Start by marking “How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t: 14 Habits that Are Holding You Back from Happiness” as Want to Read:

For everyone who loved You Are a Badass and The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck--a cut-through-the-crap guide to quitting the self-destructive habits that undermine happiness and success

How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t
is a straight-shooting approach to self-improvement for women, one that offers no-crap truth-telling about the most common self-destructive behaviors women
Published January 2nd 2018 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t

Start your review of How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t: 14 Habits that Are Holding You Back from Happiness
Elyse  Walters
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Library overdrive Audiobook,
read by the author: Andrea Owen

This book was valuable and relatable.
I never once rolled my eyes > a plus!

I just purchased the physical book, and plan to do the exercises- as on paper -in a notebook... while on vacation.
Happy to have others join.📝💕
Ill take the book with me to Hawaii ...
leaving Dec 1st for two weeks.

In my thinking, this its a great book to work with at the end of the year/start of a new year. Personal inventory is not a bad thing!

Im familiar- in
7jane
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to 7jane by: Pinterest
3.5 stars (mainly because of the fewness of my habits to repair, and the lightness - though goodness - of solutions)

Now, this book is meant for women with certain bad action habits, though I feel that some men might benefit from borrowing this somewhere :) The author talks about 14 habits to break, habits that undermine one's happiness. She's no stranger to many of these habits, but is now (mostly) better. The point is to replace the habit with a better habit(s). Each chapter introduces the
Carrie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think this book was even for me. I mean, I don't feel like sh*t, for starters. I'm pretty together. I've done lots of "self-work." And yet... to my surprise, I found myself on nearly every page. And always with a straightforward and so helpful here's-what-to-do-about-it.

The author is direct but never lacks kindness. She's as compassionate as she's frank. And she's funny.

I loved the writing. I'm already using the advice. And I'm better for having read this book.
Blaire Jackson
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I must say that I am not that pleased with this book. It is motivational, but it is even more clique. I felt like I already knew all of the tips that she gave and, even though I tried, I didn't get much from the book. I do recommend if you want a clean start of your life or you are in a complete rut.
Sofie
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Still feel like shit. But now I understand why.
Becky
I consider myself to not really be a fan of "self-help" books, but I think that when I think of them, I think of the new age/spiritual/positivity movement style books that I think are a waste of my time. I am a cynical skeptic, and books like "Think Yourself Rich" (your choice which one, there are plenty) or "The Secret" just seem like a bunch of bunk to me. Maybe they work for you, but they won't for me, because I'm not interested. At all.

But, despite being not a fan of "self-help" books, I've
Sharon :)
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!!!! Definitely will re-read and reference again.
Roland
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I did not know that this book was intended for women when I started it, but it had some good advice that applies to anyone.
Katie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gets four stars because of the chapter on overachieving. I found that many traits either didnt apply to me, or were ones Ive read about thoroughly elsewhere (self-compassion vs self-criticism, and perfectionism). But the chapter on overachieving was so on-the-nose, that I have to believe some of the other chapters would be much more meaningful to others:
Overachieving is making your accomplishments who you are. Its basing your self-worth on your accomplishments. Many overachievers hold
Lata
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auth-f, x2019-read
A straightforward, amusingly profane approach to doing the hard work of dealing with ones emotions and potentially harmful behaviours. The author poses good questions, and provides a small set of really tough but worthwhile things to do at the conclusion of each chapter. ...more
Jennifer Tuggey
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book started out with me deeply connecting to it. I was so invested. I bought a notebook, answered her questions, was heavily involved. The list of different categories about my life and how self-talk about them was very eye opening to me, and a little bit sad. But then it suddenly stopped applying to me. Im not an over-achiever, and I NEVER use the word cojones.

I guess I struggle with most self-help books. I need to read them, I want to read them, but then... the people writing them are
Amy
This title jumped off the bookstore shelf at me ... given that I was in the midst of thinking through how to make some changes in my own life, I went ahead and picked it up. I wouldn't say it was life changing but it did give me some things to think about. I found that I really related to quite a bit of this book and found some strategies that I'll be putting into place. There is some 'woo woo' sort of stuff here so if that will turn you off, this might not be for you. I didn't find an issue ...more
Pooja
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
"We live in a culture that profits from women not feeling good enough, beautiful enough, thin enough, everything enough."

We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible. We drink coffee, a lot of it . . . We are the daughters of feminists who said, You can be anything and we heard, You have to be everything.

PERFECT GIRLS, STARVING DAUGHTERS BY COURTNEY E. MARTIN
Nikki
Still feel like shit but in a slightly more self-aware way. Three stars. Added an extra one for that cover and title.
Mary Clare
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Full review!

In this book, Owen explores 14 commonly held habits, how to identify them, how they are holding you back, and how you can start to get rid of them.

How to Stop Feeling Like Shit is a great starter kit for someone who is looking for some guidance on how to get out of an emotional rut. It's great for people who might be starting to think about what parts of their lives, minds, and behaviors might not be serving them well.

To me, the most valuable parts of this book are the parts that
Jubilee Meyer
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This genre is my jam. I try to always be reading one self help book to keep me motivated and in check with my dreams. This book has made it into my top 10 of the genre. Andrea Owen found herself at her lowest point. Her husband cheated on her, she was struggling with alcohol abuse, and she felt like sh*t. Through emotional healing and self improvement she was able to create a life she actually loved. In this book, Andrea points out 14 self destructive behaviors that women often fall into. There ...more
Margot Note
"A great mantra for self-forgiveness is: 'I'm human, and I made a mistake'" (21).

"Part of boundaries is being able to say no and having it just be a no" (102).

