Start by marking “Functional Web Development with Elixir, Otp, and Phoenix: Rethink the Modern Web App” as Want to Read:

Elixir and Phoenix are generating tremendous excitement as an unbeatable platform for building modern web applications. Make the most of them as you build a stateful web app with Elixir and OTP. Model domain entities without an ORM or a database. Manage server state and keep your code clean with OTP Behaviours. Layer on a Phoenix web interface without coupling it to the bu ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Pragmatic Bookshelf

Be the first to ask a question about Functional Web Development with Elixir, Otp, and Phoenix

Sebastian Gebski
Not really finished enough at this point (Beta 2.0) for a star rating.

This is not really a book about web development. At this point 65-70% of the book is about functional domain modeling & ... frankly, this part is nice. It assumes prior Elixir competency, so you're not getting through all the basics & you jump straight into the problem domain, but ... my main problem was that the scenario that is implemented within the book (just 1 for whole book) is just way too
simple. Really, one wo
Jeffrey
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great read and explained several concepts more clearly than I've seen elsewhere (e.g. supervisors). It is absolutely worth a read.

I have two small complaints about the scope of this book.

First, the ending feels a little abrupt and leaves me wanting. You spend the entire book building a game and then the book ends with the Phoenix app in a state where you can only interact with it via the browser's javascript console. It would have been nice to round this out by actually implementing s
Rainer Dreyer
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The example application doesn't quite feel finished and is not the best use-case for a websocket / bi-directional connection, but the book explains the concepts nicely and shows a clean functional approach to strictly separate the business logic from the website/interface.
Geoff Lanotte
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I have been teetering between 3 and 4 stars on this one.

The good - it presented how you could use phoenix in an OTP kind of a way.

What I felt could have been better - There were no real exercises, everything was handed to you. This is a fairly serious detractor for me as it did little to close the learning loop or help close the loop. The work was mostly tested in the console and the web console. While I sometimes will do this, it is terribly inefficient. In the forums, the author said that he d
Héctor Iván Patricio Moreno
I liked the approach the author took to building the app used as an example, I think it is truly revolutionary talking about how we build software in general, we're infected by frameworks and do not code for our use cases, we program for the framework instead.

Learning about this "fresh" perspective and how Elixir and Erlang allow us to achieve it was awesome.

I also learned a lot about Elixir, OTP, and Phoenix along the way. The only thing that I think could be better is building a more complex a
Joel
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I want to like this more, but the book presents a lot of code to type in and then many chapters later that code pays off, but without context it's hard to remember all the decisions that were made before. This is the right book for that if you're going to work through it in an afternoon, but not if you're spreading things out over a week or more. A different style of iterative building than used, or any testing probably would have helped in that regard.

Another digression: there is a lot of JavaS
Jeremy Carman
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful book. He walks you through building up a game, and then interfacing to it via Phoenix channels. This book provided some interesting insights.

Pros: The author was always quick to show via iex, console, or browser what the implemented code did. It really helped me make the connection. I also like building this app from the ground up, and the authors explanation of why we used the tools we used.

Cons: The code zip/tar doesn't have a complete project to peruse, it just has pertinent files
Andreas Altendorfer
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very clear with complete example and code you can try immediately.
You should have little knowledge of Elixir/Phonix but it's definitely good for Elixir/Phoenix beginners. Although, you should have programming experience in other languages.
Alex
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book

Really liked this book, I recommend it to any elixir developer, the writer explain every action deeply and why he does that. Learn by example.
Michał Szajbe
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and concise, tackles the specific topic pretty well.
David Rueck