Start by marking “How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t: 14 Habits that Are Holding You Back from Happiness” as Want to Read:

For everyone who loved You Are a Badass and The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck--a cut-through-the-crap guide to quitting the self-destructive habits that undermine happiness and success

How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t
Published January 2nd 2018 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t

Blaire Jackson
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I must say that I am not that pleased with this book. It is motivational, but it is even more clique. I felt like I already knew all of the tips that she gave and, even though I tried, I didn't get much from the book. I do recommend if you want a clean start of your life or you are in a complete rut.
Carrie Klassen
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think this book was even for me. I mean, I don't feel like sh*t, for starters. I'm pretty together. I've done lots of "self-work." And yet... to my surprise, I found myself on nearly every page. And always with a straightforward and so helpful here's-what-to-do-about-it.

The author is direct but never lacks kindness. She's as compassionate as she's frank. And she's funny.

I loved the writing. I'm already using the advice. And I'm better for having read this book.
Katie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gets four stars because of the chapter on overachieving. I found that many traits either didn’t apply to me, or were ones I’ve read about thoroughly elsewhere (self-compassion vs self-criticism, and perfectionism). But the chapter on overachieving was so on-the-nose, that I have to believe some of the other chapters would be much more meaningful to others:
“Overachieving is making your accomplishments who you are. It’s basing your self-worth on your accomplishments. Many overachievers h
Amy
This title jumped off the bookstore shelf at me ... given that I was in the midst of thinking through how to make some changes in my own life, I went ahead and picked it up. I wouldn't say it was life changing but it did give me some things to think about. I found that I really related to quite a bit of this book and found some strategies that I'll be putting into place. There is some 'woo woo' sort of stuff here so if that will turn you off, this might not be for you. I didn't find an issue wit ...more
Margot Note
"A great mantra for self-forgiveness is: 'I'm human, and I made a mistake'" (21).

"Part of boundaries is being able to say no and having it just be a no" (102).

"The alluring and tempting promise perfection makes is this: if we look perfect and behave perfectly, we can avoid the pain of rejection, or being 'less than,' thus also avoiding one of the most painful feelings of them all--shame" (11o).

"Being strong is
--Asking for help
--Not doing All the Things just because we can do All the Things.
Roland
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I did not know that this book was intended for women when I started it, but it had some good advice that applies to anyone.
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing groundbreaking, but a good introductory round-up of the habits we have that hold us back. Sometimes it's good to remind yourself of the basics before really diving deep into self-therapy.
The tone can be a little grating at times, but it's a quick read.
Jamie-leigh Haughn
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
*3.5
Nikki
Still feel like shit but in a slightly more self-aware way. Three stars. Added an extra one for that cover and title.
Sofie
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Still feel like shit. But now I understand why.
Jennifer Tuggey
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book started out with me deeply connecting to it. I was so invested. I bought a notebook, answered her questions, was heavily involved. The list of different categories about my life and how self-talk about them was very eye opening to me, and a little bit sad. But then it suddenly stopped applying to me. I’m not an over-achiever, and I NEVER use the word cojones.

I guess I struggle with most self-help books. I need to read them, I want to read them, but then... the people writing them are t
Sierra Menzies
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: improvement
I really enjoyed this book! I'm glad I stumbled upon it at my local bookstore and I enjoyed (even though it made me uncomfortable) working on thinking about some of the tougher issues that keep me feeling kind of shitty. I've already noticed some positive improvements in my life as I've worked on some of the habits such as people-pleasing and letting my "inner critic" talk down to myself.

