Start by marking “The Detecting Duchess (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
The Detecting Duchess (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #5)

The Detecting Duchess

(Victorian Bookshop Mystery #5)

The only thing standing between Georgia and her fairy-tale wedding is a murder. Or two.

When a young woman pleads for help from Georgia Fenchurch in locating a missing Crown investigator, Georgia resists. Her wedding is only a week away. Before she can say no, she's knocked to the ground by an assailant attempting to kill the young woman.

Georgia now feels she must help.
Published May 26th 2017 by JDP Press (first published May 18th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Detecting Duchess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Detecting Duchess

Start your review of The Detecting Duchess (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #5)
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

When I reviewed The Conspiring Woman at the end of 2015 I thought that was the final book in this fantastic series but author Kate Parker wasn’t quite done with these characters. As a reader I was thrilled to receive this book and visit these characters one last time.

Georgia Fenchurch should be concentrating on her wedding plans as it is just 8 days away but when a young woman is attacked right before her eyes she can’t say no to one last investigation before she says “I Do”.

H
Nancy
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
Soon-to-be Duchess and Victorian bookshop owner Georgia Fenchurch gets embroiled in another murder mystery just days before her wedding to the Duke of Blackford. The case involves stolen Egyptian gold, governmental diplomats, and a missing investigator. As the bodies pile up, Georgia wonders if she’ll be able to make her nuptials. Can she find the killer before the wedding bells ring, or will it be her death knell instead? Another charming addition to a delightful series.
Barbara Rogers
Series: A Victorian Bookshop Mystery #5
Publication Date: May 26, 2016

Kate Parker gives us yet another delightful, intriguing, mystery and adventure set in Victorian England. I feel as if I have waited absolutely FOREVER for this book – and it has been about a year-and-a-half – much too long since the last release. I hope the next book won’t be as long in coming! I also hope the author doesn’t decide to make this the last of the series because I can see so many delightful storylines in this newly
Nancy H
I love this series. This book was not, in my opinion, quite as intriguing as some of the others in the series, because a lot of the action occurred in another country before the story started and so seemed removed from the characters a bit. However, I very much enjoyed re-visiting the characters because they are so well-drawn and good, especially Georgia, the main character, and her fiance, the duke. Together with the other great characters, they solve the murders and help things move along in t ...more
Babs
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The action of this book stays all the way until the eve of Georgia and Blackford's wedding.  With a missing person and a lot of missing gold and building to several murders.   This series is well written and will keep the reader glued to the books until the very end.
Stacy
Nice way to end the series, at least I think it's the end of the series since it's been a few years since she wrote a new one. Georgie is getting ready for her wedding day but has concerns that she's going to miss out on the investigations that she has become used to assisting with. When a woman contacts her to find a friend of hers, she feels compelled to get involved in one last case. With the help of the Archivists Society, they quickly find that the story behind the missing man has far reach ...more
JoAn
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Detecting Duchess by Kate Parker was an excellent cozy historical read. Her characters come to life and once again Georgia and the Archivist work to solve a missing person case which turns to so much more. If this is the last book in the series, Ms. Parker did a great job with a twisted plot, numerous suspects and a happy ending for Georgia and Blackford.
Maria
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a historical cozy mystery, with a brave main character that doesn't fear to face a murderer or an harpy, go Georgia!

With a hint of how was living in the aristocracy and being a woman, Georgia Fenchurch has a bookshop and is a member of the Archivist Society, to investigate crimes, like this case, a disappearance and missing gold. Georgia doesn't know where to start investigating this case, the client is hiding something, her missing friend is not the person she thinks and everyone who c
Studentofparables
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reviewing a book by Ms. Parker last year, and was very excited to read another by this talented author. This is the final book in the Victorian Bookshop Mystery series, and while it stands alone very well, I look forward to going back and diving into the world of Georgia Fenchurch from the beginning!

Sleuths, get ready – there are dozens of suspects and clues to comb through – and each answer brings more questions. It’s quite the twisted tale to unravel, and we’re not even t
Kristen
This is one of my favourite series' and I've enjoyed each book very much. This one was an especially fun on, as we finally get to see Georgia and Blackford get married [that's not a spoiler if you've read the rest of the series and it's in the blurb for this book].

There is really nothing about this series I didn't like. Georgia is a wonderful main character, if a little conflicted about her change in status as she prepares to marry Blackford and become a duchess. She is smart and kind and very d
Argum
So the time has finally arrived, the wedding is on. I don't count that as spoiler as the Duchess part is in the title. But alas our intrepid heroine wants one last hurrah as a spinster detective before she assumes the mantle of the detecting duchess. When a girl comes into the shop specifically looking for her not the Society she hesitates but then the poor girl is attacked. The girl claims to be looking for a man who was investigating her uncles murder in Cairo who in turn had been investigatin ...more
Sherry Lynn
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
I was delighted to be offered The Detecting Duchess to read for this review.
Books that take place in the Victorian era or Historical books are not normally ones that I read.
I like to have the chance to read something different.
I liked the name of the series A Victorian Book Shop series was intriguing to me.
Although The Detecting Duchess is book 5 I didn't feel lost not having read the previous books. I would like to see more following.
The story is captivating and filled with twist and turns
A Holland Reads
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading Kate's book if nothing else for the setting. She has a way of describing the settings so that you feel like you are right there along with the characters. I also like that Georgia owns a nice bookstore. There are too many things that I like about Georgia that it is hard to mention them all. I can't imagine anything worse than having a murder at a wedding. The author did a good job of giving us enough clues so that I felt like I had everything figured out then I found out I was wr ...more
Kay Hudson
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have loved this series, and it's no spoiler, given the title, to say the the wedding day has finally arrived for Georgia and Blackford. But first there's a mystery to be solved, beginning with a missing person (and a lot of missing gold) and building to several murders. The action continues right up to the eve of the wedding, as Georgia and the Duke eliminate suspects one by one, joining the search for the missing treasure, separating those who want the reward from the killer who wants it all. ...more
Paula Ratcliffe
Jackie
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. Sadly this didn’t have some of my favorite aspects from previous books. I wish we could have seen more of Emma and the gang. Additionally they kept talking about how close the wedding was a bit too much especially when she hardly seemed to have much to do to get ready and plenty of free time. Too many balls and parties that didn’t hold me. I understand what the author was doing, but I miss the good old days. I wasn’t even a fan of our main man since he wasn’t in it other to be nasty or a to ...more
Katie Bee
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books-read
Not my favorite of the series, but still mildly diverting. Perhaps I simply wasn't in the right mood for it. The Duke put my hackles up a lot, as he was continually warning Georgia away from meddling in state secrets, and in general seemed barely tolerant of her investigation. It made it hard to enjoy their romance when he was being a pill! Somehow I don't see Georgia being able to continue her work after marriage.

