Start by marking “Don't Cosplay with My Heart” as Want to Read:
Don't Cosplay with My Heart

Don't Cosplay with My Heart

When Edan Kupferman dresses up like her favorite character, Gargantua, she feels tall and powerful. That's important right now, because her family is a mess, her best friend is gone for the summer, her crush is confusing, and Edan's feeling small and not sure which end is up.When Edan's cosplaying, she can be angry, loud, and not the good girl everyone thinks she is. And w ...more
Published January 2nd 2018 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Cosplay with My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Cosplay with My Heart

jv poore
This Young Adult novel begins with (what I hope is) an atypical teen scenario. Completely overcome by complicated, conflicting emotions…currently manifesting as mainly anger, Edan dons her Gargantua mask before sitting down to her final family dinner. For the foreseeable future.

She didn’t know much about her dad’s business, other than his firm handled payroll for several Hollywood productions. Lately, she’s heard whispers of misappropriated funds and missing money. Now, her father is being sequ
Stacy Fetters
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
"I'm being weird. Or maybe he's being weird. It was only a weird bubble moment. One that will be forgotten. It probably means nothing at all. The feeling is so nice/horrible/wonderful/terrible/floaty/rotten. My heart is on fire. My heart is exploding. My heart is growing. My heart is shrinking. My heart. Is so confused."

Have you ever been so in love with a cover before that you started to second guess yourself at picking it up? That maybe the cover will be the best thing and the characters mig
Nasty Lady MJ
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
To see review with gifs click here.

Ugh.

I don’t know how this book got published. Actually, I probably do. It’s likely that Castelluci either had connections or knew someone that allowed this garbage to get a contract while someone else’s work was ignored.

But still it flummoxes me that books like Don’t Cosplay With My Heart exist. This book read more like a skeleton outline of a story than an actual book. The characters were cardboard flat, the story didn’t have any unexpected pothole. And honest
Amy
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I unexpectedly loved this book. It tugged on my heartstrings and wrapped me up in a world of fandoms and cosplay. It wasn't perfect - a little on the nose with its "all fans are equal" message and I'm never a fan of teenage romance - but it successfully walked the line of emotional and angsty. While this book could have been more fleshed out, I liked it because it wasn't. Short, fun, appealing. It captures what brings people to fandoms and cosplay and how one girl channels her anxiety about life ...more
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I know books for younger people tend to be a bit more heavy-handed in their messages on purpose, but this book had no subtlety of message at all. Like the message was being shouted so loud, I lost the characters and the story.

As I was reading, I just felt like the author wanted to tell a story that hit on all the bad parts of geeky convention experiences. People complaining about “fake” nerds/geeks...people who have just jumped on the bandwagon as geeky properties become more mainstream popular.
Rebe
Note: My review is based on an ARC.

We are fourteen people hanging out after school, resplendent in spandex.

Yay for free goodies at book festivals! I picked this one up almost by accident—I was looking for something else entirely at this year's YALLFest in Charleston, and the booth I happened upon was giving away ARCs. (YALLFest, incidentally, turned out to be a fantastic reading opportunity, because a lot of your time is probably going to be spent waiting in line for stuff.)

Don't Cosplay with My
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cecil's work always gets me right in the heart. And I wish Team Tomorrow were real--the team FELT real. And important. And utterly wonderful.
Nicole
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I honestly tried with this one. You’d think being a result con goer and cosplayer that it would be of interest, right? Right. I should be able to push through the cringe, right? Wrong.

The main character reads like a self/righteous, self-insert of a fanfiction writer. I really can’t get into her story at all. I don’t care about her running monologue. The first page alone was a turn off but I made it to maybe a quarter.

The running monologue with “Gargantua wouldn’t do this.” is the point of the
Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
So you know all those teen shows we loved as a kid like Saved by the Bell, Fresh Prince, Sabrina? The dialogue was clunky, the acting terrible and the serious episodes about "issues" were bludgeoning. But somehow they were still so charming and we loved them? That's this book.

