Start by marking “The Witching Hour” as Want to Read:
The Witching Hour

The Witching Hour

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
From the writer of BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN and BATMAN: HUSH

The atmostpheric graphic novel by award-winning writer Jeph Loeb (BATMAN, BATMAN: DARK VICTORY) with art by Chris Bachalo (STEAMPUNK, DEATH: THE HIGH COST OF LIVING) is now available once more.

The setting is Manhattan, where the mysterious Amanda Collins moves through the troubled lives of ordinary people armed
Published April 7th 2009 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Witching Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witching Hour

Anto Tilio
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quedé gratamente sorprendida con la hora bruja.
Nos cuenta las andanzas de un grupo de brujos/wiccan que se dedican a repartir una especie de justicia y oportunidades en Manhattan. La líder del grupo es la Sra Blanca, que tiene toda la facha y una historia fascinante. Y en su tarea la acompañan Gris, su protector libertino; Azul, el jugador tranquilo; Negro, el pequeño citador compulsivo y Roja, la misteriosa Lolita.
Tiene una estructura narrativa que se vale de varios estilos para ir dándonos a c
Orrin Grey
I'm a fan of Jeph Loeb's collaborations with Tim Sale, and I like Chris Bachalo, but I'd never even heard of this book for some reason before I saw a copy in a used bookstore.

The writing is a weird combo of Wiccan philosophy (or maybe pseudo-Wiccan philosophy, I don't honestly know) and EC-style "they had it coming" horror stories, done in what I've come to think of as the sort of Vertigo style, with lots of quirky characters giving long philosophical monologues. It's definitely not Loeb's best
It wasn't bad, just not for me. It felt choppy and I felt disconnected from it. Basically its kind of wiccan-themed vengeance horror shorts. Following Ms. White (with snippets of Gray, Black, Blue, & Red) through horror/crime stories of people getting whats coming to them. I think maybe recommend for bigger fans than me of Twilight Zone and Sin City.
Sarahsnl
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't grab me at all despite topic and creator team being right up my alley....
míol mór
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
"Do you believe in the Wiccan Rede?
"

There are five of them, like points of a pentagram.
Gray is a charmer. In more than one sense of the word.
Black is a mulatto child prodigy, who only talks through quotes from Victorian writers. And he loves to talk.
Blue instead never speaks. He likes to play card games, though.
Ms. White was Amanda Collins, illicit daughter of an Irish Wiccan witch and a pastor. In one of her lives, that is.
And then there is Red,
No Books
May 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Forever and a day.

"Do you believe in the Wiccan Rede?
"

There are five of them, like points of a pentagram.
Gray is a charmer. In more than one sense of the word.
Blue instead never speaks. He likes to play card games, though.
And t
Online Eccentric Librarian
Witching Hour is an interesting, non-linear, philosphical story with the character of a witch named White at the center of it. Although there are 4 other witch characters (grey, red, blue, black), they appear mostly as peripheral characters, tengentially and then more distinctly related to White at the center.

What appears as random vignettes slowly begin to coalesce by the end of the book into a single storyline told from several perspectives. It's about White's past and her idealism - she goes
Jacquelyn
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: belong-to-adam
I liked the story, the witches having color-names so nobody knows their real names. White's endless scarf in a 90's stars-and-moon pattern bugged me--I'm not convinced that pattern would have existed in the mid-1600's. But I did love it turning into a wrap-dress, it would be easy to make a costume of it with a white wig and her clock necklace. The art was pretty good, I know I'm in the minority saying that it wasn't fantastic (at least my household's minority), but at least there were a few pane ...more
Evan
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy book laid out in beautiful black and white ink layout. Love how Bachelo frames or lack there of his scenes and how Art Thibert conservatively colors and inks the art. If you like your comics using classic 90's comic drawing and 80's style of inking you'll love this comic.

If you liked Sandman and into witch craft mythology then you might like this comic. It's no Sandman by any means and that may be the issue. The story is very simple but the art work saves it. Where as Sandman had a knock
Ben
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story was fine. Vertigo's output of amazing fantasy and sci-fi was so great in the 90's-00's that this might get understandably lost in the crowd.