Apart from the romantic angle, the mystery itself was interesting and a fun light
Spook Sulek
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluffy-mysteries
Okay, after buzzing through the series my real life interfered, but then I went back and re-read the series again; they all stand up to a second reading!

When I first began this series I wasn't sure it wasn't mysteries for grannies or something, one review said there was no bad language, no indecent scenes, so I wasn't sure, but I really enjoyed the fabulous mysteries (and spunky female characters). I think the only thing I didn't like was how quickly the Count Farkas story was wrapped up. Still,
Gwen Usher
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series!

I truly loved these books and hope Ms. Parker will continue on with Georgia and the Duke in future installments. The writing is clever and keeps us guessing about the next situation the heroine will find herself in.The supporting characters are well developed and as interesting as the main character. I will recommend this book to friends and family as well as other readers.
Lauren
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Not sure if there will be more in this series, but if not this wraps everything up nicely. The mystery had a few too many characters to keep straight, and I missed the bookshop setting now that Georgia has transferred its running over to her Archivist Society friend. Also, Blackford was a bit of a jerk to Georgia (telling her to mind her own business about his own investigations, etc.). That said I’ve enjoyed this series and seeing Georgia gain confidence and finally get her HEA.
Heatherinblack
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i don't actually believe for a minute...

Blackford would let Georgia get into trouble like that, days before the wedding. The murderer in the end was convenient, though the steps to get there well done. i do hope there will be a post marriage book about the trouble she gets in as a duchess. perhaps she will be the new "fixer" for the aristocracy?
L Kate
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
So many possibilities

This was a very fun and exciting read about a gold payment lost in Egypt. Shortly afterward practically all the possible thieves come back to England, early, and with no plan to return to. Airline- ever. Georgia has only a week to figure out who the thief or thieves are, but then people start dropping dead.
Cynthia Cox
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
History, mystery and characters given life with the most enjoyable writing from Kate Parker has made this a series I will treasure for a long time.

Georgia, Emma and Lady Phyllida have formed a family that evolves through great times as well as trying events. Georgia and Emma along with many others belong to an organization that helps solve many mysteries.

Ann Franklin
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best victorian mystery series I have ever read!

I love Victorian mysteries. I have purchased several of this series before I found it on Kindle. Now I have read them all and looking forward to the next.
Patricia Gulley
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some interesting historical information, which plays out in the story, and is explained at the end of the book. Pretty good mystery while Georgia tries to keep up with wedding plans and what is expected of a future duchess.
Margaret SimpSon
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Detecting Duchess

I am so glad that Georgia had Blackford finally got married. I hope this is not the end of their adventures with solving murders.
I recommend all the books in this series as they are really good.
Shirley
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in one sitting. Enjoy this series always, but this was especially good. Lots of twists and turns in the plot that worked well. Lots of visits to jealous old bitties.
Coralee
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
love this series, wish it would continue!
Melinda
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wish there was more on the wedding and afterward!
Lidia
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This last story and mystery was a bit confusing but all I could think was the wedding , as finally Giorgia find love and became duchess marrying "your grace" Blackford.

• Murder in Black Tie (High Society Lady Detective, #4)
  • A Deception at Thornecrest (Amory Ames #7)
  • Death Misconstrued (Poison Ink Mysteries #4)
  • The Last Mrs. Summers (Her Royal Spyness, #14)
  • Deathly Ever After (Poison Ink Mysteries #5)
  • Murder at Enderley Hall (A Miss Underhay Mystery #2)
  • Death by Blackmail (Poison Ink Mysteries #3)
  • Murder in the Evening (Miss Alice #2)
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective,  #3)
  • Just Make Believe (Lady Adelaide Mystery #3)
  • A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)
  • The Killer On the Bell Tower
  • An Old Money Murder in Mayfair (High Society Lady Detective, #5)
  • Murder by Midnight (Miss Alice #1)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • Death in the Mirror (Poison Ink Mysteries #6)
  • A Subtle Murder (Rose Beckingham, #1)
Kate began reading Agatha Christie mysteries and the Nancy Drew books while her classmates were reading Dick and Jane. She particularly likes historical mysteries and the feeling of time travel a good historical book can give the reader. Combined with her love of late Victorian to World War II architecture and fashions, she found an outlet for the stories and characters that fill her head by writi ...more

Victorian Bookshop Mystery (5 books)
  • The Vanishing Thief (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #1)
  • The Counterfeit Lady (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #2)
  • The Royal Assassin (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #3)
  • The Conspiring Woman (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #4)

News & Interviews