The prose is clunky. The theme of misogyny and sexism in geek culture is hit into us like a hammer. The "villians" are basically walking, talking versions of the worst of gamer-gate forum messages. The characters all read
lyn straine
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
i have mixed feelings about this book. parts of it were strongly affecting, and the basic messages are important for young nerd girls to hear--especially the central theme what makes someone a 'real' fan /geek/etc. but i can't quite tell who the demographic is here--the prose is too simplistic to satisfy the average high schooler, so maybe it's meant for the middle grades? i wouldn't call it a YA book. there's not really an ounce of subtlety in what the book is trying to do, and though one of th ...more
Sarah Pottenger
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book quite charming and ended up reading it in one sitting. It's a celebration of fandom and geekery, but it also pulls back the curtain on that celebration (what it's like to be a lady geek, for instance). It was a little hard to get into at first, but once I was into it, I was INTO it. The voice is on point and authentic. I keep going back to one of the opening sentences, when Edan, the main character, shows up at the dinner table wearing a plastic mask of her favorite comic book ...more
Brigid
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute and understated look at geekery and passion. It can be a little heavy on showing how women and girls are left feeling unwelcome in fandoms, but that is also a core element in the story.

I really loved and was sad there wasn’t more to read!
April
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Just look at that cover; look at it! It snagged my eyes and the premise really reeled me in the rest of the way. But after barely 50 pages I'm giving up. These characters are so flat, so boring, and the writing style is tedious and like reading a manual or draft copy of an outline of a book that wants to plug in all the Words and Trendy Concepts du jour and it just was not working for me. Looks from reviews like if I feel this way I'm likely not going to be impressed with the rest so I'm stoppin ...more
Christy
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really young - not my thing but maybe older elementary or early MS would enjoy.
Aletha
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, it was a fun read - though not my fav Castellucci book. I could really relate to the awe of experiencing my very first comic book convention just as Edan had. There isn't anything too complex about the the plot but I really appreciate that the book brings up a lot of the negative of being a geek/nerd/fangirl - having to prove your geekiness, being ignored, being harassed for dressing up a certain way, etc. Yuri and his little a-hole cronies embody the crap that women in have ...more
Martha Schwalbe
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read two other books about cosplay that emphasize the Comicon aspect. This book was fun because the main character started a cosplay club at her school. This was how the cosplay was discussed.
It included romance, friend drama, and huge family drama.
I'm curious if students who are really into cosplay would enjoy it. It was Cosplay 101 for me.
Makes me want to go read some comic books though. I haven't read one since the last millennium!
Lily
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book very much! My English teacher gave it to me knowing I am a big nerd for cosplaying and I was overjoyed. I enjoyed the lessons that Edan learned along the way and how she dealt with each situation. I also liked the wide range of emotions that were present during the story and how Edan described them to feel like. Over all I think that this is a great book for teens to read, especially if they are as nerdy as me!
John
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is the most infuriating books I’ve read all year! It’s full of unlikeable characters, and storylines that are seen a mile away. On to of that the ending doesn’t feel like an ending at all... more like the author just stopped writing.

Bleh.
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
So the cover is ... interesting (not in love with it), the reviews are mixed, but because I'm a cosplayer ... I have to add it to my "to read" list! ;-)
♡Kayla♡
Dec 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary, romance
I had such high hopes for this story, but it ended up being really disappointing.

After reading Fangirl last year, and discovering books with really relatable geeky characters, I've made it my mission to read more of them. I was expecting a fun YA contemporary centered around cosplay and cons, but this book really felt like an empty shell, waiting to be filled.

The story of this was extremely lackluster, and at times just plain boring. Some of the most interesting aspects were the snippets of Tea
Amanda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Christine H
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
My last new read for 2017 is Don’t Cosplay with My Heart by Cecil Castellucci, and you’ll love it if you’ve ever felt like any fandom universe is sometimes much better than the real world.

