Start by marking “Prelude To Insurrection (The Dragon Songs Saga #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Prelude To Insurrection (The Dragon Songs Saga #0.5)

Prelude To Insurrection

(The Dragon Songs Saga #0.5)

Only an orphan half-elf spy can avert a rebellion before it starts.

Jie’s superior senses have made her the perfect lookout. Now, as the adopted daughter of the Black Lotus Clanmaster, she wants to prove her pointed ears aren’t a liability when she’s tasked to infiltrate a rebel lord’s castle.

In this prequel novelette to Songs of Insurrection, Jie must decide between her du
Kindle Edition, 1, 74 pages
Published May 3rd 2017 by Three Moons Press

To ask other readers questions about Prelude To Insurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prelude To Insurrection

Start your review of Prelude To Insurrection (The Dragon Songs Saga #0.5)
Catrin Russell
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
In flowing prose and intricate narrative, this little short story is packed with tasteful details and world-building. The characters are well-written despite the shortness on space, and the storyline is exciting.

My only complaint would be that it introduces a lot of things, some of which are never explained (understandable enough, since it's a short story), but some could have just been left out altogether to allow the story to speak for itself. It had enough going for it anyway, with its intrig
Jamie Edmundson
A short prequel to the Dragon Songs Saga, starring a female half-elf called Jie in a medieval Asian inspired setting which felt different.
Quite a lot packed into it, including some political intrigue and a fair slice of action. The MC is a spy/ secret operative and the action actually felt a bit like a stealth based video game.
Well written and suggests that the main series would appeal to those who like ninja elf action scenes!
Shāfiya Mū
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Damn, that was pretty great. I love the action and hints of political strife. Looking forward to diving into the full blown novels next.
Dianne
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, own, purchased
You know how it is when one character will just jump out at you, the character that plays a pivotal role in an ongoing saga, the one you NEED to know more about and yet, their past remains shrouded? PRELUDE TO INSURRECTION is J.C. Kang’s answer to who IS Jie and what made her the warrior she is today? Discover Jie as a younger elf, feel what she feels and witness one of the experiences that made her who she is.

It is brief “preludes” like this one from J.C. Kang that gives life and dimension to
Lana
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very short story, my only complaint is that it was in fact too short, as the heroine of the story was Jie the black fists, young elf herself and she was on a scouting mission in the dangerous terrain outside the wall. Lord Shi was mining for gold or so he said when in fact his people were producing fire powder and getting ready to rise up against the emperor of Cathay. Jie's usual courageous and brash ability can save the day if she can decide who to protect, the downtrodden people or ...more
Emily Pennington
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Jie, a half-elf, snatched Lord Shi’s 7-year-old son in mid-air as he tripped toward the open fire pit. The shocked nursemaid reprimanded him, then offered two lovely hair pins to Jie. But Jie kindly refused to take them since they probably were valued possessions. As she looked around, she glanced at one of the mines where something secretive seemed to be going on. She took a dinner tray and sought out Lord Shi to try to figure what he was up to that he would risk angering both the Emperor and t ...more
Rabid Reader
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-fantasy
I really enjoyed rereading this glimpse of Jie in the early days of her Black Lotus career. She is my favourite character in the Legends of Tivara stories and this tale makes you love her all the more. The author did a great job of demonstrating the start of a career, we get to see a less accomplish Jie; her skills and quick thinking are still apparent, just not as polished, assured and refined as she is in later stories. It added a nice realism to the character. This short story has intrigue, s ...more
Aj
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say I've only read a few very short stories and normally don't bother to review since that is usually about all I have to say. It's hard to pack anything of real interest into something very short, but JC Kang did just that with this prequel to his Tivara series.

