Start by marking “git commit murder” as Want to Read:
git commit murder

git commit murder

“If Agatha Christie ran Unix Conventions”

The BSD North conference draws some of the smartest people in the world. These few days will validate Dale Whitehead’s work—or expose him as a fraud.

When a tragic death devastates the conference, only Dale suspects murder.

Computer geeks care about code.

But do they care enough… to kill?
Published March 23rd 2017

To ask other readers questions about git commit murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about git commit murder

Start your review of git commit murder
MBybee
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This isn't a story for everyone, but if you are the right audience (and you know who you are), this book is an excellent combination of wit, storytelling, and mystery.

The main character is beautifully developed, the cast and locations fleshed out, and the pacing is great.

A new favorite mystery for me, and I just may have to get it in paperback too.
Kyla Squires
I considered attending BSDCan in Ottawa this year. Instead, I stayed home and read this murder mystery set at a fictional version of this conference.

It was very enjoyable, and very readable. I almost gave it 4 stars for how delightful the premise is. I honestly have no idea if it would be so enjoyable if you are not familiar with the tech industry.

There is an innocent quality to this book that I associate with people who enjoy British murder mysteries who decide to write a murder mystery. As is
Saint Lart
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good show, good sir.

Ok. I bought this book under false pretense.
shelf GIT technical book. What I actually got was so much better. A main character many of us techno geeks can partially identity with. SOs to many in the tech community. This is easily the cleanest fiction I've read by him. I was even a bit misty during the auction.
Ian Schulze
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a computer geek, the book had me from the title. The reason I gave it four stars is because there are a number of times where I thought "okay, we get it" when the author mentioned the main character sweating through another shirt or being nervous with another human interaction. That said, the story moves quickly and kept me engaged. I enjoyed the story!

The printing could use some spelling corrections though. There are a number of typos in the beginning, they seem to go away near the middle, t
Jessica Alter
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To be perfectly honest, I was concerned when I was recommended this book to read. I am a Linux end user, and I'm familiar with BSD, and I even once was a BSD GUI-facing end user. I just don't have the depth of programming ability to get to a command line and start fixing things at terminal level without an inordinate amount of hand-holding.

So it started, for me, as an amusing 3 then 4 out of 5 that turned "unputdownable" about a quarter of the way in. M. W. Lucas beautifully portrayed the intens
Craig Maloney
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit that I'm not one for reading murder mysteries. The last mysteries I've read had characters like Encyclopedia Brown or Jack McGurk as the protagonist. So I'm not qualified to tell if this is a by-the-numbers homage to Agatha Christie (who gets mentioned several times in this book, so I'm inclined to believe if it is it's intentional). What I did find was a murder mystery set in a place that I am intimately familiar: a computer conference. Michael's attention to detail of the conference ...more
Jon Spriggs
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really well written, and very believable. The main character is a slightly grey-hat hacker, looking for his way into the source trees of both the 10% most used server OS on the planet, and the 10% most used Web publishing engine. Not for nefarious reasons, just... because he can. He's at a BSD conference as a speaker, when his room-mate is murdered during the morning keynote... and our hero has the tools to find out who did it.

If you've ever been to an IT conference, you are likely to recognise
Thore Husfeldt
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well-crafted, classical whodunnit at a software developers conference. The premise is brilliant; the awkward main character suffers from social anxiety and attention deficit order and very well executed; the author knows his technology, so the technobabble is solid. Also, genuinely funny and surprisingly humane.

Strongly recommended to programmers; must-read for people who obsess over version control. For non-tech readers this remains a solid murder mystery with a welcome look into the head of
Ruben Bañuelos
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book combines the thrill of a murder mystery with the ordeals of living with social anxiety. The writing keeps things exciting while also breathing authenticity to the technical parts, without falling into being cryptic. This makes it a great reading for those savvy in open source software, without being inaccessible to a wider audience.
pluton
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book is supposed to be a detective, and it has a detective story, but it's only a small part, far from enough. Another small part is conversation fragments about BSD, git, and networks. I feel that the main character's thoughts about himself and missing social skills occupy the majority of the book — way too much space for their "importance".
William Waggoner
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you don't know what "git", "commit", or "subversion" have to do with each other then this isn't for you. If, however, these are a part of your daily life along with IRC, code reviews, software cons then you will probably enjoy this one.
Rachel
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel so seen!

This was an entertaining murder mystery, with a very relatable main character, and I swear I knew half the people at that conference.
C17r
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wasn't the deepest of plots but was a fun read.
James Tomasino
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for a very specific audience, but for that audience it is pure gold.
Venkatesh-Prasad
Apr 30, 2017
Amanda
Oct 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Bear (Ghost Mountain Wolf Shifters #6)
  • Aftermath (Decons and Magical Nulls-Elite Division #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Blanche on the Lam (Blanche White #1)
  • The Soul Engine (Happenstance and Bron #1, Alastair Stone Chronicles)
  • The Immortal Conquistador (Kitty Norville #15)
  • Coming to America: A Heartstrike Grudge (The Heartstrike Chronicles)
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • Glass World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 13)
  • The Phoenix Law (The Strongbox Chronicles #3)
  • Agency (The Peripheral #2)
  • An Unexpected Truth (Alastair Stone Chronicles)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Ruthless (The Completionist Chronicles, #4)
  • Paladin's Grace
  • Boys' Night (Way) Out (Alastair Stone Chronicles)
  • Critical Point (Cas Russell, #3)

News & Interviews