Start by marking “A Fragile Thing” as Want to Read:
A Fragile Thing

A Fragile Thing

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,159 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Published August 17th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about A Fragile Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fragile Thing

Liz Barnsley
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed this. It was utterly compelling and beautifully plotted.

This is the 3rd novel I've read from this author and whilst this one is less thrill filled in the action sense it is gently absorbing and driven by characters who totally engage you. Max Emerson is a man who lives within the law whilst perhaps morally being outside it - only once has he crossed a definitive line and that may well be about to come back and haunt him.

What I REALLY loved about A Fragile Thing was the b
Richard
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another dark story by the wonderful Kevin Wignall.
He is a unique talent and always produces interesting novels and short stories that make you think.
A Fragile Thing is his latest unconventional thriller that has a simple story at it's heart but than it's axis seems to constantly change.
The brilliant Max Emerson from an early age has been blessed and with a head for figures and a substantial investment has an inherent ability to make money for himself and by definition others,
Even when others are
Tracie Payne
I loved The Traitors Story and A death in Sweden, but this didn't even seem like the same author wrote it. It just felt like a whole lot of nothing and when the end finally happened, it was a huge wtf! So freaking weak and such a terrible way to wrap things up. Blah.
Kevin Reeder
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. Multiple levels in the plot and easy to read. Had a hard time putting it down.
Ken Fredette
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book by Kevin Wignall as it shifted me from crime in Scandinavia, or should I say too no crime in Italy and Switzerland. Although Kevin has written about Scandinavia he utilizes America as an off shoot to being in Switzerland as a spy. He uses Max Emerson as a money wizard to slay the dragons that have destroyed his family. He uses his "Crazy Mouse" to hunt down the killer and then lets him off to not destroy his family any more (but he leaves with the knowledge that he fou ...more
Peter Hodgson
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Whilst the sentence and paragraph composition was good. The actual story was very slow and longwinded. The advance information promised a look into the world of 'High Finance', this was not forthcoming. The whole story could have been told in a third of the number of pages.
Jessica Schlott
Oct 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller
I received the kindle version of this book in a Goodreads giveaway, in return for a honest review.

I struggled to read this from the first chapter in the book, but recently decided to try it again and I was determined to give it a chance. What shocked me in this novel is that it is labeled as a thriller, but really there isn't much action and not a lot of surprises. The majority of the book is about a lonely rich businessman who struggles to fit in with his family. Then the last 20% of the book
Jill
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Max Emerson is a man committed to his company, an international financial services company that works on behalf of clients around the world. While some of Max's clients may skirt the laws here and there (or disregard them altogether), Max declares that he and his company do not break any laws. That's not enough for his older brother though, so he is estranged from much of his family and can only visit his parents when his brother and sister aren't around.

And then comes the bad news that punches
Nina
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
As often, while reading, I was also listening to the audio. I missed a good British narrator, such as Simon Vance. Otherwise, it is an excellent read, interesting composition of mystery, spy, finance and family threads, which together make a study of fragility.

Max Emerson potrafił pieniądze odziedziczone po dziadku pomnożyć nawet w czasach kryzysu. Nie ma wyrzutów sumienia, że robi interesy z włoskim mafioso i rosyjskimi oligarchami. Prawa nie przekracza. Boli go, że w rodzinie, pod wpływem sta
Jo-anne Atkinson
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max Emerson appears to have it all, a financial whizz-kid whose success allows him the finer things in life. However Max has made his money by controlling investments for some of the shadier characters in society, and he is haunted by a deal made several years ago in which a corrupt Senator was paid off and a man died. When Max's parents are killed in a car crash he has to return to the Swiss family home and his estranged siblings but Max does not believe that the crash was an accident and revel ...more
Vera Mottino
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good but complicated story

A labyrinthine book.
More like a novel than a crime story. Numerous twists and unexpected events in this white collar crime story. High finances, mafia, FBI, family conflicts, and hush-hush about everything. To understand it all one has to read it to the end.
I would have given it five stars were it not for some niggling things that bothered me - Wignall is a good writer but in my opinion he falls below some of his other books. This one is not as good.

Amy Peck
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another page turner from Kevin Wignall

A quick yet interesting story - an extremely successful young man with questionable clients and his family dealing with ethical dilemmas, family secrets, and loss overlaid with Feds and foreign intrigue. A good read. I love just about everything Kevin Wignall writes and “A Fragile Thing” is no exception! It’s not his best work, the story could’ve been a bit tighter and not as simplistic, but I couldn’t put it down. Can’t wait for his next release.
Lino A. Darchun
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Unfinished

There were too many loose ends to make this as enjoyable a read as it could have been. Also Max's absolution for his involvement in Manning's death does not ring true or moral. Further, Nicholas' treachery required more of a response from Max short of killing him. Max may have a deserved a little love in his life. And who cares about Saul Goldstein? Tying up some of these loose ends would have provided me a more satisfying read.
Edward Allyn
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Almost a one nighter

I was so wrapped up in this book after I began reading it that dawn was breaking when I put it down, and I was only half way through. I woke up early this morning and finished it.
I was fascinated by the authors take on the main characters interactions with others, especially those emotionally charged ones with his family. A man of contradictions and pathos. I highly recommend it to you.
Debi Burns
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read Kevin Wignall’s book A Death in Sweden last summer and have since listened to the audio book. A Fragile Thing is the third of His books I have read and it was excellent. Every one of his books I have read or listened to at least twice. (I might add that the narrators on the audio books were all very engaging). His work is very intriguing. I’m anxiously awaiting his new book To Die in Vienna to be released Thursday, 6/14/2018.
Jerra Runnels
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced and enjoyable

I am a big fan of Wignall’s stories, and this one was a favorite. It wasn’t too long or too detailed, and I liked the overlap of the professional and personal lives the main character experienced. It was hard to know who to trust towards the end, and the ending was climatic but not so much with Goldstein. I wish that would hav been developed a little more in depth. In all a good story, and one I would recommend to someone who enjoys spy stories.
Pat
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting beach read while I was on vacation. The setting in Lake Maggiore was fun and I enjoyed unraveling Max's family background. Maybe I'm getting jaded by age, but the various family and moral conflicts were a little too neatly wrapped up, especially the main murder. I love a good thriller and don't expect reality. I did enjoy it though, and found myself reading into the night. So a "3" rating with "I liked it" seems fitting.
barbara jones
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as his last two books. Lacks the intrigue of those two stories.

I was disappointed that his main character was just a financial wiz. Very , very rich but lonely. Not one of Kevin's better books. No depth. No real story to keep you enthralled and feeling like you did not want to put the story down. Better luck next time Kevin.
Walt Mccluskey
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fragile thing

One of the best novels I've read in quite a while and definitely a big step above the standard mystery thriller one usually encounters. The ending was unexpected but when considered in the light of the care used in the writing style of this author was a special focus of all the questions life dealt the characters.
MRS C ARMSTRONG
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and different

I love this author, every book he writes is different and fresh. They are engaging from the beginning and this one particularly so as it started in one direction but finished in another. I also liked the moral thread regarding the true value of money and happiness. Please keep them coming Mr Wignall....
Alison
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Brilliant Thing

Could not put down this book. Was delighted to see Wignall had written a new book -- and even more delighted to read every tantalizing word of this well-plotted, extremely well-written novel. The only thing I didn't like? It ended. I just wanted to keep reading about Max, his family and employees. Maybe in another year?
Gill Goody
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from this author

I have read most of this author`s books and enjoyed them all.
Although they generally have dark undertones, I usually get to like the main characters and agree with every act/assassination that takes place, generally with justification.
I read this latest offering within two days which shows how much I enjoyed it.
George W Carey
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of Kevin Wignall,s best novels.

I have read other novels by the author ,but this story was one of the best.
It was suspenseful,excellent development of characters and a very unexpected ending. However, I would like to know what really happened to the senator. I want to read more by Wignall.
Steven Whisenand
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Mystery continued through out the story beginning to end. True family experiences described from childhood rivalries through adult resolutions. Read and enjoy the uncovering of government agency fallacies. All begin and end with individual and group involvement.
Sue Bernstein
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Received this book free by entering a Goodreads giveaway. My expectations were low and expected a formulaic thriller. I was pleasantly surprised. Good depth of the main character and I never knew where the story was leading. Highly recommend.
Kevin
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmm, not sure how I feel about this one. Some interesting elements and characters but left me kind of confused at the end. Almost felt like book one in a series where the characters are introduced but there is a lot left to flush out. Ending felt abrupt. Still mulling it.
Sue Watson
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Families are funny

I mean that in so many ways. We have to work at relationships, but do we ever truly know the people we are related to by blood or by choice? Wignall has created some wonderful characters and relationships.
kathy
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this book, it was very well written and i liked all the characters in it

I liked the fact that all the loose ends were tied up. The story kept your interest all the way to the end
Sharon
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A compelling, complex tale of finance, family, murder, resentment, government agencies and criminals. It is the tale of a man caught in the middle of of a world that is disintegrating around him, where everything he knows is suddenly not as it has always seemed. It is fascinating book.
Susan
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found some aspects of this book interesting but felt unsatisfied at the end. There were too many story thread left unresolved. Also, the ending itself was somewhat incomplete and left you wondering why some elements were introduced if they were going nowhere.
Army Child till age nine.

Settled back in a small town in the west of England.

Lancaster University - degree in Politics &

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)