Start by marking “Operating System Concepts” as Want to Read:
Operating System Concepts

Operating System Concepts

Operating System Concepts This market-leading book provides developers with the latest and most relevant information on today's operating systems. In addition, it uncovers the fundamental concepts that have remained constant throughout the evolution of those systems. The eighth edition adds simulation content throughout the pages along with new programming projects. Full d ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 1985)

Rod Hilton
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
It's a textbook on Operating Systems. There's not really all that much to say about it beyond that, so instead I will compare it to two other OS textbooks that I've read, "Operating Systems: A Modern Perspective" by Gary Nutt and "Modern Operating Systems" by Tanenbaum, generally regarded as the seminal textbook on the subject.

OS Concepts is, to put it bluntly, very dry. This is somewhat expected with a book on Operating Systems, but the level of dryness is worth noting. I often found the book d
Nick Black
You learn operating systems by reading operating system source code, not the dinosaur book.
Ohud
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and if you are IT person, you will have read it decades ago.
I mean schools usually give a course where this book is the reference, if not the only material.
Maxim Perepelitsyn
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Serves as a great complement to more applied books like Linux Kernel Development or Linux Device Drivers, filling all remaining theoretical gaps and providing the history of OS evolution.

Fits well for self-study. Almost every exercise, which there is a lot of, has a reference solution available either on the book's website or in the instructor's manual for the 7th edition, which can be easily found on the internet. Plus programming problems to gain a better understanding of essential OS topics.
Bar Shirtcliff
Good for beginners: it's so easy to read that I can read it when I'm too sleepy for the Decline & Fall.

I'd like to find an equally approachable computer architecture book.
Nikoleta
Chapter 16. Distributed System S
DPeashooter
Apr 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Monotone and obtuse.
Has an affinity for fancy words - which normally ignites my interest, but not in this case somehow.
Yasin
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
it's a good book! but you need to keep eye on other books to don't miss any point!
Omar Zyad
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book
Anne-Laure
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good and well explained textbook on Operating Systems. I very much appreciated the in-depth examples that the authors have taken care to go into for a number of topics: After having given an overview of the concept, they'll dive into the design choices of Solaris, Unix, Windows 7 or Linux, and the implementation issues that were met during those design phases. It's definitely an undergraduate book, and thus meant to be used for non-experts who only have vague notions of how an O.S. really ...more
Patrick Coakley
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Like most people, this was the text used for my operating systems course. I found it to be incredibly hard to follow at times and quite boring. Some people might argue that it's hard to make content like this interesting, but I found other authors, such as Andrew Tanenbaum, cover the material much faster and in a more understandable way. My main issue is that it assumes knowledge on some things but will explain others in an inconsistent manner. I generally had to search for a quite a few things ...more
Arvind Prakash
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I am fairly new to the Operating systems and linux world.
This is my first book on operating system theory and i found it to be pretty descriptive about the concepts instead of just brushing up on things.I would recommend this book to someone who has been recently been exposed to the linux kernel and feels the need to understand the big picture or some of the basic clockworks that drive an Operating system and this is my no means the Bible of operating systems but a good starting poi
Sam Bateman
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic overview of operating systems and the components that make them up. Generally not detailed enough for implementations, but there are other good books for that. This book is nearly completely self contained, although I would recommend doing all the example problems at the end of each chapter and then at least one of the programming assignments. They will really help hammer home your understanding of the concepts.
Claudiu
One of the recommended textbooks on operating systems. If not reading this for your course, it's not really a book you want to read cover to cover but something you refer to when you want to understand the fundamentals on a topic.
While it's better structured than Tanenbaum's "Modern Operating Systems", it's also certainly less entertaining.
Kevin Winata
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Very compact & clear but a bit boring.
Arturo
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a very clear and easy to read to learn the basics and even more advanced concepts that involve operating systems.
Quant Daddy
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
pretty basic OS book, recommended as the first book.
Anish Ansari
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to understand and very deep explanation about concepts
Gaelan D'costa
I remember this being one of my most-loved books in university ... operating systems was one of my favourite courses and this textbook kept me incredibly fascinating. It was also, at least for me, overwhelmingly dense since in university I was being piled under new concepts that didn't sink in due to lack of practical application and general vocational immaturity.

Reading it again ... it's a good book. It's possibly a good reference, given that my particular copy is ancient. But I have to wonder
Joe
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the fourth edition, from 95. I think writing an OS textbook must be a difficult case of trying to achieve balance: balancing the right topics, from a sea of concepts related to operating systems and computer operation; balancing enough detail to be interesting and useful with simplicity and accessibility needed in an introductory textbook.

