Start by marking “Driven” as Want to Read:
Driven

Driven

Eighteen-year-old Oliver’s troubles don’t end when he’s released from prison. He has nowhere to go, and he can’t even think about moving past his crimes while trying to survive homelessness.

Helping an elderly woman after a fall guides Oliver into at least a temporary home. In exchange for odd jobs and some assistance, he’s welcomed into a life with the old twin spinsters,
Published March 7th 2017 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Driven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driven

☆ Todd
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it

I found this one to be just okay, but definitely not love.

For much of the book, it didn't really feel like there was much going on, especially for a 210 page story.

Plus, although the MC's are 18 and 'a number slightly larger' (we aren't told a definitive age,) to me the story read much more Young Adult than New Adult.

Same as with the book, I 'liked' both Ollie and Simon, but it wasn't love. For one, they didn't actually spend that much on-page time together, which is about the only way to sell
Trisha Harrington
4.5 I wanted more stars!

This book had my attention at the blurb. It sounded like my type of read. It was just as good as I wanted and a lot more emotional than I was expecting. I wasn't expecting sunshine and rainbows, but the pain and torment Oliver went through really had me connecting with him. I wanted his life to improve drastically and I wanted him to recover from the trauma of his past.

I liked the relationships he built with Tude and Vera, the twins, and Simon, his love interest. I also
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

3.5 Stars

This was an okay read. It was good, just not great. Ollie is 18 and has been through some really tough times. He's lost his father and sister, been in prison, lived on the streets and has had to do things he's ashamed of to survive on the streets. Ollie is so broken and my heart broke for him. But as much as this young man has been through, his and Simon's characters came off as immature. The story had a very young adult vibe, rather than the new adult one, I would have expected.

The wr
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
DNF, therefore no rating.

Wasn't that into the story from the beginning but at first it wasn't really bad so I kept reading. It went downhill fast though. The last straw though was how the other characters handle the PTSD and anxiety from Ollie. Telling him to just "get over it" and to just not freak out. Or calling an anxiety attack a "tantrum". And that from his PO who should know better because it's his fucking job!

"You need to face your fears and try to get over the anxiety."
Things like this
Alex (lexdidemsbookcorner)
Review to come
Jesse Nicholas
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it

Driven by MB Mulhall is a young adult contemporary about a boy who is taken in by kind elderly ladies who want to help him out. He comes with a ton of dark secrets that creep into his everyday life. Mix that with the cute boy next door and we have a hankering for a good story.

My Likes

Multi-Level Characters

Driven houses many different types of characters. It has our troubled protagonist, Oliver, that just wants to move on with his life but his past keeps creeping behind every corner. The cute
Sieran
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oliver was pretty likable from the start, and you really sympathize with him even before you find out his full backstory. (view spoiler)

Homophobia was surprisingly not as pronounced in Driven as it typically is in contemporary YA gay romances. (view spoiler)
Donna
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

The blurb gave me the idea that this was going to be a very angsty, dark story, and to some extent it was, but the intense romance that normally accompanies such angst was absent here. Driven is a young adult tale, and though the romance between Oliver and Simon is present, it wasn’t the be all and end all when it came to relaying this story.

Oliver an eighteen year old, ex-con, streetkid is our main character. We spend an awful lot of time in his head with his depressing, self-loathing,
Fiona Lyle
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review at: https://optimummblog.wordpress.com/20...

I don’t really know where to start with this review that would even come close to doing this book, and what I can only describe as a phenomenal piece of writing proper justice. I also don’t want to give anything about the story away because the way the story builds, progresses and flows is something you need to experience yourself. From the very first paragraph, I was completely and utterly hooked and read it straight through in one sitting
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: abc, m-m, meh
Ok, so if we overlook the fact that a large portion of the book is highly unlikely, It's a good story. It would be awesome if old ladies would happily take in a lodger in the form of a teenage boy who has been released from prison - without even asking his crime! - but I don't think I'd be so generous. Maybe those ladies exist somewhere out there, who knows. That aside, I actually liked the characters, they are a loving and compassionate bunch and despite Oliver's personal story being a pretty s ...more
Mercedes
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, ya
Les Joseph
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
It's always an interesting experience when I read a book by a new to me author. I read the blurb for M.B. Mulhall's new book, Driven and was immediately intrigued. I am a huge lover of YA books, and Harmony Ink Press always puts out top notch books, so I was definitely looking forward to reading this one. I liked this book, unfortunately I didn't love it, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of good things going on here.

