Start by marking “Screwjack” as Want to Read:
Screwjack

Screwjack

Hunter S. Thompson's legions of fans have waited a decade for this book.

They will not be disappointed. His notorious Screwjack is as salacious, unsettling, and brutally lyrical as it has been rumored to be since the private printing in 1991 of three hundred fine collectors' copies and twenty-six leather-bound presentation copies. Only the first of the three pieces include
Published December 2000 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Screwjack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screwjack

Crystal
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
...the heck?
Some laughable parts but overall just didn't sit good with me.

Also, another audio; I really drive a lot
Ensiform
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Three short stories. The first, “Mescalito,” is a stream of consciousness account of Thompson’s first mescaline experience, alone in an LA hotel room. A fine piece of weirdness and misanthropic torment. “Goddam is there no human peaceful sound on the radio... I hear that wily old charwoman sucking on the doorknob again, goddam her sneaky ass what does she want? I have no money.”

Next, “The Death of a Poet” is a brief, dark confrontation with a deservedly doomed friend, Leach, who beats blow-up do
Akshay
Nov 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
While people are lamenting about the short length of the book, I was happy to finish it as soon as I could. Writing without any real story.
Josh Woods
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Okay, four stars is a little high for this book but I just couldn't bring myself give it anything else purely because it was written by Hunter S. Thompson. Having said that, I wouldn't call this the best expose of Thompson's writing. There is a fairly interesting retelling of his first mescaline trip, which has moments, but there is no extended brilliance to the writing. The second story is forgettable (by which I mean I've already forgot what its about) and then there's "Screwjack", the title s ...more
John Dennehy
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short trip through our cultural and literary past, which includes some foreshadowing of American domestic life. Much is packed into this little book. You can't go wrong in picking up a copy.
Charlie Green
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Really strange, but another fanstatic example of Gonzo journalism. I had just finished researching Thompson a bit before I read this which made this short story hugely interesting to me. The bit with Screwjack his cat was quite tricky to read, and his commentary on his first trip on mescaline was very insightful!
John Defrog
One of the few HST books I haven’t read yet, mainly due to economics – I couldn’t see paying the full trade-paperback price for a 60-page book with three short pieces. Finally I got a cheap copy, and I have to say it was worthwhile only in that it was a fast way to put me another book ahead in my 2016 Reading Challenge. The first story, “Mescalito” – about his first experience with mescaline – is actually classic HST, but it also appears in Songs of the Doomed: More Notes on the Death of the Ame ...more
David Russomano
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize how short this would be before I read it. Though it provided another taste of Thompson's wild writing, none of its constituent parts seemed to go much of anywhere and the whole thing was done before it got started. Or maybe there was something wrong with the kindle version.
Kim
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. "Mescalito" is Mescalicious. Hunter really knocked it out of the park on these short stories. Short and to the crazy point. "Death of a Poet" certainly seems prophetic, doesn't it? Highly recommend, more digestable than some of his longer works...LOVE IT!
Bonnie
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
That third story was pretty damn weird but the first was incredibly clever and the second quite shocking. Overall, a quick read that fans will enjoy.
Ellen
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I picked up this book in the library because the title gave me a laugh and it was short. Well, what a waste of time! The worst book ever!
Not for me!
Nate Jordon
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Here's a little bit of Thompson at his mescaline-addled stream of consciousness best. It's a quick read and that's the only downer; one can never get enough of the Good Doctor.
Claire D
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I got this book free with a university newspaper one year - a very short story. Classic Thompson prose and very funny. Well worth a read
Jonathan Lee B.
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Screwjack is an M&M milkshake.
Jefferson Banks
May 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
No. Pointless. Nice-looking but nothing to read.
Liz
Dec 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
I think it's safe to say that gonzo isn't my thing.
Olivia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
damn, i hated this
Alex Passey
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
There's a lot to unpack here relative to how short this chaotic book is. The first story was just so bad I wouldn't have kept on reading were it written by anyone else. There's a couple of little clever quips that bubble up in that disjointed stream of consciousness, and maybe fans so desperate for any level of gonzo journalism would enjoy it, but for the most part it read to me like the sort of pulpy word juice you could squeeze out of any semi-literate person after pumping them full of halluci ...more
Aarni Seppälä
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
Screwjack includes 3 short stories written by Hunter S. Thompson.

The first story, Mescalito, was a major disappointment for me: one could recognize Thompson's brilliant writing style but the story seemed to lack substance, meaning, even. Mescalito is easily the lengthiest of the three stories, sadly I felt that it had the least to say. Mostly the story seemed as incoherent rambling. 2/5, Where one extra point comes purely from the style.

