Start by marking “Shadowkeep” as Want to Read:
Shadowkeep

Shadowkeep

Practer Fine, an adventurous young blacksmith, is given the task of finding the source of the unimaginable evil of Shadowkeep, a mysterious castle, and freeing his land from its enchantment, in a fantasy adventure based on the computer game "Shadowkeep"
Mass Market Paperback, 243 pages
Published November 1st 1984 by Warner (first published October 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowkeep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowkeep

Reese Copeland
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully imagineative and full of both adventure and good humor. Highly recommended.
Jason
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is simple.

If you are in the mood for a basic fantasy novel without the endless paragraphs of descriptions and complicated explanations of magic systems and history, a quick read without the need to think too much, this book could be a good choice. That was what I needed at the time, and I enjoyed it immensely. However, I must admit that the book's objective quality is rather low.

The plot is basic. The characters are 2-D. The magic just happens. The lore of the land is mostly unexplain
Susan
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
So, in 1985 my sister and I were placed in foster care. The first family I was placed with, a newly licensed probationary family (we were their first foster kids). The Nichols' had their own two daughters, who were actually the same grade/age as Lisa and I were... Susie was their elder daughter and Sherry the younger.

The family was weirdly religious; not cult-like, but way too judgemental to be hosting foster kids. Susie's best friend (I forget her name right now) LOVED this book. So I read it.
John
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1986 grade A
1998 grade B+
2014 grade B+
Rob
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
So I had to reread this book.

Here's the dubious honor of why anybody should care about this book. This is probably the first novelization of a computer game ever written. I didn't research that, and I would love for you to prove me wrong, but you probably can't.

I read this as a kid, and it thrilled me with the idea of how good the game must be. Foster teases with ideas that sounded absolutely amazing if they could have been implemented in an actual game. I spent a lot of time imagining the great
Hwango
Mar 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shadowkeep was the first Alan Dean Foster book I ever read, back when I was around 9 or 10 years old. It set my expectations for what fantasy novels would be like and was probably the first thing I thought of when I learned about the existence of Dungeons & Dragons. I remember thinking that the nonhuman races were really cool, and that the reptilian race in particular was way more interesting than the usual elves, dwarves, and goblins you always heard about in fantasy stories. I expect the b ...more
Cheesewheels
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Sometimes you just need a simple, straightforward story to cleanse the literary palate after a heftier read. Apparently this is one of the first books ever based off a computer game. Practer Fime the blacksmith's apprentice leads a team of fantasy archetypes to rid Castle Shadowkeep of Dal'Brad the demon king's evil influence. Not surprisingly Shadowkeep echoes both the creepy castle atmosphere of Shadowgate and Stonekeep, two computer games I have both played and enjoyed. Cursed treasure boxes, ...more
Kaylynn
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
My husband got me this book second hand. I did like the characters, although it would have been nice if they'd had a little more depth to them. The story was fun and I love the whole traveling through the castle sequences they were VERY creative, and the headstrong nature of the roo was very entertaining. But, the antagonist's presence wasn't deeply felt until the very end and It wasn't always clear who had originally set each trap that the characters had to overcome. The story is based off a ga ...more
Samuel Lubell
Jan 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a novelization of a computer game. I acquired it as part of a friend's husband giving me a bunch of old sf books. I read it to get it off my shelves and into my discard box. Basically, it's a D&D type adventure where most of the book is collecting the party (four people of different races/talents) and then exploring the Keep and save the world from evil. Slow and dull with pedestrian writing.
John
Nov 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shadowkeep is a novelization of a video game. I found this book to the worst one his i have read so far. I would recommend this book to no one. I would recommend to everyone to read a different book by foster.
Kiki
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is cheap fantasy, but it's fun if you're in the mood.

I read this a long time ago. I'm pretty sure I picked it up because it was by Alan Dean Foster. He's capable of better than this. But it was fun. It felt sort of like playing D&D.
Becky
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I read this when I was about 11 and really enjoyed it. I'm rereading it before offering it to some 12 year olds to read. Hoping it's not as disappointing as when I watch my favorite 80s cartoons.

It probably deserves a 3 but I still remember it fondly from childhood so it gets an extra star.
Jery Schober
Jan 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Großartige Einschlaflektüre. Nach einem Kapitel ist man im Tiefschlaf. Ein Relikt aus den 80ern, und das merkt man bei jeder Seite.
Robert
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice fantasy story
Zack Kidwell
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first fantasy book i ever read. i picked it up in a used book store(Held together with masking tape) when a was 11 years old. Ive been hooked on fantasy ever sense.
Ankita
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well, I have been known to make mistakes some time and this was not it, but it was not very great either
Maria Schneider
Jun 04, 2011 added it
Shelves: dnf
Just started--it's off to a rather slow start. DNF.
James Hurley
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A decent read, not too cookie cutter. The best part about Foster is his works read fast, and he gets to his stories quickly.
Aloysius
Mar 05, 2019
Eric Jewett
Jan 10, 2013
Naarok
rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2013
Mar 08, 2013
Ron Johnson
Apr 16, 2014

• The Byworlder
  • Keepers of Edanvant (Sword and Circlet #1)
  • Maida's Little Shop
  • The Survivors (Hunters #2)
  • The Wizard of Linn
  • The Magic May Return
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • The Sword of Midras (Shroud of the Avatar #1)
  • Sport (Harriet the Spy #3)
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • Below the Root
  • Ghost
  • The Dragon in the Sword (Erekosë, #3)
  • Quag Keep
  • In the King's Service (The Childe Morgan #1)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • Gatherer of Clouds (Initiate Brother, #2)
  • Well of Shiuan (Morgaine & Vanye, #2)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more