One of the most unique things about this book is that the author is currently conducting an online book club
Denise
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated it a little high, but she really touched on some of my buttons: Using the "Blame Game" (passive way to express anger, YIKES), "catastrophizing","controlling" & "over-achieving behaviors" (When you spread yourself so thin, you lose focus, when you lose focus you aren't as productive as possible and there is more margin for error. Studies show that multi-tasking actually lowers productivity - I actually don't even know where to go with this). Lastly, why the hell is it so hard to accep ...more
Ania
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Właściwie to 4,5 gwiazdki.
Bo to jednak książka, przy początku której miałam ochotę krzyczeć co 2 strony "TAK, TAK! To ja, ja też tak czuję!" na zmianę z "Boże, nie wierzę, że jest jeszcze ktoś kto myśli tak samo!". Autorka niewątpliwie była "w czarnej dupie" i doskonale wie jak się z niej wydostać i że nie jest to łatwa praca. Przy okazji jednak jest cudownie współodczuwająca i szczera do bólu. Nie pozwoli ci, żebyś oszukiwała siebie i pokaże palcem, gdzie i kiedy to robisz.
A przy tym nie mówi
JourdeMars
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad, 3.5.

Este libro resulta bastante útil para todo aquel que esté pasando por un momento díficil en su vida. Pero no uno cualquiera, sino uno que la propia persona no es capaz de identificar o cuya gravedad ha llegado a tal punto que ha paralizado el curso de su vida. Suena drástico pero hay personas que no tienen realmente una vida normal y no son conscientes de que cosas tan sencillas que hacen y que les puede resultar cotidianas están afectando a su felicidad o la capacidad de conseg
Mary Clare
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Full review!

In this book, Owen explores 14 commonly held habits, how to identify them, how they are holding you back, and how you can start to get rid of them.

How to Stop Feeling Like Shit is a great starter kit for someone who is looking for some guidance on how to get out of an emotional rut. It's great for people who might be starting to think about what parts of their lives, minds, and behaviors might not be serving them well.

To me, the most valuable parts of this book are the parts that te
Danielle Armstrong
I’m not going to finish this one; it just didn’t click with me. Maybe I’m too far gone...🙃
Andrea
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. I’m guilty of all the habits mentioned (people pleasing, self sabotage, isolating myself, numbing, etc.) I really liked that she included exercises at the end of each chapter to help combat falling into old habits. Would recommend this to any woman I know.
Alexandra
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know if my life is forever changed by this book but it brought me comfort this week and I found myself taking notes so that's something good, yes?
Jenny
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This didn't resonate with me as much as her other book did. On the whole, it was an informative and enjoyable read. I had several of the 14 habits that I am trying to improve upon.
Karen Potts
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A self-help book with practical suggestions, a good sense of humor & helpful exercises. It helped me realize that my self-image & self-talk really need some revamping. This requires digging around in below-the-surface beliefs to see what's circulating in the subconscious layers, a process which the author guides the reader through. Change for the better is possible once it's clear what needs changing & where I want to go with it.
Carolyn
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Andrea Owen looks at 14 various ways we women employ to make our lives miserable . She then offers advise on how to overcome those soul sucking habits so that we may find happiness.
The first one, which underlies most of the others, she calls 'Being an Asshole to Yourself'. We can be brutally hard on ourselves and she gives advise on how to manage our inner critic.
The next is 'Go Away and Leave Me Alone' which deals with how we isolate ourselves and hide out as a way of prote
Sophie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was fine. I don't feel like sh*t, but I read this for a women's group I'm a part of. It's kind of a checklist of some of the behaviors that can hold us back (overachieving, people pleasing, catastrophizing, etc.) The chapter on people pleasing and setting boundaries resonated with me.
There's some good advice here. If you don't like a breezy writing style with pop culture references and swearing, this book probably is not for you.
Janet
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher -
How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t is a straight-shooting approach to self-improvement for women, one that offers no-crap truth-telling about the most common self-destructive behaviors women tend to engage in. From listening to the imposter complex and bitchy inner critic to catastrophizing and people-pleasing, Andrea Owen--a nationally sought-after life coach--crystallizes wha
Veta
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this book. It avoided the traps of a lot of self-help books that instruct readers to simply avoid negative habits. She acknowledges that overcoming years of ingrained thought patterns requires constant work and a lot of patience. She is honest and brutal without teaching to do the impossible. She advocates for healthily experiencing every emotion, especially the bad ones, and creating space to be patient with yourself while you learn to understand what makes you tick. In the beginn ...more
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, yet it's hard for me to say that I "enjoyed it". Andrea writes warmly but to the point, and yes, that point is where it hurts and what is probably keeping many of us from living a better life. To be honest, with most of the chapters, I'd go: "maybe I should skip it, this surely does not apply to me". Boy, was I wrong. I ended up grabbing the tissues more than once (specially at the end).
Andrea has the eye and the pen (keyboard?) of a great coach, but the approach and candor of
Jubilee Meyer
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This genre is my jam. I try to always be reading one self help book to keep me motivated and in check with my dreams. This book has made it into my top 10 of the genre. Andrea Owen found herself at her lowest point. Her husband cheated on her, she was struggling with alcohol abuse, and she felt like sh*t. Through emotional healing and self improvement she was able to create a life she actually loved. In this book, Andrea points out 14 self destructive behaviors that women often fall into. There ...more
Polly
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book when I was in a place where I was asking myself, "how can I stop feeling like this?" I was in a bookstore, saw this on a feature table and couldn't not buy it.
The language is informal and directed to the reader, which makes it easier to stay engaged, than with a more clinically written book. The review exercises at the end of each chapter are also helpful.
I feel that the quality of how I listen to other people has already improved and I have a better understanding of the tra
London
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Good self-help books can be quite difficult to find. Personally for me, this is true because a lot of authors may seem biased or like to create diagnoses for readers that don't apply to just anyone. I've also come across many self-help books that talk about the author's personal life more than anything. This book, however, truly caught my eye. I began reading it before I purchased it-- I wanted to sit down and really enjoy the beginning of a book amongst fellow readers in my local Barnes and Nob
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
Another sweary self-help book, but this time one aimed at women who have moments of feeling like shit.