Death of a Poet was shorter and fairly concise: a
Tom Schulte
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hunter S. Thompson's "Screwjack" is as salacious, unsettling, and even brutally trio of short stories. (I think the title story is sometimes distributed alone, or maybe used to label the set.) The first of the three pieces, "Mescalito", was published in Songs of the Doomed: More Notes on the Death of the American Dream. This entire audio is enthusiastically narrated by Scott Sowers with a delivery I can easily imagine coming from HST himself.

“Screwjack”, the climactic title piece, feels like th
Gary Turner
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting to say the least. I will say for any fans of Hunter S. Thompson, check out Louisville's own Gonzofest

held every year at the library his mother worked at and he spent several hours carousing around. I guarantee you will have a wonderful time and get to meet many interesting souls and 'screwjack' fans. The mind is a marvelous creation. Not too sure one needs coal to fire the furnace. Tea on
Steven
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: addiction
I was assigned "Fear and Loathing 72" as part of required High School reading. Ever since I have been a fan of the Good Doctor and this collection of 3 short stories (about 60 pages total) was available at the library.

"Mescalito" involves a mescaline experience in a L.A. Hotel Room; "Death of a Poet" involves a visit to a friend's trailer-park; and "Screwjack" involves a sexual relationship with a black cat. If you ask me to rank these, I just did.

Clearly a lot of Thompson in these stories, but
James
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
There are different reasons to enjoy HST's writing and I'm sure this small collection resonates with some. For me though it felt like someone scraped the barrel. The first story is largely gibberish, but I never really enjoyed HST's flow-of-consciousness work, plus I am certain I've read better accounts from him around drug experiences. The third story is nearly as confusing. Only the middle story hints at HST's acerbic style and smooth flow, but it is abrupt in its shortness and shock factor.

O
Leslie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this short read. I love the way Hunter Thompson makes us so uncomfortable with his reckless lifestyle, graphically crude and violent-at-times descriptions, yet laughingly gives us a peek behind the scenes demonstrating the illusion effected by a gifted writer in control of his situation, the action, the mood, the characters; yet in reality is nothing but a reactionary figure to the world he lives in. The mounting tension, frustration and anger is released in an instant with the quick r ...more
Chad Geese
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
3 short stories that can be read in less than an hour. If you're a Hunter fan and have read previous work by all means dive right into it. If you have no clue who Hunter S. Thompson is, reading about his first mescaline trip in 1969 will be entertaining, really shouldn't start here with the gonzo journalist. I love everything about Hunter so it's no surprise that I liked screw-jack I just recommend one of his other books to start with.
Krokki
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short story collection by HST; We're taken on a ride with phenomenal gear shifting into high speed, through traffic in a triumph of tempo. As to my favorite part, "Death of a Poet" - its a f*ing masterpiece! And it might very well be the funniest orchestration of words I have ever read.

"Get in the fast lane grandma, the bingo game is ready to roll!"
Evan Colten
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was fucking wild, I can’t believe I knew so little about Hunter S. Thompson. And apparently a lot of people didn’t like this? If this is my first dip into the gonzo journalism pool, I’m very excited to read more.

After watching Naked Lunch for the first time this year I feel like I finally found something that can relate. I howled when I read “Whoops, I said. Welcome to the night train.”
Daniel LeSaint
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
One of those books that leave you asking yourself, "What the %*#! did I just read?"

I do wish Hunter had written more fiction. He understood the concept of freedom better than most, and that understanding applies as much to his writing as any other as any other aspect of his life, if not more.
Ben Johnson
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
“I am guilty, Lord, but I am also a lover - and I am one of your best people, as you know; and yea tho I have walked in many strange shadows and acted crazy from time to time and even drooled on many high priests, I have not been an embarrassment to you...”
N.
  • A Night at the Movies, Or, You Must Remember This: Fictions
  • The Awakening and Selected Short Fiction
  • Tabloid Dreams
  • Heavy Water and Other Stories
  • When The Going Gets Weird: The Twisted Life And Times Of Hunter S. Thompson:  A Very Unauthorized Biography
  • Sweet Land Stories
  • Back in the World
  • The Burroughs File
  • God Lives in St. Petersburg and Other Stories
  • Windblown World: The Journals of Jack Kerouac 1947-1954
Hunter Stockton Thompson was an American journalist and author, famous for his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He is credited as the creator of Gonzo journalism, a style of reporting where reporters involve themselves in the action to such a degree that they become the central figures of their stories. He is also known for his promotion and use of psychedelics and other mind-altering substanc ...more
“It was necessary, we felt, to thoroughly terrify our opponents, so that even in hollow victory, they would learn to fear every sunrise ...” 12 likes
“Living on pills, phone calls unmade, people unseen, pages unwritten, money unmade, pressure piling up all around to make some kind of breakthrough and get moving again. Get the gum off the rails, finish something, croak this awful habit of not ever getting to the end- of anything.” 7 likes