However, Chris Bachalo, one of comic's finest artists, is at his zenith here. Truly great work from a fantastic artist.
Annette Johnson
I'm all for non-linear storytelling but at least make the connections clear in the end. Between telling what you could probably call the main character's backstory and stringing in her compatriots as they give people what they have coming, I lost interest halfway through. The comic has a great concept that harkens back to The Endless but the execution is sadly lacking. Also, the Shade The Changing Man reference seemed more like a plug for the Vertigo series than a fun cameo. I may give this anot ...more
Morgan
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
This was very messy if you ask me. The plot was too jumbled and the art wasn't very good either. Plus I was expecting more fictitious witches then Wicca new age stuff that was popular in the 90s. Not to mention this book was historically inaccurate with Salem. One they never burned the "witches" and two they were all Puritans, so no one was hung for religious reasons. UGH! I thought I was going to like this book too, nope.
Michelle Cristiani
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I only give this four stars because the illustrations are literally breathtaking. It's beautiful to look at, and flows perfectly with the story. The story itself though, leaves a lot to be desired. Five immortals go around 'helping' people but it looks to me like all they do is get revenge, and punish addicts for bad choices. We only really get to know two of the five anyway. I was left feeling like I came in the middle of a series and was waiting for the backstory.
Ming Siu
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Nice art, if a little confusing at times in the extreme close ups. The story, though, is needlessly convoluted, mixing timelines to no real dramatic effect, and the plot twists fall rather flat. It would probably have done better with some judicious editing - lots of it feels like pages upon pages of text with a few accompanying illustrations.
Stacey
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd bought "Wishes" on sale (it was about $1.50) at the Underworld in April of last year, because, silly as it sounds, it called to me. I read it all in one day, (though not in one sitting, as I was out and about), and it was fantastic in and of itself. It, too will become an icon project. Then, I was going to recommend it to Chuck (the good-comic-book go-to guy), and he gave me the other two.
Paulie Streeter
i love this and still read from time to time well put together pagan and magick and Wiccan influences as well as interesting characters and non formulaic design organic comuc book pages and love the stylistic art and lettering use of runes and unpredictable writing great read I still enjoy
Scribe
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Enjoyed this quite a lot actually, clever little story jumping between times and lives, with enough threads to keep the interest going. Some nice on-the-fence morality about free will and how much we should intervene in people's lives, etc.
Naomi
Jul 17, 2007 marked it as to-read
I've promised Jess, cross my heart, to read this before we next meet. Apparently it is one I should read before I die. Certainly, if I don't read it before I next see her I will be dead. Nothing like the fear of Jess to get a gal to reading...
Rosa
I liked this; not what I was expecting at all. Admittedly there were two parts where things went a bit wonky and I had a hard time following the story, but the rest of it came together quite nicely, if a bit sadly.
Liz
Wonderful. I want more.
Ian Roditi
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you believe in the Wiccan Rede?
That everything we do comes back to us threefold?

I do, forever and a day.
Matt Hartzell
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic Fans
Shelves: ogn-mainstream
This was another graphic novel I could not get into.
Mindy
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was really good. I liked it. White was pretty cool. Gray was ever amusing.
Sheri
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, comic-g-n
I liked the story but there was so much going on visually that I kept getting pulled out of the narrative.

I really enjoyed the art but in some places it was so busy that it became hard to follow.
Maureen Albertson
  • Madame Xanadu, Volume 2: Exodus Noir
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 9: Dead of Winter
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 6: The Big Book of War
  • Batman: Harley and Ivy
  • Phonogram, Vol. 2: The Singles Club (Phonogram, #2)
  • Haunt, Volume 2
  • Delirium's Party: A Little Endless Storybook
  • Savage Dragon, Vol. 1: Baptism of Fire
  • The Complete Strangers in Paradise, Volume 1
  • We Hate Tank Girl
  • Transformers: Autocracy
  • Jonah Hex: No Way Back
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 4: Gorilla Warfare
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major
More about Jeph Loeb...