Start by marking “Conan, Vol. 2: The God in the Bowl and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Conan, Vol. 2: The God in the Bowl and Other Stories

Conan, Vol. 2: The God in the Bowl and Other Stories (Conan Ongoing Series #2)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,330 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The critically acclaimed and award-winning creative team behind the runaway-hit revival are back with a brand new adaptation of one of Conan creator Robert E. Howard's best-known tales. Award-winning writer Kurt Busiek and artists Cary Nord and Dave Stewart render the glorious suspense of Howard's beloved "The God in the Bowl" in all its terrifying detail, as well as intro ...more
Published October 18th 2005 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Conan, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan, Vol. 2

Terence
A weak 3 stars:

The artwork was good, though not as good as I found in Volume 3. The titular "god in the bowl" was particularly lackluster and disappointing.

Howard's story, "The God in the Bowl" is good, and the artists do a fine job of visualizing it. I wasn't as fond of the filler that preceded and followed it, however.

I did find it amusing that the thieves whom Conan frames in the first chapter bear a strong resemblance to Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser.

* Random thoughts:

(1) Why is the Ibis priest
James
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Conan done did it again, dog nabbity. I like how he meets someone who can go toe to toe with him. And I like all the dark, crazy magic. Can't wait for the next adventure. Thanks, Dark Horse.
Koen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't like it as much as the previous volume, but still a nice piece of Conan history told in this one.
The barbarian still clings hard to his sword and his beliefs.
Robert
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Are Into the Canon of Conan
Shelves: conan, hoopla
A locked-door murder mystery centered on a loin-cloth clad barbarian? A titanic showdown between good and evil priests featuring Hyboria's biggest female badass this side of Red Sonja? Yes, and yes, please! Busiek's writing remains enthralling, and the as for the art...well, here's a taste!

Abhinav
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
You can read the full review over at my blog:

With Conan Vol.1: The Frost Giant’s Daughter and Other Stories, Dark Horse embarked on a bold strategy where the classic Conan stories were shaped anew, with writer Kurt Busiek putting together a continuous narrative that charted the rise of Conan from a simple Cimmerian warrior to the King of Aquilonia. With the addition of fantastic artists like Cary Nord and Dave Stewart, the series began well with the first
Heath Lowrance
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Busiek and Nord lose very little of the momentum they gained in the first volume with this second collection from Dark Horse. This one is built around the REH tale "The God in the Bowl", and once again Busiek does an admirable job of weaving the circumstances around the Howard vision into a fully realized story. Still learning the ways of so-called civilization, brash young Conan gets caught up in a sort of locked room mystery, accused of murder, only to discover the actual killer is something t ...more
Paul Mirek
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2000s, horror, fantasy, mythic
It's CSI: Hyboria as Conan stumbles into the murder investigation of a rich museum owner--and considering he was on his way to steal one of the gentleman's priceless artifacts, the young Cimmerian finds himself the prime suspect. The ensuing investigation is prime fodder for Busiek to expand on Robert E. Howard's well-known cynicism about civilization in general, and Cary Nord and Dave Stewart's dynamic, lush artwork is remarkably suited to the tense moments as the evidence against our hero moun ...more
Angel
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Conan the Barbarian, fantasy readers
I continue to enjoy this revival series from Black Horse. In this second volume, we still see a young Conan. Sure, he is quite the thief and very cunning, but he is still fairly inexperienced and learning fast. So, I find it interesting to find how Conan evolves over time. In this volume, he meets Janissa the Widowmaker, an assassin who works for the Bone Woman, and he makes a new enemy in Thoth Amon, the sorcerer. Conan enjoys life to the fullest, but he also has to rely on his cunning and smar ...more
Brandon
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book continues the excellent Dark Horse series that adapts the original Conan stories to the comic book artform. In this book we see more of the Hyperborean world that Conan inhabited and the nefarious people that populated it. Here we see the historical truths that influence R.E. Howard with evil Egyptian mages and Greco/Roman society that Conan stumbles into and immediately finds fault with. These influences - often lost in the adventure of the original tales - are brilliantly visualized ...more
Logan
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I complained how in the previous volume of Kurt Busiek's Conan that the Frost Giant's Daughter story felt like an unrelated episode within a much more interesting tale. I suppose that it doesn't help that said episode was an original tale by Robert E. Howard, and a much weaker one compared to other early Conan shorts. Thankfully, The God in the Bowl works better since it serves as a setup for this volume's particular tale.

This second volume cements in my mind that, more than any other writer, Ku
Andrew
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dudeness, comics
Conan keeps on keepin on in this reimagining of Howard's God in the Bowl story. This story is very interesting for a number of reasons (read the terrific piece at the end) but I got the feeling at the beginning of the tale that civilization sort of degrades our mighty hero's fierce purpose. We find the Cimmerian imbibing in a tavern full of questionable characters with three sheets to the wind, a bit directionless, aching for adventure. Well, it arrives, and thus begins our dark tale of dark god ...more
Christopher
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Conan is awesome. Graphic novel Conan is arguably more awesome. It's hard to separate one's picturing of Conan the Cimmerian from the original artwork by Frank Frazetta. So to have an entire graphic novel filled with similarly styled art and using Howard's own words? GOLD.
anthony e.
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am swiftly falling irrevocably in love with Conan stories, in whatever medium they arrive in.
Nuno Ferreira
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Continuo então a participar no ciclo de leituras em volta de Robert E. Howard, um dos meus autores de eleição, que dura até meados de dezembro. “O Deus no Sarcófago” é mais um belo exemplo daquilo que o autor americano conseguiu fazer com o seu protagonista. Mais uma vez, Howard deixa claro que foi muito mais que o pai de um herói fanfarrão, dançando entre o policial e o horror com carisma e um talento irrevogável.