Jie is a very interesting character. Quick thinking and capable and it was interesting to see some of her beginning origins. This was also a good short introduction to the world of Tivara. Good fantasy read. Look forward t
Catherine Fitzsimmons
In a word, sharp. Great sense of setting with minimal description, great action and high tension in a complex but easy to follow plot of political intrigue, wonderful moments of humour, and a very satisfyingly portrayed main character. Grabs you from the first line and keeps the hooks in throughout. This has definitely served the author's purpose, because I'm very curious for more.
BELLE || of the || BOOKSHELVES
🌟🌟🌟🌟 ~ couldn't-put-it-down great

This is a prequel novella to the Dragon Songs Saga that introduces Jie, a half-elf woman who is anxious to prove that her elvish appearance won't compromise her infiltration abilities as a spy. In the end, she makes a compassionate decision that goes against her training, which made me admire her and I can't wait to start Songs of Insurrection to get to know her more!

There were some details that didn't make sense at first, but the author also provided an informat
Cathy
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the plot and the characters were interesting. I'd like to see how the plot line develops. I think the author needs to tighten the dialog a bit, as I felt the characters had a tendency to ramble on a bit. It has great potential.
Yancy Eam
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mid-shelf-review
My first story into J.C. Kang's fantasy world. In a way it met my expectations with it being a short story for the current situation our heroine was in. Jei seems like an interesting character so far and I'm interested to see her origins and where she goes from there in this world. 3.5/5 stars.
Hector Santiago
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story has the beginnings of one great series can't wait to read it all
Bertha Alicia
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A prelude to the Dragon Songs Saga

A short story about Jie, one character from the Dragon Song Saga. It is really short, indeed! But a good way of presenting her to the readers.
Larry Plemmons
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting story with a good plot and strong characters. Well worth the short time it takes to read it.
Fiona Andrew
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great wee story

Great introduction to Jie and how she knew about the layout of the fortress. I love the character of Jie.
Christine Marie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Learning of Jie and her history helps us understand why she is the way is she. And how she became the warrior of the Black Fist within the Saga. I look forward to continuing the story!
A_MOTUS
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice introduction to the world of Jie and to her work.
Jackie
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jie is an amazing character to start this series with for me. Loved reviewing and learning all about the story.
Victoria
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting plot and well written. An introduction to some of the characters.
Can't wait to start the main story!
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella, own-it
This is an excellent prequel to The Dragon Songs Saga! This is my first story by this Author and I am looking forward to reading the entire series. The cover is really cool.
OldBird
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Jie, a half-elf recruit of the Black Lotus clan, has infiltrated the staff of Lord Shi to determine just what it is he's up to. If his illegal mining operation and fraternising with foreigners wasn't bad enough, she's sure there's something more going on. If she can find out what, maybe she can stop the bloodshed that's sure to claim the innocent lives of Lord Shi's people when the Emperor loses patience...

It's a fast paced little novella introducing the character of Jie and some of the concepts
Barefoot Gypsy Jimerson
Goodread

Fast pace read keeps you on your toes. Lot of twist an turns. Jie is good at her job but at times off her mark. This fantasy story is a different world which makes it fun to read.
Jason
Mar 02, 2020
Kelly
Jan 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Venom of the Black Lotus: A Legends of Tivara Story (Scions of the Black Lotus)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Battleborn Mage, #0)
  • The Books of Caledan Trilogy (Books of Caledan, #1-3)
  • The Pirate's Scourge (Blood Sea Tales Book 1)
  • Heroes Wanted: A Fantasy Anthology
  • A Counterfeit Princess
  • Angels Descendants (Angels and Demons, Book two)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library #6)
  • The Fool's Path: Arcana Book One
  • Meta Marshal Service 1: An Urban Fantasy Harem Adventure
  • The Magestaff (The Seven Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Banished Craft (Shkode, #1)
  • The Academy (The Seven Kingdoms #2)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Nothing Without Us
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)
  • Depends on the Strength of the Yes
  • Meta Marshal Service 2

The Dragon Songs Saga (4 books)
  • Songs of Insurrection (The Dragon Songs Saga #1)
  • Orchestra of Treacheries (The Dragon Songs Saga #2)
  • Dances of Deception (The Dragon Songs Saga #3)
  • Symphony Of Fates (The Dragon Songs Saga #4)