Oliver and Simon were likable characters. I was really invested in Oli
Ariel
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-book-reviews
The Boy Next Door

Do you come from a troubled past? Did your teenage years and High School make you wish they never were? Then you might connect with this book.

The story is told from Oliver's point of view. He is the main character in the story. He comes from a very troubled and traumatic past. I won't go into detail because it would be a big spoiler. A wrong decision lands him in prison and when he comes out he has nowhere to go. Helping an older lady home gives him a place to stay with her an
Lori
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bmbr-reads, 2017
2.5
I loved the blurb and the promise of this book, it is fair to say though the writing style didn't quite work for me.

I liked the way MB Mulhall set up the story; chapter one gave me a taste of something terrible to coma and it did make me want to read more. It was dramatic enough, written with just the right amount of information given and withheld and I was absolutely eager for more. Moving on into the story, I liked the whole premise of it and I liked the characters (particularly the twins!)
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Arc provided my publisher

I didn't love this story, I do love the cover though!

Karen
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Originally posted at ScatteredThoughtsAndRogueWords.com
3 out of 5 stars

I found this book a frustrating combination of a nice spin on the hurt/comfort trope, but with frequent sections that bothered me: long boring inner monologues by the main character, Oliver, and moments of incredible stupidity that literally made me want to DNF the book several times. I persevered because I was reading it for this review, and in the end I was glad I did, but it was close!

Oliver is a homeless young man who is
Natosha Wilson
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a sad story. It is heartbreaking the things that Oliver went through starting at a very young age.

Oliver has not had an easy life by far. At the age of eighteen he is homeless and no future in sight. He is not ready to give up on life yet but the guilt that he carries around with him may end up doing him in one day if he does not learn to deal with it.

One day a lady that is passing him by falls and asks for his help. Of course Oliver is not going to refuse helping her when she needs
Ana
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gbr
I loved Oliver. I have a thing for broken characters and the ones dealing with mental illness, which is something I try to see very critically. I was pleased with the result on that matter, it was easy to see from the start that Oliver had important anxiety issues, and it was portray in a very realistic way.

The romantic part of the story was a little bit underwhelming, but otherwise it would have felt forced. It did had some very beautiful moments and the shyness of both MC was something very sw
Nurvilya,
Mar 30, 2018
Whittney Mercer
May 10, 2017
Stephany Cissy
rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2017
MikeLoud
Jan 14, 2018
Joyfully Jay
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kirsty
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

M.B. Mulhall executes her storytelling perfectly in Driven, propelling the narrative by arousing a range of emotions within her reader. Our compassion towards Oliver’s situation soon becomes frustration at his unwillingness to let anyone in. We then feel a sense of hope as his relationship with Simon begins, which is quickly replaced by fear and disgust as Oliver is manipulated and used by low life, Marcus. We empathize with Oliver’s shame about the car accident in
Karol
Jan 05, 2019
Dena
Dec 17, 2018
Matt Miller
Feb 21, 2019

• Unicorns and Rainbow Poop (Vocal Growth #2)
  • Intervention
  • The Night Screams
  • A Broken Kind of Life
  • Eye of the Storm (Lords of Arcadia, #2)
  • Wild Summer (Love Story Universe)
  • Slaying Isidore's Dragons
  • Heartless (Keeping Secrets #1)
  • Outshine the Stars
  • You Belong With Me
  • Seidman
  • The Thunder in His Head
  • Cub
  • Private Display of Affection
  • Last of the Summer Tomatoes (Young Love's Journey #1)
  • Don't Judge a Book by its Cover (Most Popular Guy in the School, #1)
  • Pukawiss The Outcast (The Two-spirit Chronicles, #1)
MB Mulhall is a published author who typically has way too much on her plate. In between making vlogs and writing books, she tests her patience and pays the bills by helping to manage a home for developmentally disabled adults. She has a BA in Comparative Literature and Languages from Hofstra University as well as an Elementary Education degree from Georgian Court University.

She’s a crafter, a pe