I don't mind a sweary self-help book. If you check out my blog, I've reviewed a few and appreciate a kick up the bum now and again when I get in a funk.  I'm not offended by swearing, in fact, my mum thinks I swear like a sailor, so some straight shooting tips, anecdotes and tools to add some pep in my step is just what I need to keep self-improving.

So, is How To Stop Feeling Like Shit just the

• Inxs: Story to Story: The Official Autobiography
  • Broadcasting Happiness: The Science of Spreading Positivity and Creating a Spiral of Success
  • Lolita: The Story of a Cover Girl: Vladimir Nabokov's Novel in Art and Design
  • Find Your Happy - An Inspirational Guide on Loving Life to its Fullest
  • Change Your Life Without Getting Out of Bed: The Ultimate Nap Book
  • Operation Happiness: The 3-Step Plan to Creating a Life of Lasting Joy, Abundant Energy, and Radical Bliss
  • Very, Very, Very Dreadful: The Influenza Pandemic of 1918
  • Instant Happy: 10-Second Attitude Makeovers
  • 52 Lists for Happiness: Weekly Journaling Inspiration for Positivity, Balance, and Joy
  • Winging It
  • Description
  • 101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think
  • How to Be Married: What I Learned from Real Women on Five Continents about Surviving My First (Really Hard) Year of Marriage
  • Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life: A Kick-Butt Approach to a Better Life
  • Even Though I Don't Miss You
  • Twin Sisters
  • In Pursuit of Silence: Listening for Meaning in a World of Noise
“First, let’s pretend for a minute. Let’s say that, as the imposter complex voice tells you, you really do have no idea what you’re doing, you actually are fooling everyone, and it’s true you are in fact a big, giant fraud. Okay, seriously think about what I just said. That would take an immense amount of work. That’s pulling off a major heist, like stealing the Queen of England’s entire hat collection or something.” 3 likes
“All of this work doesn’t matter if you aren’t clear on who you are, what you’re after, and what it looks like on a day-to-day basis.” 0 likes