Squinklethoughts

1. The cover and title totally hooked me. I love the girl’s pink hair and purple mask – they drew my attention right away. Also, there’s a popular song that I grew up with called “Please Be Careful with My Heart”, and the title of this book made me remember the lyrics of the song, so I wanted to
C. Watson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book very much. The synopsis made it sound better than it was. ONE STAR at most.
Carmensutra
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I put this down about two weeks ago and lack of interest is making me DNF it for the moment. Maybe I'll come back to it.
Lindsay Weigand
May 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
(mild spoilers in review)
the cover of this book is incredible and beautiful. unfortunately what's inside the book does not compare. i will say the book DOES occasionally have meaningful insights about being a nerd - a couple lines here and there that i underlined. but beyond that this book is a mess and chock full of nonsense storylines and characters.

biggest problem i have with this book is the poor writing. there is no spice to this writing at all. the characters "say" things over and over - u
Bekah | Bekah’s Bookshelves Hosford
Edan’s world is falling apart. Her best friend is in Japan, her mother won’t stop crying, and her dad could go to jail—is probably going to jail for a long time. To cope, Edan turns to the world of fandom and immerses herself in her favorite comic book series Team Tomorrow, which is about to become a movie. Edan discovers a love for cosplay, loving the feeling of being Gargantua, a feminist, scientist and kick-ass superhero. Cosplay becomes an outlet for the pain she keeps tucked inside since sh ...more
Teenreadsdotcom
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Edan is a nerd. Her fandom is the Team Tomorrow fandom, and her favorite character of all is Gargantua. After her father gets sequestered because of possible wrongdoing with funds management, Edan's family splinters apart. Her grandmother tries to keep everything together, but her mother is falling apart. When given a chance to escape through cosplay, Edan takes it. She starts out small but soon finds others at her school who love cosplay and fandom as much as she does.

My favorite part of DON’T
Kiana Cook
I’m always cautious when I pick up a Cecil Castellucci book. I have a strange affection for her Boy Proof and The Queen of Cool, but a lot of her works— First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red—are disappointing, unfocused, and awkward. Don’t Cosplay With My Heart is a little stronger than Rose Sees Red or First Day on Earth, but it’s still a pretty big mess, with no real story or clear character arc.

Though this book definitely expresses genuine passion about fandom and geekery, it doesn’t do much
Vicky
Don't Cosplay with My Heart has a premise that pulled me in from the beginning. Edan's life is falling apart - thanks to some sketchy Hollywood embezzlement plot her father is involved in that didn't really make a lot of sense - but when she wears her Gargantua mask she feels bigger, like she can take on the world, like she can get through anything. Channeling Gargantua makes her want to learn to sew, so she starts a cosplay club at her school with the intent to make her way through making Garga ...more
Jeanette Diaz Michel
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'll try and keep the cons to a minimum...
Cons:
-Personally, I wasn't a fan of the writing.
-The MC, and by association all her friends around her, acted like she was in middle school not high school. (She was supposed to be a junior right? It felt like she was a twelve yo middle school-er, even with everything that was going on around her personal life.)
-That thing Yuri was doing with the club funds was so obvious (I noticed it right away)....I honestly don't know how our MC didn't see it.
-Probab
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I'm Not in the Band
  • Young Man with Camera
  • Christmas at Barncastle Inn
  • Promising Azra
  • Crow Girl (Crow Girl, #1)
  • The Last Gambit
  • Secrets and Lies (Capital Girls, #2)
  • A Door County Christmas: Four Romances Warm Hearts in Wisconsin's Version of Cape Cod
  • Whenever I'm with You
  • Christmas in Atlantis (Poseidon's Warriors, #0.2)
  • Cowboy's Redemption (The Montana Cahills, #4)
  • Recipe for Hate (The X Gang, #1)
  • Celtic Run (Jake McGreevy)
  • The Alaskan Catch (Northern Lights #1)
  • Portrait of Us
  • Velocity
  • Holding Court
  • Genuine Sweet
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books. Titles include Boy Proof, The Year of the Beasts (illustrated by Nate Powell), First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool The Plain Janes and Janes in Love (illustrated by Jim Rugg), Tin Star Stone in the Sky, Odd Duck (illustrated by Sara Varon) and Star Wars: Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure.

Her short
“Every bad person is a little good. And every good person is a little bad.” 1 likes
“she makes a sound with her throat like she’s annoyed or going to throw up and then changes it over to a 1990s rock oldies channel.” 0 likes