"The alluring and tempting promise perfection makes is this: if we look perfect and behave perfectly, we can avoid the pain of rejection, or being 'less than,' thus also avoiding one of the most painful feelings of them all--shame" (11o).

"Being strong is
--Asking for help
--Not doing All the Things just because we can do All the Things.
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing groundbreaking, but a good introductory round-up of the habits we have that hold us back. Sometimes it's good to remind yourself of the basics before really diving deep into self-therapy.
The tone can be a little grating at times, but it's a quick read.
Sierra Menzies
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: improvement
I really enjoyed this book! I'm glad I stumbled upon it at my local bookstore and I enjoyed (even though it made me uncomfortable) working on thinking about some of the tougher issues that keep me feeling kind of shitty. I've already noticed some positive improvements in my life as I've worked on some of the habits such as people-pleasing and letting my "inner critic" talk down to myself.

One of the most unique things about this book is that the author is currently conducting an online book club
Kelly
This was my morning commute listen for most of January, to try to get myself focused and calm and ready to set more positive goals for the day. It worked, mostly, at least for a bit each morning. :) This is kind of like a teaser survey course of the ideas of the biggest self-help books being passed around right now. Theres a lot of Brene Brown lite, you know theres come Love Warrior references. Some chapters are basically just their stuff reworked, shorter, with different anecdotes and fewer ...more
Carolyn
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Andrea Owen looks at 14 various ways we women employ to make our lives miserable . She then offers advise on how to overcome those soul sucking habits so that we may find happiness.
The first one, which underlies most of the others, she calls 'Being an Asshole to Yourself'. We can be brutally hard on ourselves and she gives advise on how to manage our inner critic.
The next is 'Go Away and Leave Me Alone' which deals with how we isolate ourselves and hide out as a way of
Veta
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: electronic, own
I quite liked this book. It avoided the traps of a lot of self-help books that instruct readers to simply avoid negative habits. She acknowledges that overcoming years of ingrained thought patterns requires constant work and a lot of patience. She is honest and brutal without teaching to do the impossible. She advocates for healthily experiencing every emotion, especially the bad ones, and creating space to be patient with yourself while you learn to understand what makes you tick. In the ...more
Denise
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated it a little high, but she really touched on some of my buttons: Using the "Blame Game" (passive way to express anger, YIKES), "catastrophizing","controlling" & "over-achieving behaviors" (When you spread yourself so thin, you lose focus, when you lose focus you aren't as productive as possible and there is more margin for error. Studies show that multi-tasking actually lowers productivity - I actually don't even know where to go with this). Lastly, why the hell is it so hard to ...more
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, yet it's hard for me to say that I "enjoyed it". Andrea writes warmly but to the point, and yes, that point is where it hurts and what is probably keeping many of us from living a better life. To be honest, with most of the chapters, I'd go: "maybe I should skip it, this surely does not apply to me". Boy, was I wrong. I ended up grabbing the tissues more than once (specially at the end).
Andrea has the eye and the pen (keyboard?) of a great coach, but the approach and candor of
Polly
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book when I was in a place where I was asking myself, "how can I stop feeling like this?" I was in a bookstore, saw this on a feature table and couldn't not buy it.
The language is informal and directed to the reader, which makes it easier to stay engaged, than with a more clinically written book. The review exercises at the end of each chapter are also helpful.
I feel that the quality of how I listen to other people has already improved and I have a better understanding of the
Karen Potts
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A self-help book with practical suggestions, a good sense of humor & helpful exercises. It helped me realize that my self-image & self-talk really need some revamping. This requires digging around in below-the-surface beliefs to see what's circulating in the subconscious layers, a process which the author guides the reader through. Change for the better is possible once it's clear what needs changing & where I want to go with it.
Andrea
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Im guilty of all the habits mentioned (people pleasing, self sabotage, isolating myself, numbing, etc.) I really liked that she included exercises at the end of each chapter to help combat falling into old habits. Would recommend this to any woman I know. ...more
Danielle Armstrong
Im not going to finish this one; it just didnt click with me. Maybe Im too far gone...🙃 ...more
Alexandra
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know if my life is forever changed by this book but it brought me comfort this week and I found myself taking notes so that's something good, yes?
Tiffany
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Well, this is certainly a book to kick start 2020.

This is my first time reading a self-help book and in no way do I stray from them it's just I've never felt the urge to read one. But this time it was different, I was going through changes in my life and it made me feel, well, shit. So when I came across the title of this book I jumped on it straight away.

The book started strong and instantly felt familiar to me. I didn't identify with all the habits, but it did make me think of how it applied
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Power of Self-Compassion
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • Get Happy!: Lessons in Lasting Happiness
  • Why Do I Feel Like an Imposter?: How to Understand and Cope with Imposter Syndrome
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Boundaries with Kids: How Healthy Choices Grow Healthy Children
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • How to Get Sh*t Done: Why Women Need to Stop Doing Everything so They Can Achieve Anything
  • Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol
  • Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life
  • Beyond Beautiful: A Practical Guide to Being Happy, Confident, and You in a Looks-Obsessed World
  • Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...
“First, let’s pretend for a minute. Let’s say that, as the imposter complex voice tells you, you really do have no idea what you’re doing, you actually are fooling everyone, and it’s true you are in fact a big, giant fraud. Okay, seriously think about what I just said. That would take an immense amount of work. That’s pulling off a major heist, like stealing the Queen of England’s entire hat collection or something.” 3 likes
“The goal here is to realize you’re doing it so you can immediately choose not to fall down the rabbit hole of feeling like the biggest failure that ever graced this planet.” 2 likes