OS Concepts does a pretty good job of finding balance. The topics covered are pretty good: pretty much everything I think is centrally important to OS d
Gregory Blake
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Operating Systems Concepts is a great undergraduate-level resource for its subject, focusing, as its name advertises, on the concepts behind building an operating system. Outside of the exercises, the text spends relatively little time on code examples or gritty details, relegating that to suggested reading or simply saying "Go look at an open-source operating system!".

This emphasis on concepts makes a great deal of sense given the variance in how to accomplish goals and the sheer amount of gro
Houssem MENHOUR
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
It was the suggested textbook for my class on operating systems, I relied mostly on the accompanying slides rather than the gigantic book itself. That was fine in my use case but could be different for you, if so, be ready for a dry and unpleasant reading experience.

Other reviewers pointed out that there are better alternatives, namely Modern Operating Systems by Andrew S. Tanenbaum. Until I check that, I'll give this one 4 stars.
Camicita
ESTO VIENE ACÁ PORQUE MI SUPLICIO TIENE QUE SERVIR PARA ALGO.
Bueno, tengo que admitir que los últimos capítulos ni los miré, porque me daban ganas de dedicarme al scrapbooking cuando pensaba en seguir leyendo esto.
De todas maneras, creo que es bastante claro y útil en cuanto a la introducción a los conceptos básicos de OS.
Tres estrellas porque, a pesar de haberme resultado el somnífero perfecto, logró que entendiera todo este desastre. Igual, cada vez que leía "un lector perspicaz ya se habrá da
Andrew Obrigewitsch
This is a very in depth book on the subject of operating system architecture. I read most of it as part of a class I took on the same subject.

The book is very in-depth and enlightening. But by no means is this an easy read. As another review said this book is extremely dry.

However I did learn quite a bit about how computers work, and how different algorithms are deployed in operating systems. Unfortunately, as is the nature for school, I will probably never use most of this despite being requi
Somnath Musib
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book ever written on Operating systems. I had read it many times from my college days. Few concepts like process (scheduling, synchronization), memory management concepts are kind of classic. I read many other OS books like Tanenbaum, Stalings. But as per as the concepts are concerns, this is a must read book.

P.S: You should have patience in order to read this book. Its all theory and theory. :)
Evan Snyder
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comp-sci
This was the required book for my first Operating Systems Concepts class. As it was my first work in the subject, I have not read any similar books to compare and have no pre-existing knowledge to cross-check. With that novice disclaimer, I found this book to be very straightforward and readable with a number of relevant and up-to-date examples. Overall, a good outline of the requirements, components, and algorithms of a generic operating system.
Vincent Russo
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: computer-science
I agree with Nick's review in the sense that one learns the ins and outs of operating systems much more by actually getting their hands dirty and maybe even writing their own OS. This book doesn't really even take that approach, and if anything, has a fair amount of topical knowledge that won't be necessarily applicable a few years down the line. Not a bad book on OS, plus the dinosaurs are a plus.
Kory
While it is a very in depth book and covers the material well, it give you more if an understanding of the different parts of operating systems but pretty much fails to provide a working practical knowledge of the concepts. The earlier chapters do provide some code and usually one or two programing problems but they mainly just help with understanding some of the concepts, nothing really useful though.

Great for overall understanding of OS, bad on getting you into working with them.
S Ajgaoncar
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book on Operating Systems.
A must for beginner in computer science.

Wish the print was large,since small print makes you sleepy when reading at night.
Apart from that, the textbook explains all concepts like processes,threads,deadlocks,a part of unix.. and some really interesting problems.
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • Engineering a Compiler
  • Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice
  • Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • Programming Perl
  • Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective
  • The C++ Programming Language

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Abraham Silberschatz is the Sidney J. Weinberg Professor & Chair of Computer Science at Yale University. Prior to joining Yale, he was the Vice President of the Information Sciences Research Center at Bell Laboratories. Prior to that, he held a chaired professorship in the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin.
Professor Silberschatz is an ACM Fellow and an IEEE F
“Certain options and features of a program may be used rarely. For instance, the routines on U.S. government computers that balance the budget have not been used in many years.” 0 likes
“Rumor has it that, when they shut down the IBM 7094 at MIT in 1973, they found a low-priority process that had been submitted in 1967 and had not yet been run.” 0 likes