becomes pregnant. Very moving, very poignant book.

Please, readers, do what you can to help find a cure and support your local ALS chapters so families living with ALS can cope and have the medical equipment they need to make their lives easier.
Cheryl
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you think you are having a bad day, read this book. You'll never think the same again.
Debbie
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TL Sumner
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: four-and-a-halfs
Let me start of by saying - ALS SUCKS. Like SUCK - SUCK - SUCK - SUCKS! My mother-in-law died after an incredibly short battle with ALS. I was with her during her last days and hours and let me just say again - ALS SUCKS.

So... I've had I Remember Running, and another memoir about ALS on my bookshelf for almost a year, emotionally not ready to read them.

I was certain I Remember Running would be a heart wrenching story about 33 year old Darcy Wakefield's struggle with this horrendous disease. I
Diana
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: medical-memoir

I enjoyed the book, as far as it went. It has a lighter tone than other books I've read by authors who had ALS. This book, however, seemed incomplete--it ends after the author gives birth to her son, who she conceived knowing she had ALS. The author seemed to have a rapidly progressing form of ALS, and we learn that she was weakened by the pregnancy, and was unable to care for her baby. The book abruptly ends there, and we aren't told how the family manages, what type of care the author receive
BHodges
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a family member of a loved one who lost their life to ALS, I strongly recommend this book to people with ALS as well as their family and friends. I recognized so many pieces of my own experience here, and the experience of my loved one, clothed in Darcy's excellent prose. This book tells difficult truths about ALS without dwelling on them. If you're concerned that any book on ALS might be too much, given the frightening nature of the disease, I think Darcy struck a nice balance of acknowledgi ...more
Riley
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before reading this book I knew a little background information about ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. I have seen stories about how it affect the loved ones around an ALS patient, but I had never seen what it was like to actually have ALS and what it did to a person, both physically and mentally.

Picking this book up caused me to see through the eyes of Darcy Wakefield, and what it was like to have a perfectly normal life and then have it "disappear" because you knew it wouldn't be norma
Catherine
May 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I gave this five stars because as far as I'm concerned, when someone is brave enough to write about their battle with an illness like ALS, who am I to judge the quality of their words? Truth be told, her writing is great anyway. The book is set up as a set of essays, each reflecting on an aspect of her life that is affected by her diagnosis and spans just over a year. She writes not just about the diagnosis itself, but about her adjustment to her constantly-changing life and body, her experience ...more
Lucy
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful book and it's even more impressive when you consider that the author had ALS while writing it. But, what really struck me in this book is Wakefield's views on having a disability. She is very open open her feelings and doesn't want sympathy. She is also quite candid about how her views on disability changed as her disease progressed. She is able to appreciate life to the fullest, in part due to her disease. And truly, this is something we should ALL be doing since no one gets o ...more
Apr 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Julie Beckwell
I've read many books in which the author describes what their life is like since they became ill. I liked her approach - dividing into chapters describing how different aspects of her life are changing since being diagnosed with ALS. One word chapter titles - when the reader starts a new chapter, he/she is prepared to think about how this aspect of the author's is now affected. Wonderful to know that her baby is not affected but sad also to realize that as her baby develops and grows, simultaneo ...more
Abby
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've put off reading this book, but I'm glad to have read it today. Written as she is living with a terminal and horrible illness, going through pregnancy, becoming dependent, I appreciated wakefield's reflections on joy amidst sorrow, on past pleasures and regrets, and on living life in fast forward. It made me sigh, cry and hug my little people a few more times today.
Bex
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book ended before her life did so I was left with a feeling of needing closure and more information. She did a great job of documenting her illness in its early stages though. Great read. Wish an epilogue with more detail were added at the end to help us readers fully understand the grasp Als had on her till the disease took her.
Abby Hochhauser
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't love the book but I'm grateful to the author for sharing so much of what it's like for her as a victim of ALS. It was well written and I appreciated her keeping her sense of humor while writing.
Mary
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
The title caught me, as I used to be a runner, and am no longer. Sadly. This woman is an excellent writer. She details, in short short chapters, the saga of her finding the love of her life, and also being diagnosed with ALS. Kudos to her for writing this in the midst of a damaging disease.
Alicia Kachmar
Jul 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry. A LOT. But I learned about my own illness and am working towards a new perspective because of what Wakefield writes. I only hope that I can face my disease like she faced hers.
Randall
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Darcy Wakefield grew up across the street from me. Beautiful and intelligent and stricken with ALS in the prime of her life. This amazing autobiography shows her courage and positive attitude as she worked so hard to squeeze every drop from the rest of her life.
Amy Richard
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a woman who grew up in my home town a few years ahead of me in school who battled with ALS. I knew her family well and the story is so heartwrenching yet so inspiring. PLEASE pick this up...you wont' regret it.
Amy Richard
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Judith
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Judith by: Professor
Pretty interesting for a book about a woman with a degenerative disease. It wasn't as depressing as I expected, nor was it as boring. Perhaps, this was because Wakefield was mostly in denial throughout the novel, which kind of frustrated me.
Lisa
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Runners, mothers, biography fans
An autobiographical month-by-month look of the author's diagnosis with ALS; she also meets the love of her life halfway across the country, gets pregnant, quits her job and buys a house, as she manages to come to terms with her illness.
Arvydas Sidorenko
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: english-lang
I bought it based on excellent Amazon reviews, but I didn't feel that impressed. The message of the book felt almost like those terrible self-improvement books. If it wouldn't be under 200 pages, I would have given up.
Katie
Mar 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This was written by a good friend's friend. I had the opportunity to meet Darcy and was moved by her spirit, which is conveyed through her book. An inspiration.
Mindie
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very sad
Holly
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievably beautiful.
Amy
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amazing- a book that helped me to be grateful for each step of a run!
Jonah
  • The Lost Night: A Daughter's Search for the Truth of Her Father's Murder
  • Blood and Sand
  • Dear Marcus: A Letter to the Man Who Shot Me
  • His Poor Little Rich Girl
  • For Bitter or Worse (Cord & Stacy #3)
  • (Just Like) Starting Over
  • The God Theory: Universes, Zero-Point Fields and What's Behind It All
  • Donovan's Child (Bravo Family, #30)
  • Montana Secrets
  • No More Dragons: Get Free from Broken Dreams, Lost Hope, Bad Religion, and Other Monsters
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Memoir of the Mother I Never Knew and of My Daughter, Courtney Love
  • No Language But a Cry
  • The Mother Knot
  • To Love What Is: A Marriage Transformed
  • The Riemann Hypothesis: The Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
  • Tabloid Love: Looking for Mr. Right in All the Wrong Places, A Memoir
  • The Autoimmune Epidemic: Bodies Gone Haywire in a World Out of Balance--and the Cutting-Edge Science that Promises Hope