A proficiência de Howard salta à vista neste conto, onde não só testemunhamos a gi
Chris Robertson
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not much to add to my assessment of the previous volume: art is still muted, yet powerful and Busiek is an awesome caretaker to Howard's legacy. I like the new character Janissa: though a modern addition to the storyline, the place she carves in this world is so memorable, it feels like she should have been there all along.
Nicholas
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Started good but then sadly went off into a "What!?!? Girls can fight too?" BS story that was tired, lazy, and completely wrong for Conan. Pretty disappointing. But the art was much better than in the previous volumes.
Richard Harrison
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great collection by Busiek and Nord. Love the stories of younger, cunning Conan - all about getting paid and fighting until he drops.
Dave
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 overall. The artwork really drove my appreciation, but the story was fine.
Michael
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another set of well told tales, looking forward to the next volume!
Jordan
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars....Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of Earth under his sandaled feet...."

Thus the world was
Chip Hunter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This second volume in Darkhorse's new Conan line finds our hero in the lands of 'civilization' for the first time. In Nemedia, he find that speed and strength alone won't get him too far, as he becomes entangled in an intricate plot to steal an artifact (or be framed for doing so). After discovering how treacherous city life can be, Conan helps in solving a murder case and then finds himself playing the guard for a priest of Ibis on a desperate mission. The whole story is full of action, humor, ...more
Scott Lee
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Accidentally read this one out of order. Perhaps that explains the vast jump between volume "0" ("Born on the Battlefield") and the stories here. Fun enough, much like the material in the first volume I read, but that volume did feel more coherent.

My favorite part, actually, was the wonderful essay at the end that spoke of Robert E. Howard's lengthy correspondence with H.P. Lovecraft, and their debate about barbarism and civilization. Howard's ruminations on the subject were at least as fascina
Jenn Myers
Mar 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans/Comic book fans
This one was even better than the first collection. Busiek takes us further to the south, where we see the trickster side of Conan (and Nord illustrates a goofier Conan than I think I've ever seen.)

After trickster Conan, we dip into a "locked room, who dun it," sort of adventure that leads us into further plot developments between two powerful magician-priests, and their opposing ideology.

Nord's art for the first part of the book seems as if he's rushing it, but the loving detail that he and St
Abe Mercer
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I would give this five stars if it weren't for one thing: Janissa's origin story.
Sure we get this great new character (not taken from the original source material) a woman who is Conan's equal in battle, but how did she become so strong? Unlike Conan who seems to get his strength in battle through his own sense of superiority and being born into a superior race of hillpeople, Janissa had to be raped countless times by demons to become a warrior!
Let's stick with the characters and story lines th
Jon Schafle
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Continuing the adaptations of Robert E. Howard's original stories this volume introduces Thoth-Amon, the dangerous priest of the dark serpentine god Set, the skilled assassin Janissa the Widowmaker and her mysterious benefactor the Bone Witch. Conan continues his journey, making unlikely alliances and dangerous foes, and cementing his hate for wizards and affirmation that nothing beats a strong back and a sharp piece of steel in your hand.
Eric
"more of fantasy's manliest man"

this volume continues conan's accounts across hyperborea and it is full of the same swords, women, and magic that made the original conan stories so great. once again the art is great (nord does a great job of painting psuedo-smudged art that is hard to describe but very appealing to the eye). also it adapts another howard original story that conan fans will immediately remember (its in the title)
Jaime
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conan as he should be

First, I have to comment on just how much I love the artwork in this book. The watercolor style and mix of hard and soft line width is outstanding and unlike anything else I've read. The storylines are good and the characterisation and voicing of Conan is spot on. Great series and highly recommended.
Julia
Good story, the artwork was mostly excellent and strangely this one seemed a little less sexist than the first one.

Can I just say though - Worst way to train someone to be a fighter EVER. Who does that? But hey, it worked, so I guess it just goes to show why I'm not in charge of training assassin-warriors for old sorcerer ladies.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The new Conan comic series does good justice to the Robert E. Howard stories. While the art does come and go in quality at time, overall it is a good. The adaptations of the original stories is well done. The fill in stories are also well done and follow the flow of the Character's life as written by Howard. Recommended to comic fans and Very recommended to Howard and Conan fans.
Valerio
Questi volumi raccolgono la nuova serie di fumetti dedicata al personaggio di Conan dalla Dark Horse.

I volumi seguono la carriera del Cimmero secondo la cronologia definita da Dale Rippke.

Ogni volume �� centrato su una storia originale di Howard che viene estesa dallo scrittore della serie nel rispetto della suddetta cronologia.

• Conan, Vol. 5: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 1
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
  • The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #2)
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • The Goon, Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns)
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;
More about Kurt Busiek

Conan Ongoing Series (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories