Start by marking “Don't Let Go” as Want to Read:
Don't Let Go

Don't Let Go

In an idyllic resort on the island of La Réunion, Liane Bellion and her husband Martial are enjoying the perfect moment with their 6-year-old daughter. Turquoise skies, blue sea, palm trees, a warm breeze.

Then Liane disappears. She went up to her hotel room between 3 and 4pm and never came back. Her husband, worried, had gone to the room along with the concierge - the room
Published April 27th 2017 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (first published March 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Let Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Let Go

Start your review of Don't Let Go
Paromjit
Having loved Black Water Lilies by Bussi, I was thrilled to be reading this latest offering. This tense psychological thriller is set on the beautiful Indian Ocean island of Reunion with its strong connections with France. It is viewed by the French as a place that epitomised harmony amidst all the races, although if you are non white, your opinion is likely to differ on this assessment, given the racism. Bussi gives us an indepth feel of Reunion, past slavery, the culture, language, food, histo ...more
Aditi
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
“We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged.”

----Heinrich Heine

Michel Bussi, a French award-winning author, pens his latest crime thriller, Ne lâche pas ma main translated into English with the title, Don't Let Go. The story revolves around a happy married couple and their young daughter, while holidaying at a French island, the wife goes missing without a trace but leaving behind a trail of clues and eye-witnesses that make the husband a sure shot suspect, and when the loc
Wendy
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** ACTUAL RATING: 4.5 /5 ***

It’s such a pleasure to kick back and settle down with a book from an author who is reliably brilliant; other than knowing you’re in for a treat you have no idea what to expect, as every story has been utterly unique in their presentation, plot, and finale.

Don’t Let Go exceeded my expectations as it’s a cracker of a cunning mystery, nurtured to perfection.

A missing wife, an anxious husband, and their blood-splattered hotel room all point to a grave outcome, but state
Karen
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's probably not going to come as any surprise to find that DON'T LET GO jumped up the reading queue as quickly as possible, because every novel from Michel Bussi I've read now has been clever, different and intriguing. DON'T LET GO didn't disappoint, it's all of those things and more.

In it we have a family on holidays on the island of La Réunion. Liane leaves her husband Martial and their daughter poolside to head back to their hotel room for a short break and vanishes. There's blood everywher
Geevee
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as strong as his "After the Crash" or "Black Water Lillies".

The plot is fine with a wife's disappearance and a husband seen to be involved and with a soon to be uncovered dark secret. However, parts of the story and characters added little whilst other's actions felt inexplicable or contrived.

I didn't really connect with the central characters or the wider story, so a 2.5 rounded up to 3. A shame as Mr Bussi's other books have been ones I really enjoyed.
Denise
Deliver us from evil...

On holiday, Martial and Liane Bellion and their six-year-old daughter, Sopha, are enjoying the tropical paradise that is Reunion Island. This particular day will not end well. When Martial goes up to their hotel room to check on Liane, she's missing, there's blood everywhere and all of her personal effects are gone. The police are on the scene immediately. They know that the husband is the immediate suspect. Witness testimony places him at the scene and a there's a knife w
Agnieszka Higney
A disappointment.Man hunt crime caper set in the paradise ,which is Reunion Island.Not worthy of the genius that Bussi proved to be with Black Water Lilies.One psychopath on a revenge mission doesn't make a great thriller.None of the characters were too likeable and the females served only one purpose, if they weren't psychos.Wouldn't recommend.
Angela Smith
I did really enjoy this book and not too much got lost in translation as it sometimes does with books that are translated from one language to another. It did have it's moments when it seemed a bit stilted but it didn't take away too much from the story or the flow of the book. It was a pretty fast read or perhaps I had trouble putting it down at times?

Martial and Liane Bellion are holidaying on the island of Réunion. They are there with their six year old daughter, Sopha. Liane Bellion goes up
Jo
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
On the island of Reunion, a young French couple are holidaying with their young daughter. One day the mother goes missing after heading to the hotel room for a siesta. Police investigate and are about to arrest the husband as all the evidence points to him when he absconds with his daughter. This was brilliant with lots of twists and turns and it had me gripped throughout. Bussi has cemented himself as one of my favourite crime writers.
Russell Atkinson
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My wife read the French version, but my French isn't that good, so I followed her recommendation and got the English version. The translation is excellent. Martial and Liane Bellion are lying about the pool at a resort on Réunion Island, a department of France. Liane goes up to the room and is not seen again. Martial has a friend watch his young daughter while he goes looking for her. He reports her missing to the police. When the police arrive, they find signs of a struggle and blood in the Bel ...more
Cathy Cole
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Don't Let Go because the premise sounded intriguing and because I'd never read anything set on Réunion Island which is east of Madagascar. I got a good feel for the location in terms of landscape, weather, and its rather complicated social history, and that's always a plus for this armchair traveler. Another plus is that the book satisfies more than that one reading necessity.

The point of view switches back and forth from the local police captain to her second-in-command to the prime
Antenna
On holiday in the French tropical paradise of Réunion, Liane Bellion disappears from her hotel room, leaving only evidence of a struggle. As the damning evidence against him mounts, her husband Martial decides to go on the run with the couple’s pampered but bright six-year-old daughter Sopha. This being a novel by Michel Bussi, Martial is unlikely to have murdered his wife, but is unable to prove his innocence, plus he could well have committed some other crime, or be about to do so.

In the same
Deborah
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn’t realise until I picked this book up that it was a translation. I had some bad experiences with translated books a few years ago and have pretty much stayed away ever since – which I know is very close-minded and English-centric of me. I can’t help but wonder how it works as well… so much of someone’s writing is caught up in the way they turn a phrase, which makes a translated book very VERY dependent on its translator. It’s almost as if they could make, or break, a book.

As far as I coul
Jo-anne Atkinson
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sun-kissed volcanic island of Reunion sits in the middle of the Indian Ocean and is a melting pot of cultures, from the colonial French to the Malabars, to the Creoles and more. But beneath the surface of a tropical paradise tensions run deep, resentment, unemployment, racism and issues with drugs. When a beautiful French tourist disappears from a luxury hotel the local police initially suspect kidnapping but then their suspicion falls on her husband. When more bodies are found and the husba ...more
Kerrie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several narrators in this story: Martial Bellion, his small daughter Sopha, police investigator Captain Aja Purvi, her sergeant Christos Konstantinov, just to name a few.

Liane Bellion's disappearance from her hotel room is treated very seriously right from the beginning, particularly because of the blood stains on the bed and the floor. It seems that her husband Martial is in the clear until it is discovered that he visited the bedroom shortly after Liane went there. His access to a la
Shira
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Busssi shows us a world within another world ; that of people of color and the prejudices which the tourists do not see. He describes the island so well that you feel as if you were there, and finishes with a final word so moving it demands thought, and even an immediate re-read. (Also may go well with Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment, many thanks to Ruth for her review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

Shira HoloceneHuman Era Destinie
24 A
Rachael
On the whole, an enjoyable book that had me hooked until the end. I did find some of the book slow, which may have been because of the translation from its original language, or it may have been done on purpose, but I feel that the plot could have done with speeding up in certain parts.

However, I was genuinely shocked at some of the twists and turns and there was a lot to enjoy in this book, including character that were actually likable - definitely a book worth reading.
Stephen Barker
Sep 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-ya-fiction
Made the mistake of thinking Thriller reviewers work to the same standards as others... This was rated as one of the best of the year etc etc. Stereotyped characters, terrible dialogue, plodding plot with a non-credible "twist" leading to a dire ending. Perhaps it was better in French! (Nevertheless Reunion Island sounds an interesting place)
Megan Jones
On the idyllic island of Reunion, Martial and Liane Bellion are enjoying a perfect moment with their six year-old daughter, Sopha. Then Liane disappears, she went up to her hotel room between 3 and 4pm and never returned. Upon opening the room, they find blood everywhere. Martial seems the obvious suspect but then he and Sopha disappear. A manhunt is declared on the island. Even though everything is pointing to him, is Martial really guilty?
This novel had a slow start, making the beginning dull
Reveangie
Oh how this one bored me. After reading Black Waterlilies I expected much more from this novel. I am really disappointed. I didn't feel any suspense reading this book, I was just trudging and trudging through it and hoping I will reach the end quickly. The characters are unimpressive and bland, the story itself not developed enough to engage the reader. I wasn't even interested in finding out who's the actual killer, because the victims were just random people. Additionally, the parts narrated b ...more
Miglė
It was easy to read, but less thrilling than you expect from a 'thriller'.
The author did a good job by describing Île de la Réunion very vividly, its nature and different people (nationalities, religions etc) living there, but I found it more like a travel guide than a gripping crime novel. Some reviewers said other books by this author are more 'thriller-like', maybe I'd try another one.
Harvee
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had me in tears towards the end. Excellent plotting and characters, as usual!
Vinh Dang
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
not a bad one, but if you read "les nympheas noirs" before ...
Ananya M
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book doesn't let you rest until you finish it. Brilliant plot that keeps you on the edge till the end. Bussi has a style in writing thrillers. This is my second read of his book and I can't wait to lay my hands on another writing of his. He is awesome as is!
Shauna Daly
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF'ed at about 100 pages in
Jo
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this - good characters and story with twists and turns, but interesting to also learn more about Reunion.
Hung Nguyen
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This is a good stories, with a few loose ends though. It is not as good as Black Water Lilies, but the reading is really enjoyable. Looking forward other masterpieces by Michel Bussi.
Paul
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picture the scene - an idyllic resort on the island of Réunion. Martial and Liane Bellion are enjoying the perfect moment with their six-year-old daughter. Turquoise skies, clear water, palm trees, a warm breeze... Then Liane Bellion disappears. She went up to her hotel room between 3 and 4 pm and never came back. When the room is opened, it is empty, but there is blood everywhere. An employee of the hotel claims to have seen Martial in the corridor during that crucial hour.

I came across this
Toby Turner
Interesting read in an unusual setting in comparison to my usual reads. Good pace although it felt quite generic in concept. Entertaining whilst never really kicking into high gear for me.
Helen
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this author ,this personally for me isn't his best but that's just cause I prefer the concept of the previous two more, not cause it's any less of a great novel ,it is a good well thought out read ,it's an action thriller with a ton of suspense and u can visualise it really well ,u hold your breath at points and also can feel the plight and desperation of others ,u are rooting for them and yet u not sure if u should be
It has mystery an u will find yourself thinking after u have read some c
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• L'Horizon à l'envers
  • Il est grand temps de rallumer les étoiles
  • La jeune fille et la nuit
  • Soeurs (Commandant Martin Servaz, #5)
  • Complot
  • La fille de Brooklyn
  • Territoires (Victor Coste, #2)
  • La vie secrète des écrivains
  • Ghost In Love
  • Le Service des Manuscrits
  • Le parfum du bonheur est plus fort sous la pluie
  • Un appartement à Paris
  • Complètement cramé!
  • M, le bord de l'abîme
  • le douzième chapitre
  • Code 93
  • 幻夜 [Gen'ya]
  • Toutes blessent, la dernière tue
Michel Bussi est un auteur et politologue français, professeur de géographie à l'université de Rouen. Il est spécialiste de géographie électorale.

Michel Bussi is one of France's most celebrated crime authors. The winner of more than 15 major literary awards, he is a professor of geography at the University of Rouen and a political commentator. After the Crash, his first book to appear in English,

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...